TONIGHT ON METROFOCUS

New York City Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer was out for a run when he discovered anti-immigrant posters plastered in his neighborhood. Tonight he shares his reaction and details on the investigation into who is behind the hate. As NASA celebrates its 60th anniversary, President Kennedy’s niece, filmmaker Rory Kennedy, salutes the space agency that went “Above and Beyond” in helping achieve JFK’s vision. She joins us to share a preview. Next week, PBS stations and state officials partner up in the fight against addiction. Tonight in a preview of our coverage, meet a man who went from federal prosecutor to federal prisoner, and see the harrowing steps he took to break his addiction.

Aired on October 12, 2018. 

TRANSCRIPT

> TONIGHT ON 'METROFOCUS,' A CITY COUNCIL MEMBER OUT FOR A RUN DISCOVERS ANTI IMMIGRANT POSTERS PLASTERING HIS NEIGHBORHOOD.

WHITE SUPREMACISTS HAVE TAKEN CREDIT.

IN A MOMENT, COUNCIL MEMBER VAN BREMER'S REACTION AND THE CURRENT STATE OF THE REACTION.

WE CHOOSE TO GO TO THE MOON.

WE CHOOSE TO GO TO THE MOON IN THIS DECAY AND DO THE OTHER THING, NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE EASY, BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE HARD.

PRESIDENT KENNEDY'S WORDS HAVE INSPIRED GENERATIONS.

AS NASA SELL BRATS ITS '60th ANNIVERSARY, HIS NEEGT, FILMMAKER RORY KEN DEABSOLUTE THE SPACE AGENCY THAT WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ACHIEVE JFK'S VISION.

SHE'S HERE WITH A PREVIEW.

> NEXT WEEK PBS STATIONS AND THE STATE OF NEW YORK JOIN FORCES IN THE FIGHT AGAINST ADDICTION.

TONIGHT A PREVIEW OF OUR COVERAGE AND THE CAUTIONARY TALE OF A MAN WHO WENT FROM FEDERAL PROSECUTOR TO FEDERAL PRISONER BECAUSE OF AN OPIOID ADDICTION.

THOSE STORIES AND MORE AS 'METROFOCUS' STARTS RIGHT NOW.

> THIS IS 'METROFOCUS' WITH RAFAEL P. ROMAN, JACK FORD AND JENNA FLANAGAN.

'METROFOCUS' IS MADE POSSIBLE BY JAMES AND MERRYL TISCH, SUE AND EDGAR WACHENHEIM, III, BERNARD AND IRENE SCHWARTZ, ROSALIND P.

WALTER, BARBARA HOPE ZUCKERBERG AND BY -- CORPORATE FUNDING WAS PROVIDED BY MUTUAL OF AMERICA, YOUR RETIREMENT COMPANY AND BY PSE&G, SERVING CUSTOMERS, STRENGTHENING THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY AND INVESTING IN THE FUTURE.

> SUNNY SIDE QUEENS IS ONE ONE OF THE MOST DIVERSE COMMUNITIES IN THE WORLD.

IMMIGRANTS FROM ACROSS THE GLOBE CALL IT HOME.

RECENTLY AN ANTI IMMIGRANT SIGN CREATED BY A NATIONAL WHITE SUPREMACIST GROUP WAS ANON ANONYMOUSLY POSTED IN THE COMMUNITY.

IT READ, QUOTE, A NOTICE TO ALL SINTS IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, IT IS YOUR CIVIC DUTY TO REPORT IN AND ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS TO U.S. IMMIGRATIONS AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT.

THEY HAVE BROKEN THE LAW, END QUOTE.

THAT, THEN, WAS THE SIGN SEEN BY NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL MEMBER JIMMY VAN BREMER.

HE DECIDED HE NEEDED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

HE JOINS ME NOW WITH THE DETAILS AND THE COMMUNITY'S REACTION.

ALWAYS NICE TO HAVE YOU HERE WITH US.

THANK YOU.

WHAT WAS YOUR REACTION?

YOU'RE GETTING YOUR RUN IN AND -- THERE ARE ALWAYS SIGNS UP AROUND AND ALL OF A SUDDEN, YOU SEE THIS ONE.

SHOCK, BECAUSE AS I GREW CLOSER TO IT, I COULD SEE THE OMINOUS MESSAGE INCLUDED ON IT AND, ALSO, IT LOOKED SEMI OFFICIAL.

IT HAD A REAL NUMBER FOR I.C.E.

AND INVESTIGATIONS UNIT.

SO THAT'S WHAT STOPPED ME LITERALLY IN MY TRACKS AS I WAS RUNNING, IS THE OMINOUS NATURE OF IT AND THE FACT THAT IT WAS MEANT TO INTIMIDATE OUR IMMIGRANT NEIGHBORS.

