MetroFocus

THE CASE TO LEGALIZE

Transcript

>> IF I WALK IN THIS ROOM, WALK
RIGHT DOWN TO THE CORNER AND
TAKE A BIG HIT OF WHAT I GOT, IT
GOES RIGHT AWAY.
>> WHEN I FIRST GOT DIAGNOSED,
THAT SENT ME TO THE DOCTOR, AND
I GOT VIE CODIN AND PERK SET AN
EVERYTHING.
I HAD TO TAKE FIVE OR SIX,
ENOUGH TO DROOL FOR TWO OR THREE
HOURS.
DOES IT STOP THE PAIN?
NO.
DOES MARIJUANA STOP THE PAIN?
NO.
DOES IT MAKE IT LIVABLE?
>> YES.
>> THE RECENT BLACK AND PUERTO
RICAN LEGISLATORS CONFERENCE
HERE IN NEW YORK.
MONTEL WILLIAMS SUFFERS FROM
MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS AND HE SPOKE
AT A SHWORKSHOP ON LEGALIZING
MARIJUANA.
RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA IS NOW
LEGAL IN NINE STATES AND D
WASHINGTON, D.C.
COULD NEW YORK BE THE NEXT?
CONGRESSWOMAN STOKES HAS
PROPOSED A BILL LEGALIZING
MARIJUANA, AND TAXING IT JUST
LIKE ALCOHOL BECAUSE THEY
BELIEVE IT'S BENEFITS GO BEYOND
JUST MEDICAL USE.
LET ME LOOK AT YOUR PROPOSAL
HERE, AND MAYBE WE CAN BREAK IT
DOWN INTO CONTEXTS, SOCIAL,
ECO
ECONOMIC.
THERE'S A SUGGESTION THAT THE
LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA WOULD
HAVE A SIGNIFICANT POSITIVE
IMPACT ON INCARCERATION RATES
AND CERTAINLY ON THE ARREST
RATES WITH REGARD TO MINORITY
COMMUNITIES.
WHY DO YOU FEEL THAT'S SO?
>> YES.
WELL, BECAUSE IF YOU LOOK AT THE
DATA, THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE
IN AMERICA AND NEW YORK STATE
WHO SMOKE MARIJUANA, BUT IT'S
ONLY BLACK AND BROWN PEOPLE THAT
ARE ARRESTED OR INCARCERATED FOR
MARIJUANA.
>> WHEN YOU SAY ONLY, I THINK
YOU'RE MAKING A GENERALIZATION
HERE, AND I UNDERSTAND IT.
>> WELL, IT'S GENERAL BECAUSE
THE NUMBERS ARE SO DISPARATE
THAT YOU HAVE TO SAY IT THAT
WAY.
>> WE HAVE MENTIONED
INCARCERATION RATES.
WE HAVE MENTIONED THAT NEW YORK
IS TAKING A HARD LOOK AT THAT
ISSUE, AND SEEING WHAT CAN BE
DONE TO REDUCE INCARCERATION
RATES AND STILL PROVIDE SAFETY
FOR THE PUBLIC OF COURSE.
SO WHAT DO YOU AND THE OTHER
SPONSORS OF THE BILL FEEL THE
IMPACT THAT LEGALIZATION COULD
HAVE ON INCARCERATION RATES?
>> MY SPONSOR WAS SENATOR LIZ
KRUEGER FROM MANHATTAN AND WE
BELIEVE THAT IF MARIJUANA IS
LEGALIZED FOR ADULT CRUSE, THER
WOULD BE NO REASON TO ARREST
PEOPLE AND INCARCERATING THEM
FOR POSSESSING MARIJUANA.
IT WOULD BE LEGAL FOR THEM TO
GROW IT AT HOME.
AND YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE OVER
THE AGE OF 21 AND CERTAINLY YOU
HAVE TO HAVE IDENTIFICATION TO
PROVE THAT.
YOU DON'T SEE INCREASES IN CAR
ACCIDENTS, YOU DON'T SEE
INCREASES IN CRIMES.
AS A MATTER OF FACT YOU SEE
DECREASES IN CRIME BECAUSE NOW
LAW ENFORCEMENT HAS MORE OF AN
OPPORTUNITY TO DO INVESTIGATORY
POLICING INSTEAD OF STOPPING AND
FRISKING.
>> LET'S TALK ABOUT THE MEDICAL
COMPONENT OF THIS.
AGAIN, WE MENTIONED THE IDEA OF
THE IMPACT IT COULD HAVE ON THE
OPIOD CRISIS, THAT WE CERTAINLY
HERE IN NEW YORK AND ACROSS THE
COUNTRY ARE STRUGGLING WITH.
WHAT IS THE IDEA THEN, THAT,
AGAIN, YOU AND THE SPONSORS AND
THE SUPPORTERS, YOUR BELIEF AS
TO HOW THIS COULD HAVE AN
IMAGINE ON THE OPIOD CRISIS?
>> THERE'S BEEN ARTICLES IN THE
