TONIGHT ON METROFOCUS

Two filmmakers set out to give New Yorkers an inside look at the L train shutdown. Documenting the people who will be most affected and their fears, one of the men behind the lens joins us with an unfiltered preview. Could America’s democracy be at risk? The shocking truth behind “dark money,” elections and you. Tonight, we give you an unsettling look at Rosie’s, Rikers Island women’s jail, where inmates are often sexual prey not to other prisoners but to the guards.

Aired on July 13, 2018. 

TRANSCRIPT

> TONIGHT ON 'METROFOCUS'

THE PEOPLE MOST AFFECTED AS THE APRIL SHUT DOWN LOOMS WILL BE CAPTURED ON FILM AND THE MAN BEHIND THE LENS IS HERE.

THE INVESTIGATION INTO DARK MONEY, ELECTIONS AND YOU WITH THE 2018 MIDTERMS APPROACHING, A LOOK BACK AT HOW STATE OFFICIALS AND VOTERS IN MONTANA BATTLE TO KEEP CAMPAIGN MEDDLING UNDER CONTROL AND INSIGHT AND DISTURBING LOOK AT ROSIES, PART OF REICHERS ISLAND WHERE FEMALE INMATES ARE OFTEN SEXUALLY EXPLOITED NOT BY OTHER PRISONERS BUT GUARDS.

THOSE STORIES AND MORE AS 'METRO FOCUS' STARTS RIGHT NOW.

> THIS IS 'METRO FOCUS.'

'M 'METRO FOCFOCUS' IS MADE POSSIB BY BERNARD AND IRENE SCHWARTZ, BARBARA HOPE ZUCKERBERG AND BY CORPORATE FUNDING FOR 'METRO FO FOCUS' BY PSE AND G SERVING CUSTOMERS, STRENGTHENING THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY AND INVESTING IN THE FUTURE.

GOOD EVENING AND WELCOME TO 'METRO FOCUS.'

MONEY, JUDGES AND POLITICIANS.

FOR ME, IT'S A POTENTIAL POWDER KEG, ONE THAT'S PROBLEMATIC SINCE THE ACCEPT PRESUME COURT RULING IN THE CITIZEN'S UNITED CASE.

A NEW DOCUMENTARY CALLED 'DARK MONEY' LOOKS AT UNTRACEABLE MONEY ON ELECTIONS AND OFFICIALS.

IT TAKES VIEWERS TO MONTANA.

LET'S TAKE A QUICK LOOK.

JOHN ADAMS HERE.

I COVERED THE LEGISLATURE FOR THE GREAT FALLS TRIBUNE.

A SOURCE OF MINE HAD COME ACROSS SOMETHING I MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN.

VOTERS IN YOUR DISTRICT HAD NEVER SEEN SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

NO, THIS WAS A WHOLE NEW POLITICAL ATTACK.

SEND OUT ALL THESE MAILINGS.

THEY DON'T CARE IF THEY LIE.

NOBODY KNOWS WHO THEY ARE.

WE CALL THEM DARK MONEY GROUPS.

THEY SEND OUT THOSE CARDS ATTACKING THE OPPONENT.

WHEN THAT CANDIDATE GETS ELECTED, THEY SUPPORT THE AGENDA.

I CAN'T PICK UP THE PHONE AND SAY HEY, WHAT'S YOUR INTEREST IN CANDIDATE X BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHO THEY ARE.

JOINING US WITH MORE DETAILS ON DARK MONEY, OUR DIRECTOR, PRODUCER WRITER KIMBERLY REID AND JOHN ADAMS, WELCOME TO BOTH OF YOU.

LET ME ASK YOU THIS, DARK MONEY.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

YOU KNOW, IT'S MONEY THAT GOES INTO AN ELECTION USUALLY AN ELECTION WE'RE TALKING ABOUT IN THIS SITUATION AND YOU JUST DON'T KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM.

A LOT OF TIMES WITH THE DARK MONEY GROUP, IT'S TECHNICALLY UNDER IRS CODE AND 501 C 4 N NON-PROFIT.

YOU CAN USUALLY FIND OUT THE NAME OF THE GROUP BUT YOU DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA WHO IS FUNDING THE GROUP.