WHAT DID YOU DO THEN?

WELL, I KNEW IT HAD TO COME DOWN, BECAUSE I DIDN'T WANT ONE MORE FAMILY TO GO DOWN SKILLMAN AVENUE AND SEE THAT AND THINK, WOW, EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET ME.

MY HUSBAND WAS NEARBY AT THE GYM THAT WE GO TO.

I WANTED HIM TO SEE IT.

AND THEN I SAID WE HAVE TO TAKE IT DOWN, AND I WANT TO RECORD IT AND SHARE IT ON SOCIAL MEDIA BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY THERE ARE.

THEY COULD BE IN LOTS OF OTHER PLACE, BUT I WANTED TO LET OTHER NEIGHBORS KNOW, IF YOU SEE THIS HATE, TAKE IT DOWN RIGHT AWAY.

WHAT DID YOU FIND OUT SUBSEQUENTLY ABOUT OTHER SIGNS BEING UP AND WHO THE AUTHORS WERE?

WELL, WE FOUND OUT VERY QUICKLY THAT A WHITE SUPREMACIST HATE GROUP IN TEXAS, VANGUARD AMERICA, HAS CREATED THIS POSTER, TOOK CREDIT FOR CREATING THESE POSTERS.

WHAT SORT OF REACTION ARE YOU GETTING FROM COMMUNITY MEMBERS FOR THESE SIGNS?

PEOPLE ARE, FOR THE MOST PART, HORRIFIED, OBVIOUSLY.

THERE'S BEEN A GREAT COMING TOGETHER.

TRAGICALLY TWO MORE POSTERS APPEARED LAST NIGHT.

I DIDN'T SEE THOSE, BUT NEIGHBORS SAW THEM AND HAD ALREADY STARTED DEFACING THEM AND ULTIMATELY COVERED THEM UP WITH PRO-IMMIGRANT MESSAGES AND NEIGHBORS ABOUT BEING SANCTUARY NEIGHBORS.

SO I'M REALLY PROUD OF MY DISTRICT AND THE PEOPLE WHO ARE OF GOOD FAITH AND GOOD CONSCIENCE AND WHO ARE PROTECTING THEIR NEIGHBORS.

THAT'S WHY WE TALK ABOUT BEING A SANCTUARY CITY.

A SANCTUARY CITY HAS TO HAVE SANCTUARY NEIGHBOR, NEIGHBORS WHO PROTECT ALL NEIGHBORS, INCLUDING IMMIGRANTS.

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY TO ONE OF YOUR CONSTITUENTS WHO CAME UP AND SAID, LOOK, I WANT YOU TO UNDERSTAND SOMETHING, I AM NOT SOMEBODY LIKE THIS GROUP.

I EMBRACE THE IMMIGRANTS IN OUR COMMUNITY, BUT I'M CONCERNED ABOUT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS AND AS A CONSEQUENCE THIS PERSON SAYS TO YOU, I'M LOOKING AT THIS SIGN AND SAYING, ALL RIGHT, WE CAN EMBRACE THOSE WHO ARE HERE LEGALLY AND ARE PART OF OUR COMMUNITY AND HAVE BEEN SIMULATED INTO OUR COMMUNITY, BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN WE SHOULDN'T BE ENFORCING THE LAWS WITH REGARD TO PEOPLE HERE ILLEGALLY.

IF THAT CONSTITUENT SAYS TO YOU, SO, FOR THAT REASON, I'M LOOKING AT THIS SIGN AND I'M THINKING, I'M NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO PUT IT UP, I DON'T HAVE THE SAME KIND OF BELIEFS, BUT I ALSO CAN SEE THE SAME KIND OF NOTION -- WE SAY, IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING.

IF YOU SEE SOMEONE BREAKING INTO SOMEONE'S HOUSE, WE'RE TOLD TO CALL 911.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING TOLD, IF THERE ARE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS HERE, WE SHOULD LET THE GOVERNMENT KNOW ABOUT THAT?

HOW DO YOU ANSWER THAT?

FIRST OF ALL, I WOULD SAY IN MY VIEW NO HUMAN BEING IS ILLEGAL.

THIS IS A NATION OF IMMIGRANTS.

ALL OF US COME TO THIS COUNTRY OR OUR GRANDPARENTS DID ON A PARTICULAR JOURNEY.

FOR SOME THAT INCLUDED DOCUMENTATION.

FOR SOME IT DOESN'T.

WHAT IS SO PERNICIOUS ABOUT THIS FLIER AND THE RESPONSE TO IT, IT'S CALLING ON PEOPLE TO BECOME VIGILANTES, CALLING ON PEOPLE TO IDENTIFY AND CALL INTO I.C.E.

