TONIGHT ON METROFOCUS

Over 2,000 children who crossed the U.S. border illegally with their parents have now been separated from them. We’re looking at next steps and political fallout for the President over The White House’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy. It’s 90 degrees plus, and besides Mother Nature turning up the temperature, Manhattan itself is an “Urban Heat Island.” Find out what that is, and what plans are underway to keep us all cool when it gets hot. We’re headed Upstate to Sharon Springs, New York, where children will have after school programing for the first time in a decade. A new documentary “Quest,” provides a vivid look at race and class in America, and delivers a testament to love, healing and hope. We have your preview.

Aired on June 18, 2018.

TRANSCRIPT

> TONIGHT ON 'METROFOCUS.'

OUTRAGE AND TEARS.

OVER 2,000 CHILDREN WHO CROSSED THE BORDER WITH THEIR PARENTS ILLEGALLY HAVE BEEN SEPARATED FROM THEM.

NOW MORE AND MORE AMERICANS ARE WEIGHING IN ON THIS HEARTBREAKING STORY, INCLUDING FIRST LADY MELANIA TRUMP AND FORMER FIRST LADY LAURA BUSH.

> AND HOW HOT IS IT?

IT'S HOT.

BUT WHY DOES THE CITY GET SO HOT, AND WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?

WE'RE TAKING A REFRESHING LOOK.

> PLUS, A FAMILY'S QUEST TO BRIDGE THE DISTANCES OF RACE AND CLASS IN AMERICA THROUGH THE POWER OF LOVE.

WE HAVE A PREVIEW.

THOSE STORIES AND MORE AS 'METROFOCUS' STARTS RIGHT NOW.

> THIS IS 'METROFOCUS' WITH RAPHAEL P.RAMON, AND JENNA FLANIGAN.

FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS PROVIDED BY -- CORPORATE FUNDING FOR 'METROFOCUS' WAS PROVIDED BY YOUR RETIREMENT COMPANY.

AND BY PSE & G.

SERVING COMPANIES, STRENGTHENING THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY AND INVESTING IN THE FUTURE.

FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM IS ALSO PROVIDED BY THE JPB FOUNDATION AND THE FORD FOUNDATION.

> PRESIDENT TRUMP'S HEARTLESS POLICY OF RIPPING APART FAMILIES WHO ARE COMING TO THE UNITED STATES SEEKING FREEDOM FROM FEAR, FROM VIOLENCE IS CRUEL, INHUMANE AND BLATANTLY UN-AMERICAN.

THIS ADMINISTRATION IS PERSECUTING AND PROSECUTING THOSE FLEEING DANGER, TAKING BABIES FROM THEIR MOTHERS AND FATHERS' ARMS CAUSING GREAT TRAUMA.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO JUSTIFICATION FOR THIS POLICY.

IT IS CRUELTY FOR CRUELTY'S SAKE.

THIS IS NOT WHO WE ARE AS A NATION.

THAT WAS NEW YORK CONGRESSWOMAN CAROLYN MALONEY PASSIONATELY DENOUNCING THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION'S ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY OF SEPARATING CHILDREN FROM PARENTS WHO CROSSED ILLEGALLY INTO THE U.S.

GOOD EVENING.

I'M JENNA FLANAGAN.

THE DEBATE OVER TRUMP'S POLICY OF SEPARATING FAMILIES AT THE BORDER IS HEATING UP.

OVER THE WEEKEND, DEMOCRATS HELD SEVERAL PROTESTS AT IMMIGRATION DETENTION CENTERS AROUND THE COUNTRY, INCLUDING ONE IN ELIZABETH, NEW JERSEY.

FIRST LADY MELANIA TRUMP WEIGHED IN ON THE CONTROVERSY OVER THE WEEKEND SAYING SHE HATES TO SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING AND BELIEVES THIS NEEDS TO BE A COUNTRY THAT, QUOTE, GOVERNS WITH HEART.

FORMER FIRST LADY LAURA BUSH TOOK IT A STEP FURTHER IN A STATEMENT OF HER OWN LABELING THE POLICY AS, QUOTE, CRUEL AND IMMORAL.

NEARLY 2,000 MINORS HAVE BEEN SEPARATED FROM THEIR PARENTS AT THE BORDER BETWEEN MID-APRIL AND THE END OF MAY ACCORDING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY.

THE ISSUE WILL NOW TAKE CENTER STAGE ON CAPITOL HILL WHERE CONGRESS PLANS TO TAKE UP A PAIR OF BILLS THIS WEEK AIMED AT ENDING THE PRACTICE.

