ELECTION 2020: A METROFOCUS SPECIAL

January 11, 2020 at 5:30 am

Who are the leading contenders with New York ties vying for your vote? Tonight we’ll examine the issues, the questions and the controversies surrounding their campaigns.

Aired on January 10, 2020. 

Transcript Print

>>> TONIGHT, ELECTION 2020.
A "METROFOCUS" SPECIAL.
THE RACE POUR THE WHITE HOUSE
SHIFTS INTO HIGH GEAR AS DO THE
LOCAL CONTENDERS VYING FOR YOUR
VOTE.
WE'RE TACKLING THE ISSUES, THE
QUESTIONS AND THE CONTROVERSY'S.
CAN NEW YORK CITY'S BILLIONAIRE
FORMER MAY SPIN TO THE TOP OR
COULD VOTERS GIVE THE PRESIDENT
ANOTHER SHOT?
FROM THE WHITE HOUSE TO YOUR
HOUSE, ELECTION 2020, A
"METROFOCUS" SPECIAL STARTS
RIGHT NOW.

>> THIS IS "METROFOCUS" WITH
RAFAEL PI ROMAN, JACK FORD, AND
JENNA FLANAGAN.
>> "METROFOCUS" IS MADE POSSIBLE
BY JAMES AND MERRYL TISCH,
SUE AND EDGAR WACHENHEIM III,
THE SYLVIA A. AND SIMON B. POYTA
PROGRAMING ENDOWMENT TO FIGHT
ANTI-SEMITISM, BERNARD AND IRENE
SCHWARTZ AND BY --
>>> GOOD EVENING AND WELCOME TO
ELECTION 2020, A "METROFOCUS"
SPECIAL.
I'M JENNA FLANAGAN.
WHEN IT COMES TO THIS YEAR'S
PRESIDENTIAL RACE, THERE ARE
PLENTY OF CANDIDATES WITH LOCAL
TIES FIGHTING FOR YOUR VOTE.
THAT LIST IS HEAD LINED BY NEW
YORK BILLIONAIRES LIKE FORMER
MAYOR MICHAEL BROOM BERG AND, OF
COURSE, PRESIDENT TRUMP.
POWERHOUSE PROGRESSIVES SUCH AS
BERNIE SANDERS AND ELIZABETH
WARREN ALSO HAVE ROOTS HERE.
LET'S NOT FORGET ABOUT NEW
JERSEY SENATOR CORY BOOKER.
TONIGHT WE'RE SPOTLIGHTING THESE
CANDIDATES AS PART OF OUR ON
GOING SPECIAL COVERAGE OF
ELECTION 2020.
HERE WITH A CLOSER LOOK AT THE
ISSUES AND THE QUESTIONS AND THE
CONTROVERSIES, DR. CHRISTINA
GREER ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR FROM
FORDHAM UNIVERSITY AND THE
CO-HEFT OF THE FAQ NYC PODCAST.
J.C. POLANCO, POLITICAL
COMMENTATOR, ATTORNEY, COLLEGE
PROFESSOR AND FORMER PRESIDENT
OF THE NYC BOARD OF ELECTIONS.
AND LAUREN NO, MA'AM YAS FROM
THE "NEW YORK DAILY NEWS".
WELCOME TO EVERYONE.
>> WE'VE GOT A LOT OF PEOPLE
FROM THIS CITY OR WITH TIES TO
THE CITY WHO ARE LOOKING AT THE
HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE NATION.
SO FIRST I WANT TO START OFF
WITH THE BILLIONAIRES, AS I
MENTIONED IN THE INTRO.
SO, OF COURSE, WE KNOW PRESIDENT
TRUMP RIGHT AFTER HIS ELECTION
DECIDED HE WAS GOING TO BE
RUNNING FOR OFFICE AGAIN.
BUT LET'S LOOK AT THE MAYOR THAT
WE CAME TO KNOW AND THAT, OF
COURSE, IS MIKE BLOOMBERG.
I WANT TO GET FROM EACH ONE OF
YOU, YOUR TAKE ON HOW IT IS THAT
HE CAME TO THIS DECISION TO
ENTER THE RACE SO LATE AND SEEMS
TO BE JUST STANDING ON
COMMERCIAL POWER SINCE THERE'S
BEEN NO DEBATES WITH HIM, HE
SEEMS TO BE SKIPPING SOME OF THE
EARLY PRIMARY STATES, FOCUSING
ON SUPER TUESDAY.
FOR LACK OF A BETTER
DESCRIPTION, WHAT'S UP WITH
THAT?
>> I ALWAYS SAY DONALD TRUMP IS
A BILLIONAIRE WITH AN ARDOR
RISK.
SINCE WE HAVEN'T SEEN HIS TAXES,
I'M NOT SURE.
MICHAEL BLOOMBERG WAS MAYOR OF
NEW YORK CITY FOR 12 YEARS.
WE CAN'T UNDERESTIMATE THAT HE
DOESN'T UNDERSTAND GOVERNANCE
THAN DONALD TRUMP OF TOM STEYER.
I SEE A PATH FOR BLOOMBERG.