WHO IS WRITING THE CHECK.

RIGHT.

LET'S COME BACK TO THE FILM ITSELF.

YOU'RE AN ACCOMPLISHED FILM MAKER AND I'M CURIOUS HOW THEY FIND THEIR NEXT PROJECT.

BECAUSE THIS TOOK SIX YEARS START TO FINISH?

YEAH.

WHAT WAS IT ABOUT THIS THAT MADE YOU SAY THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO?

THERE WAS A SEED OF AN IDEA IN 2010 WHEN I HEARD ABOUT THE CITIZENS UNITED DECISION FROM THE SUPREME COURT.

I HAD A LOT OF QUESTIONS HOW COULD WE END UP IN THIS SPOT WHERE THE U.S. SUPREME COURT IS SAYING MONEY IS SPEECH AND CORPORATIONS ARE PEOPLE, THEREFORE YOU CAN'T CONSTRAIN THE SPEECH OF A CORPORATION.

I MEAN, I GUESS IF YOU LOOK AT THE JURISPRUDENCE, YOU CAN FIGURE OUT HOW THINGS ENDED UP IN THIS PLACE BUT IT DIDN'T MAKE SENSE ONCE YOU TAKE A STEP BACK AND USED YOUR GUT.

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE.

YOU CAN SEE POLITICAL POWER AND DEMOCRACY.

IN 2012 I SAW MY HOME STATE OF MONTANA HAD A CASE GOING TO THE U.S. SUPREME COURT AND CHALLENGING CITIZENS UNITED.

WE SEE A GOOD DEAL OF YOUR INVOLVEMENT HERE AS AN INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER.

WHY DID YOU START FOCUSSING ON DARK MONEY IN THE STATE OF MONTANA?

IT STARTED SHOWING UP IN ELECTIONS IN 2008 AND WE DIDN'T REALLY KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON AT THE TIME.

THERE IS A SCENE IN THE MOVIE WHERE I TELL ONE OF THE REPUBLICAN HOUSE REPRESENTATIVES WHO LOST HIS PRIMARY IN LARGE PART BECAUSE OF A DARK MONEY CAMPAIGN WAGED AGAINST HIM.

I TOLD HIM THAT'S POLITICS, MAN.

BECAUSE I DIDN'T REALLY FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT WAS GOING ON.

I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THAT THESE GROUPS THAT WERE SPENDING THIS MONEY TO ATTACK HIM WERE UNACCOUNTABLE.

WE DIDN'T KNOW -- IT WASN'T UNTIL LATER THAT I STARTED SEEING THERE WERE THESE CONNECTIONS THAT THESE GROUPS WERE NOT JUST GETTING INVOLVED IN THAT CAMPAIGN BUT GETTING INVOLVED IN MANY CAMPAIGNS AND WHEN I STARTED SAYING WELL WHO IS BEHIND THESE GROUPS?

YOU COULDN'T FIND OUT BECAUSE THE DOW NARCOTICS OR WHATEVER WAS FUNDING THEM WAS ANONYMOUSI W WAS MORE CURIOUS.

MONTANA, THAT'S INTERESTING BUT HOW DOES IT IMPACT ME?

ONE OF THE CHARACTERS, THE FOLKS IN YOUR FILM IS TAKING ABOUT CAMPAIGN FINANCES AND HER QUOTE IS CAMPAIGN FINANCING ESSENTIALLY DRIVES IN AND IS BEHIND ALL POLICY.

IT'S THE GATEWAY ISSUE.

ANY POLITICAL ISSUE DOESN'T GOING TO GET SORTED OUT UNTIL YOU FIGURE OUT WHO ARE THE INFLUENCES BEHIND IT AND, YOU KNOW, IF WE HAVE A DEBATE IN THE PUBLIC SQUARE ABOUT HOW BIG GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE, HOW SMALL IT SHOULD BE, SHOULD WE FUND THIS OR THAT OR EDUCATION AND ALL THESE HEALTH CARE, ALL THESE IMPORTANT ISSUES THAT WE'RE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE SIZE OF THESE GOVERNMENT INSTITUTIONS, HAVING THAT DEBATE IN PUBLIC IS JUST HOW DEMOCRACY WAS DESIGNED AND HOW IT SHOULD WORK AND WHEN YOU HAVE ONE SIDE OF THAT DEBATE COMING FROM A, YOU KNOW, A CORPORATION OR A UNION OR AN INDIVIDUAL JUST ONE PERSON.

