LONG ISLAND’S GOT IT!

August 28, 2018 at 5:00 am

Looking for a getaway close to home? Just look east.

Aired on August 27, 2018.

Transcript Print

>> LONG ISLAND HAS SOMETHING
FOR EVERYONE.
WHETHER YOU LIKE TO CATCH SUN AT
THE BEACH, SIP WINE OR SHOT AT A
MOM AND POP STORE, IT'S A TRAIN
RIDE AWAY.
THAT MAKES THE ISLAND THE
PERFECT PLACE TO BE.
IT HAPPENS TO BE A GOOD SPOT TO
SPEND QUALITY TIME DURING THE
REST OF THE YEAR.
JOINING US TO TELL US ABOUT THAT
IS CHRISTEN JARGEN.
THANKS FOR JOINING US TODAY.
>> THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HAVING
ME.
>> WHEN I THINK OF LONG ISLAND
AS A TOURIST DESTINATION, I
THINK OF PLACES LIKE THE
HAMPTONS, FIRE ISLAND.
FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T BEEN TO
ANY OF THOSE PLACES, WHAT WOULD
YOU SAY?
WHAT DO YOU SAY MAKES THEM SO
ATTRACTIVE?
>> THOSE ARE FAMOUS PLACES.
EVERYONE IN THE WORLD KNOWS THE
HAMPTONS AND EVERYONE HAS HEARD
OF MONTAUK.
WE HAVE FIRE ISLAND.
WE HAVE JONES COAST.
WE HAVE SOME OF THE MOST NOTABLE
PLACES IN THE WORLD.
THE BEACHES, THE INCREDIBLE
CUISINE, THE SEAFOOD, THE
CULTURE, THE CHARM THAT WE HAVE.
THERE'S SO MUCH TO LONG ISLAND
THAT PEOPLE PROBABLY AREN'T
AWARE OF.
>> TELL US SOME OF THOSE PLACES
THAT THEY MAY NOT BE AWARE OF.
>> ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE COMING
FROM NEW YORK CITY, THE GREATEST
THING IS YOU CAN JUMP ON A TRAIN
IN MADISON SQUARE GARDEN AND GO
TO ANY ONE OF OUR UNIQUE
CHARMING DOWNTOWNS OR BEACHES.
THE HOME OF BLUE POINT BREWERY,
YOU CAN GO THERE.
INCREDIBLE RESTAURANTS, BARS.
THERE'S GREAT COMMUNITY AND
PUBLIC THEATER HERE.
THERE'S A LOT OF CULTURE THAT WE
OFFER ON LONG ISLAND.
THERE'S BEEN SHOWS LIKE TURN
SERIES THAT ARE DEDICATED TO OUR
HISTORY.
THE REVOLUTION WAS REALLY SHAPED
ON LONG ISLAND.
WE LIKE TO SAY LONG ISLAND IS
THE REASON YOU DON'T HAVE A
BRITISH ACCENT.
>> YOU TALKED ABOUT THE CULTURAL
AMENITIES.
ELABORATE ON THAT.
IF YOU ARE A CULTURAL TOURIST
AND WANTS TO SEE MUSEUMS OR A
HISTORY BUFF THAT WANTS TO SEE
SOME HISTORICAL SITES, WHAT DOES
LONG ISLAND OFFER?
>> WE PROBABLY START WITH OUR
NATIONAL PARK, WHICH IS THE HOME
OF TEDDY ROOSEVELT.
MOST PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THAT LONG
ISLAND IS ACTUALLY -- WAS THE
FIRST SUMMER WHITE HOUSE.
IT WAS THE FIRST TIME THE WHITE
HOUSE EVER STAYED OPEN DURING
SUMMER.
IT USED TO CLOSE BECAUSE OF THE
HEAT IN WASHINGTON, D.C.
WHEN ROOSEVELT WAS PRESIDENT,
THE TELEPHONE WAS INVESTED.
HE COULD KEEP THE GOVERNMENT
RUNNING ALL YEAR.
WE HAVE INCREDIBLE AVIATION AND
MILITARY HISTORY.
WE HAVE THE ARMORY MUSEUM WHERE
YOU CAN COME AND LITERALLY
RELIVE WORLD WAR II AND RIGHT IN
A TANK AND HAVE ACTORS PORTRAY
IT FOR YOU.
IT'S QUITE FUN.
I HAVE A PICTURE IN MY HELMET
WITH MY STARBUCKS CUP.
THERE'S REALLY GREAT, BEAUTIFUL
AVIATION, MILITARY HISTORY HERE.
