POLITICAL SHOWDOWNS

January 10, 2019 at 4:30 am

President Trump stands resolute against passing a budget if the border wall isn’t funded. And while the political maneuvering continues on Capitol Hill, federal workers most likely won’t see a paycheck this week. On the eve of his State of the City address, we examine Mayor de Blasio’s plan to guarantee healthcare for all. What would the reality of these moves mean for New Yorkers in dollars and sense? Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is expected to leave the Department of Justice. What lies ahead for the Mueller-Russia investigation?

Aired on January 9, 2019. 

Transcript Print

>>> MY FELLOW AMERICANS TONIGHT
I'M SPEAKING TO YOU BECAUSE
THERE IS A GROWING HUMANITARIAN
AND SECURITY CRISIS AT OUR
SOUTHERN BORDER.
EVERY WEEK SFINS ARE KILLED BY
HORN ALONE, 90% OF WHICH FLOODS
ACROSS FROM OUR SOUTHERN BORDER.
THIS IS A HUMANITARIAN CRISIS, A
CRISIS OF THE HEART AND A CRISIS
OF THE SOUL.
HOW MUCH MORE AMERICAN BLOOD
MUST WE SHED BEFORE CONGRESS
DOES ITS JOB?
>> GOOD EVENING AND WELCOME TO
"METROFOCUS," I'M JENNA
FLANAGAN.
LAST NIGHT PRESIDENT DONALD
TRUMP ADDRESSED THE NATION AND
HELD FIRM STATING HIS CASE FOR A
WALL ALONG OUR SOUTHERN BORDERS
AND THE COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH
IT.
EVEN IF IT COMES WITH THE COST
OF OUR GOVERNMENT SHUT DOWN
UNTIL FUNDING IS FOUND.
IN RESPONSE SENATE MINORITY
CHUCK SCHUMER AND HOUSE LEADER
NANCY PELOSI HELD A RARE JOINT
PRESS CONFERENCE.
RESOLUTE.
>> SADLY FULL OF MISINFORMATION
AND EVEN MALICE.
PRESIDENT TRUMP HAS CHOSEN FEAR.
MUST STOP HOLDING AMERICAN
PEOPLE HOSTAGE, MANUFACTURING A
CRISIS.
OPEN THE GOVERNMENT.
>> SYMBOL OF AMERICA SHOULD BE
STATUE OF LIBERTY, NOT A 30-FOOT
WALL.
>> IN MIDST, ROSENSTEIN
ANNOUNCED HE WOULD BE LATEST TO
LEAVE THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION.
AT STAKE THE MUELLER PROBE AND
INVESTIGATION INTO RUSSIA.
AND MAYOR de BLASIO, STATE OF
THE CITY ADDRESS.
JOINING US, NEW YORK STATE
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR, POST AND
BETSY McCOY AND ALICE HENEGHAN.
WELCOME TO YOU BOTH.
START IN WASHINGTON WITH
REACTIONS FROM BOTH.
>> TRUMP MADE A VERY STRONG
MORAL ARGUMENT FOR BUILDING THE
WALL.
>> WHAT A WASTE OF TIME, CAN I
HAVE MY EIGHT MINUTES BACK
PLEASE?
>> PERFECT DESCRIPTION OF HOW
AMERICA SEEMS TO FEEL.
BUT SOME OF THE POINTS THAT THE
PRESIDENT WAS MAKING, WE DIDN'T
HEAR HIM IN TRADITIONAL WALL
STANCE HE'S TAKEN.
HAMMERED THAT WE NEED TO BUILD A