OR FOR AN AGENT.

EVEN HAVE TO BE --

RIGHT.

IT JUST DISTORTS THE DEMOCRATIC DEBATE.

AS YOU KNOW, GOOD STORY TELLING FOCUSES ON PEOPLE AND ON THE STORIES AND BACKGROUND AND THE FOCUS, ONE OF THE BIG FOCUSES IS THE STATE OF MONTANA AND MONTANA, JOHN, TALK ABOUT THIS.

HAS ITS OWN REALLY INTERESTING HISTORY IN TERMS OF CORPORATE MONEY.

MONTANA IS HOME -- IT'S A NATURAL RESOURCE STATE AND HOME TO SOME OF THE RICHEST NATURAL RESOURCES IN THE COUNTRY INCLUDING COPPER.

BUICK, MONTANA IS THE RICHEST HILL ON EARTH AND A COPPER BEARING, WILLIAM CLARK WAS ONE OF THE RICHEST PEOPLE ON EARTH AT THE TIME AND LITERALLY BOUGHT HIMSELF MONTANA'S FIRST SENATE SEAT BACK BEFORE THE SENATE WAS ELECTED BY POPULAR VOTE, THEY WERE SELECTED BY THE LEGISLATURE AND WILLIAM CLARK GAVE BAGS FULL OF CASH.

IN MONTANA, THE CITIZENS SAID THAT'S NOT HOW WE WANT THINGS TO HAPPEN SO THEY PASSED THE PRACTICES ACT AND THE PRACTICES ACT BASICALLY ELIMINATED CORPORATE SPENDING AND ELECTIONS IN MONTANA AND THAT WAS TRUE FOR 100 YEARS BEFORE CITIZENS UNITED.

AND AS WE SAID, MONTANA TOOK THEIR OWN SHOT AFTER CITIZENS UNITED AND COVER THAT.

LAST QUESTION FOR YOU HERE AND KIMBERLY, LET ME ASK YOU THIS AS A FILM MAKER AND I SAY THIS OFTEN TO FILM MAKERS, YOU'RE TAKING US ON A JOURNEY BUT YOU'RE ON THAT JOURNEY, TOO, AND OFTEN TIMES YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE IT'S GOING TO TAKE YOU AS YOU PUT IT TOGETHER.

AS YOU LOOK BACK NOW AND WHAT'S BEEN CREATED HERE, WAS THERE ANYTHING THAT SURPRISED YOU?

WHAT I USUALLY TRY TO DO IS HOLD ON TO THOSE SURPRISES BECAUSE SOMETIMES THOSE TWISTS AND TURNS ARE FRUSTRATING AS A FILM MAKE YOU ARE YOU WANT THIS TO HAPPEN AND IT DOESN'T HAPPEN BUT IF YOU CAN HOLD ON TO THOSE AND PUT THEM BACK INTO THE FILM, THEY BECOME NATURAL ORGANIC TWISTS AND TURNS THAT WE GO THROUGH IN EVERYDAY LIFE.

THAT'S ONE THING I WOULD SAY AND I THINK THE BIGGEST TWIST PROBABLY HAS TO DO WITH JOHN.

JOHN IS THE INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER WHO IS AT THE CENTER OF THE STORY DIGGING THROUGH THESE THINGS AND UNCOVERING A A MISSI AND UNCOVERING THE NOVEL IS HOW THE FILM PLAYS, I THINK.

IT REALLY DOES.

IN THE MIDDLE OF IT, JOHN BASICALLY BECOMES A LITTLE SPOILER ALERT HERE.

HE BECOMES EMBLEM OF WHAT NEWSPAPER IS GOING THROUGH AND RESIZING, I WOULD SAY HE'S FORCED TO KIND OF FIGURE OUT WHICH WAY HE'S GOING TO GO WITH THIS JOURNALISM CAREER AND THAT TWIST IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FILM I THINK MAKES THE MOVIE NOT JUST ABOUT CAMPAIGN FINANCE BUT ALSO ABOUT JOURNALISM, THE IMPORTANCE OF JOURNALISM AND HOW CRUCIAL IT IS TO HAVE THE STRONG WATCHDOG PRESS SO YOU CAN KEEP AN EYE ON MONEY AND POLITICS.