I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S A WINNING
PATH, BUT FOR SOMEONE TO INVEST
THIS MUCH MONEY THIS LATE IN THE
GAME, HE WAS LOOKING AT THE
FIELD AND ESSENTIALLY LOOKING AT
EACH CANDIDATE AND SAYING
THEY'RE NOT CONNECTING WITH
VOTERS THE WAY I THINK I CAN
BECAUSE HE'S HAD HIS MAYOR
COMMITTEE AND HE WAS HEAD OF THE
MAYOR'S CONGLOMERATION I THINK
IT WAS CALLED, HE UNDERSTANDS
CITIES IN A PARTICULAR WAY
ACROSS THE COUNTRY.
ANYONE WITH $52 BILLION TO SPEND
IS DEFINITELY A THREAT BECAUSE
HE'S ABLE TO ADVERTISE HIMSELF
ON AIR IN WAYS OTHER CANDIDATES
CAN'T.
THEY'RE TOO BUSY FUND-RAISING
AND GOING TO THE EARLY PRIMARY
STATES WHICH HE ALREADY SAID
HE'S SKIPPING AND HOPEFULLY
MAKING INROADS THERE.
>> THE FACT IS THAT THE
DEMOCRATIC PARTY HAS THESE
INCREDIBLY RIDICULOUS RULES FOR
CANDIDATES TO BE ABLE TO DEBATE.
WE'VE SEEN MANY INCREDIBLE
CANDIDATES DROP OUT BECAUSE THEY
DON'T MEET THE THRESHOLD.
WHETHER IT'S A NUMBER OF
NEWSPAPERS THAT HAVE TO SHOW
POLLING DATA THAT SHOW THEY'RE
VIABLE OR X AMOUNT OF DONORS OR
MONEY, BUT MICHAEL BLOOMBERG
COMES INTO THE SCENE AND SAYS I
CAN'T PARTICIPATE BECAUSE YOUR
RULES LEAVE A GUY LIKE ME OUT.
THERE'S NO WAY I'M GOING TO HAVE
THAT MANY VOTERS COME IN AND
WRITE ME A CHECK, NO WAY I'LL BE
ABLE TO POLL AT THAT LEVEL.
SO I'M GOING TO TAKE MY CAMPAIGN
AND TAKE IT TO THE TV AND RADIO
STATIONS ACROSS THE COUNTRY.
I MUST PUSH BACK A LITTLE BIT
JENNA WITH THE FACT THAT HE'S
JUST STANDING ON COMMERCIAL
POWER.
THIS GUY HAS A RECORD.
AS PROFESSOR GREER MENTIONED, 12
YEARS OF BEING THE MAYOR OF THE
MOST IMPORTANT CITY IN THE
WORLD.
THAT'S SOMETHING HE CAN GO
AROUND SAYING, HEY, I DID THAT.
THERE'S OVER TEN MILLION PEOPLE
IN A CITY I RAN, AND I RAN THE
FIRE DEPARTMENT, I RAN THE
SCHOOLS, AND HE HAS A MESSAGE
AND HAS A MESSAGE THAT RESONATES
WITH A LOT OF DEMOCRATIC VOTERS.
LET'S NOT FORGET HOW HE HAS BEEN
PIVOTAL IN THE FIGHT AGAINST GUN
VIOLENCE IN EVERY TOWN USA,
VOCAL ON POVERTY ISSUES.
HE'S BEEN PHILANTHROPIC, HAS A
STRONG RECORD IN THE CITY,
STRONG RECORD OF EXPERIENCE AND
IS A RAGS TO RICHES AS OPPOSED
TO THE PRESIDENT WHO QUITE
FRANKLY INHERITED A LOT OF THAT
MONEY.
HE CAN TALK ABOUT THINGS THAT I
DON'T THINK OTHER CANDIDATES
WILL BE ABLE TO TALK ABOUT.
>> LAURA?
>> I THINK HIS CANDIDACY IS SO
INTERESTING AND I AGREE WITH DR.
GREER THAT HE HAS THIS POTENTIAL
PATH TO THE NOMINATION THAT
CONFORMS WITH THE NEWER REALITY
OF OUR CAMPAIGNS THESE DAYS, HIS
ABILITY TO COMPLETELY BY PASS
THE TRADITIONAL MACHINERY BY
WHICH SOMEBODY BECOMES
PRESIDENT, BYPASSING THE EARLY
STATES, BY PASSING FAVORITE
COVERAGE, BYPASSING THE NEED TO
GET HIS MESSAGE OUT AND
SATURATING TV WITH FAVORABLE ADS
HAS BUMPED HIS NUMBERS UP SO
THAT HE'S RUNNING IN 50s FIFGS
IN SOME POLLS, THIRD IN SOME
STATES.
HE'S DOING PARTICULARLY WELL
AMONG VOTERS WHO DON'T KNOW THAT
MUCH ABOUT THE PRESIDENTIAL RACE
YET, TOO, WHICH IS ALSO VERY
INTERESTING.
WE'RE DEALING WITH AN
ENVIRONMENT WHERE PEOPLE ARE
GETTING THEIR NEWS FROM
FACEBOOK.
