TONIGHT ON METROFOCUS

Sexual assaults on our subways are on the rise. New York State Sen. Diane Savino joins us to share the startling statistics and a plan to combat these crimes. We explore how radical plans for reconstruction on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway and the Brooklyn Heights Promenade might displace homeworkers. Who was “The Woman in the Iron Coffin?” A new episode of PBS’ “Secrets of the Dead” reveals the answer. We have a preview. Lady Liberty’s torch may be lifted and lit but is her golden door shut to the masses? We discuss immigration during the Trump presidency.

Aired on October 2, 2018.

TRANSCRIPT

> TONIGHT ON METRO FOCUS, REPORTS OF SUBWAY SEX ASSAULTS ON THE RISE.

STATE SENATOR DIANE SILINA HAS A PLAN TO FIGHT THE CRIME.

THE BQU AND THE PROM GNAWED.

WE'LL LOOK AT THE PLANS TO FIX THEM THAT COULD DISPLACE HOMEOWNERS.

> WHO WAS THE WOMAN IN THE IRON COFFIN.

AN EPISODE OF SECRETS OF THE DEAD REVEALS THAT ANSWER AND MORE.

WE HAVE A PREVIEW.

> IMMIGRATION IN THE AGE OF TRUMP.

AN IMPORTANT AND TIMELY CONVERSATION ON THIS CRITICAL ISSUE JUST AHEAD.

> THOSE STORIES AND MORE AS METRO FOCUS STARTS RIGHT NOW.

> THIS IS METRO FOCUS WITH RAPHAEL PI ROMAN AND JACK FORD AND JENNA FLANAGAN.

METRO FORD IS MADE POSSIBLE BY JAMES -- SUE AND EDGAR THE THIRD AND BERNARD AND ROSALIND P.

WALTER.

BARBARA HOPE ZUCKERBERG AND BY -- CORPORATE FUNDING FOR METRO FOCUS PROVIDED BY MUTUAL OF AMERICA, YOUR RETIREMENT COMPANY.

> AND BY PSE AND G. SERVING CUSTOMERS, STRENGTHENING THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY AND INVESTING IN THE FUTURE.

> GOOD EVENING, AND WELCOME TO METRO FOCUS.

I'M RAPHAEL PI ROMAN.

RECENT NUMBERS SHOWS SEX ASSAULTS ON NEW YORK CITY SUBWAYS ARE ON THE RISE FOR THE 4th YEAR IN A ROW.

ACCORDING TO NYPD STATISTICS, POLICE RECEIVED 21,000 REPORTS IN THE TRANSIT AND 9% FROM THE PREVIOUS YEAR AND THE NUMBER OF INCIDENTS IN 2016 WERE UP 28%. THE NYPD HAVE A ATTRIBUTED -- ATTRIBUTED THOSE RISING NUMBERS TO VICTIMS CHOOSING TO COME FORWARD THANKS IN PART TO A WEBSITE LAUNCHED IN 2014.

SAFETY ADVOCATES SAY MORE NEED TO BE DONE TO PREVENT THE ASSAULTS FROM HAPPENING IN THE FIRST PLACE.

STATE SENATOR DIANE SIVINA WHO REPRESENTS STATEN ISLAND -- SHE JOINS US, SENATOR WELCOME BACK TO THE PROGRAM.

THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

SENATOR, WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT WHEN WE TALK ABOUT SUBWAY SEX CRIMES?

ANYONE WHO HAVE RIDDEN THE SUBWAY OR A GENTLEMAN WHO HAVE BEEN ON THE SUBWAY HAVE SEX CRIMES OCCURRING FROM THOSE WHO EXPOSE THEMSELVES TO MASTURBATING IN PUBLIC OR SEEING SOMEONE GROPE ON A CROWDED SUBWAY TRAIN AND POLICE REFER TO THEM AS SUBWAY GRINDERS.

THEY SIDE UP BEHIND YOUNG WOMEN AND PRETENDING THEY'RE HOLDING TO THE BAR AND THEY GRIND INTO THEM FOR THEIR PERVERTED PLEASURE.

LAST YEAR, YOUR HOUSE RELEASED COMPREHENSIVE REPORT ON SUBWAY SEX CRIMES ENTITLED PERVERTED GRINDERS AND HOW SUBWAY GRINDERS VICTIMIZE NEW YORKERS.

WHAT DID THAT REPORT FIND?

IN THE FIVE YEAR PERIOD FROM 2012 AND 2017, THEY HAD BEEN 3200 REPORTED COMPLAINTS OF SUBWAY SEXUAL ASSAULT.