NO MATTER WHAT END OF A POLITICAL SPECTRUM YOU MIGHT FIND YOURSELF ON, THIS IS A FASCINATING FILM AND REVEALING AND ILLUMINATING FILM, VERY WELL DONE.

CONGRATULATIONS HERE FOR PUTTING IT TOGETHER FOR BOTH OF YOU AND THANKS FOR SPENDING SOME TIME WITH US.

THANK YOU.

WISH YOU WELL.

> REMINDER FOR YOU TO LEARN MORE ABOUT 'DARK MONEY' FIND OUT HOW TO WATCH THIS IMPORTANT DOCUMENTARY.

VISIT US AT METROFOCUS.ORG.

> NEW YORKERS ACROSS THE CITY ARE DREADING THE UPCOMING SHUTDOWN OF THE L TRAIN SET TO INCONVENIENCE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DAILY COMMUTERS FOR 15 LONG MONTHS.

THE MTA ANNOUNCED ADDITION OF SEVERAL ALTERNATIVE ROUTES.

MANY NEW YORKERS ARE WORRIED ABOUT THE DRAMATIC EFFECTS THAT THIS EXTENDED MAINTENANCE PROJECT WILL HAVE ON THEIR EVERYDAY LIVES.

ONE SUCH NEW YORKER IS EMIT ADLER, A FILM MAKER CURRENTLY WORKING ON A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT THE L TRAIN SHUT DOWDOWN AND TH PEOPLE MOST AFFECTED.

WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM.

THANKS FOR HAVING ME.

SAFE TO SAY MOST NEW YORKERS KNOW THE L. TRAIN WILL BE SHUTTING DOWN FOR 15 LONG MONTHS AND PRETTY MUCH ALL OF THEM KNOW IT'S LIKELY TO BE A HUGE PAIN FOR ALL OF US.

SO WHAT WILL YOUR FILM SHOW THAT WE DON'T KNOW?

DO YOU HOPE TO CONVEY IN THE FILM?

WELL, I THINK THE FILM WILL SHOW SORT OF HOW OUR POLITICS WORK AROUND THE MTA AND GIVE SOME HISTORY ABOUT THE SUBWAYS AND HOW THEY HAVE GOTTEN TO THIS SORT OF STATE OF DISREPAIR THEY ARE IN NOW AND THEN, YOU KNOW, GIVE YOU SORT OF A FRONT ROW SEAT TO THE HUMAN IMPACTS OF BUSINESSES, RESIDENTS, COMMUTERS, CHILDREN WHO HAVE TO USE THE L TO GET TO SCHOOL, IT AFFECTS PEOPLE ACROSS EVERY AGE AND DEMOGRAPHIC.

YOU KNOW, YOU HAVE AN INTERESTING SHOOTING SCHEDULE FOR THE FILM.

YOU BEGIN SHOOTING IT IN 2016 THREE YEARS BEFORE THE SCHEDULE SHUT DOWN AND ACCORDING TO CURRENT PLANS, YOU'RE GOING TO FINISH SHOOTING MONTHS BEFORE THE SHUT DOWN AND YOU THINK THAT WOULD BE THE TIME WHERE MOST OF THE TRAMA AND MUCH OF THE DRAMA WOULD UNFOLD.

WHY THIS TIME?

FOR ONE THING, I WANTED TO GET IN EARLY WHEN I FIRST REALIZED THAT THE L TRAIN WAS GOING TO BE SHUTTING DOWN COUPLE YEARS AGO I REALIZED IT WAS GOING TO TAKE TIME TO BUILD A RELATIONSHIP IN THE COMMUNITY TO GET THE ACCESS WE NEED FOR A FILM LIKE THIS AND I ALSO WANTED TO SEE THE BEFORE AND THE AFTER, YOU KNOW.