NOT ONLY IS THIS TONIGHT'S LEAD STORY AND THE CONVERSATION GOING ON IN HOMES AROUND THE COUNTRY, BUT IT ALSO EPITOMIZES OUR CHASING THE DREAM INITIATIVE HERE AT PBS WHICH LOOKS AT POVERTY AND OPPORTUNITY IN AMERICA.

JOINING ME TO DISCUSS ALL OF THIS IS ELLIS HANNAGAN, WRITER OF THE POPULAR TRUMP'S AMERICA COLUMN FOR METRO PAPERS.

ELLIS, WELCOME BACK.

GOOD TO SEE YOU.

SO MANY DIFFERENT TAKES ON THIS.

A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE EITHER BEEN OUTRAGED OR SOMEHOW RESIGNED TO THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO DO.

FIRST, YOUR TAKE.

THIS IS A TOUGH ONE TO DEFEND.

ONCE YOU USE THE PHRASE YANKING CHILDREN AWAY FROM THEIR PARENTS, GOOD LUCK MAKING A CONVINCING DEFENSE OF THAT.

BUT WE SEE A LOT OF PEOPLE ATTEMPT TO MAKE DEFENSES.

FIRST, OF COURSE, WE HEARD FROM ATTORNEY GENERAL JEFF SESSIONS SAYING THAT THIS WAS JUST SIMPLY ENFORCING THE LAW AND, THEREFORE, NECESSARY TO DO.

WE'VE HEARD FROM SOME OTHER PEOPLE PARSE THAT OUT IN TERMS OF, LIKE, THE PARENTS ARE GOING TO DETENTION CENTERS SO THE KIDS CAN'T BE WITH THEM.

THEN WE'VE HEARD FROM THE PRESIDENT AND SEVERAL OTHER PEOPLE FROMMING HIS CIRCLES SAYING THIS IS THE DEMOCRATS FAULT AND IF THEY'D JUST FIX THEIR BROKEN LAW, WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS.

BLAME DEMOCRATS, BLAME THE PARENTS AND BLAME THE KIDS BUT I'M SORRY.

TRYING TO PORTRAY THIS AS SLEEP AWAY CAMP IS NOT GOING TO WORK.

JUST LIKE THE THING RICH PARENTS DO EXCEPT YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOUR PARENTS ARE.

IT'S NOT SELLING, JENNA.

WE'VE SEEN A LOT OF PUSHBACK FROM EVEN SOME SURPRISING HARD-LINE TRUMP SUPPORTERS.

WE'VE SEEN FROM THE SOUTHERN BAPTIST CONVENTION.

WE'VE SEEN FROM SOME PROMINENT REPUBLICAN SUPPORTERS.

KELLYANNE CONWAY.

YEAH, OKAY, WE'LL GET INTO THAT IN A SECOND.

SOME HAVE OUTRIGHT SAID THIS IS WRONG AND NEEDS TO STOP.

PEOPLE LIKE, WE'VE HEARD FROM KELLYANNE CONWAY WAS SAYING THAT WHILE THIS IS NOT OKAY AND SHE'S NOT COMFORTABLE WITH IT, IT'S STILL NECESSARY.

FAIR ENOUGH.

I MEAN, THAT'S THE ARGUMENT.

THE PRESSURE WAS RISING ON THIS THING PARTLY BECAUSE OF THE DEMONSTRATIONS YOU'RE DESCRIBING.

REALLY THE FACT IT CUTS ACROSS SO MANY LINES.

THE AMERICANS ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THE NOTION OF TAKING INNOCENT KIDS AND WHATEVER YOU THINK OF THE PARENTS COMING HERE, THE KIDS DIDN'T ASK FOR IT BUT SEPARATING THOSE FAMILIES FOR WHAT REALLY, AT BASE, IS THE SMALLEST OF CRIMINAL OFFENSES.

A MISDEMEANOR, IMPROPERLY CROSSING THE BORDER.

COULD CONCEIVABLY PRODUCE SIX MONTHS IN JAIL.

MOST CASES LIKE THAT YOU'D NEVER GET A MOMENT OF JAIL TIME.

IT'S NOT A PENALTY THAT REALLY MATCHES THE OFFENSE.

AND, OF COURSE NOW WE'VE -- SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE SEEN THIS ONE VERY HEART-WRENCHING IMAGE OF THIS LITTLE GIRL WHO LOOKS TO BE ABOUT 2 WHO IS STANDING THERE SOBBING AS HER MOTHER IS BEING TAKEN AWAY.