AND AGAIN, THEY RUN THE MONDAYED TO FORCIBLE TOUCHABLE.

WE HAVE SEEN A 52% INCREASE IN THE REPORT OF SUBWAY SEX CRIMES AND YOU MADE REFERENCE TO THE MTA'S COOPERATION WITH THE NYPD AND THOSE WHO WERE TRYING TO CHANGE THE POLICY.

THEY CREATED A DATA BASE WHERE YOU COULD REPORT IT.

ONE OF THE THINGS THAT HELPS US NOW, CATCH SOME OF THESE PREDATORS AND THEY ARE PREDATORS IS THE RISE OF CELL PHONES, YOU KNOW.

WHEN I WAS A YOUNG GIRL, I DIDN'T HAVE A CELL PHONE TO TAKE PICTURES OF SOME OF THE HORRIBLE THINGS I SAW ON THE TRAIN, BUT PEOPLE NOW DO AND THEY'RE HELPING THE POLICE ACTUALLY CAPTURE SOME OF THESE INDIVIDUALS.

AND HERE'S WHERE THE REAL PROBLEM IS, RAPHAEL.

MANY HAVE BEEN ARRESTED MULTIPLE TILE FOR THE SAME TYPE OF BEHAVIOR BUT BECAUSE THE PENALTIES ARE SO MINUSCULE, THERE'S NO DETERRENT FOR THEM NOT GOING ON THE SUBWAY AND PRACTICING THIS BEHAVIOR.

WE NEED TO INCREASE THE PENALTIES AND ELEVATE THE CRIME.

WE'LL GET TO THAT.

TO CLARIFY, DO YOU AGREE WITH THE NYPD THAT THE NUMBERS ARE RISING NOT BECAUSE THERE'S MORE ACTS BUT RATHER BECAUSE MORE ACTS HAVE BEEN REPORTED?

IT'S HARD TO SAY.

WE'RE HAPPY THAT PEOPLE ARE REPORTING IT.

YEARS AGO PEOPLE WOULD HAVE GONE HOME AND BEEN DISGUSTED ABOUT IT BUT NOW THEY'RE SEEING THAT THE NYPD WANTS PEOPLE TO REPORT THE CRIME AND SOMETHING WILL BE DONE IF YOU REPORT THE CRIME, SO I THINK IT'S A LITTLE BIT OF WHICH CAME FIRST, THE CHICKEN OR EGG.

DO WE HAVE ANY IDEA OR SENSE HOW MANY CRIMES ARE NOT REPORTED, THE RATIO BETWEEN THOSE REPORTED AND NOT?

UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN FORCIBLY TOUCHED OR SOMEONE LEFT THEIR DNA ON YOU, YOU MAY LEAVE IT AS RIDING THE SUBWAY SYSTEM.

WHAT WE'RE SAYING TO YOUNG WOMEN, THIS IS NOT.

THIS ISN'T SOMETHING YOU SHOULD ENCOUNTER AND ACCEPT AS YOUR DAILY COMMUTE.

YOU TALKED ABOUT CELL PHONES MAKE ARRESTS EASIER.

ARE THE ARRESTS GOING UP?

THEY ARE, BUT THE CRIME IS ALMOST -- IN MANY TIMES IT'S A MISDEMEANOR, SO YOU'RE NOT GETTING JUSTICE AGAINST THESE INDIVIDUALS AND THEY'RE RETURNING TO THE SUBWAY SYSTEM AND ENGAGING IN THE SAME BEHAVIOR.

LET'S TALK ABOUT YOUR LEGISLATION.

WHAT WOULD THAT LEGISLATION AND WHAT SPECIFIC WAYS WILL THE PENALTIES GET TOUGHER?

FIRST OF ALL, THE LEGISLATION -- AT THE REQUEST OF THE NEW YORK STATE COURT OF APPEALS WHICH IS OUR HIGHEST COURT AND THEY FOUND IN THE CASE CALLED THE PEOPLE VERSES MACK, THAT THERE WAS AN INDIVIDUAL OF 300 POUND MAN WHO HAD ENGAGED IN REPEATED SEXUAL OFFENSES ON SUBWAY AND HE GOT AWAY WITH IT FOR YEARS UNTIL HIS DNA WAS ENTERED INTO THE DATA BASE.

THAT MATCHED QUITE A NUMBER OF VICTIMS.