ENFORCEMENT AGENTS PEOPLE WHO THEY BELIEVE ARE UNDOCUMENTED.

BUT HOW DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO IS UNDOCUMENTED SIMPLY BY LOOKING AT THEM?

WHAT WE'RE TRYING TO DO HERE, WHAT THEY'RE TRYING TO DO HERE IS TO PROFILE, IS TO CAST GUILT UPON EVERY IMMIGRANT REGARDLESS OF THEIR STATUS AND TO VILIFY THEM AND TO FRIGHTEN THEM IN THEIR OWN NEIGHBORHOODS.

SO I DISAGREE WITH THOSE WHO SAY I SUPPORT IMMIGRANTS BUT ONLY CERTAIN TYPES OF IMMIGRANTS.

THERE ARE SO MANY FAMILIES IN MY DISTRICT AND IN QUEENS AND IN THIS CITY WHO ARE UNDOCUMENTED FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER.

THEY ARE PEACEFUL.

THEY ARE LAW ABIDING.

THEY ARE WORKING.

THEIR CHILDREN ARE IN OUR SCHOOLS, AND THEY ARE GOOD NEIGHBORS AND THEY NEED TO BE PROTECTED, NOT VILIFIED.

WE CANNOT HAVE CITIZENS RUNNING AROUND SUNNYSIDE SAYING I THINK THAT PERSON IS UNDOCUMENTED, I'M CALLING I.C.E.

THAT'S ABSOLUTE INSANITY.

IS THERE ANYTHING LEGALLY THAT CAN PREVENT THIS GROUP FROM TEXAS FROM COMING TO YOUR DISTRICT AND PUTTING THESE SIGNS UP?

PUTTING UP THE SIGNS IN AND OF ITSELF IS ILLEGAL.

IT'S DEFACING PROPERTY.

WE ALL SEE SIGNS THAT SAY NO POSTING OF SIGNS HERE IN CERTAIN PLACES.

YOU CAN'T GO AROUND ANYWHERE --

THEY COULD BE FINED FOR PUTTING UP THE POSTERS IF WE CAN FIND WHO DID IT.

THAT'S WHY WE ASKED THE NYPD HATE CRIMES INVESTIGATIONS UNIT, IF WE CAN CATCH THOSE DOING THIS ON CAMERA, MAYBE WE CAN IDENTIFY THEM AND FINE THEM.

I WOULD ALSO ARGUE THESE ARE HATE CRIMES.

IF THAT'S THE CASE, THEN FOLKS SHOULD BE PROSECUTED.

LAST QUESTION FOR YOU, WHAT DO YOU SAY TO YOUR COMMUNITY MEMBERS WHO COME TO YOU AND SAY, I'M PUZZLED BY THIS, I'M TROUBLED BY THIS, I'M IN SOME WAYS FRIGHTENED BY THIS?

WHAT SORT OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE THEM?

I WOULD SAY IF FOLKS ARE IMIGRANTS AND ARE FRIGHTENED, KNOW THE VAST MAJORITY OF US ARE HERE TO WORK WITH YOU AND EVEN PROTECT YOU.

MY OFFICE IS A SANCTUARY OFFICE FOR EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN MY COMMUNITY, AND THIS NEIGHBORHOOD, IN PARTICULAR SUNNY SIDE, BUT QUEENS, IS MADE UP OF GOOD PEOPLE, SANCTUARY NEIGHBORS WHO WANT TO BE WITH YOU, WHO WILL STAND WITH YOU, WHO WILL FIGHT FOR YOU, SO DON'T BE AFRAID, THIS IS STILL A SANCTUARY CITY EVEN IF THERE ARE SOME AMONGST US WHO HAVE HATRED IN THEIR HEARTS.

COUNCIL MEMBER, ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO TALK TO YOU.

TROUBLING TIMES, TROUBLING ISSUE.

FIVE, FOUR, THREE, TWO, ONE, ZERO.

WE CHOOSE TO GO TO THE MOON.

WE CHOOSE TO GO TO THE MOON IN THIS DECAY AND DO THE OTHER THING, NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE EASY, BUT BECAUSE THEY ARE HARD!

SOME TENSE MOMENTS IN SPACE THURSDAY AS A ROCKET FAILURE FORCED THE EMERGENCY LANDING FOR U.S. AND RUSSIAN ASTRONAUTS.

A SOYUZ ROCKET MALFUNCTIONED TWO MINUTES AFTER LIFTOFF FROM KAZAN STAN LEADING TO AN ABORTED MISSION BUT A SAFE RETURN HOME, JUST A FEW HUNDRED MILES FROM THE LAUNCH SITE.

