MetroFocus

CRANSTON BREAKS BAD

Transcript

>>> EMMY AND TONY AWARD WINNER
BRIAN CRANSTON IS UP FOR ANOTHER
AWARD FOR HIS PORTRAYAL OF
HOWARD BIEL.
BEFORE HIS SUCCESS ON BROADWAY,
AND IN THE HUGELY POPULAR
TELEVISION SHOW "BREAKING BAD"
HE ALMOST CHOSE A DIFFERENT
CAREER.
SOMETHING THAT MIGHT SURPRISE
YOU.
I RECENTLY HAD A CHANCE TO CHAT
WITH HIM ABOUT HOW HE DECIDED TO
BECOME AN ACTOR AND WHETHER
THERE WILL BE A BREAKING BAD
MOVIE.
I WAS THINKING THIS IS
DIFFERENT.
I SAW INITIALLY YOU WERE IN
COLLEGE AND YOU WERE TAKING
POLICE SCIENCE COURSES.
>> YEAH.
>> MAYBE THIS IS MY DIRECTION.
>> RIGHT.
>> TALK ABOUT WHAT GOT YOU THERE
AND WHAT ALL OF A SUDDEN GOT YOU
TO SAY, YOU KNOW, I DISCOVERED
SOMETHING.
ACTING
>>WELL, AS WE WERE TALKING
BEFORE THE SHOW ABOUT THE
TREMENDOUS SIMILARITIES WITH OUR
BACKGROUND GROWING UP WITHOUT A
FATHER FOR A SIGNIFICANT PART OF
OUR LIVES.
WHEN I -- BEFORE I WAS A TEEN,
MY FATHER WAS GONE FROM THE
FAMILY.
MY BROTHER JOINED THE LAPD
GROUP.
I WAS A POOR KID IN THE SUBURB
OF LOS ANGELES.
THEY WENT TO HAWAII.
THE GROUP OF KIDS WENT TO
HAWAII.
I'M LIKE MY GOSH!
HE HAD THE NERVE OF SENDING ME A
POSTCARD OF A GIRL IN A BIKINI
ON THE BEACH.
THE SECOND YEAR HE WENT TO JAPAN
WITH THE GROUP.
I MEAN, THEY'RE TRAVELING!
THAT WAS IT.
WHEN I'M 16, OF AGE, I'M JOINING
THIS GROUP.
I GRADUATED TOP OF MY CLASS.
OUT OF 111 16-YEAR-OLDS I HAD NO
IDEA I HAD ANY APTITUDE FOR
POLICE WORK.
I WENT TO EUROPE.
IT WAS GREAT.
IT WAS ME SEARCHING FOR A FATHER
FIGURE.
>> YEAH.
>> AND A MASCULINE SENSIBILITY.
A POLICEMAN AND I RESPECT THEM
AND THE INSTITUTION OF LAW, AND
I THOUGHT THIS IS WHAT I'M GOING
TO DO.
AND THEN IN COLLEGE, I TOOK AN
ACTING CLASS BECAUSE I PLAYED
A
AROUND IN ACTING WHEN I WAS
YOUNGER.
A YOUNG COUPLE IS KISSING ON A
PARK BENCH.
IT WAS LIKE MY GOSH.
AND I'M KISSING THIS REALLY
PRETTY GIRL.
>> I CAN DO THAT.
>> THAT WAS MY -- THAT'S WHAT I
WAS TASKED TO DO.
>> AH.
>> IT WAS THAT MOMENT I WENT
MAYBE I DON'T WANT TO BE A
POLICEMAN.
MAYBE I CAN PLAY A POLICEMAN!
GET TO KISS A PRETTY GIRL.
>> RIGHT.
>> THAT WAS YOUR TRANSITION.
>> YES.
YES.
A VERY NOBLE CAUSE OF GIRLS IS
WHY.
>> BUT, YOU KNOW, IT GOT YOU TO
THE RIGHT PLACE.
>> I THINK SO.
YEAH.
I THINK SO.
>> YEAH.
>> I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT.
>> AND NOT JUST BASED ON
SUCCESS.
PEOPLE CAN BE SUCCESSFUL AND NOT
LOVE WHAT THEY DO.