THEY ARE GETTING THEIR NEWS
FROM TV.
THEY ARE NOT FULLY ABSORBING ALL
THE POLICY POSITIONS OF THE
DEMOCRATS, MANY OF WHOM,
FRANKLY, ARE NOT THAT FAR APART
ON ANY OF THE ISSUES.
AND HE IS JUST ABLE TO PLAY ON A
MUCH BIGGER FIELD THAN EVERYONE
ELSE IS WHO HAS LIMITED THE
KINDS OF DONATIONS THEY'RE GOING
TO TAKE, THEY'VE LIMITED THE
SIZE OF THE DONATIONS THEY CAN
TAKE AND, THEREFORE, HAVE
CONSTRAINED THEIR ABILITY TO BUY
THE KIND OF ADVERTISING HE HAS.
>> HE ALSO HAS RELATIONSHIPS
WITH MAYORS ACROSS THE COUNTRY
WHO ARE STARTING TO SEE SOME OF
HIS MESSAGE.
I THINK HE'S NOT A BILLIONAIRE
BECAUSE HE MADE WIDGETS.
HE'S A BILLIONAIRE BECAUSE HE
UNDERSTANDS THE MEDIA.
HE'S A MEDIA BILLIONAIRE FOR A
REASON.
HE UNDERSTANDS HOW INFORMATION
FLOWS OUT.
IF WE REMEMBER 2001, SO MANY NEW
YORKERS WHO HAD NO IDEA WHO HE
WAS AND HE SWITCHED PARTIES
BECAUSE HE DIDN'T FEEL LIKE
DEALING WITH THE DEMOCRATIC
PRIMARY.
IF YOU WENT TO THE LOBBY OF YOUR
APARTMENT BUILDING, IT WAS
THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF
BLOOMBERG ADS ON THE FLOOR.
EACH APARTMENT BUILDING.
HE WOULD FLOOD YOUR MAILBOX SO
MANY DAYS.
PEOPLE IN THE POSTING SERVICE
WOULD JUST PUT THEM DOWN AND LET
THEM OUT.
IT WAS A PHYSICAL AD.
THEN HE WAS ON THE TELEVISION
EVERY DAY ALL DAY.
WHEN I TALKED TO MY STUDENTS WHO
WENT HOME FOR THANKSGIVING
ACROSS THE NATION, ALL OF THEM
CAME BACK AND SAID EVERY DAY ON
THE TELEVISION THERE WERE
BLOOMBERG ADS FROM OHIO TO
CALIFORNIA.
SO HE HAS THE MONEY TO JUST, IF
YOU DON'T KNOW HIM, YOU WILL
KNOW HIM.
AS J.C. SAID, YOU'LL ALSO KNOW
WHAT HE WANTS YOU TO KNOW.
THERE'S SO MANY PEOPLE WHO DON'T
REALLY KNOW ABOUT HIM AS MAYOR,
SO THEY DON'T KNOW ALL ABOUT THE
POSITIVE ISSUES ABOUT GUN SAFETY
AND CLIMATE CONTROL AND CLIMATE
CHANGE AWARENESS AND PROTECTING
OUR WATERSHED, BUT ALSO DON'T
NECESSARILY KNOW ABOUT THE STOP
AND FRISK AND A LOT OF PEOPLE OF
COLOR FEEL THEY LIVED UNDER
DURING THE BLOOMBERG ERA.
HE CAN CREATE A BRAND NEW
NARRATIVE STARTING NOW AND HE'S
ABLE TO HIRE SOME OF THE BEST
PEOPLE ACROSS ALL FIELDS TO GET
HIS MESSAGE OUT.
SO MANY PEOPLE WRITING HIM OFF.
I'M LIKE, YOU WERE MAYOR OF THE
LARGEST CITY IN THE COUNTRY, IF
NOT THE WORLD, AND HE
UNDERSTANDS MEDIA AND POLITICS
IN A WAY THAT I THINK STEYER AND
TRUMP DON'T.
>> THIS IS 270 ELECTORAL VOTES.
THE QUESTION IS CAN WE WIN IN
THIS DEMOCRATIC PARTY TODAY.
I DON'T KNOW.
IT'S TOUGH, CONSIDERING THE BASE
OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY LIKE THE
BASE OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY
SEEMS TO BE THE FURTHEST OUT
THERE.
THE FT. WORTHEST TO THE LEFT
LIKE THE FURTHEST TO THE RIGHT
IS THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.
I DON'T THINK HOW HE CAN GO
THROUGH THE NOMINATION.
I HOPE HE GETS MORE COMPETITIVE
JUST FOR SELFISH REASONS BEING A
CENTRIST.
