MetroFocus

“THE KAVANAUGH EFFECT”

Transcript

>> I CATEGORICALLY AND
UNEQUIVOCALLY DENY THE
ALLEGATION BY DR. FORD.
I NEVER HAD ANY SEXUAL OR
PHYSICAL ENCOUNTER OF ANY KIND
WITH DR. FORD.
I NEVER ATTENDED A GATHERING
LIKE THE ONE DR. FORD DESCRIBES
IN HER ALLEGATION.
I'VE NEVER SEXUALLY ASSAULTED
DR. FORD OR ANYONE.
>> OVER THE YEARS, I TOLD VERY,
VERY FEW FRIENDS THAT I HAD THIS
TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCE.
I TOLD MY HUSBAND BEFORE WE WERE
MARRIED THAT I HAD EXPERIENCED A
SEXUAL ASSAULT.
I HAD NEVER TOLD THE DETAILS TO
ANYONE, THE SPECIFIC DETAILS,
UNTIL MAY OF 2012, DURING A
COUPLE'S COUNSELING SESSION.
>> DR. FORD, WITH WHAT DEGREE OF
CERTAINTY DO YOU BELIEVE BRETT
KAVANAUGH ASSAULTED YOU?
>> 100%.
>> THE KAVANAUGH CONTROVERSY
UNDERSCORES A WEEK OF HISTORIC
EVENT AND THE UPCOMING MIDTERM
ELECTIONS ARE LOOMING JUST 40
DAYS AWAY.
FROM INSIDE THE BELTWAY TO THE
ENTIRE COUNTRY, EVERYTHING GOING
ON, ON CAPITOL HILL AND INSIDE
THE WEST WING, WILL AFFECT THE
BALANCE OF POWER ON THE HILL AND
THE TONE IN THE COUNTRY.
FOR A SWEEPING OVERVIEW, I'M
PLEASED TO WELCOME ONE OF THE
BELTWAY'S BEST REPORTERS, MIKE
ALAN, CO-FOUNDER OF AXIOS.
NICE TO HAVE YOU HERE WITH US.
>> THANKS FOR HAVING ME ON THIS
HISTORIC DAY.
>> LET ME START WITH THE NOTION
OF THE MIDTERM ELECTIONS,
BECAUSE SO MUCH OF THE FOCUS HAS
BEEN ON THE IDEA OF WHO WILL BE
THE NEXT SUPREME COURT JUSTICE.
I THINK IN SOME WAYS WE'RE JUST
STARTING TO REALIZE THAT THE
ENTIRE CONTROVERSY THAT'S TAKING
PLACE IN WASHINGTON MAY HAVE A
SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THE
MIDTERMS.
SO LET'S TALK FIRST FROM THE
REPUBLICAN PERSPECTIVE.
LOOKING DOWN THE ROAD, WHAT DO
YOU THINK EITHER THE PLUSES OR
MINUSES OF WHAT'S HAPPENING HERE
MIGHT BE?
AND WE DON'T KNOW WHAT
ULTIMATELY THE SUCCESS OR
NONSUCCESS OF THIS NOMINATION,
BUT JUST WHAT'S PLAYED OUT SO
FAR, HOW DO YOU SEE IT PLAYING
OUT IN TERMS OF THE REPUBLICAN
PERSPECTIVE IN THE MIDTERM?
>> JUST PAST NOAH'S ARK DAY TO
THE MIDTERMS.
SO 40 DAYS, 40 NIGHTS UNTIL WE
VOTE FOR HOUSE AND FAT.
IN ALL THE TIME WE'VE BEEN
COVERING THESE MIDTERMS, THEY'VE
BEEN STATE AND LOCAL ELECTIONS.
THIS YEAR, THIS IS ESSENTIALLY A
NATIONAL MIDTERM.
AND A BIG PART OF THE REASON FOR
THAT IS THE SUPREME COURT
BATTLE.
BECAUSE ON A DEMOCRATIC SIDE,
WHERE YOU ALREADY HAVE SKY HIGH
ENTHUSIASM, WE SAW THAT TIME
AFTER TIME DURING THE PRIMARIES,
THAT'S BEEN HEIGHTENED WITH THE
SUPREME COURT FIGHT.