WALL.
SEEMED TO BACK OFF FROM THAT A
LITTLE BIT MORE.
WHAT DID YOU THINK OF THE TONE
OF HIS ADDRESS?
>> I THOUGHT IT WAS
COMPASSIONATE AND INCLUSIVE.
WHEN I MENTIONED MORAL CASE,
ACCUSED SO OFTEN OF ASKING FOR
IMMORAL WALL.
WHAT HE SAID WAS IMMORAL NOT TO
BUILD THE WALL, TO ALLOW 500,000
VERY IMPOVERISHED PEOPLE TO
FLOOD ACROSS THE BORED AND
EXPECT AMERICAN TAXPAYERS TO PAY
FOR FOOD, HOUSING, MEDICAL CARE.
AMERICANS ARE MAXED OUT HELPING
PEOPLE ALREADY HERE.
IN NEW YORK, 63,000 HOMELESS, UP
43% OVER TEN YEARS.
WE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN
FIRST.
>> ALEX?
>> GREAT ARGUMENT FOR
COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION
REFORM.
NOT FOR A WALL.
WHAT WE GOT LAST NIGHT WAS SAME
WARMED OVER ARGUMENTS THE
PRESIDENT HAS BEEN MAKING MORE
THAN TWO YEARS.
AMERICANS AREN'T CONVINCED BY
IT.
CAN'T GET IT THROUGH CONGRESS.
WASN'T ABLE TO GET IT THROUGH
CONGRESS WHEN HIS PARTY
CONTROLLED BOTH HOUSES OF IT.
I GOT TO TELL YOU, I THINK THE
NETWORKS GOT TAKEN LAST NIGHT,
ALL OF US SUCKED INTO SOMETHING
THAT REALLY SHOULD BE HELD FOR
IMPORTANT NATIONAL EVENT.
THIS WAS A FRAUD.
>> LET ME POINT OUT IN FACT
THERE IS STRONG PUBLIC SUPPORT
AND SUPPORT IN CONGRESS.
FUNDING FOR WALL WAS PASSED IN
2006, 2013 AND 18 MONTHS AGO.
>> LET'S DEAL WITH THINGS WE
KNOW WILL WORK, IGNORE THINGS
THAT -- PUT IN HANDS OF ACTUAL
EXPERTS, NOT PBASED ON A SLOGAN
HE'S YELLING OUT TO YAHOOS WHO
LEARNED TO ANSWER IT BACK.
>> WHETHER A WALL WORKS, AT
BEGINNING EUROPEANS SAID WALL
WASN'T NECESSARY.
THEN BECAUSE OF THE FLOOD OF
MIGRANTS FROM THE MIDDLE EAST
AND NORTH AFRICA, THEY'VE
REALIZED IN ERA OF MIGRATION
WALLS ARE NECESSARY.
FOR EXAMPLE THE UNITED KINGDOM
BUILT A WALL IN CALAIS, FRANCE,
TO PREVENT MIGRANTS COMING
THROUGH THE TUNNEL AND HOPPING
ON TRUCKS AND CARS GOING TO
GREAT BRITAIN THROUGH THE
TUNNEL.
THEY BUILT A WALL.
>> THERE IS EUROPE AND AMERICA.
AMERICA IS SUPPOSED TO BE A
NATION OF IMMIGRANTS.
>> LEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
>> YOU AND PRESIDENT HAVE TRIED
TO MAKE THAT ARGUMENT FOR YEARS
NOW.
IT'S FAILED.
COULDN'T GET IT THROUGH
CONGRESS.
STILL CAN'T.
WHY WE NEED TO SHUT DOWN
IMPORTANT PART OF THE FEDERAL
GOVERNMENT IN ORDER TO HOLD US
HOSTAGE SO THE PRESIDENT CAN TRY
AND ACHIEVE IN A UNILATERAL
WAY -- SURPRISED AS CONSERVATIVE
YOU APPROVE OF THAT -- BUT
UNILATERAL WAY THAT OUR POLITICS
IN AMERICA WON'T ALLOW.
>> LET'S FACE IT, WITHOUT A
WALL, WE DON'T HAVE BORDER.
NOT TALKING ABOUT CONCRETE WALL.