WHAT PEOPLE SAY, WHAT POLITICIANS SAY IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

WHAT'S GOING ON RIGHT NOW IS A LOT OF PLANNING FOR THE SHUTDOWN AND A LOT OF THE ANXIETY, THE NERVOUSNESS, BUSINESS OWNERS ARE NERVOUS AND RESIDERESIDENTS, OF COURSE.

I WANTED THE BEFORE AND AFTER.

WHAT PEOPLE SAY IS GOING TO HAPPEN AND WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS FOR PREPARATION?

WE HAVE OUT REACH AND GOING TO THE COMMUNITY AND INTERVIEWED THE PRESIDENT OF THE PTA AND PRESIDENT AT THOSE MEETINGS AND BEEN TRYING TO FOLLOW THOSE ARRIVAL AND HIS EFFORTS HERE IN NEW YORK AND WE SPOKE TO A LOT OF BUSINESS OWNERS, A LOT OF ACTIVISTS, CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS, JUST KIND OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE SORT OF ON THE FOREFRONT OF THIS ISSUE.

WHAT ARE THEY TELLING YOU?

PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITY ARE REPRESENTING MOST OF THOSE AND THEY ARE FREAKING OUT.

SURPRISE.

AS YOU MIGHT IMAGINE, THEY ARE VERY CONCERNED, YOU KNOW, IT'S GOING TO AFFECT EVERYDAY LIVES.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE WELL, WE'LL JUST DEAL WITH IT AND THEY WILL AND I THINK THE MTA AND THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION OF PEOPLE WHO ARE SORT OF INVOLVED IN TRYING TO MAKE THIS SITUATION GO OVER SMOOTHLY ALSO REALIZED THIS IS AN UNPRECEDENTED DISRUPTION AND.

ARE THEY FREAKING OUT.

A LITTLE BIT.

THE REASON I ASK IS I JUST RECENTLY SPOKE TO A TRANSPORT EXPORT IN NEW YORK CITY AND ASK HIM HOW COME ELECTED OFFICIALS SEEM SO ALLOWED TO ALLOW THE SUBWAY TO COLLAPSE?

HE SAID BECAUSE THEY DON'T RIDE THE SUBWAY.

I WONDER IF OFFICIALS INVOLVED IN THE L TRAIN RIDE IT.

I DON'T KNOW IF THEY RIDE IT BUT THE PRESIDENT OF IT CAME IN IN JANUARY AND HE SEEMS TO BE, YOU KNOW, TRYING TO MAKE AN EFFORT TO RIDE THE TRAINS WITH THE PEOPLE AND SEEMS LIKE A MAN OF THE PEOPLE SO FAR.

SO I WOULDN'T, YOU KNOW, HOLD HIM AT FAULT FOR NOT UNDERSTANDING THE ISSUE AND THE REASON THE SUBWAYS HAVE DECLINED IN LARGE PART IS BECAUSE, YOU KNOW, THE MTA OFFICIALS DON'T WRITE THE CHECKS.

THEY DON'T ALLOCATE THE FUNDS AND SO IN MANY CASES, THEY DON'T HAVE RESOURCES.

WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT THE L TRAIN SHUT DOWN, YOU THINK ABOUT THE INCONVENIENCE TO THE COMMUTERS PRIMARILY.

THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO BE HURT THE MOST PROBABLY ARE THE BUSINESSES ON THE L TRAIN ROUTE AND YOU'VE TALKED TO THEM.

TALK ABOUT WHAT THEY ARE SAYING TO YOU.

YEAH, I MEAN --

HOW WILL THEY COPE?

YEAH, THEY DON'T KNOW.

THEY SAY THE L TRAIN IS THEIR MONEY TRAIN AND WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO WITH THESE, YOU KNOW, TOURISTS COMING TO ESPECIALLY WILLIAMSBURG ALL THE WAY UP AND DOWN THE LINE, RELY ON, YOU KNOW, COMMUTERS TO STOP IN BECAUSE OF THE CONVENIENCE OF HAVING THE BODEGA ON THE CORNER BUT IF THEY COME ON A SEPARATE LINE AND NOT COMMUTING THE SUBWAY BECAUSE OF THIS, THEY DON'T STOP AT THAT BODEGA AND IN A LOT OF CASES, THOSE BODEGAS HAVE TAKEN THESE PEOPLE TRAVELING FROM A LONG WAY AWAY SUPPORTING MULTIPLE FAMILIES.