THERE WAS YOUNG GIRL, SHE WAS 16-YEAR-OLD, HE GROUNDED UPON HER ON THE TRAIN.

HE LEFT BEHIND SEMEN ON HER CLOTHES BUT THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY WANTED TO PROSECUTE THIS AS A SERIOUS SEX CRIME, BUT THE LAW DID NOT ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN.

IT WAS JUST A MISDEMEANOR UNDER THE LAW, SO THE NEW YORK STATE COURT OF APPEALS SAID THE REMEDY FOR THIS YOUNG WOMAN AND THOUSANDS OF OTHER YOUNG PEOPLE ON THE SUBWAY IS THE LEGISLATION NEEDS TO ACT.

THEY NEED TO ELEVATE THE PENALTY, AND INCREASE THE CRIME TO REFLECT OF SEVERITY OF WHAT'S HAPPENING.

MY LAW WOULD TAKE WHAT'S CONSIDERED A MISDEMEANOR WHICH A MISDEMEANOR UNDER THE LAW IF YOU WERE CONVICTED, THE MAXIMUM TIME YOU COULD SPEND IN JAIL IS ONE YEAR AND A $1,000 FINE.

VERY FEW PEOPLE ARE EVER INCARCERATED FOR THESE TYPES OF OFFENSES.

IT WOULD ELEVATE THE PENALTY TO A CLASS D FELONY WHICH WOULD MAKE IT 7 YEARS IN JAIL AND UP TO A $5,000 FINE.

WHAT'S THE STATUS OF THE LEGISLATION?

THE SENATE PASSED THIS BILL EVERY YEAR SINCE I INTRODUCED IT IN 2013 AND THE NEW YORK STATE ASSEMBLY REFUSED TO TAKE THE BILL UP.

WHY?

YOU HAVE TO ASK THEM THAT.

WHAT DO THEY SAY?

THEY DON'T LIKE TO CREATE NEW CRIMES.

AND THEY THINK THAT THE PENALTIES AS THEY CURRENTLY EXIST ARE SUFFICIENT TO DETER PEOPLE FROM DOING THIS.

CLEARLY NOT.

CLEARLY THEY'RE NOT.

THERE'S ONE CRITIC WHO HAS WRITTEN ABOUT THIS, AND HE SEEMS TO BELIEVE THAT MAKING THE PENALTIES TOUGHER WOULD MAKE INNOCENT PEOPLE MORE LIABLE TO GET ARRESTED WRONGLY.

WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT?

INNOCENT PEOPLE DON'T EXPOSE THEMSELVES ON THE SUBWAY.

INNOCENT PEOPLE DON'T EJACULATE ON HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS TRYING TO GET TO SCHOOL.

INNOCENT PEOPLE DON'T DO THOSE THINGS SO I'M NOT SURE WHO HE THINKS IS GOING TO GET CAUGHT UP IN THIS, BUT I DISAGREE WITH HIM.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE CORRELATION WOULD BE.

I DON'T KNOW.

AND SO DO THE 3200 VICTIMS.

ANYTHING ELSE THAT CAN BE DONE TO REDUCE THESE NUMBER OF INCIDENTS?

PUBLIC AWARENESS HAS HELPED.

AGAIN, THE MTA -- THEY'RE RAISING THE AWARENESS AND LETTING PEOPLE KNOW THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR, AND IF YOU SEE IT, YOU SHOULDN'T JUST ASSUME THAT THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO PUT UP ON THE SUBWAY.

I THINK THAT'S HELPING, I THINK WE NEED TO DO MORE OF THAT.

YOUR LEGISLATION, THE NEXT SESSION, DO YOU THINK IT'S GOING TO PASS?

IT WILL PASS IN THE SENATE.

THAT'S ALL YOU CAN SAY.

WE'LL HAVE TO END IT THERE.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US TO TALK ABOUT THIS SERIOUS ISSUE.

THANK YOU, RAPHAEL.

> NEW YORKERS ARE BRACING FOR THE SHUTDOWN OF THE L. TRAIN WHICH WILL BE AN EPIC IN COMMUNIONS AND IF THAT WASN'T ENOUGH OF A TRANSIT NIGHTMARE, THERE'S ANOTHER REPAIR PROJECT LOOMING EXAMINE IT'S GOING TO HURT DEEPLY.

GET READY FOR THE BROOKLYN QUEENS EXPRESSWAY REPAIR.

-- THE CITY WOULD HAVE TO INSTITUTE WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS AND DIVERT TRUCKS ACCORDING TO THE CITY DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATIONS AND SOME CAN BE ASTOUNDING AND WE HAVE TRANSIT REPORTER VINCENT BARON.