IS THERE ANY INDICATION -- I UNDERSTAND THEY'VE OPENED UP SOME OF THESE DETENTION FACILITIES TO THE PRESS TO GIVE THEM A LOOK.

IS THERE ANY CLEAR UNDERSTANDING AS TO HOW THIS IS BEING HANDLED AND IS THERE A PLAN TO REUNITE THESE FAMILIES?

THERE'S NOT YET.

THEY SAY THIS IS A PROCESS AND IT'S GOING ON.

IT'S TAKING A LITTLE LONGER.

BUT THE REASON IT'S SO SLOW AND THE REASON IT'S SO DIFFICULT IS THAT THE NUMBERS ARE SO BIG.

OUR BORDER PATROL ISN'T STAFFED UP TO HANDLE THIS.

THEY WERE NOT ASKED TO DO IT DURING THE PREVIOUS ADMINISTRATION, WHICH ALSO BELIES THE ARGUMENT THAT SOMEHOW OR ANOTHER THIS IS SOME DEMOCRATIC LAW THAT THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION IS STUCK WITH.

THIS COULD BE CHANGED RIGHT BEFORE THE END OF OUR CONVERSATION WITH A POKE OF THE TWITTER FINGER OF THE PRESIDENT OR STROKE OF THE PEN.

THIS COULD BE DONE.

I'M TELLING YOU, THE PRESSURE IS RISING.

THE PRESSURE IS RISING BUT WE HAVE A PRESIDENT WHO HAS MADE SORT OF HIS POLICY POSITION AND ALSO HIS PERSONALITY POSITION OF NOT BACKING DOWN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

THAT'S TRUE.

THAT'S TRUE.

HOW DOES THIS WORK THEN?

CONGRESS IS PUSHING.

YOU CAN COME UP WITH A NUMBER OF SCENARIOS.

THE DIABOLICAL ONE IN MY HEAD, TELL ME IF THIS MAKES SENSE.

BLAME JEFF SESSIONS.

WHAT IF TRUMP TOMORROW SAID THAT DAFTARDLY ATTORNEY GENERAL SESSIONS HAS BOTCHED THIS AND MAYBE I NEED TO FIRE HIM OVER IT.

RIGHT?

HOW WOULD DEMOCRATS FOCUSED ON THE RUSSIA PROBE FEEL ABOUT THAT?

AT THIS POINT, THERE'S SO MANY THINGS HAPPEN WITH THE NEWS CYCLE LATELY THAT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

I THINK WE CAN ALL UNFORTUNATELY AGREE WITH THAT NOW.

A LOT OF SCENARIOS.

YEAH.

AT LEAST WHEN IT COMES TO WHAT THE PRESIDENT MAY OR MAY NOT DO, SOME PEOPLE ARE SAYING HE'S ACTUALLY USING THESE KIDS AS LEVERAGE TO GET FUNDING FOR HIS WALL.

THERE'S AN INTERESTING TECHNIQUE.

THE PRESIDENT'S VIEW IS LET'S SOLVE THIS BY GIVING ME EVERYTHING I OPT IMMIGRATION.

YOU AGREE TO BUILD THE WALL AND DO THESE 12 OTHER THINGS AND THEN I'LL MAKE SURE THESE FAMILIES DON'T GET SEPARATED.

AT THE SAME TIME, THAT IS WHAT THE PRESIDENT DOES.

THAT'S HOW HE'S DONE A LOT OF HIS BUSINESS NEGOTIATION.

WHY WOULD WE THINK THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

IF YOU SAY IN ORDER TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM THAT YOU AND I BOTH AGREE IS A BAD SITUATION, YOU'VE GOT TO GIVE ME ALL THESE OTHER THINGS THAT I WANT.

THE MOST LIKELY RESULT OF THAT STRATEGY IS THAT NOTHING HAPPENS.

SO WE'LL HAVE TO SEE WHETHER THE POLITICAL PRESSURE THAT YOU JUST DESCRIBED, DEMONSTRATIONS, THOSE OP-EDS FROM FORMER REPUBLICAN FIRST LADIES, DOES THAT PRESSURE RISE TO THE POINT THAT THE PRESIDENT AND HIS SUPPORTERS HAVE TO FOLD?

I DON'T THINK WE KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT, BUT THAT'S WHAT I'LL BE WATCHING.

I THINK THAT AS WELL AS THE U.S. BEGINS TO GET ANY KIND OF INTERNATIONAL PRESSURE.

WE DID HAVE THE U.N. SAY THIS IS NOT OKAY BUT HOW MUCH HOTTER DOES THE SITUATION GET?

I DON'T KNOW THAT INTERNATIONAL PRESSURE IS THE THING HERE.