DO YOU THINK A LOT OF THESE BUSINESSES WILL SHUT DOWN?

I THINK INEVITABLY THERE WILL BE CASUALTIES.

WE ONLY HAVE A LITTLE TIME BUT YOU SAID YOU DON'T ONLY WANT TO CONVEY THE PROMISE OF THE L TRAIN SHUT DOWN BUT WANT TO ADDRESS LARGE ERSR SCENES IN TH FILM.

WHAT ARE THEY?

THE SITUATION WITH THE NEW YORK CITY SUBWAYS IS I INFRASTRUCTURE NATIONWIDE.

WE HEARD INFRASTRUCTURE IS CRUMBLING AND WE DON'T MAINTAIN THE THINGS THAT WE BUILD BECAUSE IT'S NOT SEXY FOR A POLITICIAN.

POLITICS WANT TO BUILD A BRAND-NEW STATION OR A BRAND-NEW BUILDING OR STATUTE OR PARK.

THEY DON'T WANT TO MAINTAIN WHAT WE HAVE AND THAT'S GOTTEN US TO THIS POINT AND THE L TRAIN WAS FLOODED BUT HURRICANE SANDY SO IT'S SLIGHTLY A DIFFERENT CASE BUT, YOU KNOW, MAYBE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUTFITTED TO PREVENT SOME FLOOD LIKE THAT.

I MEAN, BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY, IT WAS VULNERABLE BUT NO ONE IS REALLY --

WELL, QUICKLY, AS I SAID, THE FILM WILL COME OUT AT THE FALL NEXT YEAR.

BUT YOU WERE GOING TO BE SHOWING SNIPPETS OF IT ONLINE?

YES, ON SOCIAL MEDIA, THANKS FOR ASKING.

FACEBOOK AND TWITTER.

WE'RE ACTUALLY RELEASING BITS OF FOOTAGE AS WE SHOOT IT AND WE ARE SHOWING BEHIND THE SCENES.

INFORMATION ABOUT THE L TRAIN SHUT DOWN SO IF YOU WANT TO STAY UP ON THE LATEST AND SEE WHAT WE'RE DOING.

OKAY.

THAT'S THE PLACE TO DO IT.

ALL RIGHT.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

OKAY.

THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

APPRECIATE IT.

> IF YOU HAVE YOUNG CHILDREN WATCHING RIGHT NOW, YOU MAY WANT TO HAVE THEM STEP OUT FOR THE NEXT SEGMENT BECAUSE OF THE GRAPHIC NATURE.

THE ROSE M SINGER CENTER IS THE CITY'S MAIN JAIL FOR FEMALE DETAINEES KNOWN AS ROSIES, THE FACILITY HAS BEEN AT THE CENTER OF DISTURBING ACCUSATIONS OF SEXUAL ASSAULT ON THE PART OF BOTH INMATES AND STAFF.

A RECENT DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE STUDY FOUND THAT ABOUT 50 OF THE 800 WOMEN HOUSED AT ROSIES WERE BEING SEXUALLY VICTIMIZED BY STAFF MEMBERS MAKING THE FACILITY ONE OF THE WORST JAILS IN THE COUNTRY.

RAPE AT ROSIES, A STORY IN THE LATEST ISSUE OF NEW YORK MAGAZINE LAYS OUT A HARROWING PICTURE OF ASSAULT AND ABUSE WITH MINIMAL ACCOUNTABILITY.

THE PIECE FOLLOWS INMATE DARCEL MARSHALL THAT WON A $1.2 MILLION LAWSUIT AGAINST THE CITY.

THE COMPLAINT ALLEGED AMONG OTHER THINGS THAT MARSHALL AND ANOTHER INMATE WERE REPEATEDLY RAPED BY A GUARD AND ACCUSED THE CITY OF GIVING CORRECTION OFFICERS A PERCEIVED FREE HAND TO RETALIATE AGAINST WOMEN THAT REPORTED THEM.

JOINING ME IS JON TUCKER, A CRIMINAL JUSTICE REPORTER THAT WROTE THE PIECE FOR THE NEW YORK MAGAZINE.