IT'S NICE TO BE HERE.

YOU'RE A NICE GUY TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH --

I'M THE BEARER OF BAD NEWS.

WHAT SORT OF PROBLEMS ARE OUT THERE THAT ARE PROMPTING THIS NOTION OF WE NEED TO DO REPAIRS AND DO THEM SOON?

THIS IS A ROBERT MOSES ERA HIGHWAY BUILT IN THE 1940s, 1950s, AND BASICALLY, IT WAS BUILT POORLY AND SUBSTANDARD FASHION AND IT'S AT A TIME WHERE THIS C HAS BEEN DOING PATCH WORK REPAIRS OVER THE YEARS BUT THAT'S NOT SUSTAINABLE ANYMORE.

AND A COMPLETE OVERHAUL IS NECESSARY

I INTRODUCTION -- THE WEIGHT BEARING COMES WITH HEAVY DUTY.

IT'S APPARENT AFTER THE YEARS OF PIECE MILL REPAIRS.

BUT YEAH YOU'RE RIGHT.

THERE'S A REAL -- TICKING TIME BOMB WHERE YOU NEED TO GET THIS WORK DONE QUICKLY BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO TAKE YEARS TO DO AND IF IT'S NOT DONE BY 2026, YOU'RE GOING TO START SEEING TRUCK TRAFFIC DIVERTED OFF THE HIGHWAY INTO LOCAL BROOKLYN STREETS.

I'M SURE THE LOCAL NEIGHBORHOODS WOULD NOT BE THRILLED ABOUT THAT.

NOT AT ALL.

LET'S TALK ABOUT THE PROPOSALS.

WHAT ARE THEY LOOKING AT TO REMEDY THIS PROBLEM?

LIKE THE L-TRAIN SHUTDOWN, THE CITY PITCHED TWO PROPOSALS.

THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY CALL AN INNOVATIVE REPAIR WHICH WOULD REQUIRE BUILDING A TEMPORARILY ELEVATED HIGHWAY.

AT THE BROOKLYN HEIGHTS PROMENADE LEVEL AND THAT WOULD SERVE AS THE STRUCTURE -- THE HIGHWAY FOR ON TRAFFIC IN BOTH DIRECTIONS.

IT'S A SIX-LANE HIGHWAY AND WHILE THAT STRUCTURE IS IN USE UNDERNEATH IT, THE DOT WILL BE MAKING THE REPAIRS TO THE EXISTING STRUCTURE.

AND THEN THE SECOND OPTION WOULD BE MORE OF A TRADITIONAL APPROACH, WHICH WOULD BE LANE BY LANE REPAIRS, TRAFFIC WOULD STILL BE MOVING BUT THEY'RE BE RESTRICTIONS AND WEEKEND CLOSURES AND OVERNIGHT CLOSURES, YEAH.

THOSE -- THOSE ARE THE TWO OPTIONS BEING WEIGHED RIGHT NOW.

ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT THE LENGTH OF THE BQE OR SPECIFIC AREAS THAT THEY'RE FOCUSING ON?

YEAH.

NO.

WE SHOULD CLARIFY.

IT'S A ONE AND A HALF MILE STRETCH OF THE BQE AROUND BROOKLYN HEIGHTS AREA FROM ATLANTIC AVENUE TO SAND STREET.

OKAY.

I THINK -- I HAVEN'T -- I DON'T DRIVE THAT FREQUENTLY BUT IN THE TIMES I HAVE, IT SEEMS LIKE IT'S A TRAFFIC PROBLEM THERE.

THERE'S MORE THAN 150 CARS USING THE BQE EVERYDAY.

IT'S A LOOKED-- IT'S AN LOAVED HIGHWAY.

IT'S DETESTED.

YOU TALK ABOUT THE PROPOSALS, BUT THERE'S SOME OTHER IDEAS AND ONE I FOUND CURIOUS AND IT HAS TO DO WITH THE IDEA OF GREEN SPACE.

TALK ABOUT THAT.

RIGHT.

AS YOU KNOW AND AS MOST NEW YORKERS KNOW, THE HIGHWAY IS CLOSE TO -- IN THAT AREA TO THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE PARK.

IT'S A GREAT SCENIC AREA.