PRESIDENT HAS --
>> SAID HE WANTED SLATS.
>> MANY EXPERTS SAY THAT'S
BETTER SO BORDER GUARDS CAN SEE
THROUGH THE SLATS AND ANTICIPATE
A PROBLEM.
WITHOUT SOME BARRIER, IT'S
IMPOSSIBLE TO POLICE A BORDER AS
LONG AS DISTANCE FROM NEW YORK
TO DENVER.
IT'S A VERY LONG SPACE.
WE HAVE SOME SORT OF BORDER ON
ABOUT A THIRD OF THE SPACE.
>> WHERE APPROPRIATE.
>> IN 2/3 OF THE SPACE MIGRANTS
ARE BEING BROUGHT ACROSS, SO
MANY OF THEM DYING.
500,000 LAST YEAR CAME ACROSS
ILLEGALLY.
30% OF THE WOMEN FACED SOME
SEXUAL ASSAULT.
11,000 CHILDREN ARRIVED
UNACCOMPANIED.
THIS IS A HUMANITARIAN CRISIS.
AND BUILDING SOME SORT OF BORDER
WILL PREVENT COYOTES FROM
EXPLOITING THESE PEOPLE, OFTEN
TO THEIR DEATH.
>> EVERYBODY CAN AGREE THERE IS
A HUMANITARIAN CRISIS.
QUESTION IS WHAT BECOMES OF THE
PEOPLE ATTEMPTING TO -- LOT OF
THEM TRYING TO CLAIM ASYLUM WHEN
THEY GET TO THE BORDER.
>> ONLY 8% QUALIFY
UNFORTUNATELY, IT'S FOR PEOPLE
PERSECUTED BY THEIR GOVERNMENT.
AND MOST OF THESE PEOPLE ARE
SEEKING ECONOMY BENEFITS.
THEY WANT TO COME TO A COUNTRY
WHERE THEY CAN GET A JOB.
THAT'S UNDERSTANDABLE BUT THINK
ABOUT THIS.
OTHER PEOPLE ARE DOING IT
LEGALLY.
I ALSO HAVE A LOT OF HEART FOR
THE PEOPLE WHO ARE WAITING IN
LINE, OBEYING THE LAW, HOPING TO
GET TO AMERICA AND MAKE A BETTER
LIFE.
THEY'RE DOING IT THE RIGHT AWAY.
WHY SHOULD THESE PEOPLE BE ABLE
TO JUMP IN FRONT OF THEM?
>> HERE'S THE PROBLEM, NOT ONE
OF THESE THINGS, SOME LEGITIMATE
AND SOME EXAGGERATED THAT YOU
SAID, NONE SOLVABLE BY A WALL.
FAMILIES FROM SOUTH AMERICA
SEEKING ASYLUM, A PROCESS THAT
REQUIRES THEM TO GO TO LEGAL
POINT OF ENTRY AND SUPPORT
THEMSELVES.
>> MOST OF THEM DON'T.
>> I UNDERSTAND.
THE DRUGS THAT YOU AND PRESIDENT
SO CONCERNED ABOUT, VAST
MAJORITY COME OFF TRUCKS AND
AIRPLANES AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO
WITH THE TWO,000-MILE BORDER.
LARGEST GROUP OF PEOPLE HERE
ILLEGALLY COME ON LEGAL VISAS
AND OVERSTAY THEM.
BUILD A WALL 1,000 FEET IN THE
SKY AND WON'T DO A THINK.
THIS IS A CAMPAIGN SLOGAN, NOT A
POLICY.
>> IF YOU HAVE AUTO ACCIDENT
PROBLEM, DON'T SAY MORE PEOPLE
DIE OF CANCER.
NO CAN SOLVE VISA OVERSTAYERS
AND PEOPLE --
>> RIGHT NOW TALKING ABOUT THE
PROPOSITION OF THE WALL.
HE WASN'T ONLY PERSON WHO SPOKE.
WANT TO ADDRESS THE DEMOCRATIC
RESPONSE?
>> I THINK IT'S UNFAIR FOR THE
DEMOCRATS TO LABEL THE WALL
IMMORAL OR RACIST.
THEY CAN HAVE A DISAGREEMENT ON
POLICY.
I RESPECT THAT.
THAT'S OUR SYSTEM BUT TO USE
UGLY UNFAIR WORDS IS WHY THERE'S