THE NASA ADMINISTRATOR TWEETED, QUOTE, THE ASTRONAUTS ARE IN GOOD CONDITION FOLLOWING THE ABORTED LAUNCH.

I'M GRATEFUL EVERYONE IS SAFE.

A THOROUGH INVESTIGATION INTO THE CAUSE OF THE INCIDENT WILL BE CONDUCTED.

WE MENTION NASA BECAUSE IT WAS SIX DECADES AGO THAT PRESIDENT EISENHOWER ESTABLISHED NASA.

IT WAS HIS SUCCESSOR, PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY WHO WOULD LATER SUCCEED IN HIS MISSION OF PUTTING A MAN ON THE MOON, NOT BECAUSE IT WAS EASY, BUT BECAUSE IT WAS HARD.

60 YEARS LATER AT A TIME WHEN THERE IS A DEBATE OVER FUNDING FOR THE FEDERAL AGENCY, PRESIDENT KENNEDY'S NIECE HAS MADE IT HER MISSION TO SPOTLIGHT THE CRITICAL WORK TO NOT ONLY EXPLORING SPACE, BUT ALSO OUR VERY OWN PLANET.

RORY KENNEDY'S LATEST DOCUMENTARY IS CALLED 'ABOVE AND BEYOND: NASA'S JOURNEY TO TOMORROW.'

60 YEARS AGO MY UNCLE PUT FORTH A GREAT CHALLENGE.

SINCE THEN NASA HAS JOURNEYED FAR BEYOND TO INCREASE HUMAN KIND'S FIELD OF VISION.

TODAY WE FACE A GREATER CHALLENGE, THE CHALLENGE WE CANNOT POSTPONE, ONE WE MUST WIN.

WE ARE PLEASED TO WELCOME RORY KENNEDY BACK TO 'METROFOCUS.'

GREAT TO HAVE YOU HERE.

GREAT TO BE HERE.

I ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR FILMS.

YOU FIND GREAT SUBJECT MATTER, AND THE STORYTELLING IS SO EXCEPTIONAL.

THANK YOU.

IT LEADS ME TO MY FIRST QUESTION TO YOU, WITH ALL THE STORIES YOU'VE DONE AND ALL THE STORIES OUT THERE, WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO FOCUS ON THIS ONE?

WELL, PART OF IT WAS MY FAMILY CONNECTION TO NASA AND, OF COURSE, THE AMAZING SPEECH YOU REFERENCED FROM MY UNCLE JACK IN 1962 AT RICE UNIVERSITY WHERE HE TALKED ABOUT LAUNCHING US TO THE MOON AND GETTING THERE WITHIN THE DECADE.

AS YOU SAY, NOT BECAUSE IT WAS EASY, BUT BECAUSE IT WAS HARD.

AND I'VE ALWAYS HAD A DEEP APPRECIATION FOR NASA AND A CONNECTION TO THE ORGANIZATION NOW THAT IT'S 60 YEARS OLD.

I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD TIME TO LOOK BACK.

I THINK FOR MANY OF US WHO GREW UP AT THAT TIME OR IN THE AFTERMATH OF THE APOLLO MISSION, THERE WAS SUCH A SENSE OF EXCITEMENT ABOUT SENDING A MAN TO THE MOON AND EXPLORING SPACE.

I THINK WE'VE LOST THAT A LITTLE BIT.

I THOUGHT MAYBE I COULD GO BACK AND TELL THE STORY OF NOT ONLY NASA'S HISTORY BUT WHAT IT'S ENGAGED IN RIGHT NOW AND HOW TO BRING THAT EXCITEMENT TO THIS GENERATION.

LET ME ASK YOU ABOUT THE THEME OF THIS FILM.

THERE ARE A NUMBER OF THEMES, BUT ONE I WAS STRUCK BY, AND I SAW YOU MENTION IT IN AN OP-ED PIECE THAT YOU WROTE RECENTLY.

YOU WOULD THINK, OKAY, A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT NASA, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT UP THERE, WHAT WE FOUND UP THERE.

IN THE OP-ED PIECE YOU START OFF WITH A QUOTE FROM BILL ANDERS, ONE OF THE ASTRONAUTS IN APOLLO 8.

TELL ME WHAT HE SAID AND HOW THAT INFORMS THE FILM?

APOLLO 8 WAS THE FIRST MISSION TO CIRQUE NAVIGATE THE MOON, TO GO TO WHAT'S KNOWN AS THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.

THAT WAS THE FIRST MISSION.

WHEN THEY RAPID AROUND, THEY TOOK THIS PICTURE WHICH WAS KNOWN AS EARTH RISE, BILL ANDERS TOOK A FAMOUS PICTURE NOW, CALLED EARTH RISE.