ON THE RIGHT, REPUBLICANS, BASED
ON WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN HERE,
EITHER THEY'RE GOING TO SEE WHAT
THEY GET FOR THEIR VOTE FOR
REPUBLICANS BY HAVING ANOTHER
LIFETIME SEAT ON THE SUPREME
COURT, OR THEY'RE GOING THE SEE
THE INCREDIBLE RISK AND A
FORESHADOWING OF WHAT COULD
HAPPEN IF DEMOCRATS GET MORE
POWER IN WASHINGTON.
>> SOME OF THE REPUBLICAN
PERSPECTIVES, AND TELL ME IF YOU
THINK THIS MIGHT PLAY OUT THIS
WAY, IF, IN FACT, THIS -- THE
JUDGE BRETT KAVANAUGH NOMINATION
IS NOT SUCCESSFUL, COULD YOU SEE
THE ARGUMENT BEING MADE,
STARTING IN WASHINGTON AND BEING
DIRECTED OUT TO ALL THOSE LOCAL
ELECTIONS, BASICALLY SAYING,
LOOK, THIS IS WHAT THEY'RE DOING
TO US UP HERE, THEY BEING THE
DEMOCRATS.
AND EVEN THOUGH WE LOST THIS
BATTLE, WE NEED YOU NOW TO RALLY
THE TROOPS.
SO COULD THIS BE A SITUATION
WHERE A LOSS IN WASHINGTON IN
TERMS OF -- AND WE DON'T KNOW
WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN WITH
THIS, AND I'M NOT SUGGESTING
WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN WITH THIS
NOMINATION.
BUT IF IT IS NOT SUCCESSFUL,
WOULD THIS BE A SPRINGBOARD FOR
RALLYING THE TROOPS?
>> SURE.
AND I THINK THAT'S A GREAT
POINT, JACK.
THE COUNTERPOINT TO THAT MIGHT
BE, AND THE REASON THAT I THINK
REPUBLICANS PLUNGED AHEAD WITH
THIS HEARING, EVEN THOUGH THE
OPTICS OF IT AREN'T GREAT,
REPUBLICANS WILL BE THE FIRST TO
TELL YOU THAT.
BUT OFFICIALS TOLD ME THAT THE
REASON THEY WERE GOING AHEAD
WITH THE HEARING, EVEN THOUGH
BRETT KAVANAUGH OBVIOUSLY IS
DAMAGED NO MATTER THE OUTCOME,
THAT THEY NEED TO SHOW
REPUBLICAN VOTERS, SHOW THE BASE
THAT THEY HAVE SOME SEMBLANCE OF
CONTROL.
IF THIS HEARING WERE TO NOT
HAPPEN, IF BRETT KAVANAUGH HAD
GONE DOWN, IF THERE WERE SOME
OTHER UNEXPECTED OUTCOME, IT
WOULD LOOK LIKE REPUBLICANS HAVE
LOST CONTROL OF THE POLITICS,
AND OF THE PROCESS.
SO WHAT ONE REPUBLICAN SAID TO
ME, IF WE DON'T HAVE THIS
HEARING, DEMOCRATS HAVE
AUTOMATICALLY WON.
SO REPUBLICANS HAVE BASICALLY
PLAYED FOR TIME HERE, BUT YOU'RE
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT IN THE LONG
RUN.
THAT COULD BE THE DYNAMIC.
>> ONE OF THE AREAS THAT WE
ALWAYS HEAR OR MOST RECENTLY
WE'RE HEARING ABOUT, IS THE
BATTLE OVER SUBURBAN WOMEN.
AND WE'VE SEEN A NUMBER OF TIMES
FOLKS SUGGESTING THAT THIS FIGHT
OVER JUDGE BRETT KAVANAUGH COULD
END UP MOVING THAT BLOC.
NOW, LOOK, THIS IS -- I THINK
IT'S ALWAYS A FALLACY, AND WE'VE
LEARNED THAT, TRYING TO SAY ONE
GROUP IS ALWAYS GOING TO VOTE
SOME WAY.