NO COMPROMISE.
ONCE YOU CALL SOMEBODY IMMORAL
OR A RACIST, HOW CAN YOU
COMPROMISE WITH THEM?
IT'S NOT RACIST THAT THE BORDER
WALL ASKED FOR IS ON THE
SOUTHERN BORDER.
CANADIAN BORDER, 349 PEOPLE CAME
ACROSS IT ILLEGALLY LAST YEAR.
WHEN SENATOR CHRIS MURPHY FROM
CONNECTICUT SAYS IT'S RACIST TO
WANT A BORDER WALL IN SOUTH NOT
THE NORTH, IT'S NEEDED WHERE THE
LAWBREAKERS ARE.
500,000 PEOPLE COMPARED WITH
349.
>> BETSY MAY NOT BE MOTIVATED BY
RACIST FEELINGS BUT THIS WAS
USED IN RACIST WAYS BY THE
PRESIDENT AND MANY PEOPLE ARE
RESPONDING TO IT IN WAYS THAT
ARE RACIST.
AND GET BACK TO THE
PRACTICALITIES, THERE IS A ISSUE
WITH BORDER WE NEED TO TEAL WITH
BUT NO ARGUMENT FOR SHUTTING
DOWN THE GOVERNMENT WHILE WE
HAVE THE DEBATES, HARMING ALL
SORTS OFPO INNOCENT PEOPLE IN T
COUNTRY.
TAKING DECISIONS AWAY FROM
PEOPLE WHO -- PARTS OF THE
BORDER MAY NEED A FENCE.
WE HAVE SOME ALREADY.
NOTION OF SEA TO SHINING SEA OF
WALLS, I DON'T THINK THE
PRESIDENT BELIEVES IN IT
ANYMORE.
>> WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE BUT SO
MUCH NEWS.
FROM THE PRESIDENT AND
DEMOCRATIC RESPONSE, MOVE ON TO
ROD ROSENSTEIN.
>> YOU KNOW WHAT, HE'S BEEN A
STERLING PROFESSIONAL, APPOINTED
BY REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT AS YOU
KNOW.
LOT OF MY REPUBLICAN FRIENDS
LOVED HIM.
HE'S BEEN A BULWARK, PROTECTING
THE MUELLER INVESTIGATION, GOING
BY RULE OF LAW, NOT ALLOWING
HIMSELF TO BE BROUGHT INTO
POLITICAL HIT JOBS.
IT MAKES ME NERVOUS HE'S
LEAVING.
GOT TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH.
>> I'M NOT NERVOUS, HE SAID THE
DAY HE TOOK THE JOB HE'S STAYING
TWO YEARS.
LEAVING ON SCHEDULE OF HIS OWN
VOLITION, PRESIDENT DIDN'T ASK
HIM TO LEAVE.
WE HAVE A NEW ATTORNEY GENERAL
COMING IN, CUSTOMARY TO BUILD
HIS OWN TEAM.
NO RED FLAGS WITH ROD LEAVING.
>> MOVING ON TO THE
INVESTIGATION THAT ROD HAS
PLAYED A HAND IN PROTECTING.
SOME PEOPLE ARE SAYING, THE
MUELLER INVESTIGATION.
SEEN HEADLINES AROUND THAT.
RESPONSES TO THE LATEST
DEVELOPMENT?
STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN A REPORT.
>> AMAZING TO ME AFTER ALL THIS
TIME HE'S NOT CONNECTED THE
DOTS.
ISSUED QUITE A FEW INDICTMENTS
WHICH I'VE READ CAREFULLY,
AGAINST RUSSIANS, RHEIN
COMPANIES AND INDIVIDUALS.
AND SEPARATELY GONE OFF PAUL
MANAFORT FOR ACTS THEY COMMITTED
LONG BEFORE THEY WORKED FOR
TRUMP.
BUT NOT ABLE TO LINK ANY OF THE
MISDEEDS TO THE WHITE HOUSE, THE
PRESIDENT OR HIS CAMPAIGN.
>> NOT SEEN THAT YET.
>> JUST CAME OUT YESTERDAY,