JOURNAL OF MEDICINE THAT REALLY
STATES THAT PERHAPS 25% OF
PEOPLE WHO ARE OPEN IT ADDICTED
COULD RECOVER IF THEY HAVE
ACCESS TO MARIJUANA.
YOU KNOW NEW YORK STATE ALREADY
HAS MEDICINAL MARIJUANA, BUT
OPIOD TREATMENT IS NOT ONE OF
THE SERVICES THAT YOU CAN USE
MEDICINAL MARIJUANA FOR.
>> SO IF INDEED THIS WERE TO
BECOME LAW IN NEW YORK, WOULD
YOU SEEN THEN A COMPANION
APPROACH, IF YOU WOULD, IN TERMS
OF HELPING PEOPLE DEAL WITH
OPIOD ABUSES AND ADDICTIONS,
WHERE THEY WOULD BE GIVEN SOME
ADVICE AND SAY, LOOK, THIS COULD
BE A VEHICLE TO HELP YOU WITH
THAT?
>> ABSOLUTELY.
IN FACT THERE ARE A NUMBER OF
BILLS IN THE STATE LEGISLATURE
NOW THAT WOULD INCLUDE MARIJUANA
AS A MEDICINAL OPPORTUNITY FOR
TREATMENT OF OPIODS.
AND BY THE WAY, I SHOULD ALSO
MENTION THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE
SELF-MEDICATING ILLEGALLY, SO IF
WE'RE ABLE TO LEGALIZE AND
REGULATE AND TAX, THEN PEOPLE
WOULD BE ABLE TO GET ACCESS TO
IT WITHOUT EITHER THE HIGH COST
OF PRESCRIPTIONS THAT DON'T HAVE
CO-PAYS BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT
COVERED BY INSURANCE AND TWHAT
THEY NEED TO LIVE --
>> THIS WOULD NOT SIMPLY BE A
BILL THAT IF IT PASSES, WE'RE
GOING TO DECRIMINALIZE THIS.
BUT ALSO IT SETS UP A STRUCTURE
FOR THE NOTION OF REGULATION AND
TAXATION.
CAN YOU GIVE US A SENSE OF HOW
THAT WOULD WORK?
>> THE REGULATORY AUTHORITY
WOULD BE THE SAME AUTHORITY THAT
NOW REGULATES ALCOHOL.
AS YOU KNOW AS A FWNEW YORKER,
HAVE GREAT CONTINUOUS OVERSIGHT
FOR ANYONE LICENSED TO SELL
ALCOHOL.
IT WOULD BE SIMILAR TO THAT TO
THE MARIJUANA LEGISLATION.
THE RESOURCES OF IT ARE 25% OF
IT HAS TO GO TO EDUCATION, 25%
TO THE COMMUNITIES THAT WERE
DISENFRANCHISED AS A RESULT OF
THE MASS INCARCERATION AND A
CERTAIN PERCENTAGE OF IT HAS TO
GO TOWARDS OPPORTUNITIES FOR
BUSINESS.
>> LAST QUESTION FOR YOU,
OVERARCHING ALL OF THIS
OPERATIONS, IS THE OBJECTION
THAT YOU HEAR FROM A NUMBER OF
PEOPLE THAT'S BASED ON A SENSE
OF MORALITY.
PEOPLE SAYING, WAIT A MINUTE,
SHOULD THE STATE OF NEW YORK BE
IN BUSINESS, IF YOU WOULD,
REGULATING AND TAXING AND
ALLOWING THE USE OF A DRUG WHEN
YOU HAVE HAD A SIGNIFICANT
NUMBER OF EXPERTS AND PUBLIC
HEALTH PEOPLE SAYING IT IS A
DRUG THAT DOES HAVE DELETERIOUS
EFFECTS, ESPECIALLY ON YOUNG
PEOPLE.
>> FOR AS MANY AS THINK THAT,
THERE ARE MORE WHO DISAGREE.
AND IN FACT THEY ARE ALL RIGHT
LEGALIZED IT FOR THE ADULTS IN
THEIR STATE AND THEY DO NOT SEE
THE NEGATIVE IMPACTS THAT THEIR
OPPONENTS WOULD SUGGEST.
IF WE NO THAT PEOPLE ARE SMOKING
IT AND WE'RE NOT WILLING TO
ALLOW THEM AN OPPORTUNITY TO
PURCHASE IT LEGALLY IN OUR
STATE, THEN THEY'LL GO TO ROTHE
STATES.
I THINK WE SHOULD TAKE THE
OPPORTUNITY TO TAX, REGULATE AND
MAKE SURE THAT IT DOESN'T GET
INTO THE WRONG HANDS.
>> ASSEMBLY WOMAN CRYSTAL STOCK
EXCHANGE.
-- CRYSTAL STOKES.
WE'LL LOOK FORWARD TO TALKING TO
YOU DOWN THE ROAD AS THIS MOVES
FORWARD.
>> WE'RE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE
MOVING FORWARD, SO I'M LOOKING
FORWARD TO TALKING TO YOU AGAIN.
>> ALL RIGHT, YOU BE WELL.


URL: https://www.thirteen.org/metrofocus/2018/03/the-case-to-legalize/