BUT THERE HAS BEEN A SUGGESTION
THAT THIS MIGHT MOVE SOME PEOPLE
WITHINHABLOC.
REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE RESULT
IS.
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?
>> FOR SURE THAT'S TRUE.
THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM FOR THE
TRUMP RE-ELECTION IN 2020, LET
ALONE IN THESE MIDTERMS, BECAUSE
IF YOU LOOK BACK AT HOW
PRESIDENT TRUMP BECAME PRESIDENT
TRUMP INSTEAD OF DONALD TRUMP,
SUBURBAN WOMEN WHO DIDN'T WANT
TO VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON WERE
AN IMPORTANT PART OF THAT.
BUT THOSE ARE THE EXACT VOTERS
WHO COULD WELL HAVE BEEN LOST
OVER ISSUES LIKE THE CHILDREN AT
THE BORDER.
SO THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION HAS
DONE VERY LITTLE TO KEEP THAT
GROUP OF VOTERS IN THE FOLD, AS
MY GRANDMOTHER WOULD SAY.
AND THEY'RE VERY MUCH AT RISK IN
THIS DEBATE.
AND JACK, THIS WILL HOW
DOWN REPUBLICANS ARE ON THIS
PROBLEM, HOW COGNIZANT THEY ARE
OF THIS PROBLEM.
ONE REPUBLICAN SAID TO ME, THE
ONLY REASSURANCE TO THEM, THE
ONLY REASON TO PLUNGE AHEAD THIS
WAY ON THE BRETT KAVANAUGH PICK,
IS THEY'VE ALREADY LOST THOSE
VOTERS, AND WE CAN'T LOSE THEM
TWICE.
>> THAT'S AN INTERESTING
OBSERVATION.
FROM THE DEMOCRAT'S PERSPECTIVE
COMING INTO THE MIDTERM, I HEARD
SOME FOLKS SAY THEY'RE IN A
WIN-WIN SITUATION HERE.
IF JUDGE KAVANAUGH GETS ON THE
BENCH, THEY'RE ABLE TO ARGUE, AS
THEY HAD BEFORE, HE'S FAR TOO
CONSERVATIVE FOR WHAT THE
DEMOCRATS SEE AS THE FUTURE OF
THIS COUNTRY, THE JUDICIAL
FUTURE.
IF HE IS BLOCKED AS A
CONSEQUENCE OF THEIR EFFORTS,
THEY CAN SAY LOOK, WE HAVEPOWE .
YOU HAVE TO HELP US.
AND THOSE ARE OBVIOUS UPSIDES.
ARE THERE DOWNSIDES DO YOU THINK
FOR THE DEMOCRATS GIVEN WHAT'S
PLAYING OUT ON THE HILL IN
WASHINGTON?
>> FUNNY THING YOU SHOULD ASK
THAT, BECAUSE A PRETTY GOOD
DEMOCRATIC STRATEGIST THAT'S
BEEN AROUND THE TRACK OR TWO,
WHOSE NAME IS BILL CLINTON, WAS
IN NEW YORK YESTERDAY.
HE WAS SAYING DEMOCRATS
SHOU
SHOULDN'T OVERPLAY THEIR HAND.
THAT GIVES YOU A SENSE OF
CONFIDENCE GOING INTO THE
KAVANAUGH HEARING AND THE
MIDTERMS.
ANY TIME YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT
OVERPLAYING YOUR HAND, YOU KNOW
YOU'RE FEELING GOOD.
BUT DEMOCRATS FEEL VERY GOOD
ABOUT THIS.
WHAT SOMEONE SAID TO ME IS,
CHUCK SCHUMER WILL GO TO BED
PRAYING THAT THIS HEARING WILL
HAPPEN.
>> WHAT DO YOU THINK -- AND I'M
ASKING YOU TO SORT OF PROJECT
WHAT FORMER PRESIDENT CLINTON
MET WHEN HE SAID DEMOCRATS
SHOULD BE AWARE OF OVERPLAYING
THEIR HAND.
I WONDER, AND I'M AN
INDEPENDENT, HAVE BEEN FOREVER,
I'M WONDERING IN THIS CURRENT
POLITICAL ERA IF THERE IS ANY
SUCH THING AS OVERPLAYING YOUR
HAND ANYMORE.