IT'S GREAT AND THE PROMENADE ITSELF HAS SUCH SCENIC VIEWS, BUT THERE'S SOME CITIES AROUND THE WORLD FROM SEOUL TO SAN FRANCISCO THAT ARE LOOKING FOR WAYS TO RE-IMAGINE THEIR HIGHWAYS AND MORE PEOPLE ARE MOVING TO CITIES AND WE'RE NOT BEGINNING TO THE SUBURBS SO THERE'S SOME PROJECTS WHERE HIGHWAYS ARE BEING SHRUNKEN INTO BOULEVARDS OR TURNED INTO PARK SPACE, AND THAT'S SOMETHING I THINK A LOT OF URBANIST IN NEW YORK CITY WOULD LIKE TO SEE TO THE BQE BUT THE CITY SAYS THAT IT'S SO DEPENDENT ON THE FREIGHT DELIVERY BY TRUCKS, AND THAT THE BQE IS A VITAL CORRIDOR FROM STATEN ISLAND TO QUEENS THAT NOTHING LIKE THAT COULD HAPPEN HERE.

BUT THE CITY HAS LOOKED AT OTHER OPTIONS TOO LIKE BUILDING MAYBE A NEW TUNNEL UNDER BROOKLYN, BUT THAT SEEMS INFEASIBLE BECAUSE OF THE -- THERE'S SUBWAY TUNNELS RUNNING UNDER BROOKLYN AND IT'S THE OLD INFRASTRUCTURE AND IT WOULD BE EXPENSIVE.

IT SOUNDS LIKE A DYER POSSIBILITY TO HAVE ALL THAT GREEN SPACE LOOKING OVER THE WATER, BUT AGAIN IF YOU MAKE YOUR LIVING DRIVING A TRUCK OR YOU DEPEND UPON PEOPLE DRIVING TRUCKS, YOU SAY IT DOESN'T WORK FOR US.

WE'LL WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

VINCENT IT'S HELPFUL WHEN WE GET A CHANCE TO TALK TO YOU.

TAKE CARE.

THANKS SO MUCH.

> ON OCTOBER 4th 2011, CONSTRUCTION WORKERS UNCOVERED HUMAN REMAINS WHILE EXCAVATING AN ABANDONED LOT AND THE BODY THEY DISCOVERED WAS PRESERVED THAT THE FIRST RESPONDERS BELIEVED THEY STUMBLED UPON A RECENT HOMICIDE.

FORENSIC OWE-- THE REMAINS BELONGED TO AN AFRICAN MAN WHO DIED IN THE FIRST CENTURY -- WHO WAS SHE?

SECRETS OF THE DEAD, THE WOMAN IN THE IRON COFFIN FOLLOWS FORENSIC ATOLOGY AND A TEAM OF SCIENTIST AS THEY INVESTIGATE THIS WOMAN STORY AND THE TIME WHERE SHE LIVED.

HERE'S A LOOK.

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE.

I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE.

WE'VE SEEN X-RAYS, WE'VE SEEN CT SCANS, BUT THIS IS A 3D VERSION OF THIS WOMAN.

THE ORIGINAL CT SCANS JERRY MADE THE WOMAN HAD BEEN LOADED INTO A PIECE OF GROUND BREAKING SOFTWARE.

IT ALLOWS FOR A VIRTUAL AUTOPSY OF THE BODY.

UNLOCKING THE SECRETS CONTAINED WITHIN WITHOUT MAKING A SINGLE INCISION.

NORMALLY I'M LOOKING AT SECTIONS OR REGIONS OF THE BODY, BUT THIS THING, LETS ME SEE THE ENTIRE BODY AND I CAN SPIN IT AND ROLL IT, AND GO INTO IT AND COME OUT OF IT.

THIS IS THE WAY I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO LOOK AT A BODY BEFORE.

FORENSIC ARCHEOLOGIST SCOTT.

WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM.

THANK YOU, RAPHAEL.

HOW DID YOU GET INVOLVED WITH THE WOMAN IN THE IRON COFFIN?

SINCE IT WAS REPORTED AS A POTENTIAL CRIME SCENE, I WAS SENT OUT WITH A SMALL TEAM TO INVESTIGATE.

MY SKILL SET AS AN ARCHEOLOGIST -- BURIED BODIES AND CERTAIN CRIME SCENES THAT REGULAR CRIME SCENES --

SO THEY CALL YOU WHEN THIS KIND OF THING --

RIGHT.

YOU WERE ABLE TO DISCOVER HER AGE AND WHAT GEOGRAPHIC AREA SHE CAME FROM, CORRECT?

CORRECT.

THAT LED TO OTHER DISCOVERS, CORRECT?