I THINK IF THE DEMOCRATS
CONTINUE TO PLAY THE GAME THEY
HAVE BEEN PLAYING, THIS IDEA
THAT, IF YOU'RE NOT COMPLETELY
PURE I DON'T WANT YOU, IF YOU'RE
NOT COMPLETELY PERFECT, IF YOU
HAVE SOMETHING LIKE STOP AND
FRISK THAT DR. GREER MENTIONED
IN YOUR BACKGROUND, I'M GOING TO
CANCEL YOU OUT AND NOT EVEN
CONSIDER YOU, YOU MAY END UP IN
A POSITION WHERE YOU HAVE A
CANDIDATE THAT CAN WIN 5 MILLION
MORE POPULAR VOTES ON ELECTION
DAY BUT WILL NOT COME CLOSE TO
WINNING WISCONSIN, MICHIGAN OR
PENNSYLVANIA AND GUARANTEE
PRESIDENT TRUMP A RE-ELECTION.
I THINK A GUY LIKE MICHAEL
BLOOMBERG CAN IF HE GETS LIEU
THE NOMINATION BECAUSE NOT ONLY
DOES HE HAVE THE MONEY TO FLOOD
THOSE THREE STATES LIKE YOU JUST
MENTIONED.
BUT I THINK HIS MESSAGE WILL
BRING THE 47, 50,000 PEOPLE YOU
NEED TO BRING IN THOSE STATES TO
GET HIM TO 270.
>> WE MENTIONED STOP AND FRISK A
COUPLE TIMES.
I DO WANT TO THROW TO A CLIP OF
MAYOR BLOOMBERG SORT OF GIVING
AN APOLOGY FOR THE POLICY HE
ENACTED AND HOW IT AFFECTED SO
MANY NEW YORKERS.
>> I NOW SEE THAT WE COULD AND
SHOULD HAVE ACTED SOONER AND
ACTED FASTER TO CUT THE STOPS.
I WISH WE HAD, AND I'M SORRY
THAT WE DIDN'T.
BUT I CAN'T CHANGE HISTORY.
HOWEVER, TODAY, I WANT YOU TO
KNOW THAT I REALIZE BACK THEN I
WAS WRONG.
AND I'M SORRY.
BUT I ALSO WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT
I AM MORE COMMITTED THAN EVER TO
ENDING GUN VIOLENCE.
>> SO THIS IS KIND OF WHAT I WAS
GETTING AT WITH MY QUESTION
ABOUT THE FACT THAT HE SEEMS TO
BE USING A LOT OF HIS MONEY TO
BUY COMMERCIALS SO PEOPLE CAN
GET TO KNOW HIM AND HE CAN CRAFT
THE NARRATIVE.
IT FEELS LIKE A VERY HANDS-OFF
CAMPAIGN WHEREAS A LOT OF OTHER
PEOPLE WHEN THEY'RE CAMPAIGNING,
IT'S ALMOST LIKE THIS COMMUNAL,
YOU WANT TO HAVE A BEER WITH ME,
I WANT TO HUG YOU, LET ME CRADLE
YOUR BABY, HE'S NOT DOING THAT.
>> THAT'S NOT WHO HE IS.
IN 2001 HE DID NOT HAVE A
PRIMARY.
BLOOMBERG IS NOT A PRIMARY TYPE
PERSON.
HE'S IN THE GENERAL.
IN A GENERAL HE'S A DIFFERENT
CANDIDATE.
I DON'T KNOW IF HE'LL MAKE IT
OUT OF THE PRIMARY.
BLOOMBERG IS HERE TO SAY I'M NOT
HERE TO BE YOUR FRIEND.
I'M HERE TO BE THE LEADER.
WE HAVE MAJOR ISSUES ON THE
TABLE AND I'M THE ONE WHO CAN
SOLVE THEM.
UNFORTUNATELY FOR A LOT OF
PEOPLE IN, LET'S SAY NEW YORK
SPECIFICALLY, HIS APOLOGY FOR
STOP AND FRISK IS TOO LITTLE TOO
LATE BECAUSE IT COMES YEARS AND
MONTHS AFTER HE LEFT OFFICE.
WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT VOTERS OF
COLOR IN THE SOUTH, VOTERS OF
COLOR WITH NOTHING TO DO WITH
NEW YORK, IT DOESN'T RESONATE IN
THE SAME WAY.
THE CITY IS IN GREAT FINANCIAL
HEALTH UNDER BLOOMBERG AND OTHER
ISSUES LIKE GUN CONTROL WHERE HE
SEEMS TO BE A LEADER, THE STOP
AND FRISK CONVERSATION IS THERE
AND NOT AS RESONANT AND PALPABLE
AS IT IS FOR MANY BLACK AND
LATIN X NEW YORKERS.
IT'S A ROAD BUMP FOR HIM BUT NOT
AN ACHILLES' HEEL THE WAY PEOPLE
THOUGHT IT WOULD BE.
>> I THINK TO THE EXTENT THE
CANDIDATES PROJECTING AN AIR OF
CHRISTMAS AND FRIENDLINESS AND
SOMEONE YOU WANT TO HAVE A BEER
WITH, THE END GOAL IS TO
CONVINCE PEOPLE THAT THE
MAJORITY OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.
IT SEEMS LIKE ONE OF THE THINGS
THAT MATTERS MOST TO THE
DEMOCRATIC VOTERS WHO WILL BE
CASTING THEIR BALLOTS IN THE
PRIMARY STATES IS WHO CAN BEAT
DONALD TRUMP.