CHAIRMAN OF THE PRESIDENT'S
CAMPAIGN, MR. MANAFORT, WAS
SHOWING INTERNAL POLLING
DOCUMENTS TO SOMEONE INTIMATELY
CLOSE TO THE PUTIN REGIME IN THE
KREMLIN, OUGHT TO MAKE ALL OF US
NERVOUS.
>> WHY?
>> BECAUSE THEY'RE COORDINATING
WITH THE RUSSIANS IN THE MIDDLE
OF THE ELECTION.
I DON'T SEE EVIDENCE OF THAT
YET.
>> IT'S IN THE COURT PAPERS THAT
CAME OUT YESTERDAY.
SERIES OF INDICTMENTS, GUILTY
PLEAS AND COOPERATING.
>> EVERYBODY PLEADS GUILTY IN
OUR SYSTEM, UNFORTUNATELY NOW
RIGHT TO TRIAL BY JURY IS
VIRTUALLY PBANISHED.
PROSECUTOR SAID IF YOU PLEAD
GUILTY AND COOPERATE, ONLY A
LITTLE PRISON TIME BUT PLEAD
INNOCENT AND DEMAND
CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO TRIAL BY
JURY GOING TO GIVE YOU LIFETIME
IN PRISON.
EVEN PEOPLE WHO AREN'T GUILTY
PLEAD GUILTY TO SAVE THEIR NECKS
AND THEN TESTIFY AGAINST SOMEONE
ELSE.
>> CAMPAIGN MANAGER, DEPUTY
CAMPAIGN MANAGER, PRIVATE
ATTORNEY, LIST GOES ON AND ON.
NEVER HAPPENED IN OBAMA
ADMINISTRATION DID IT?
>> NOT CONNECTED TO THE
PRESIDENT.
>> WHOLE OTHER SHOW ON THAT ONE.
>> GOOD STUFF.
>> MOVING ON TO THE LOCALE
FRONT.
MAYOR de BLASIO, NEW PROPOSALS.
BIGGEST IS HEALTH CARE.
YOU HAVE A LOT TO SAY ON HEALTH
CARE.
>> BOTH OF US DO FOR SURE.
>> THIS WAS POLITICAL HOAX, MADE
ANNOUNCEMENT THAT IN CITY OF
NEW YORK EVERY SINGLE PERSON
WILL HAVE ACCESS TO PUBLICLY
PROVIDED HEALTH CARE AND THEIR
OWN DOCTOR.
HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO
ACCOMPLISH ALL OF THIS FOR $100
MILLION A YEAR.
THAT WORKS OUT TO $170 PER YEAR
FOR PERSON.
MIGHT GET APPOINTMENT WITH NURSE
PRACTITIONER FOR THAT MONEY
PROVIDED YOU DON'T EXPECT
FOLLOW-UP TESTS OR MEDICATIONS.
>> STAND UP FOR NURSE
PRACTITIONERS FOR A SECOND.
THEY'RE THE FUTURE OF HEALTH
CARE.
>> DIDN'T DISS THEM, CHARGE LESS
THAN PHYSICIAN.
>> THERE'S A BIG PROBLEM.
IN A DECENT SOCIETY, PEOPLE HAVE
RIGHT TO HEALTH CARE.
SHOULDN'T HAVE SICKNESSES,
ILLNESSES AND PROBLEMS AND BE
UNABLE BECAUSE OF ECONOMIC
REASONS TO GET DECENT BASIC
HEALTH CARE.
IT'S COMPLICATED, EXPENSIVE, ALL
KINDS OF PUBLIC AND PRIVATE
INTERESTS ARE FIGHTING ABOUT IT.
BUT GIVE THE MAYOR A LITTLE BIT
OF CREDIT TO STAND UP, SAY THIS
IS IMPORTANT, THIS IS
COMPASSIONATE CITY, WE HAVE A
LOT OF MONEY HERE, LET'S TRY TO
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT.
>> MIRAGE, THIS IS HIGHLY
AMBITIOUS MAYOR WHO WANTS TO BE
IN THE FIELD WITH THE
PRESIDENTIAL WANNABES.
WANTS TO BE ON THE STAGE.
IT'S MAJOR ISSUE SO HELD A PRESS
CONFERENCE.
THERE IS NO MEAT BEHIND IT.