WHAT DO YOU THINK THE PRESIDENT
MEANT BY THAT?
>> THAT'S A GREAT POINT, JACK.
IN THIS ENVIRONMENT, TO BREAK
THROUGH, AS YOU KNOW, JACK, YOU
AND I ARE BOTH ENGAGED IN A
CONSTANT WAR FOR ATTENTION.
AND SO THAT SPEAKS TO YOUR POINT
ABOUT NOT OVERPLAYING YOUR HAND.
I THINK WHAT THE PRESIDENT WAS
REFERRING TO HERE IS THE FACT
THAT REPUBLICANS IN THE SUPREME
COURT CASE, IN THE VIEW OF
DEMOCRATS, ARE DOING THE
DEMOCRAT'S WORK FOR THEM BY
SETTING UP THESE OBJECTS TO MAKE
IT MUCH EASIER FOR THEM TO PICK
UP THE SUBURBAN WOMEN.
SO I THINK THAT WAS THE KEY
POINT.
THERE IS REPUBLICANS THAT ARE
OPEN THING LANE FOR US, LET'S
TAKE IT.
>> LET ME ASK YOU ABOUT ANOTHER
COUPLE OF EVENTS, AND
IMPLICATIONS.
WE SAW THE -- PRESIDENT TRUMP AT
THE U.N. AND WE KNOW WE'VE SEEN
THAT PICTURE BEFORE, THE
PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
SPEAKING BEFORE THE U.N.
AND WE SAW SOMETHING THAT WAS
PRETTY EXTRAORDINARY, AND THAT
WAS THE PRESIDENT WAS MAKING A
CLAIM THAT HE HAS MADE OFTEN,
SAYING THAT WITHIN THE FIRST TWO
YEARS, NOT EVEN FULLY TWO YEARS,
HIS ADMINISTRATION HAS GOTTEN
MORE DONE THAN ALMOST, I THINK
HE SAID, ALMOST ANY OTHER
ADMINISTRATION, AND HE WAS MET
BY LAUGHTER AT THE GATHERING
THERE IN THE U.N.
WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THAT?
>> WELL, WHAT I MAKE OF THAT IS
THAT IT BECAME INSTANTLY THE
BUZZ OF NEW YORK.
I WAS UP THERE YESTERDAY, AND
THIS IS CERTAINLY THE FIRST TIME
IN THE UNITED STATES HISTORY
THAT THE UNITED STATES PRESIDENT
HAS BEEN LAUGHED AT.
THE PRESIDENT SAID THEY WERE
LAUGHING WITH HIM, THAT THIS WAS
AN INTENDED LAUGH LINE.
WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE VIDEO, YOU
COULD SEE HE WAS FLUSTERED IN
THE MOMENT.
HE RECOVERED PRETTY WELL.
HE SAID, I DIDN'T EXPECT THAT
REACTION, BUT IT'S OKAY.
BUT IT DEFINITELY WAS A
SURPRISE.
IT WAS NOT PLANNED AS HE LATER
TRIED TO CLAIM.
AND THE KEY POINT IS THAT IS A
PROXY FOR HOW SO MANY PEOPLE IN
THAT ROOM FEEL.
IN FACT, AXIOS REPORTING POINTS
OUT THAT EUROPEAN DIPLOMATS HAVE
BECOME SO FRUSTRATED WITH THIS
PRESIDENT.
AND YOU JUST TAKE THAT SPEECH
WHERE HE GAVE SHOUTOUTS TO KIM
JONG-UN AND WHEN HE GAVE
SHOUTOUTS TO TRADITIONAL
AMERICAN ADVERSARIES, BUT HAD NO
LOVE FOR THE TRADITIONAL
AMERICAN ALLIES.
>> LAST THING I WANT TO TOUCH
BASE WITH YOU IS, AGAIN, IT'S
KIND OF UNUSUAL VIEWINGS.
WE KNOW THAT THE PRESIDENT OF
THE UNITED STATES DOES NOT LIKE
TO INTERACT WITH THE PRESS, AND
BY THE WAY, HE'S NOT ALONE IN
THAT.