PART OF THE REASON THAT SO MANY
PEOPLE ARE SO DIVIDED ON THIS
RIGHT NOW IS THAT THEY'RE
WAITING TO SEE WHO ACTUALLY IS
THE MOST ELECTABLE BY WAITING
FOR THE EARLY STATE PRIMARY
RESULTS AND TO SEE WHO EVERYBODY
ELSE WANTS AND WHO ENDS UP
TIPPING THE NOMINATION.
SO TO THAT EXTENT, ELECTABILITY
IS JUST ABOUT WHOEVER CAN CREATE
THE AIR OF INEVITABILITY,
WHETHER YOU DO THAT THROUGH
CHARISMA AND PERSONALITY OR DO
IT BY FLOODING THE ZONE WITH
MONEY AND JUST A SHOW OF FORCE
IS DIFFERENT MEANS TO THE SAME
END.
>> THE STOP AND FRISK ISSUE IS
VERY BIG.
PEOPLE CAN DIFFER AS TO DID IT
WORK.
THOSE DEBATES ARE EXCITING TO
HAVE.
I PARTICIPATED A GREAT DEAL IN
THOSE DEBATES.
THE ISSUE I'M HAVING IS HOW FAR
ARE OTHER CANDIDATES IN THE
DEMOCRATIC PARTY GOING TO TAKE
THE ANTI STOP AND FRISK QUESTION
AGAINST MICHAEL BLOOMBERG.
IF THEY GO IN AND MAKE IT THE
ISSUE WHERE THEY'LL TRY TO
DEFEAT HIM AND MAKE IT SO HE NO
LONGER SPENDS ANYMORE MONEY, YOU
MAY BRUISE HIM SO MUCH THAT YOU
KEEP A LOT OF AFRICAN-AMERICAN
AND LATINO VOTERS FROM COMING
OUT.
A LOT OF MINORITY VOTERS WEREN'T
EXCITED BY HILLARY.
THEY STAYED HOME AND THEN DONALD
TRUMP WON THIS ELECTION BY WHAT
AMOUNTS TO YANKEE STADIUM FILLED
TO CAPACITY.
I'M REALLY CONCERNED AS TO HOW
FAR ARE BERNIE SANDERS' SUPPERS
GOING TO TAKE THIS ISSUE,
ELIZABETH WARREN'S VOTERS GOING
TO DRIVE THE IDEA THAT MICHAEL
BLOOMBERG IS A RACIST BECAUSE HE
PARTICIPATED IN STOP, QUESTION
AND FRISK OOPSZ.
I THINK IT MAY MAIM HIM DOA BY
THE TIME THIS IS OVER.
>> THIS BRINGS ME TO THE SECOND
GROUP OF CANDIDATES, THE
PROGRESSIVES WE'RE SEEING
RUNNING FOR THE NOMINATION.
OF COURSE, ELIZABETH WARREN WHO
SPENT SOME TIME IN COLLEGE HERE,
BERNIE SANDERS, HE'S BROOKLYN.
BUT I'M WONDERING, AS YOU WERE
INSISTENCE THAT THE PARTY HAS TO
PULL IN THIS ONE DIRECTION AND
THIS IS WHERE THE PARTY'S FACE
REALLY IS, IS THAT SOMETHING
THAT ANY OF YOU SEE PLAYING WELL
ON THE NATIONAL STAGE.
AGAIN, THE PEOPLE WHO END UP
DECIDING THIS ELECTION, DON'T
SEEM TO FIT INTO THOSE BASKETS,
BUT THEY ARE SO ENGAGED AND SO
ENERGIZED.
>> I THINK RIGHT NOW THE
DEMOCRATIC PARTY IS IN THE MIDST
OF A REAL MOMENT IN THE SENSE
THAT THEY DON'T KNOW IF THEY
WANT TO GO THE PROGRESSIVE
DIRECTION AND JUST WE WILL BE
THE PARTY OF THE PROGRESSIVES.
IF YOU SAY YOU'RE A BIG D
DEMO
DEMOCRAT, IT MEANS X.
OR IF YOU WANT TO BE CENTRIST
LEVEL DEMOCRATIC PARTY WHERE YOU
CAN GET MODERATES AND WEAK
LEANING REPUBLICANS, WE HAVE TO
REMEMBER THERE ARE SO MANY BLACK
AND LATIN X VOTERS WHO ARE NOT
PROGRESSIVES.
WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE POLLING
DATA THEY'RE MORE CONSERVATIVE
THAN THEY'RE PRO TRADE TO BE.
JUST BECAUSE THE PHENOTYPE MAY
MAKE PEOPLE THINK IT'S ABOUT
HYPER AGGRESSIVE POLITICS,
THAT'S NOT WHAT THE DATA HAS
SHOWN US OVER THE PAST DECADES.
THE PEOPLE WHO PARTICIPATE IN
PRIMARIES AREN'T NECESSARILY
REPRESENTATIVE OF THE ENTIRE
DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND THE
DIVERSITY THERE WITHIN.
SO BLOOMBERG IN THE GENERAL DOES
VERY WELL.