IT WAS THE FIRST TIME A HUMAN HAD TAKEN AN IMAGE OF EARTH FROM OUTER SPACE.

AND IT WENT AROUND THE WORLD.

AND I THINK, YOU KNOW, IT WAS KIND OF THIS PROFOUND MOMENT WHERE PEOPLE SAW THIS LITTLE BLUE BALL IN THE DARK VACUUM OF SPACE.

WHAT HE SAYS IN THAT MISSION IS WE WENT TO EXPLORE THE MOON, AND WE DISCOVERED EARTH.

NASA, IN ALL THE EXPLORING THAT IT'S DONE, WHICH IS EXTRAORDINARY, NOT ONLY IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM, BUT OUR GALAXY AND INTO THE DEPTHS OF THE UNIVERSE, WE'VE NEVER FOUND A PLANET LIKE EARTH YET, AND WE'VE NEVER FOUND LIFE.

SO WHAT WE KNOW IS THAT THIS PLANET IS PRETTY EXTRAORDINARY AND PRETTY UNIQUE.

WE'RE CHANGING IT.

SO WHAT NASA HAS DONE IS WITH THE INSTRUMENTS THAT IT CREATED TO LOOK OUTWARD, IT BASICALLY NOW HAS THEM LOOKING BACK TO EARTH.

LET ME ASK YOU ABOUT THAT.

I THINK YOU ILLUSTRATED WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT OUTSIDE LOOKING DOWN, AND IT TEACHES US BOTH THE MAJESTY AND THE FRAGILITY OF THIS PLANET.

WELL SAID.

THE MAGISTERY WE COULD CREATE AN ENVIRONMENT THAT ALLOWS US TO SEND SOMEBODY TO THE MOON AND THE FRAGILITY, THIS THIN LINE THAT ESSENTIALLY PROTECTS US FROM WHAT WOULD BE DESTRUCTION.

YOU TALK ABOUT THIS IN THE FILM.

I DON'T WANT TO GIVE AWAY TOO MUCH OF THE FILM BECAUSE I WANT PEOPLE TO WATCH IT.

THANK YOU.

TALK ABOUT THE ROLE NASA IS PLAYING IN IT.

MOST PEOPLE THINK NASA PROJECTS OUTWARD.

YES.

TELL US ABOUT THE ROLE IT'S PLAYING IN TERMS OF, ALL RIGHT, WE HAVE SOMETHING WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH AND VERY SOON TO PROTECT OURSELVES.

A LOT OF THE RESEARCH WE HAVE ABOUT THIS PLANET AND THE HEALTH OF THIS PLANET COMES FROM NASA.

NASA HAS 19 SATELLITES RIGHT NOW THAT ARE GOING AROUND THE EARTH, AND THEY'RE LOOK AT THE DOMINATING SYSTEMS THAT DETERMINE THE DIRECTION OF OUR PLANET AND THE HEALTH OF OUR PLANET.

SO THEY'RE LOOKING AT THINGS LIKE THE WEATHER, THE ICE MELT, THE POLAR ICE MELT AND HOW THICK THE ICE IS.

THEY'RE LOOKING AT THE OCEANS, HOW WARM THE WATER IS AND HOW MUCH OF THE CORAL IS DYING.

THEY LOOK AT AGRICULTURE TRENDS.

THEY LOOK AT THE AMOUNT OF CARBON THAT'S IN THE ATMOSPHERE.

THE AMOUNT OF METHANES AND GASES, OZONE, OF COURSE, THE STORY OF THE OZONE.

THEY'RE LOOKING AT ALL THESE SYSTEMS.

AND BECAUSE OF THAT THEY'VE BEEN ABLE TO LOOK AT THE EARTH AS A SYSTEM, AS A COMPLETE SYSTEM.

NOW THAT THEY'VE BEEN DOCUMENTING ALL THESE INDIVIDUAL SYSTEMS OVER MANY DECADES, WHAT THEY DO IS THEY GATHER THAT INFORMATION NOT JUST FROM THE SATELLITES, BUT THEY HAVE AIRCRAFT THAT VALIDATE THE FINDINGS OF THE SATELLITES AND THEN THEY HAVE SCIENTISTS WHO ARE ON THE GROUND.

SO I WAS WITH THEM IN ANTARCTICA AND HAWAII.

THEY'RE IN GREENLAND, AFRICA, EVERY CONTINENT.

WITH ALL THAT INFORMATION THEY'VE BEEN GATHERING, THEY THEN GIVE THAT TO SCIENTISTS WHO THEN PUT IT INTO COMPUTER MODELS WHICH THEN GENERATE THE PICTURE THAT WE NOW HAVE.