BUT HEARING YOU TALK, IT SEEMS
LIKE YOU GOT TO BE THE
EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS OF DOING
SOMETHING YOU LOVE TO DO.
BOY, IT'S A MARVELOUS COMMENTARY
ON A LIFE.
>> IT WAS SOMETHING A CREDO I
CAPE UP WITH WHEN I WAS 22 YEARS
OLD.
AND I FINISHED READING THE BOOK.
I WAS ON THE ROAD ON MY
MOTORCYCLE NOT KNOWING -- I WAS
BASICALLY RUNNING AWAY BECAUSE I
DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WANTED TO DO
OR SHOULD DO.
BUT I NEEDED THAT BUFFER TIME
JUST TO GROW UP.
JUST TO FIGURE OUT THAT IT'S
OKAY TO BE LOST BECAUSE YOU HAVE
AN OPPORTUNITY TO BE FOUND, IF
YOU'RE LOST.
AND FIND THE RIGHT PATH AS
OPPOSED TO A PATH.
AND I CAME UP WITH THIS CREDO
THAT I WAS GOING TO ATTEMPT TO
DO SOMETHING THAT I LOVED.
HOPEFULLY BECOME GOOD AT IT.
AS OPPOSED TO DOING SOMETHING I
WAS GOOD AT BUT DIDN'T LOVE.
AND I SIGNED OFF ON THAT AND SO
NO MATTER WHAT WAS GOING TO
HAPPEN, IN MY ACTING CAREER,
WHETHER IT MEANT AT THIS AGE I
WAS STILL HAD THREE ROOMMATES
AND WE WERE TRYING TO SHARE
SPAGHETTI DINNERS TOGETHER TO
SAVE MONEY.
IT DIDN'T MATTER.
I WAS ALL IN.
THIS IS WHAT I'M DOING.
AND I THINK BECAUSE OF THAT,
BECAUSE OF LOOKING AT THE LONG
ROAD OF IT, THE MARATHON IT IS,
I HAD NO DESIGNS ON I HAVE TO
REACH SOMETHING BY A CERTAIN
AGE.
>> YOU HAVEN'T SAID IF I'M NOT A
STAR BY --
>> I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT
BEING A STAR.
EVER.
I DIDN'T WANT -- MY GOAL WAS TO
BE ABLE TO HONESTLY SAY THAT I
MAKE A LIVING AS AN ACTOR.
NOW WHERE THAT LIVING WAS, I
WASN'T GOING TO SAY.
>> RIGHT.
>> I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SAY I
EARN MY LIVING AS AN ACTOR.
>> I'VE SEEN YOU TALK ABOUT
THIS.
ALL OF A SUDDEN 22 YOU SAID THIS
IS WHAT I WANT TO DO.
YOU HIT ABOUT 25 AND FROM THAT
POINT ON, YOU WERE ABLE TO DO
THAT.
>> YEAH.
>> YOU EARNED YOUR LIVING AS AN
ACTOR.
>> YEAH.
>> AND THEN IT GOT MUCH MORE
THAN JUST EARNING A LIVING.
YOU GOT "MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE."
IT WAS A MARVELOUS FAMILY
COMEDY.
IT WAS A COMING OF AGE FOR NOT
JUST THE CHILDREN BUT THE
ADULTS.
>> YEAH.
>> AND COMES "BREAKING BAD."
RIGHT.
"BREAKING BAD" HAS BEEN IN THE
MINDS OF MANY OF THE REALLY
RESPECTED CRITICS IN THAT
INDUSTRY DESIGNATED AS ONE OF
THE BEST TV SERIES EVER.
SOME HAVE SAID PERHAPS THE BEST
EVER.
WHEN YOU FIRST LOOKED AT THE
SELF-INCR
SCRIPT OR SYNOPSIS OF WHATEVER
YOU SAW FIRST, DID YOU HAVE ANY
SENSE FROM THE BEGINNING HOW
SUCCESSFUL IT WOULD BE?
>> NO ONE DOES.
NO ONE CAN.
THE ONLY THING THAT ANY ACTOR
CAN DO IS TO CORRECTLY EVALUATE
THE MATERIAL.
THE LEVEL OF THE MATERIAL.
I DON'T KNOW WHY I KNEW THIS
EARLY ON -- THE WRITTEN WORD.