A BUNCH OF WHINING FOREIGNERS COMPLAINING ABOUT AMERICA DOES NOT SOUND TO ME TO BE --

THAT DOG IS NOT GOING TO HUNT.

THAT'S NOT GOING TO MAKE THE TRUMP BASE CRUMBLE.

BUT A LOT OF DECENT FOLKS ACROSS THE POLITICAL SPECTRUM SAYING THIS IS NOT WHO WE ARE.

WE CAN HAVE LARGER DEBATES ABOUT THE BORDER.

WE CAN TALK ABOUT THELA HUMANITR IMMIGRANT TRADITIONS AND OUR NEED FOR SECURITY, BUT THOSE ARE ALL IMPORTANT QUESTIONS.

BUT, YOU KNOW, IN THE END YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO YANK THESE 6-YEAR-OLDS AWAY FROM MOM AND DAD.

VERY QUICKLY BECAUSE WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME.

ONE OF THE THINGS THIS ADMINISTRATION HAS BEEN ACCUSED OF IS CREATING HUGE CONTROVERSIES TO DEFLECT FROM SOMETHING ELSE.

IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE WE SHOULD BE PAYING ATTENTION TO?

PROBABLY 47 OTHER THINGS.

IT'S HARD TO ASSUME, THOUGH, THAT THIS IS ALL A CAREFULLY ORCHESTRATED PLOT BECAUSE JUST AS OFTEN AS I CAN SHOW YOU EXAMPLES WHERE IT IS EFFECTIVE, JUST AS MANY TIMES IT'S PULLING US ALL AWAY FROM STUFF THE RABO.

SO I DON'T BUY THE GRAND CONSPIRACY THEORY HERE.

I JUST THINK A LOT OF STUFF IS HAPPENING AND IT'S ALL COLLIDING TOGETHER.

THAT IS TRUE.

ELLIS, THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

WE'D LOVE TO HAVE YOU BACK, ESPECIALLY IF THIS PROCEEDS TO GET RESOLVED SOME TIME SOON.

LET'S HOPE THAT HAPPENS QUICKLY.

THANK YOU AGAIN.

> ALL THIS TALK ABOUT THE HEAT GOT US THINKING AT 'METROFOCUS' WHY IS IT THAT HEAT WAVE OR NOT IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO BE HOTTER IN THIS CITY THAN ANYWHERE ELSE.

THERE'S A REASON FOR THAT AND IT'S CALLED THE URBAN HEAT ISLAND EFFECT.

JANA FLANAGAN SAT DOWN WITH THE NEW YORK EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF NATURE CONSERVANCY AND ASKED HIM WHAT THAT IS ALL ABOUT.

THE URBAN HEAT ISLAND EFFECT REFERS TO THE FACT ON A HOT SUMMER'S DAY, TEMPERATURES IN NEW YORK CITY, FOR EXAMPLE, BECAUSE OF OUR BUILDINGS, THE AMOUNT OF PAVEMENT, THE DARK ROOFS THAT WE HAVE, JUST THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE LIVING HERE, TEMPERATURES IN THE CITY CAN BE ANYWHERE FROM 10, 15 TO 20 DEGREES HOTTER THAN THEY WOULD BE IN THE SUBURBS OR OUT IN RURAL AREAS.

SO WHAT WE'RE SAYING IS WE NEED TO GET ON TOP OF THIS AND FIND WAYS TO ABATE THIS BECAUSE THIS IS REALLY ABOUT QUALITY OF LIFE AND IT'S ACTUALLY -- IT CAN KILL AND MAKE SICK LARGE NUMBERS OF THE POPULATION.

SO WHAT ARE THOUGHTFUL SOLUTIONS TO ADDRESSING AND ELIMINATING THE URBAN HEAT ISLAND EFFECT?

HOW DOES THIS RELATE TO -- DOES THIS COME INTO PLAY WITH GLOBAL WARMING?

IT DOES.

SO GLOBAL WARMING -- ESSENTIALLY WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN, A HEAT WAVE IS ANY SERIES OF THREE DAYS OR MORE THAT ARE 90 DEGREES OR MORE.

AND WE'RE GOING TO SEE MORE AND MORE OF THAT WITH CLIMATE CHANGE AND GLOBAL WARMING.

SO WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO ADDRESS THIS THREAT NOW SO WE CAN BETTER PROTECT OUR PEOPLE AND HAVE A MORE LIVABLE CITY.

NOW I'M SURE EVERYBODY IN NEW YORK WOULD ALREADY SAY, WELL, WE KNOW HOW HOT IT IS.

