George Burke knew the Seguines when he was growing up, and he loved their Staten Island home. After returning from military service, Mr. Burke found the Seguine House in disrepair. Then, Mrs. Seguine, who had since moved to Georgia, called him and asked him if he would consider saving it. After a lot of work -- and many memorable moments -- the Seguine house has been restored to its former glory.
Shortly after the abolition of slavery, black Americans began to settle in the Staten Island community now known as Sandy Ground. The Harris brothers, among the first black property owners in the village, wanted to be farmers. They discovered that the soil was very sandy, but they found a crop -- strawberries -- that could thrive in the sandy soil. Sylvia D'Alessandro relates this and other stories.
Carl Rutberg is the executive director of the Alice Austen House Museum. More than 50 years after Alice Austen's death, the home and grounds remain a living part of the Staten Island community, with photography exhibitions, school group visits, lectures, and other cultural events.
For about 200 years, Richmond Town was the center of government and commercial life on Staten Island. In 1898, the decision was made to move the county seat to the northeast corner of the Island, and Richmond Town was left practically deserted. Meet the historical interpreters who help keep the town alive for people who visit there today.