RECENTLY THE IPCC CAME OUT WITH A REPORT WHICH WAS LARGELY BASED ON NASA DATA SAYING THAT WE HAVE 12 YEARS UNTIL IT'S GOING TO BE TOO LATE, WHERE WE HAVE TO RADICALLY CHANGE THE DIRECTION OF OUR ENTIRE PLANET UNLESS WE'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO RECOVER.

THEY ARE SCREAMING THAT WE NEED TO DO THIS.

OF COURSE, THE FILM, HAVING SPENT TWO YEARS ON THIS, THAT BECAME VERY EVIDENT TO ME IN TALKING WITH THE SCIENTISTS AT NASA.

I WILL SAY, I HAVE NO IDEA IF THESE SCIENTISTS ARE DEMOCRATS OR REPUBLICANS.

ALL I KNOW IS THEY'RE SCIENTISTS AND THEY ARE COMING OUT WITH INFORMATION THAT IS DEEPLY CONCERNING.

THEY HAVE NO AGENDA OTHER THAN TO PROVIDE THAT INFORMATION AND THEY ARE THEMSELVES DEEPLY CONC CONCERNED.

THAT'S WHERE NASA STOPS.

THEY PROVIDE THE INFORMATION TO US.

THEY CAN'T FIX IT.

THEY CAN TELL US WHAT IT IS.

AND TO OUR LEGISLATORS.

IT'S UP TO THE LEGISLATORS TO CHANGE THE POLICY.

I'M NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO SIT HERE WITHOUT REMINDING PEOPLE TO VOTE ON NOVEMBER 6 AND LOOK AT WHAT THEIR LEGISLATORS ARE SUPPORTING IN TERMS OF CLIMATE CHANGE AND TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE ON BOARD WITH CHANGING THE DIRECTION OF OUR WORLD.

OTHERWISE OUR KIDS ARE GOING TO HAVE A REALLY HARD TIME.

IT'S NOT OUR KIDS' KIDS, IT'S OUR KIDS.

A MARVELOUS FILM, GREAT FILMMAKING.

VISUALLY BREATHTAKING.

GREAT WORK.

SO GREAT TO TALK TO YOU.

SO GREAT TALKING TO YOU.

YOU BE WELL.

YOU CAN WATCH 'ABOVE AND BEYOND: NASA'S JOURNEY TO TOMORROW,' DEBUTS SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13th AT 9:00 P.M.

> DRAGON, SMACK, DOPE, WHATEVER YOU CALL IT, HEROINS HAS MADE A BIG COMEBACK AND THE CONSEQUENCES HAVE BEEN FATAL.

ACCORDING TO THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT, IN THE LAST TWO YEARS, NEW YORK CITY ALONE, 72% OF ALL OVERDOSE DEATHS INVOLVE HEROIN.

FOR THE PAST SIX YEARS, OVERDOSE DEATHS HAVE BEEN ON THE RISE DRAMATICALLY.

NEXT WEEK 'METROFOCUS' AND PBS STATIONS ARE TEAMING ARE WITH ALCOHOLISM AND SUBSTANCE ABUSER VISS TO BRING AWARENESS AND HOPEFULLY AN END TO THIS ON GOING SCOURGE.

BEFORE THAT, A PREVIEW OF SORTS AND A CAUTIONARY TALE THAT IS ALMOST TOO INCREDIBLE TO BELIEVE.

FEDERAL PROSECUTOR ANDREW McKENNA BECAME A FEDERAL PRISONER WHEN HE GOT LOST IN HEROIN ADDICTION AND WOUND UP BEHIND BARS ALONG WITH MANY THAT HE CONVICTED.

HE CHRONICLED IT IT IN HIS BOOK 'SHEAR MADNESS.'

ANDREW, THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

A GREAT PLEASURE.

THANKS FOR HAVING ME.

WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE FIRST PART OF YOUR RESUME, MILITARY, JAG OFFICER, FEDERAL PRO CAN YOU TELLER.

IMPRESSIVE GUY.

MEETING YOU, THAT REENFORCES THAT.

THEN FURTHER DOWN THE RESUME, FEDERAL PRISONER.

HOW DID YOU GET THERE?

PAUL GRANDO WHO WRITES FOR A PAPER IN ALBANY, HE HAD A GREAT LINE THAT SAID HEROIN DOESN'T READ RESUMES.

FOR ME I HAD THIS MASSIVE FALL FROM GRACE.

AND THERE'S SEVERAL REASONS WHY.

IT TOOK A LONG TIME TO FIGURE THESE THINGS OUT.

A LOT OF TIMES SITTING IN GROUP THERAPY, A LOT OF TIME IN INDIVIDUAL COUNSELING.

