MetroFocus

AIRBNB DEBATE

Transcript

>>> AIRBNB IS GOING TO THE
MATTRESSES WITH SCOTT STRINGER.
NEW YORK CITY'S COMPTROLLER.
THE SUBLETTING GIANT IS FURIOUS
WITH STRINGER'S OFFICE WITH A
NEWLY RELEASED REPORT CLAIMING
THE COMPANY OPERATIONS DROVE UP
RENTS FOR MILLIONS OF NEW
YORKERS.
ACCORDING TO STRINGERS'S REPORT
RENTS ROSE ACROSS THE IS CITY BY
10% FROM 2009 TO 2016 WHICH HE
ATTRIBUTES TO AIRBNB OPERATIONS.
AIRBNB FIRED BACK FILING A
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION REQUEST
TO FIND OUT THE MOTIVE BEHIND
THE STUDY CLAIMING THAT THE
COMPTROLLER IS IN THE ARMS OF
THE HOTEL INDUSTRY.
ANY ALSO TOOK TO THE AIRWAVES
WITH THIS AD AIRING ACROSS ALL
FIVE BUROUGHS.
>> THIS IS COMPTROLLER SCOTT
STRINGER.
HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR TAX
DOLLARS.
AND HE JUST USED THEM TO PUT OUT
A FALSE REPORT MISLEADING NEW
YORKERS ABOUT HOME SHARING.
THE REPORT HAS BEEN CALLED
DEEPLY FLAWED AND PATHETIC.
THE COMPTROLLER USED AIRBNB AS A
SCAPEGOAT FOR HOUSING AFFORD
ABILITY CRISIS.
COMPTROLLER STRINGER INSTEAD OF
FALSELY ATTACKING NEW YORKERS
TRYING TO MAKE ENDS MEET WHY MOT
WORK WITH THE CHUNT TO HELP KEEP
PEOPLE IN HOMES.
>> YESTERDAY WE WELCOMED CHRIS
LA HAN TO THE PROGRAM THE HEAD
OF AIRBNB.
TONIGHT IT'S THE TURN OF SCOTT
STRINGER TO OFFER HIS REBUTTAL.
WELCOME BACK TO THE PROBLEM.
>> GOOD TO BE HERE.
>> YOUR REACTION TO THE
COMMERCIAL.
>> LISTEN, THIS AIRBNB CREW THEY
ARE FREAKING OUT BECAUSE WE DID
A REPORT THAT SHOWS WHAT
EVERYONE HAS BEEN THINKING FOR
SOME TIME, WHICH IS FIRST NEW
YORK CITY IS SEEING A HUGE
INCREASE IN RENT ACROSS THE
BOARD.
WE ESTIMATE IN THIS REPORT THAT
BETWEEN 2009 AND 2016 RENTS HAVE
SHOT UP 25%.
THAT'S WHY PEOPLE ARE HAVING
TROUBLE MAKING IT IN THE CITY.
THAT'S WHY PEOPLE ARE FORCED OUT
OF COMMUNITIES.
WE HAVE A HOUSING CRISIS.
BUT AS PART OF THAT REPORT WE
ALSO IDENTIFIED THAT ABOUT 9%
THAT HAVE 25% COULD BE
ATTRIBUTED TO AIRBNB RENTALS.
THAT WAS THE REPORT.
AND THE LOBBYISTS, THE BACK ROOM
DEALERS, THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE
TRUTH.
WHAT THEY'RE DOING IS PERSONALLY
COMING AFTER ME WHICH IS FINE
I'M THE COMPTROLLER I CAN TAKE
IT.
BUT THEY'RE ALSO COMING AFTER
NEW YORK CITY WITH THE
COMMERCIALS.
BECAUSE WHAT THEY'RE TRYING TO
DO IS CONFUSE WHAT'S REALLY AT
STAKE HERE.
THEY HAVE A BUSINESS MODEL THAT
DOES NOT PLAY BY THE RULES.
AND WE HAVE A CITY THAT NEEDS
AFFORDABLE HOUSING.
>> WELL, THERE IS CERTAINLY
GROWS THERE IS DEFINITELY A
HOUSING CRISIS IN THE CITY.
BUT WE DID SPEAK WITH CHRIS LA
HAN YESTERDAY.
HE WAS SAYING ONE OF THE
PROBLEMS THEY HAD WITH THE
REPORT WAS THAT THE NUMBERS THAT
WERE USED FROM I BELIEVE IT WAS
AIR DNA EITHER MISUNDERSTOOD OR
SOMEHOW MANIPULATED OR SOMETHING
IN THE REPORT THAT YOU WERE
USING.
SO I JUST WANT TO.
>> OF COURSE HE IS GOING TO SAY
THAT.
WHAT'S HE SUPPOSED TO SAY?
THIS IS A PRACTICE AND PATTERN