A BLOOMBERG TRYING TO GET OUT OF
THE PRIMARY WITH SUCH ABYSMAL
TURNOUT AMONGST ALL VOTERS OF
ALL COLORS AND ALL CLASSES, I
THINK THAT'S A BIGGER
CONVERSATION.
>> LAURA.
>> FOR BERNIE AND ELIZABETH
WARREN SO MUCH OF THEIR APPEAL
SEEMS TO BE IN A DESIRE OF A LOT
OF VOTERS TO ADDRESS THESE
SYSTEMS THAT WE'VE IDENTIFIED
WITH BIG D DEMOCRATIC POLICY FOR
YEARS THAT WE JUST KNOW HAVEN'T
WORKED.
HEALTH CARE IS OUTRAGEOUSLY
EXPENSIVE.
DRUGS ARE OUTRAGEOUSLY
EXPENSIVE.
YOU CAN ASK ANYBODY, THEY DON'T
WANT TO CHANGE THEIR INSURANCE
POLICY, BUT ARE THEY HAPPY WITH
IT?
IS IT PERFECT?
ABSOLUTELY NOT.
SO THEIR ABILITY TO PROJECT --
SAYING THAT YES NEED RADICAL
CHANGE IN HEALTH CARE, IS THAT
REALLY SUCH A RADICAL IDEA?
IS IT ULTRA PROGRESSIVE TO SAY
THAT THESE SYSTEMS THAT DON'T
WORK ARE BROKEN AND NEED TO BE
CHANGED?
I THINK THAT ALL OF THE
CANDIDATES ARE ACTUALLY SAYING
THAT, THEY'RE JUST SAYING IT AND
PACKAGING IT IN DIFFERENT WAYS
TO APPEAL TO DIFFERENT PARTS OF
THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY.
IT'S WHETHER OR NOT YOU WRAP UP
FUNDAMENTAL CHANGES TO THE
NATIONAL HEALTH CARE APPARATUS
AS INCREMENTAL CHANGE OR WHETHER
YOU SAY WE'RE EVENTUALLY GOING
TO SHIFT AND ENTIRELY ABOLISH
THE MODEL THAT WE'RE USING.
THAT'S WHERE THE CANDIDATES ARE
FALLING ON THE SPECTRUM.
I THINK THAT IS SOMETHING THAT
APPEALS TO EVERYBODY AND
PARTICULARLY FOR BERNIE, ONE OF
THE THINGS THAT SEEMS TO APPEAL
TO HIS VOTERS IS HIS
AUTHENTICITY.
THIS IS SOMETHING THAT ALSO
SEEMS TO APPEAL TO TRUMP'S
VOTERS.
HE IS NOT A HYPOCRITE IN A LOT
OF WAYS.
HE IS CONSISTENT.
HE'S IDEOLOGICALLY THE SAME
PERSON HE'S ALWAYS BEEN.
THAT'S SOMETHING A LOT OF PEOPLE
ARE THIRSTY FOR IN POLITICS
TODAY.
THEY DON'T WANT TO SEE SOMEBODY
WHO IS A FAIR WEATHER DEMOCRAT
WHO SHIFTS WITH THE WINDS AND IS
TRENDY.
THEY WANT SOMEONE WHO IS BEING
THEMSELVES.
>> INTERESTING INTERESTING YOU'D
SAY THAT.
WE HAVE A CLIP OF SENATOR
SANDERS ALLUDING TO HIS
AUTHENTICITY OVER THE YEARS.
>> YEAH.
I'M 78, PLEAD GUILTY.
BUT THE ADVANTAGE -- THERE IS AN
ADVANTAGE, AND THAT IS UNLIKE
ALL THESE KIDS I'M RUNNING
AGA
AGAINST, YOU CAN CHECK MY RECORD
GOING BACK A LONG WAY.
[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ].
A LONG WAY!
>> SO IS IT MORE ABOUT WHERE YOU
HAVE STOOD THE WHOLE TIME, OR
WILL VOTERS BE LOOKING MORE
TOWARDS WHAT HAVE YOU ACTUALLY
DONE?
>> I THINK IT'S THE LATTER.
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE AND WHAT WILL
YOU DO?
THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE INTERESTED
IN.
YOU MENTIONED A LITTLE EARLIER
ABOUT HOW ARE PARTY POLITICS
CHANGING THE DISCOURSE AROUND
THE COUNTRY?
I THINK IT'S CHANGING IT BIG
TIME.
THE DEMOCRATS RIGHT NOW ARE
SILENTLY A PROGRESSIVE PARTY.
I KNOW THEY'RE FIGHTING AS TO
WHETHER THEY'LL BE CENTRIST.
A LOT OF US MODERATE REPUBLICANS
ARE SAYING PLEASE BE CENTRIST.
WE'LL VOTE FOR YOUR CANDIDATE.
WHAT WE SEE WITH WARREN AND
BERNIE SANDERS IS THIS
INCREDIBLY RADICAL AGENDA THAT
IS SO FAR BEYOND ANYTHING WE CAN
RECOGNIZE.
YOU SAY THESE DIFFERENCES ARE IN
SMALL PACKAGES.