THERE WAS A LOT OF DIFFERENT THINGS COMING TOGETHER TO FIGURE OUT THE IDENTITY OF THE WOMAN.

STARTING WITH THE BIOLOGICAL PROFILE WHICH IS A FORENSIC TECHNIC OF STARTING A COLD CASE OF IDENTIFYING SOMEONE.

YOU IDENTIFY THEIR AGE AND SEX AND STATURE.

SO THE BIOLOGICAL PROFILE BASICALLY PUT HER AGE RANGE BETWEEN 25 AND 35-YEAR-OLD.

SO THAT WAS A GOOD START OF WHERE TO BEGIN THE INVESTIGATION PROCESS FOR IDENTIFICATION.

YOUR DETECTIVE WORK LED YOU TO ACTUALLY -- WE WON'T GIVE IT AWAY, TO ACTUALLY IDENTIFY, YOU THINK, PRETTY CLEARLY, IDENTIFY WHO THIS PERSON WAS.

SURE.

THE HISTORICAL RECORDS DOESN'T HAVE A DEATH CERTIFICATE OR OBITUARY FOR THIS WOMAN OR PROBABLY ANYBODY WHEN HER GENERATION, IF NOT EARLIER OR LATER, HOWEVER, CERTAIN HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS REALLY TRIANGULATE TOGETHER TO PUT TOGETHER THIS WOMAN OUT OF A POSSIBILITY OF ABOUT 30 OTHER WOMEN THAT FIT THAT PROFILE, THAT LIVED DURING THAT TIME PERIOD.

RIGHT.

IT'S AMAZING HOW YOU MAKE THE CONNECTIONS NOT ONLY SCIENTIFICALLY, BUT I MEAN YOU DID THE OLD SHOE LEATHER STUFF AND YOU HAD HER -- KNEW WHERE SHE WAS WORKING AND KNOWING WHERE SHE WORKED WAS IMPORTANT.

I DON'T WANT TO GIVE THAT AWAY.

YOU THINK YOU KNOW WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

HER BODY WAS REALLY GREAT STATE OF PRESERVATION.

HOWEVER, BECAUSE SHE WAS DISCOVERED WITH A BACKHOE THERE WAS A LOT OF SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO HER FACE AND BODY.

WE DID KIND OF ASK A FORENSIC ARTIST TO COME IN AND DO A FACIAL RECONSTRUCTION AND HE WAS ABLE TO DO IT DIGITALLY BY TAKING A CT SCAN OF HER SKULL AND PUTTING THE BONES BACK TOGETHER IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO BUILD THE PROPER FACIAL RECONSTRUCTION FROM THAT.

AND THAT WAS JUST --

THAT'S AMAZING.

WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?

YOU DISCOVERED THAT THIS YOUNG WOMAN BELONGED TO A COMMUNITY WHOSE HEIRS STILL LIVE ON TODAY.

ABSOLUTELY.

AND THE BODY, IN FACT WAS RECONNECTED WITH THAT COMMUNITY.

HOW IMPORTANT WAS THIS DISCOVERY FOR THAT COMMUNITY OF AFRICAN-AMERICANS IN NEW YORK CITY, AND FOR THE REST OF US?

I THINK IT'S ASTOUNDINGLY IMPORTANT BECAUSE HER PHYSICAL PRESENCE BACK AMONG THE LIVING, SHE WAS A GUIDE TO HER TIME PERIOD.

SHE TELLS A PERSONAL STORY ABOUT HER LIFE AND HER PAINFUL DEATH, BUT IT CAN BE EXTRAPOLATED INTO HER LARGER COMMUNITY AND IT'S REPRESENTING A TIME PERIOD AND A POPULATION THAT IS VERY UNDER RECORDED.

THERE'S NOT A LOT OF RECORDS -- WRITTEN RECORDS BUT WE HAVE MORE THAN WRITTEN RECORDS.

WE HAVE FIRSTHAND PERSON THERE, AND THEIR PHYSICAL ACCOUNT OF THEIR LIFE AND TIME.

SO I'VE LEARNED A LOT FROM THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY, BUT THE LARGER WORLD THAT THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY LIVED IN AND WHAT WAS HAPPENING AT THE TIME.

THAT'S IMPORTANT BECAUSE THE -- IT WAS LIKE THE BIG BANG AND WE'RE LIVING IN THOSE ECHOES OF THE TIME OF THOSE DECISIONS.

IT'S FASCINATING.

SCOTT THANK YOU FOR JOINING US TODAY.