THAT AIRBNB DOES APPREHEND THE
COUNTRY.
THEY GO IN.
A STUDY HAPPENS.
THEY IMMEDIATELILY SAY THE STUDY
IS NOT ACCURATE, THE DATA WRONG
THIS IS WRONG.
WHEN THE ATTORNEY GENERAL DID A
STUDY SHOWING 72% OF THE RENTALS
MAY NOT BE PLAYING BY THE RULES
THAT'S WRONG.
THEY DO THIS ALL OVER THE
COUNTRY.
>> WHAT AIRBNB IS SAYING AS I
WANTED IN THE SBROE YOU ARE IN
THE ARMS OF THE HOTEL INDUSTRY.
IN FACT WE HAVE A CLIP FROM
CHRIS LA HAN FROM YESTERDAY.
>> WE HAVE ASKED THE COMPTROLLER
AND RESPECTFULLY COULD YOU
ANSWER YES OR NO DID YOU ENGAGE
AND HAVE CONVERSATIONS YOU OR
YOUR OFFICE WITH PEOPLE OR
ENTITIES REPRESENTING THE HOTEL
INDUSTRY?
IT'S A REALLY REALLY SIMPLE
QUESTION.
>> THERE IT IS SIMPLE QUESTION
YES OR NO.
>> HE IS REALLY MAD ABOUT THIS
REPORT.
OF COURSE I TALKED TO THE HOTEL
UNION.
OF COURSE WE TALKED TO HOTEL
TRADES COUNCIL.
THEY'RE THE PEOPLE REPRESENTING
WORKING FOLKS IN NEW YORK.
BUT BY THE WAY, I CAN TALK TO
WHOEVER I WANT WHEN I'M ALIGNED
ON THE ISSUE.
HERE IS WHERE I AGREE WITH THE
UNION.
AIRBNB IS DRIEPG UP RENTS.
AIRBNB IS BAD FOR BUSINESS.
AIRBNB HAS TO REFORM ITS ITSELF
AND GET OVER ITSELF IF THEY WANT
TO BE A PLAYER IN NEW YORK CITY.
WHAT CHRIS IS UPSET ABOUT IS WE
FINALLY BLEW THE LID OFF WHAT
WE'VE KNOWN A LOG IN TIME
PROCESS THEY DON'T RELEASE FAIR
DATA.
NOT MRIING BY THE RULES AND NOW
COMING IN HERE TRYING TO CONFUSE
EVERYBODY.
>> WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THE
FAMILIES OR PEOPLE WHO RELY ON
AIRBNB TO TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD
TO STAY IN THEIR HOMES.
>> THERE IS LAW THAT IS GIVE
THEM THE RIGHT TO RENT OUT THEIR
ROOM AND APARTMENT.
THAT'S THE LAW IN NEW YORK CITY.
AND SO I SUPPORT THOSE GOOD
CITIZENS OF NEW YORK, THE
OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF PEOPLE
WHO DO THAT.
BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS FIGHT
IS ABOUT.
THIS IS ABOUT THE MULTIPLE
LISTINGS, THE SPECULATIVE -- THE
OPERATORS NOT PLAYING BY THE
RULES.
AIRBNB IS AWARE OF THIS BECAUSE
IT'S NOT JUST PLAYING OUT IN NEW
YORK CITY.
IT'S THROUGHOUT THE WORLD.
IT'S PLAYING OUT ACROSS AMERICA.
AND WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE HOUSING
CRISIS AND YOU LOOK IN SOME OF
OUR COMMUNITIES PEOPLE BEING
PUSHED OUT -- FIRST OF ALL
SENIORS WHO HAVE SPENT A
LIFETIME BUILDING OUR CITY
THAT'S THE FIGHT HERE.
I APPRECIATE WHEN A CORPORATE
GIANT COMES AFTER ME AND TRIS TO
PUT THEIR MARKER DOWN.
I'M GLAD TO BE ON THE SHOW TO
SAY I'M NOT BACKING DOWN.
WE WILL DOUBLE DOWN AND PROTECT
THE PEOPLE OF OUR CITY BECAUSE
THAT'S MY JOB AND ELECTED TO DO
THAT.
>> WELL LISTEN COMP STROLLER
STRINGER FOR COMING ON THE
PROGRAM AND GIVING US YOUR SIDE
OF THE REBUTTAL AND SIDE OF THE
STORY.
WE'LL BE LOOKING FOR MORE
INFORMATION RELEASED SOMETIME
SOON I HOPE.
>> ME TOO.
>> THANK YOU.


URL: https://www.thirteen.org/metrofocus/2018/05/airbnb-debate/