YOU NEED MEMBERS, YOU'RE GOING
TO TAKE THEIR INSURANCE AWAY AND
SUPPLEMENT IT WITH SOMETHING
ELSE OR REPLACE IT BE SOMETHING
ELSE AFTER THEY'VE BEEN
PICKETING AND VIETING TO GET THE
INSURANCE THEY HAVE, YOU'LL
NEVER GET THE UNION VOTE.
IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.
WHEN YOU TELL PEOPLE WHO HAVE
INSURANCE THROUGH THEIR JOBS,
THEY'RE GOING TO GET IT THROUGH
A MEDICAID-TYPE SYSTEM, YOU'LL
LOSE THEIR SUPPORT IMMEDIATELY.
THE REPUBLICAN SIDE HAS GONE SO
FAR TO THE RIGHT THAT YOU'RE
LOOKING AT MAYBE 4% OF THE
PARTY, 5% IDENTIFY AS MODERATE,
EVEN LIBERAL ANYMORE.
IT'S CHANGED THE NATIONAL
DISCOURSE INCREDIBLY.
I KNOW YOU HAVE SOMETHING ELSE.
WITH DR. GREER'S POINT EARLIER.
>> POLITICAL SCIENCE STIFT
CHARLES HAMILTON SAID THIS
ESPECIALLY WITH REGARD TO
AFRICAN-AMERICAN VOTERS BUT CAN
APPLY TO DEMOCRATIC VOTERS, THE
PROTECTIONIST PHASE AND THE
ADVANCEMENT PHASE.
HEALTH CARE IS OUT OF CONTROL.
WE KNOW BANKRUPTCIES ARE THE
REASON WHY -- HEALTH CARE IS THE
REASON WHY MOST PEOPLE GO
BANKRUPT.
IT'S JUST DO WE BLOW UP THE
SHIP, REBUILD IT AND SET IT
ASSAIL OR SOMETHING MORE LIKE
BIDEN AND BUTTIGIEG WHICH IS THE
SHIP IS IN THE WRONG DIRECTION.
LET'S REWRITE THE SHIP.
WHEREAS WARREN AND BRS ARE
SAYING NO, NO, NO, THE ENTIRE
SHIP IS CORRUPT.
>> YOU ASK A LOT OF BLACK
VOTERS, ESPECIALLY OUT OF
NORTHEASTERN CITIES DO THEY WANT
TO COMPLETELY BLOW UP THE SYSTEM
AND START ANEW?
NO, NO, NO, THAT'S TOO MUCH.
WE'LL STAY IN PROTECTIONIST
PHASE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT WE
KNOW.
WE'LL GO WITH SOMEONE WHO MAY
NOT ADVANCE US THE WAY WE WANT
TO BE IDEALLY, BUT THAT'S TOO
RISKY A CHOICE.
SO WHILE ELIZABETH WARREN AND
BERNIE SANDERS MAY SAY SOMETHING
ABOUT HEALTH CARE THAT A LOT OF
VOTERS MAY NOT AGREE WITH, BUT
THAT'S ADVANCEMENT PHASE AND
THAT'S SOMETHING THAT'S A GAMBLE
ESPECIALLY, AS LAUREN AND I HAVE
TALKED ABOUT ON OTHER SHOWS
WHERE SO MANY DEMOCRATIC VOTERS,
MALE DEMOCRATIC VOTERS HAVE BEEN
EXPLICIT ABOUT NOT VOTING FOR
ELIZABETH WARREN.
THEY'VE SAID IT, THEY BELIEVE
IT.
SO THAT CHANGES THE CALCULUS OF
OTHER VOTERS WHO WANT TO MAKE
SURE THEY CHOOSE A CANDIDATE
THAT HAS THIS' LEBLTABILITY.
>>> BEFORE WE RUN OUT OF TIME, I
FEEL TERRIBLE.
BUT WE CAN'T FORGET ABOUT CORY
BOOKER.
I FEEL LIKE THAT'S A LARGER
POINT IN GENERAL.
HOW DO WE SEE A CANDIDATE LIKE
HIMSELF FITTING INTO THIS?
HE'S FOUGHT SO HARD TO MAKE IT
ONTO SOME OF THE DEBATE STAGES.
HE MISSED THE LAST ONE.
WHERE DO YOU SEE CORY GOING?
>> HE'S IN THIS DIFFICULT
POSITION BECAUSE HE IS ACTUALLY
A MORE MODERATE AND MORE
CENTRIST IN A LOT OF HIS
POSITIONS AND A LOT OF HIS
RECORD AND HIS SUPPORT FOR
CHARTER SCHOOLS AND HIS
RELATIONSHIP WITH THE TECH
COMMUNITY.
>> AND WALL STREET.
>> AND WALL STREET.
AND HE DOESN'T CAPTURE THE
ZEITGEIST AND GET AS MUCH
COVERAGE AS ANY OF THE OTHER
CANDIDATES WHO ARE ON THE
NATIONAL STAGE OR NATIONAL
CONVERSATION.
HE'S HAD DIFFICULTY BREAKING
THROUGH, ESPECIALLY WHEN HE'S
SORT OF IN THE MIDDLE OF THE
PACK POLICIWISE.
