ANOTHER SHOOTING, ANOTHER SOFT TARGET

November 09, 2018 at 4:45 am

The mass shooting at a bar in Thousand Oaks, California has claimed 12 innocent lives and that of the gunman. We explore what these recent events tell us about keeping safe.

Aired on November 8, 2018.

Transcript Print

>>> SERGEANT PASSED AWAY AT THE
HOSPITAL ABOUT AN HOUR AGO, AND
I HAVE BEEN A COP FOR 41 YEARS,
AND I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE
THE THINGS AROUND THE COUNTRY
THAT WOULD HAPPEN, BUT I'VE
LEARNED IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT
COMMUNITY YOU'RE IN, IT DOESN'T
MATTER HOW SAFE YOUR COMMUNITY
IS, IT CAN HAPPEN ANYWHERE.
>> AN UNDERSTANDABLY EMOTIONAL
SHERIFF, THURSDAY MORNING AFTER
THE SHOOTING AT THE BORDERLINE
BAR AND GRILL THAT LEFT A DOZEN
DEAD INCLUDING A LAW ENFORCEMENT
OFFICER AND THE GUNMAN.
IAN DAVID LONG WHO SOME HAVE
SUGGESTED MIGHT HAVE BEEN
SUFFERING FROM POST-TRAUMATIC
STRESS DISORDER OPENED FIRE ON
THE CROWD BEFORE TAKING HIS OWN
LIFE.
ANOTHER MASSACRE, ANOTHER SOFT
TARGET, WITH MOUNTING DEATH
TOLLS AROUND THE COUNTRY, CAN WE
FEEL SAFE ANYWHERE.
HERE WITH SOME HELP IN
DISCUSSING THESE ISSUES IS
FORMER NPD LIEUTENANT DR. DARREN
PORCHER.
IT'S ALWAYS GOOD ME START --
>> WITHOUT SECURITY.
THAT'S THE CONNECTION WE HAVE
WITH A SOFT TARGET, AND
SHOOTERS, MASS SHOOTERS IN
PARTICULAR WANT TO TARGET THESE
SOFT TARGETS BECAUSE IT'S SO
MUCH EASIER FOR THEM.
I GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE, A COUPLE
OF YEARS AGO, WE HAD THE DYLANN
ROOF SHOOTING IN THE CHURCH IN
CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA, IN
HIS TESTIMONY HE SPECIFICALLY
STATED THE REASON WHY HE
TARGETED THIS CHURCH BECAUSE HE
HAD NO FEAR OF RETRIBUTION OR
RETALIATION FROM THE
PARISHIONERS IN THE CHURCH.
HE HAD TARGETED OTHER LOCATIONS
IN CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA,
AND HE FELT THIS WAS MORE
APPROPRIATE TO ADVANCE HIS
AGENDA.
THAT'S WHY HE FOCUSSED ON A SOFT
TARGET.
>> WE ARE BEING TOLD THAT THE
SHOOTER WAS APPARENTLY A MARINE
CORPS VETERAN.
WE'RE TOLD THAT IT WAS.45
HANDGUN THAT HE USED.
THERE WAS A SUGGESTION A SMOKE
BOMB MIGHT HAVE BEEN UTILIZED
ALSO TO CREATE HAVOC AND
CONFUSION.
AS A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER AND
INVESTIGATOR, WHAT DO ALL OF
THOSE FACTS TELL YOU?
>> WELL, I SEE A STAUNCH
CONTRAST IN COMPARISON TO
SEVERAL SHOOTINGS.
ONE, I GO BACK TO 2012, THE
AURORA, COLORADO, SHOOTING WITH
MR. HOLMES, HE USED SMOKE
CANISTERS, THIS IS A SIGN OF
PREMEDITATED ATTACK.
THESE TYPES OF ATTACKS IN THESE
TYPES OF VENUES IT'S VERY
DIFFICULT AS THE COMMON CITIZEN
TO PROTECT OURSELVES.
THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT OPTIONS,
ONE IS YOU CAN RUN, HIDE AND
DIAL 911.
>> I WANT TO SPEND SOME TIME ON
THAT, BECAUSE ONE OF THE THINGS
THAT PEOPLE WILL OFTEN SAY,
ESPECIALLY NOW THAT WE'RE
TALKING ABOUT SOFT TARGETS, YOU
KNOW, IF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT A
SCENARIO WHERE THERE IS SECURITY
AROUND A HARDER TARGET, PUBLIC
CITIZENS, PRIVATE CITIZENS SEEM
TO SAY, WELL, THERE ARE PEOPLE
DESIGNED THERE TO PROTECT
AGAINST THAT, BUT NOW YOU'RE
TALKING ABOUT A BAR, AND A
COLLEGE COUNTRY MUSIC NIGHT.
WE TALKED ABOUT A CHURCH.
LAS VEGAS, LIKE A COUNTRY MUSIC,
BIG COUNTRY MUSIC CONCERT.
SO THE FIRST THING THAT PEOPLE