I THINK PEOPLE WOULD BE
SURPRISED BY THAT.
>> WHAT ARE SOME OF THE -- YOU
TOUCHED ON THIS.
ASIDE FROMACTIVITIES,
THINGS TO DO THAT YOU COULDN'T
BO IN NEW YORK CITY.
>> THAT'S TOUGH.
WHAT CAN YOU NOT DO IN NEW YORK
CITY?
I THINK ONE OF THE UNIQUE
ASPECTS ABOUT LONG ISLAND IS WE
ARE AN ESCAPE FOR NEW YORK CITY.
ONE OF THE BEST THINGS ABOUT
LONG ISLAND IS OUR EVENTS.
IF YOU LOOK AT -- WE ACTUALLY --
WE LAUNCHED NEW SOFTWARE BECAUSE
THE EVENTS ARE SO POPULAR TO
MAKE THEM MORE ENGAGING.
EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND, THERE ARE
A LITANY EVENTS.
FITFEST ON LONG BEACH.
WE HAVE SEAFOOD FESTIVALS.
WE HAVE THE DICKENS FESTIVAL
WHERE LITERALLY THE WHOLE TOWN
DRESSES UP LIKE A CHARLES
DICKENS NOVEL.
WE HAVE THE EVENT IN THE
HAMPTONS WHICH IS THE ARTS
WEEKEND.
WINTERFEST IN THE WINTER WHERE
IT'S A JAZZ ON THE VINES AND
MUSIC AND VINEYARDS.
LOOK AT THE CALENDAR.
THAT'S WHERE WE HAVE HOLD OUR
MOST UNIQUE ASPECTS.
IF YOU LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY,
TOURISM IS REALLY -- IT'S NOT
JUST VISITORS COMING FOR THE
WEEKEND.
WE'RE STARTING TO TALK ABOUT OUR
OURSELVES AS THE VISITOR
ECONOMY.
IT'S $5.9 BILLION ON LONG
ISLAND.
WHAT THAT MEANS IS THE REASON
WHY -- WE DON'T JUST INVITE
TOURISTS HERE TO TAKE UP OUR
FAVORITE PARKING SPOTS.
WE DO IT BECAUSE IT'S MORE THAN
$700 MILLIONS IN LOCAL
AND STATE REVENUE.
THAT KEEP OURS PERSONAL TAXES
LOWER.
WE INVITE VISITORS TO COME.
>> YOU MENTIONED SOME OF THE
THINGS AVAILABLE.
TELL US A FEW MORE.
>> I MOVED HERE THREE YEARS AGO
FROM ARIZONA.
I STILL SEE WINTER AS AN
INCREDIBLE NOVELTY.
I MAYBE IT SEE IT FROM A
DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE.
THE SNOW, IT'S LIKE A WINTER
WONDERLAND.
THE VILLAGES BECOME THESE
INCREDIBLE NEW ENGLAND-STYLE
CHARMING PLACES WHERE YOU CAN
GET UNIQUE AND LOCAL CRAFTS AND
RETAIL ITEMS.
IT'S A PERFECT PLACE FOR YOUR
UNIQUE SHOPPING FOR THE WINTER.
>> IF SOMEBODY WHO IS WATCHING
NOW WANTS TO GET MORE
INFORMATION ABOUT TOURISM
OPPORTUNITIES IN LONG ISLAND,
WHO SHOULD THEY TALK TO?
>> OF COURSE, WE LIKE TO SAY,
CALL US AND GET ONLINE.
DISCOVERLONGISLAND.COM.
>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.
IT'S BEEN A PLEASURE TALKING TO
YOU.
>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Mutual of America PSEG

Funders

MetroFocus is made possible by James and Merryl Tisch, Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Sylvia A. and Simon B. Poyta Programming Endowment to Fight Anti-Semitism, Bernard and Irene Schwartz, Rosalind P. Walter, Barbara Hope Zuckerberg, Jody and John Arnhold, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Family, Janet Prindle Seidler, Judy and Josh Weston and the Dr. Robert C. and Tina Sohn Foundation.

WNET

© WNET All Rights Reserved.

825 Eighth Avenue

New York, NY 10019