WHAT HAPPENS WAS I STARTED DABBLING IN PRESCRIPTION PAIN MEDICINE FOLLOWING AN INJURY IN THE MARINE CORPS.

I PRETTY MUCH COULD HAVE TREATED IT WITH MOTRIN AND HEATING PADS AND ICE AND THAT KIND OF THING, BUT I CAME TO ENJOY THE FEELING, THE EUPHORIA OF THE OPIATE.

NATURALLY I HAVE AN ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY.

IT'S SOMETHING I ALWAYS HAD TO KEEP AN EYE ON.

DID YOU REALIZE THAT BACK THEN?

IS THIS SOMETHING THAT BECAME CLEAR TO YOU IN RETROSPECT?

YOU KNOW, I DID KNOW.

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT SOMETHING LIKE OPIATES COULD SEND ME DOWN A PATH THAT I NEVER COULD HAVE IMAG IMAGINED, RIGHT?

THAT WAS A GAME-CHANGER FOR ME.

DABBLING IN MARIJUANA AND BEER AND STUFF LIKE THAT AS A TEENAGER, OKAY, THAT'S ONE TLING.

I DON'T CONDONE IT.

I HAVE STEPDAUGHTERS, I DON'T CONDONE IT.

BUT THE OPIATES GRAB YOU IN A WAY LIKE NO OTHER DRUG CAN.

NOT ONLY IS IT THE PSYCHOLOGICAL ADDICTION ASPECT OF IT, BUT THE PHYSICAL ADDICTION.

WHEN YOU RUN OUT OF OPIATES, YOU FEEL ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE.

I'M NOT JUST TALKING ABOUT LORTAB AND HYDROCODONE, OXYCODONE.

IF YOU GET INTO OXYCONTIN WHICH IS WHAT I DID EVENTUALLY, THAT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BALL GAME.

DID ANYBODY SEE THIS HAPPENING WITH YOU?

DID ANYBODY GRAB YOU AND PULL YOU ASIDE AND SAY HEY, ANDREW, MAN, YOU'VE GOT TO SLOW DOWN HERE?

WHAT WAS HAPPENING -- I WAS FUNCTIONING AT A VERY, VERY HIGH LEVEL WHICH I READ ABOUT IN THE BOOK.

I WAS LEADING LARGELY A DOUBLE LIFE.

BUT AS WE KNOW THROUGH ADDICTION COUNSELORS AND THROUGH COMMON SENSE, THAT'S REALLY -- LIVING THAT LIFESTYLE IS A HOUSE OF CARDS.

IT'S EVENTUALLY GOING TO COME DOWN, AND IT DID FOR ME.

I ENDED UP GOING THROUGH A DIFFICULT CUSTODY BATTLE.

AFTER I LEFT THE JUSTICE DEPARTMENT WE MOVED BACK TO ALBANY, NEW YORK.

I HAD TWO YOUNG SONS.

I HAD A DECENT JOB, BUT THE WHEELS WERE COMING OFF THE BUS, AND I COULDN'T FIND A DOCTOR IN NEW YORK TO PRESCRIBE OPIATES AT THE LEVEL THAT I WAS SORT OF ADDICTED TO.

SO I WENT TO THE STREET DRUG DEALERS BASICALLY THROUGH AN OLD ACQUAINTANCE AND FOUND OXYCONTIN FOR THE FIRST TIME.

THAT WAS JUST A GAME-CHANGER.

I REMEMBER SITTING IN AN OFFICE POURING DOWN SWEAT, ON THE VERGE OF VOMITING IN MY WASTE BASKET BECAUSE I COULDN'T GET ANYMORE OXYCONTIN, AND EVENTUALLY I TURNED TO HEROIN.

IT'S A COMMON STORY.

IT'S A TRAGIC STORY BECAUSE I WAS ABLE TO PULL OUT OF IT, BUT NOT UNTIL I DID 65 MONTHS IN FEDERAL PRISON FOR BANK ROBBERIES.

LET ME TALK ABOUT THAT.

SURE.

IT'S A FASCINATING BOOK.

I WANT PEOPLE TO READ IT.

YOU'RE VERY OPEN AND CANDID.

BEFORE YOU SAID THAT, PEOPLE WERE PROBABLY WATCHING US AND LISTENING SAYING, HERE IS A GUY WHO HAD A GREAT FUTURE AND GREAT TALENT, GOT INVOLVED IN THIS HEROIN, PROBABLY LOST HIS JOB, MAYBE EVEN FALSIFIED SOME PRESCRIPTIONS.

YOU GOT INVOLVED IN BANK ROBBERY.

RIGHT.