WILL SAY IS, EITHER TO
THEMSELVES OR OUT LOUD, IF I
FIND MYSELF IN A SITUATION SUCH
AS THAT, WHAT SHOULD I DO.
I DON'T KNOW THAT THERE ARE ANY
HARD ANSWERS.
LET'S START OFF WITH THE FIRST
THREE SUGGESTIONS YOU'RE TALKING
ABOUT.
>> RIGHT.
>> DOES ONE PHILOSOPHY RUN, HIDE
AND DIAL 911.
THERE'S A SECOND PHILOSOPHY IS
TO FIGHT, MEANING CONVERGE ON
THE GUNMAN.
BELIEVE IT OR NOT, HISTORICALLY
THE PREMISE OF CONVERGING ON THE
GUNMAN HAS BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL,
AND WE GO BACK TO 1993, HERE IN
NEW YORK, ON THE LIRR RAILROAD,
WE HAD A GUNMAN, COLIN FERGUSON,
THE PATE TRONS ON THAT --
PATRONS ON THAT LIRR TRAIN
CONVERGED ON COLIN FERGUSON AND
IT STOPPED THE CARNAGE.
ANOTHER EXAMPLE, JANUARY OF THIS
YEAR, WE HAD SOME U.S.
SERVICEMEN ON A TRAIN IN FRANCE.
THEY CONVERGED ON A SUSPECTED
TERRORIST.
HE REVEALED A FIREARM, IT WAS
ACTUALLY A RIFLE, AND IN THE
LAST INSTANCE I CAN REMEMBER IS
WE LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED DURING
9/11.
THE 9/11 HIJACKERS THAT WERE
OVER PENNSYLVANIA, WHAT HAPPENS
IS YOU DRASTICALLY REDUCE THE
CARNAGE WHEN YOU APPROACH THE
SHOOTER DIRECTLY, AS OPPOSED TO
WHE
WHEN YOU LOOK TO RUN, HIDE, AND
DIAL 911, YOU HAVE A GREATER
PROPENSITY OF A HIGHER CASUALTY
RACE.
WHAT HAPPENED IN THE PULSE
NIGHTCLUB IN ORLANDO, FLORIDA,
NOT TOO LONG AGO.
>> WHAT WOULD, OBVIOUSLY THIS IS
AN AREA WHERE YOU'RE GOING TO
HAVE GOOD, INTELLIGENCE, WELL
TRAINED PEOPLE ARE GOING TO HAVE
DIFFERENT OPINIONS ABOUT IT,
WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO SOMETHING
WHO SAY, I HEARD SOMEONE ELSE
SAY YOU DON'T WANT TO CONFRONT,
FLIGHT IS YOUR BETTER OPTION?
>> RIGHT.
IT GOES BACK TO TWO DIFFERENT
OPTIONS, SHELTER IN PLACE OR
EVACUATE.
THERE'S NO COOKIE CUTTER METHOD
THAT I CAN PLACE YOU IN.
>> YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO FIND A
SAFE PLACE TO SHELTER IN PLACE.
>> IF YOU HAVE A SAFE PLACE TO
SHELTER IN, BY ALL MEANS DO IT.
WHEN YOU'RE LOOKING TO DO AN
EVACUATION, IT NEEDS TO BE A
SAFE PASSAGEWAY.
THAT'S TO BE DETERMINED BASED ON
THE INCIDENT THAT YOU'RE IN.
I GAVE YOU THOSE TWO ASPECTS.
>> IF YOU FIEND YOU DON'T HAVE
THOSE OPPORTUNITIES.
>> YOU HAVE TO FOCUS ON WHAT YOU
HAVE AS OPPOSED TO THE PERFECT
SCENARIO WHERE YOU CAN GET AWAY
UNHARMED OR YOU CAN ATTACK THE
GUNMAN UNHARMED BUT THE TRUTH OF
THE MATTER IS WE HAVE DISCUSSES
ON BOTH ENDS BUT WE HAVE HAD
MORE SUCCESS WHEN THE PUBLIC HAS
CONVERGED ON THE GUNMAN AS
OPPOSED TO RUNNING.
BECAUSE THE CARNAGE --
>> TRY AND ASSESS THINGS.
DARREN, AGAIN, I ALWAYS SAY IT'S
GOOD TO SEE YOU, IT IS, EXCEPT
FOR THE FACT WE OFTEN TALK ABOUT
TRAGEDIES.
>> UNFORTUNATE CIRCUMSTANCES.
>> WE APPRECIATE YOU SHARING
YOUR THOUGHTS.
>> ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO SIT DOWN
WITH YOU.
>> YOU BE WELL.
>> ALL RIGHT.
THANK YOU.

Mutual of America PSEG

Funders

MetroFocus is made possible by James and Merryl Tisch, Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Sylvia A. and Simon B. Poyta Programming Endowment to Fight Anti-Semitism, Bernard and Irene Schwartz, Rosalind P. Walter, Barbara Hope Zuckerberg, Jody and John Arnhold, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Family, Janet Prindle Seidler, and Judy and Josh Weston.

WNET

© 2018 WNET All Rights Reserved.

825 Eighth Avenue

New York, NY 10019