JOHN, WELCOME TO YOU.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

FIRST QUESTION FOR YOU IS THIS.

WHAT WAS IT THAT BROUGHT YOU TO THIS STORY?

SURE, YOU KNOW, I WAS LOOKING AT THE ME TOO MOVEMENT AND SAW THIS RECKONING HIT PLACES LIKE HOLLYWOOD AND CAPITOL HILL AND THE MEDIA INDUSTRY, BUT I WAS ALSO THINKING ABOUT OTHER SPACES THAT WE HADN'T REALLY EXPLORED IN TERMS OF HOW THIS WAS AFFECTING THEM ONE BEING HOUSING AND DETENTION WHERE ARGUABLY THE POWER BETWEEN THOSE WHO HAVE IT AND THOSE WHO DON'T IS GREATER THAN THOSE OTHER ARENAS THAT WE DISCUSSED.

SO THAT TO ME WAS KIND OF A STARTING POINT, AND I SAW THAT -- I SAW A NEWS CLIP FROM LAST YEAR SAYING THE SETTLEMENT SEEMED TO BE A MAJOR CASE.

I KNOW IT WAS THE LAWSUIT WAS LAUNCHED IN THE CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT.

IT WAS LAUNCHED BY TWO ANONYMOUS JANE DOE ONES SO I WASN'T SURE IF IT WAS SETTLED ONE OF THE JANE DOES MIGHT WANT TO TAKE THE TIME AND KIND OF, THE HISTORY OF WOMEN'S EMPOWERMENT TO TELL THEIR STORY AND HAVE THEIR VOICE BE HEARD AND THAT'S HOW I GOT CONNECTED TO CDARCEL MARSHALL.

I WANT TO GET TO THE STORY IN A MINUTE.

DID YOU FIND WE HAVE ANY REAL CONCRETE IDEA OF HOW PERVASIVE THE SEXUAL ASSAULTS ARE WITHIN THE WOMEN'S FACILITIES?

NO, I MEAN, IT'S REALLY UNDER LITERALLY UNDER LOCK AND KEY.

WE HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF DATA THAT UNFORTUNATELY DOESN'T TRACK EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

THE MOST RECENT FEDERAL DATA WE HAVE COMES FROM A 2013 DOJ STUDY THAT WAS THE YEAR THAT MARSHALL WAS HOUSED THERE.

WE HAVE INMATES WHO ARE VERY, VERY TERRIFIED TO TALK ABOUT IT EVEN AMONG THEMSELVES.

SO I DID SPEAK TO FEMALE INMATES.

THEY TALKED ABOUT IT A LITTLE BIT AND THEN YOU HAVE LAWYERS WHO ARE KNEE-DEEP ENTRENCHED IN THESE CASES AND THOSE LAWYERS SAY THAT IT'S SYSTE SYSTEMIC AN WOMEN ARE FEARFUL OF REPORTING IT AND SOME PEOPLE THINK IT'S NORMAL AND STANDARD PRACTICE PART OF BEING IN PRISON.

LET ME TALK ABOUT DARCEL MARSHALL, THE CENTER PIECE OF THE STORY AND SHE LIVED A FAIRI LIFE.

SHE WAS IN THE SEX INDUSTRY AND HAD BEEN, HAD SOME CONVICTIONS BEFORE SHE FOUND HERSELF IN ROSIES AS IT'S DESCRIBED.

SHE TALKS VERY CANDIDLY TO YOU IN YOUR ARTICLE ABOUT HOW SHE GOT INVOLVED INITIALLY WITH A CONSENSUAL SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP WITH A JAIL GUARD.

IT WAS SORT OF THE CURRENCY, IF YOU WOULD, TRANSACTIONAL IN THE FACILITY.

SHE GOT MONEY OR SHE GOT THINGS THAT SHE COULD USE THERE AS A CONSEQUENCE AND THEN IT GOT TO THE POINT THAT SHE ALLEGES WHERE IT BECAME MUCH MORE FORCIBLE AND INDEED, ACTUAL RAPE ACCORDING TO HER.

YEAH.

HOW DID YOU FIND HER AND WAS SHE ORIGINALLY TO THE NOTION OF TELLING HER STORY?