THANK YOU.

AND SECRETS OF DEAD, THE WOMAN IN THE IRON COFFIN PREMIERES WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 3rd AT 10:00 P.M.

ON 13.

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTING FOR VIEWING OPPORTUNITIES.

> YOUR TIRED AND POOR AND YOU'RE YEARNING TO BREATHE FREE.

APPOINTANT LINES FROM -- KNOWN AS THE STATUE OF LIBERTY AND -- WELCOMING IMMIGRANTS TO THE SHORES OF AMERICA.

THESE DAYS AS WE KNOW IS A TIME WHEN IMMIGRATION SURROUNDING THAT ARE ONE OF THE MOST CONTENTIOUS ISSUES IN THE COUNTRY.

ON THE FRONT LINES OF THIS CONTENTIOUS SUBJECT IS PROMINENT IMMIGRATION ATTORNEY FORMER INGLEWOOD MAYOR, MICHAEL WHALES AND HE AS PROSECUTOR AND FIRST LADY TRUMP'S -- SAFE HAVEN IN AMERICA BATTLE TO OPEN THE GOLDEN DOOR, EXPLORES HOW AMERICA'S BROKEN IMMIGRATION SYSTEM HAS BECOME A HOT BUTTON SYSTEM.

THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE.

THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

IT'S A COMPELLING READ.

LET'S DO A HISTORY LESSON BECAUSE YOU TALK ABOUT THE FACT THAT THIS IS NOT NEW, AND THIS IS NOT A NEW BURDEN FOR PRESIDENTS TO WRESTLE WITH.

EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN?

SINCE OUR ONBOARDING AS A NATION, PRESIDENTS HAD TO DEAL WITH THE CHALLENGE OF IMMIGRATION.

WE FOUGHT PIRATES IN THE HIGH SEAS AND WE FOUGHT PEOPLE THAT WERE GOING TO CREATE TREASON.

WE FOUGHT ALL SORTS OF CHALLENGES.

WE HAVE STAINS IN OUR HISTORY AS THE JAPANESE AND THE DAYS OF SLAVERY AND SO FORTH AND THERE WAS ALWAYS AN IMMIGRATION ELEMENT TO THE CONCERN.

WE SEE THE TURNING JACK FROM A CONCERN FOR AMERICA'S HOMELAND TO THE [INDISCERNIBLE]. THE VERY DIVERSITY AND THE RICHNESS THAT IMMIGRANTS AND IMMIGRATION WORK, BRINGS TO THE UNITED STATES.

THIS NOTION OF STRUGGLING WITH NUMBERS, HOW MANY COME IN UNDER WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES, AS YOU TALK ABOUT IT, IT'S NOT A NEW PHENOMENON.

IT'S NOT A NEW PHENOMENON AND IT'S A CHALLENGE THAT CONGRESS MET WELL AND WE HAVE LEARNED OUR LESSON.

WE'VE SEEN WHAT THE CHINESE EXCLUSION ACT IN THE 1800s, WHERE THERE WERE THOUSANDS AND ABUNDANCE OF PEOPLE AND NOT ENOUGH WHEN WE NEEDED OUR RAILROAD TRACKS LAID FROM NEW YORK TO CALIFORNIA.

BUT THEN WHEN THE WORK WAS DONE, THEY HAD TO LEGISLATE TO KEEP AMERICAN WORKERS AT BAY BECAUSE THE FOREIGNERS WERE DEEMED TO BE TAKING JOBS FROM AMERICAS.

TELL ME ABOUT THE BOOK BECAUSE IT'S COMPELLING AND IT READS LIKE A THRILLER.

A SERIES, SECTIONS OF CASE STUDIES.

WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO DO IT THAT WAY?

I HAD THE PRIVILEGE OF BEING A SECOND GENERATION IMMIGRATION LAWYER.

MY FATHER REPRESENTED JOHN LENNON IN AN IMMIGRATION CASE.

WE TALKED ABOUT THAT SOME TIME AGO.

THE BITTERLY CONTESTED DEPORTATION CASE IN HISTORY WHEN PRESIDENT NIXON WANTED JOHN L.

THEN -- IMMIGRATION AND GOVERNMENT WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE MESSAGE.

THE WAR ON TERRORISM AND THE DETERIORATION OF AMERICA AS A SAFE HAVEN WAS THE REASONS I AUTHORIZED THIS BOOK.