THE STORY ITSELF IS THE MOST
IMPORTANT ELEMENT IN PERFORMANCE
ART BAR NONE.
NO EXCEPTIONS.
I KNOW IT.
ABSOLUTE.
THERE'S NO ARGUMENT TO THAT.
THERE'S NO WAY YOU CAN ARGUE
THAT.
IT IS THE POWER OF THE STORY
THAT WILL PROPEL AN ACTOR TO
WHATEVER HEIGHT THEY MAY BE ABLE
TO GET TO.
>> THEY MIGHT HAVE TALENTED BUT
IF THEY DON'T HAVE THE STORY.
>> RIGHT.
MERYL STREEP.
IF MERYL STREEP WAS GIVEN
C-LEVEL MATERIAL AND SHE WORKS
AT HER ABSOLUTE BEST, B.
THERE'S NO WAY IT CAN GO HIGHER.
MERYL STREEP!
YOU KNOW, IT'S LIKE THAT'S IT.
SO WHEN YOU SEE A-LEVEL
MATERIAL, WHICH WHEN I READ THE
PILOT SCRIPT FOR "BREAKING BAD,"
MY EYES -- I WENT OH!
>> RIGHT AWAY YOU SAW IT?
>> YES.
>> THIS COULD BE SPECIAL.
I WANT TO BE A PART OF IT.
IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING AS FAR
AS IS IT GOING TO BE SUCCESSFUL
IN THE EYES OF RATINGS OR MAKING
MONEY OR ALL THE THINGS THAT ARE
OUT OF OUR CONTROL.
THE ONLY THING I CAN BE INVESTED
IN IS THAT CHARACTER AND TELLING
THAT STORY THE BEST I CAN.
AND THEN IT'S LUCK.
>> LAST QUICK QUESTION ABOUT
"BREAKING BAD."
IS THERE A MOVIE COMING OUT?
>> NO.
>> BUT MY THOUGHT WAS, I WONDER
IF THERE'S A LOT OF BREAKING BAD
FANS OUT THERE SAYING WE DON'T
WANT ANYMORE.
IT WAS PERFECT.
>> YEAH.
>> YOU KNOW IT WAS FIVE SEASONS
OF PERFECTION THAT GOT BETTER
EACH YEAR.
>> RIGHT.
>> SO I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF
A LOT OF FANS ARE SAYING THAT.
BUT, YOU KNOW, I CAN GO BACK AND
WATCH IT IF I WANT ANOTHER
BREAKING BAD.
>> IT'S FUNNY WHEN YOU SAY THAT.
PEOPLE ASK ME.
IT WASN'T PROVEN THAT WALTER
WHITE DIED.
HE WAS SHOT BUT -- THEY DIDN'T
SAY HE WAS DEAD.
MAYBE HE'S STILL ALIVE AND THE
REBOOTS YOU SEE OF THE OLD
SERIES THAT ARE COMING BACK,
WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO DO A REBOOT
OF "BREAKING BAD" I FEEL THE
SAME WAY YOU DO.
NO.
I WOULDN'T.
BECAUSE I WAS FORTUNE, GREAT
GOOD FORTUNE OF BEING GIVEN A
BEAUTIFUL BEGINNING, MIDDLE, AND
END.
IT'S ALMOST LIKE THE PERFECT
MEAL.
YOU SIT DOWN AND HAVE A
WONDERFUL MEAL.
PERFECT.
JUST PERFECT.
AND IF SOMEONE BROUGHT YOU MORE
FOOD, OH, HUH, IT KIND OF RUINS
THE MEAL YOU HAD.
IT'S LIKE I DON'T NEED ANYMORE.
NOW I'M STUFFED.
>> EXACTLY.
>> NOW I DON'T FEEL AS GOOD.
>> IT'S BEEN A DELIGHT TO SPEND
SOME TIME WITH YOU.
I'VE BEEN A BIG FAN FOR A LONG
PERIOD OF TIME.
I WOULD LOOK FORWARD TO WHATEVER
THE NEXT PROJECTS WILL BE.
>> THANK YOU.
>> IT'S BEEN A PLEASURE.
THANK YOU SO MUCH.
>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
ยง


URL: https://www.thirteen.org/metrofocus/2019/05/cranston-breaks-bad/