AND THIS IS WHERE THE PAGE SORT OF TURNS, WHERE MY STORY IS DIFFERENT FROM THE GUY WHO JUST GETS ADDICTED AND GOES TO REHAB AND GETS BETTER OR DOESN'T GET BETTER.

I WENT THROUGH, AS I MENTIONED, A BAD CUSTODY BATTLE.

CONTINUOUS SETBACKS AND I FELL INTO A DEEP, DEEP DEPRESSION.

THE SETBACKS THAT I GOT IN FAMILY COURT WERE 99% MY FAULT BUT I COULDN'T SEE THEM, AND IT BROKE MY HEART.

SO DURING A PERIOD OF ANGER ON MY WAY TO FAMILY COURT, INSTEAD OF GOING TO FAMILY COURT WHERE I KNEW I WOULD GET ANOTHER SETBACK, MAYBE GET TO SEE THEM ONCE EVERY TWO MONTHS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, I DROVE NORTH AND I ROBBED A BANK.

LET ME STOP YOU.

I DROVE NORTH AND I ROBBED A BANK.

RIGHT.

HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN.

YOU WHO WERE A JAG OFFICER, A FEDERAL PROSECUTOR, A SMART GUY, A PERSONAL GUY, WHAT MAKES YOU SAY I'M GOING TO GO ROB A BANK?

THERE'S SOME DISCONNECT IN MY MIND.

IT'S SO DIFFICULT FOR ME TO EXPLAIN IT.

I NEEDED MONEY, CLEARLY, BUT THERE WERE OTHER OPTIONS.

I'M NOT A SOCIOPATH.

I'M NOT CLINICALLY INSANE ORDER RANGED, SO I DON'T KNOW.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I PASSED THAT EXIT AND SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SARATOGA FAMILY COURT AND INSTEAD DROVE TO LAKE GEORGE.

BUT SOMETHING CLICKED IN MY MIND OR DIDN'T CLICK IN MY MIND.

THE MEMORY IS BOTH VIVID AND BLURRY AT THE SAME TIME.

IS IT ALMOST LIKE WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, YOU'RE WATCHING A MOVIE?

IS IT SOMEBODY ELSE YOU SEE DOING THIS?

THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT.

IT'S ALMOST LIKE, IT'S THAT WEIRD FILTER ON A CAMERA WHERE THE COLORS ARE JUST OFF A LITTLE BIT, AND THAT'S MY MEMORY OF IT.

AND IT WAS ALMOST LIKE I WAS IN A TRANCE-LIKE STATE.

I TRAVEL THE COUNTRY NOW TALKING TO DIFFERENT GROUPS.

I TALK ABOUT, YOU KNOW, THE DANGERS OF PRESCRIPTION DRUG USE.

NOT USE, BUT ABUSE, BUT HOW THAT USE CAN TURN TO ABUSE AND ULTIMATELY CAN LEAD TO HEROIN OR MORE DANGEROUS THINGS.

BUT ONE OF THE THINGS I TALK ABOUT IS THAT POINT OF ME GOING PAST MY FAMILY COURT HEARING AND DOING WHAT I DID.

THE MESSAGE IS SORT OF LIKE BE AWARE, BE SUPER SELF-AWARE OF WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH IN YOUR LIFE.

TALK TO PEOPLE.

ASK FOR HELP BECAUSE HELP IS THERE.

AND THE STUDENTS ARE RECEPTIVE TO IT.

AFTER I SPEAK FOR 40 MINUTES, WE GO ON FOR 30 MINUTES OF Q&A.

THE BOOK IS CALLED 'SHEAR MADNESS: FROM FEDERAL PROSECUTOR TO FEDERAL PRISONER.'

A HARROWING LIFE STORY.

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE ON THE WAY TO A GOOD ENDING.

IF I CAN HELP OTHERS, THEREIN LIES THE REDEMPTION.

ANDREW McKENNA, THANK YOU.

THANK YOU.

'METROFOCUS' IS MADE POSSIBLE BY JAMES AND MERRYL TISCH, SUE AND EDGAR WACHENHEIM, III, BERNARD AND IRENE SCHWARTZ, ROSALIND P.

WALTER, BARBARA HOPE ZUCKERBERG AND BY --

Funders

MetroFocus is made possible by James and Merryl Tisch, Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Sylvia A. and Simon B. Poyta Programming Endowment to Fight Anti-Semitism, Bernard and Irene Schwartz, Rosalind P. Walter, Barbara Hope Zuckerberg, Jody and John Arnhold, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Family, Janet Prindle Seidler, Judy and Josh Weston and the Dr. Robert C. and Tina Sohn Foundation.

WNET

© WNET All Rights Reserved.

825 Eighth Avenue

New York, NY 10019