THERE'S SNAP SHOTS IN THESE CHAPTERS OF PEOPLE WHO STEPPED, THE GENTLEMAN WHO SUBDUED RICHARD REED, THE BOMBER AND -- THAT FILMED LONG SURVIVOR WITH MARK WAHLBERG AND HE PLAYED A NAVY SEAL IN HARM'S WAY AND SCORES OF KGB AGENTS AND WHISTLEBLOWERS AND DIPLOMATS TRAINED BY THE FBI TO SPY AND PROMISED GREEN CARDS AND THEY RECANTED.

THEY ACTUALLY HAD THE PRESENCE OF MIND TO COPY 14,000 DOCUMENTS WALKING INTO OUR OFFICE AND WE THOUGHT BECAUSE OF THE INTELLIGENCE TREASURE TROEFB, THEY WOULD TURN IT OVER TO THE GOVERNMENT AND THE GOVERNMENT WOULD GIVE HIM A GREEN CARD, BUT IT DIDN'T GET THAT WAY AND IT HAS GOTTEN WORSE.

DURING THE COURSE OF HISTORY, AS YOU KNOW, THE PUBLIC HAS LOOKED AT THE NOTION OF IMMIGRATION DIFFERENTLY AT DIFFERENT TIMES.

SOMETIMES WITH AMBIVALENTS AND SOMETIMES WE APPRECIATED IT AND OTHERS TIMES REJECTING THE NOTION.

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE CURRENT FEELING IS IN TERMS OF WHAT YOU SEE IN THE PUBLIC AND WHY?

AMERICA IS A GOLDEN EXPERIMENT AMONG NATIONS.

AND WE CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO GET THIS RIGHT.

WE CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO LOOK AT FOREIGN STUDENTS THAT ARE TRYING TO UNBORN INTO OUR WORK FORCE WHICH IS THE NEXT CITIZEN BECAUSE WE'LL COMPETE AGAINST THEM.

WE CAN'T TURN OUR BACK ON OUR CHILDREN ON OUR -- WE CAN'T AFFORD TO NOT HAVE THE NEXT INVENTION AND THE BEAUTIFUL DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH THAT IMMIGRATION HAS BEEN.

THERE ISN'T THE CARD OF BUSINESS WHETHER IT'S PICKING BLUE BERRIES IN GEORGIA.

IMMIGRATION HASN'T -- THESE STORIES ARE IN THE COPULATION NOT JUST WHAT THE LAW IS, BUT WHAT IT OUGHT TO BE AND THE TURMOIL THIS HAS PLACED WONDERFUL PEOPLE IN AND DESPITE THAT TURMOIL HOW THEY STEPPED UP IN THIS BEAUTIFUL EXPERIMENT AND THE THESIS ULTIMATELY IS THAT AMERICA'S GOLDEN DOORS NEED TO BE HINGED OPEN SO WE CAN SHUT THEM WITH PEOPLE THAT OUGHT TO BE OUT.

I'M A FORMER FEDERAL PROSECUTE ERROR OPEN THEM QUICKLY SO THE NEXT INVENTION, THE NEXT CREATION OR THE NEXT INVESTMENT IN THOSE THAT ARE IMPERIALED WILL BE HERE SO THEY'LL TAKE ARMS IN THE NEXT GENERATION AND THEY'LL MAKE OUR NATION SO MUCH STRONGER.

MICHAEL, AS I SAID TO YOU, IT'S A VERY COMPELLING READ HERE.

THE FACT THAT YOU'VE APPROACHED IT THIS WAY BY PICKING OUT STORIES AS I SAID IN THE VERY BEGINNING, IT MAKES IT READ LIKE A THRILLER.

IT'S GOOD TO HAVE YOU WITH US.

IT'S A SAFE HAVEN IN AMERICA, BATTLES TO OPEN THE GOLDEN DOOR.

YOU'LL HAVE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT IT.

THANK YOU.

> METRO FOCUS IS MADE POSSIBLE BY JAMES AND MERRILL TISH AND SUE AND EDGAR, AND BERNARD AND IRENE -- AND BY --

Funders

MetroFocus is made possible by James and Merryl Tisch, Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Sylvia A. and Simon B. Poyta Programming Endowment to Fight Anti-Semitism, Bernard and Irene Schwartz, Rosalind P. Walter, Barbara Hope Zuckerberg, Jody and John Arnhold, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Family, Janet Prindle Seidler, Judy and Josh Weston and the Dr. Robert C. and Tina Sohn Foundation.

WNET

© WNET All Rights Reserved.

825 Eighth Avenue

New York, NY 10019