NO CHANGES.
CAN'T TAKE $100 MILLION AND
ENSURE ALL THE PEOPLE PRIMARY
CARE PHYSICIAN.
WHAT HE PROMISED.
NOT HAPPENING.
HOAX.
>> MAYBE GET SOME OF THE WALL
MONEY WE HEARD ABOUT.
>> EXACTLY HOW IS ALL OF THIS
GOING TO BE PAID FOR?
>> IT'S COMPLICATED AND
EXPENSIVE.
>> THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH
ANSWER.
>> BECAUSE OF THE INSURANCE
COMPANIES AND PROFIT MOTIVE AND
BUREAUCRACIES AND HISTORY OF
THIS, IT'S VERY CHALLENGING.
IN THIS COUNTRY SPEND MORE THAN
ANYONE ON EARTH AND GET WORSE
RESULTS THAN MANY DEVELOPED
COUNTRIES.
>> THAT'S NOT TRUE.
>> AND WE HAVE MILLIONS OF
AMERICANS WHO DO NOT RECEIVE
ADEQUATE HEALTH CARE, DON'T HAVE
HEALTH INSURANCE, CAN'T AFFORD
IT, BURDEN EVEN FOR MIDDLE-CLASS
PEOPLE.
I WANT OUR POLITICIANS SOLVING
IT.
JOIN ME ON MEDICARE FOR ALL.
>> MAYORS GO TO ALBANY FOR TIN
CUP DAY, WONDERING IF THIS IS A
PLOY TO PUSH ALBANY.
>> I DON'T THINK CUOMO WILL DO
THAT.
HE HAS HIS OWN EYES ON THE WHITE
HOUSE IN 2020.
HE KNOWS HIS LANE IS MODERATE
LANE AND UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE
PROPOSALS ALL REQUIRE THAT 160
MILLION PEOPLE WITH HEALTH CARE
ON THE JOB, MANY IN PUBLIC
UNIONS, GIVE UP HEALTH CARE TO
BE PART OF THE PUBLIC SYSTEM.
IT'S NEVER GOING TO FLY.
FACT IS ANDREW CUOMO IS TOO
SENSIBLE TO GET BEHIND THAT.
>> HEARING FOR A LONG TIME FROM
CONSERVATIVES FRIENDS WE CAN'T
DO IT, TOO COMPLICATED, TOO
EXPENSIVE, AMERICANS REALLY
DON'T -- I DON'T BELIEVE ANY OF
IT.
OTHER COUNTRIES DO IT WAY
BETTER.
YES, DIFFICULT AND EXPENSIVE BUT
WHY NOT START TRYING STUFF?
THESE ARE HUMAN RIGHTS.
PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE SICK AND
UNABLE TO GO TO DOCTOR.
>> I'M FULLY SUPPORTING OF
HELPING UNINSURED BUT NOT GOING
TO RIP HEALTH COVERAGE FROM
PEOPLE WHO ALREADY HAVE IT AND
LIKE IT.
165 MILLION PEOPLE EARNED
ON-THE-JOB HEALTH CARE SHOULDN'T
BE TOLD THEY HAVE TO GIVE IT UP.
>> GOOD.
>> I HOPE TO HAVE YOU BOTH BACK
FOR DEBATE.
>> GOOD.
>> FAIR ENOUGH.
>> THANK YOU.

Funders

MetroFocus is made possible by James and Merryl Tisch, Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Sylvia A. and Simon B. Poyta Programming Endowment to Fight Anti-Semitism, Bernard and Irene Schwartz, Rosalind P. Walter, Barbara Hope Zuckerberg, Jody and John Arnhold, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Family, Janet Prindle Seidler, Judy and Josh Weston and the Dr. Robert C. and Tina Sohn Foundation.

WNET

© WNET All Rights Reserved.

825 Eighth Avenue

New York, NY 10019