HE'S NOT BEING FOCUSED ON AS THE
EXTREME OF ANY OF THE CANDIDATES
IN THE RACE.
THAT MAKES IT DIFFICULT TO GET
YOUR VOICE OUT THERE, TO RAISE
ENOUGH MONEY TO MEET THE
THRESHOLD, AND IT SPIRALS FROM
THERE.
>> I FEEL TERRIBLE FOR SENATOR
BOOKER.
I HONESTLY DO.
HE DOES NOT COME FROM MONEY,
COMES FROM NOTHING, BECOMES A
BIG-TIME GUY, BECOMES MAYOR OF
NEWARK, BECOMES A U.S. SENATOR,
AFRICAN-AMERICAN U.S. SENATOR
FROM NEW JERSEY.
THAT'S A BIG DEAL AND IT'S LIKE
WE DON'T EVEN CARE.
SENATOR BOOKER AND SECRETARY
CASTRO NOT REGISTERING.
AND CASTRO IS ON THE RADAR.
HOW IS IT POSSIBLE YOU HAVE
JULIAN CASTRO NOT ON, SENATOR
BOOKER NOT ON AND IT'S OKAY IN
THIS DEMOCRATIC PARTY THAT SO
IDENTIFIES WITH MINORITY VOTERS,
WHO NEED MINORITY VOTERS, WHO
CAN'T SURVIVE WITHOUT
AFRICAN-AMERICAN WOMEN AND
AFRICAN-AMERICANS AND LATINO AND
LATINAS SUPPORTING THEM?
NOT ONE ON STAGE.
A GUY LIKE SENATOR BOOKER
DOESN'T REGISTER.
>> HE'S FROM A MIDDLE CLASS
STORY, SO HE'S NOT A RAGS TO
RICHES STORY.
I WILL SAY HIS RECORD AS MAYOR,
IF HE DOES SURGE IN THE POLLS,
HIS RECORD AS MAY IS GOING TO
COME UNDER SCRUTINY AND THE
WATER CRISIS, HIS RELATIONSHIP
WITH BETSY DeVOS AND THE CHARTER
SCHOOLS WILL COME INTO QUESTION.
A LOT OF THINGS THAT HIS
MODERATE STANCE AS MAYOR OF
NEWARK WILL SERVE AS A REAL
ACHILLES' HEEL FOR HIM.
WE KNOW BLACK AND LATINX DON'T
GIVE TO CAMPAIGNS BECAUSE THE
ECONOMICS OF HOW WE'RE PAID
LESS, CONTRIBUTES TO ALL THE
INEQUITIES THAT TRICKLES UP TO
THE CANDIDATES NOT BEING ON
STAGE.
>> THIS IS A GREAT CONVERSATION.
I FEEL LIKE WE COVERED
EVERYTHING IN THE WAY PRESENTED
IN THE MEDIA.
MOST OF OUR TIME WAS SPENT WITH
BLOOMBERG.
WE ARGUED ABOUT POLICY.
WE DID NOT FORGET ABOUT CORY
BOOKER.
THAT WAS IMPORTANT.
THAW ALL FOR JOINING ME.
>> HAPPY NEW YEAR.
>> HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU, TOO.
THANKS FOR WATCHING ELECTION
2020, A "METROFOCUS" FORECUSS.
HEAD TO METRO FOCUS.ORG OR
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK OR
TWITTER.
HAVE A GREAT NIGHT.
>>> HOW YOU CAN TAKE
"METROFOCUS" WITH YOU ANYWHERE
ANY TIME.
IT'S SIMPLE AND IT'S FREE.
DOWNLOAD THE "METROFOCUS" APP
AVAILABLE FOR iPHONE AND
ANDROID.
WHEN YOU DO, YOU'LL GET THE
LATEST NEWS, WEATHER AND TRAFFIC
FOR THE ENTIRE METRO AREA.
IN THE MEANTIME, FOLLOW US ON
FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR
UP-TO-THE-MINUTE INFORMATION
IMPACTING OUR COMMUNITY.
WE'LL SEE YOU AGAIN TOMORROW.
>> "METROFOCUS" IS MADE POSSIBLE
BY JAMES AND MERRYL TISCH,
SUE AND EDGAR WACHENHEIM III,
THE SYLVIA A. AND SIMON B. POYTA
PROGRAMING ENDOWMENT TO FIGHT
ANTI-SEMITISM.
BERNARD AND IRENE SCHWARTZ,
BARBARA HOPE ZUCKERBERG,
AND BY --

Funders

MetroFocus is made possible by James and Merryl Tisch, Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Sylvia A. and Simon B. Poyta Programming Endowment to Fight Anti-Semitism, Bernard and Irene Schwartz, Rosalind P. Walter, Barbara Hope Zuckerberg, Jody and John Arnhold, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Family, Janet Prindle Seidler, Judy and Josh Weston and the Dr. Robert C. and Tina Sohn Foundation.

WNET

© WNET All Rights Reserved.

825 Eighth Avenue

New York, NY 10019