WE HAVE SEEN A SERIES OF THE
LAST NUMBER OF PRESIDENTS THAT
HAVE NOT BEEN COMFORTABLE DOING
THAT.
BUT WE SAW HIM IN WHAT SEEMED TO
BE AN ALMOST IMPROMPTU GATHERING
FOR ALMOST 80 MINUTES,
CONVERSATIONS THAT FOCUSED ON
THE JUDGE KAVANAUGH FOM NATION.
-- NOMINATION.
AND HE HAD HIS OWN TALKING
POINTS.
THERE WAS NOT A SCRIPT THERE.
WERE YOU SURPRISED THAT HE
ENGAGED IN THAT TO START WITH,
AND WERE YOU SURPRISED AT THE
TONE AND APPROACH HE TOOK TO THE
ISSUE?
>> JACK, THIS WAS EPIC.
NO ONE DECIDES PRESIDENT TRUMP
WOULD SAY SOME OF THE THINGS HE
SAID THERE.
NO ONE BESIDES PRESIDENT TRUMP
COULD GET AWAY WITH SAYING THE
THINGS HE SAID THERE.
AND I TALKED AFTERWARDS WITH
SOMEBODY THAT'S BEEN WITH THE
PRESIDENT A LONG TIME.
THEY SAID, LOOK AT THAT.
THAT'S HOW HE BECAME PRESIDENT.
HE DIDN'T FOLLOW THE RULES THAT
OTHER PEOPLE HAD.
HE'S HIS OWN BEST COMMUNICATOR
AND NOW HE SAID A LOT OF THINGS
THAT YOU CAN DISAGREE WITH,
PROBABLY MOST NOTABLY THE ONE
HE'S GOTTEN THE MOST GUFF FOR IS
JONATHAN CARL OF ABC POINTED OUT
THAT HE HAS DAUGHTERS, AND ASKED
HIM IF HE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE
FACT THAT SOMEBODY WOULD HAVE AN
ASSAULT THAT THEY DIDN'T
INSTANTLY REPORT.
THERE WAS ANOTHER QUESTION TO
HIM ABOUT WHAT YOUNG MEN SHOULD
TAKE AWAY FROM THIS WHOLE BLASEY
FORD INCIDENT.
AND THE PRESIDENT SAID, IN THIS
COUNTRY, IF YOU'RE A GUY, YOU'RE
GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT.
I DON'T THINK THAT'S THE LESSON
THAT A SINGLE OTHER PERSON TOOK
AWAY FROM THIS.
BUT THE PRESIDENT SAID IT WAS ON
HIS MIND.
JACK,KY TELL YOU, HIS BASE LOVES
IT.
HIS VOTERS LOVE IT.
THE PROBLEM IS, IT MAKES IT SO
HARD TO REACH OUT TO ANY MORE
VOTERS.
HE BARELY WON, SO THAT GIVES HIM
A MATH PROBLEM.
NO MARGIN FOR ERROR.
>> MIKE, AS YOU SAID, WHETHER
YOU'RE A SUPPORTER OF THE
PRESIDENT OR NOT, THE TEMPLATE
HAS CHANGED.
THE RULES HAVE CHANGED, AND IT'S
A DIFFERENT POLITICAL WORLD
WE'RE LIVING IN.
MIKE, ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO TALK
WITH YOU BECAUSE YOU HELP US TO
UNDERSTAND THAT POLITICAL WORLD.
AS ALWAYS, WE APPRECIATE THE
TIME.
LOVE HAVING A CHANCE TO SHARE
THOUGHTS WITH YOU.
LOOK FORWARD TO TALKING WITH YOU
AGAIN.
MIKE, BE WELT.
>> JACK, THANKS FOR A GREAT
COVERAGE.
>> OUR THANKS TO MIKE ALAN AND
THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FOR
JOINING US ON THIS VERY HISTORIC
EVENING.
ON BEHALF OF ALL THE MEN AND
WOMEN BEHIND THE SCENES OF
"METROFOCUS," WE THANK YOU.
HAVE A GOOD NIGHT.


URL: https://www.thirteen.org/metrofocus/2018/09/the-kavanaugh-effect/