SHE WAS.

I DIDN'T THINK SHE WOULD WANT TO TALK BROKEN.

THERE IS A LOT OF SHAME AND VULNERABILITY.

I WAS PREPARED FOR SOME GRUELING CONVERSATIONS BUT WHEN I WENT TO VISIT HER IN NORTH CAROLINA, THE TRAMA WAS THERE AND SHE OPENED UP AND IT TOOK TIME AND CONVERSATIONS.

I FOUND HER VERY INTELLIGENT AND VERY CLEAR.

EUCLID PERSON WHO JUST HAD A COMPELLING AFFECTING STORY TO TELL JUST AS A STORY BUT PRESENTED IT IN SUCH A CLEAR AND COMPELLING WAY YOU COULDN'T HELP BUT BE DRAWN TO HER STORY AND JUST IN TERMS OF WHAT SHE TALKS ABOUT FROM HER OWN PREVIOUS LIFE, SHE IS FROM THE STREETS BASICALLY.

SHE WAS A FORMER SEX WORKER AND SHE TALKED IN SOMETIMES GRAPHIC DETAIL WHAT THAT MEANS, THE REALITY OF IT.

SHE MORE THAN ANYTHING KEEPS IT REAL.

SHE TELLS THE STRAIGHT TRUTH AND YOU CAN LIKE IT OR NOT BUT IT'S NOT SANITIZED IN ANY WAY.

WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT SOME OF HER STORIES FROM HER PREVIOUS SEX WORK LIFE WHERE SHE HAD BEEN PILLED OUT BY SUCCESSION OF BAD MEN, DRUGS, RAPED, THROWN OUT OF MOVING CARS, YOU KNOW, THAT IS JUST KIND OF THE NATURAL THREAD LEADING TO HER POSITION IN ROSIES WHERE IT'S KIND OF NOT THAT DISSIMILAR TO WHAT LIFE ON THE STREET IS LIKE WITH MEN IN POSITIONS OVEF POWER WHO CAN LEVERAGE THE POWER TO GET WHAT THEY WANT AND YOU MAKE THE POINT THIS WAS A CONSENSUAL RELATIONSHIP TO BEGIN WITH WITH THE GUARD BENNY SANTIAGO.

GO AHEAD.

THESE WOMEN ARE UNABLE TO CONCEPT.

I WANT TO SAY THE DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS IN RESPONSE TO OUR REQUEST ABOUT A COMMENT BASED UPON THE STORY SAID ESSENTIALLY THEY ARE HOPEFULLY GOING TO DO BETTER.

I THINK THAT'S A FAIR CHARACTERIZATION OF PROTECTING INMATES HERE.

BASED UPON AGAIN YOUR RESEARCH AND WRITING HERE, ARE YOU AT ALL OPTIMISTIC THAT WE WILL SEE POSITIVE CHANGES TAKE PLACE?

I HOPE.

I'M A STRANGE BIRD BECAUSE I'M A JOURNALIST WHO TRIES TO LOOK AT THE GLASS HALF FULL.

I'M AN OPTIOPTIMIST.

THEY HAVE IREDINVESTIGATORS.

THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE CLEARED AND CLOSED IN 90 DAYS, SOMETHING IS WRONG.

IF YOU ASK THEM, THEY HAVE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IS NOT THE WAY OF BUSINESS.

I HOPE IT CHANGES AND RAPE IN PRISON AND JAIL, WE DON'T TALK ABOUT WHO IT IS AFFECTING.

DARCEL MARSHALL WAS THE WRONG PERSON TO BE VICTIMIZED.

SHE'S COME A LONG WAY AND SINCE SHE'S BEEN WOMEN'S EMPOWERMENT CIRCLE, SHE'S WRITTEN A BOOK.

CERTAINLY MOVED FORWARD AS A CONSEQUENCE.

JOHN, A REVEALING AND VERY POWERFUL AND COMPELLING ARTICLE.

THANK YOU FOR SPENDING TIME WITH US.

YOU BE WELL.

THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

'METROFOCUS' IS MADE POSSIBLE BY--

©2022 WNET. All Rights Reserved. 825 Eighth Avenue, New York, NY 10019

WNET is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Tax ID: 26-2810489