BUT FOR SOMEONE WHO IS NOT IN THE AREA IF IT'S AN ISLAND, HOW DOES THAT COME INTO PLAY WITH THE HEAT?

IT SHOULD BE COOLER BECAUSE WE HAVE THE WATER.

THE NUMBER ONE INDICATOR ABOUT WHERE YOU GET HEAT IN THE CITY ACTUALLY HAS TO DO WITH VEGETATION.

SO YOU'RE RIGHT.

THE FACT THAT BEING ON THE COAST IS HELPFUL.

BUT THE NATURE CONSERVANCY SCIENTISTS HAVE LOOKED AT MAPS OF WHERE ARE THE PARKS, WHERE ARE THE TREES, WHERE ARE THE GREEN SPACES, AND THEN WHERE DO YOU HAVE THESE SPIKES OF HEAT IN THE SUMMERTIME?

YOU SEE THIS VERY CLOSE CORRELATION WITH LACK OF VEGETATION AND TREES TO HIGH HEAT.

SO WHAT WE'RE SUGGESTING IS NATURE HAS A BIG ROLE TO PLAY IN SOLVING THE URBAN HEAT ISLAND EFFECT.

OKAY.

SO HOW -- WHAT ROLE IS THAT THAT NATURE IS GOING TO PLAY?

WHAT WE'RE LOOKING AT ARE A COUPLE OF THINGS.

CAN WE JUST CREATE MORE PARKS?

MORE GREEN SPACES?

THAT WILL BRING DOWN HEAT.

ALSO JUST BUSHES AND TREES ALONG STREETS.

GOOD AESTHETICALLY, GOOD FOR PROPERTY VALUES.

BUT THAT SHADE PROVIDES SUCH A COOLING EFFECT.

AND THE OTHER POSSIBILITY IS GREEN ROOFS.

SO ACTUALLY 30% OF THE CITY IS IN ROOFS.

IF WE COULD START PUTTING MORE VEGETATION UP THERE AND CREATING LIVING SPACES WHETHER THEY'RE GARDENS OR TREE AND GRASSY AREAS, THOSE ARE ALL THINGS THAT WILL HELP BRING DOWN SUM ARETIME TEMPERATURES.

ARE THOSE SOME OF THE THINGS THE MAYOR'S OFFICE IS LOOKING INTO?

THEY PURPOSE WHAT WE'RE LOOKING AT -- THE -- WHAT'S REALLY INTERESTING IT'S ALSO THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH.

THIS IS A BIG HEALTH RISK.

TYPICALLY IT'S YOUNGER AND OLDER PEOPLE AND FOLKS WITH CHRONIC ILLNESSES THAT SUFFER THE MOST.

IT MAKES LIFE HARD FOR EVERYONE.

SO THE IDEA IS, WHAT CAN WE DO?

SO, IS IT AROUND NATURAL INFRASTRUCTURE WHICH WE THINK WILL HAVE A ROLE LIKE TREES AND PARKS?

EVEN THINGS AS SIMPLE AS PAINTING ROOFS WHITE.

IT'S A DARK BLACK ROOF THAT ABSORBS ALL OF THAT HEAT FROM THE SUN.

WHEN YOU PAINT A ROOF WHITE, IT REFLECTS THE HEAT BACK OUT INTO THE ATMOSPHERE.

SO I'M SURE IN THE END IT'S PROBABLY GOING TO BE SOME COMBINATION BETWEEN TREES AND BUSHES AND PARKS AS WELL AS HOW WE GET SMARTER WITH OUR ROOFTOP SPACES THAT ULTIMATELY WILL HELP THE CITY WITH A SOLUTION.

SO WHAT DOES THE AVERAGE NEW YORK DOER TO HELP LIMIT THE HEAT OR ALLEVIATE THE HEAT?

A COUPLE OF THINGS.

THE FIRST IS DO ANYTHING YOU CAN TO REDUCE CLIMATE CHANGE OR GLOBAL WARMING.

IF WE CAN REDUCE EMISSIONS, THAT'S A SOURCE OF THE CAUSE.

AND THE OTHER IS, WHEREVER YOU LIVE IN THE CITY, ARE THERE OPPORTUNITIES FOR STREET TREE AROUND YOUR BUILDING OR HOME IF YOU ALREADY DON'T HAVE THAT?

ARE THERE OPPORTUNITIES WHETHER YOU LIVE IN A SHARE BUILDING OR AN INDIVIDUAL FAMILY DWELLING TO CHANGE THE COLOR OF YOUR ROOF TO ALLOW MORE HEAT TO BE REFLECTED OFF?

AND THEN JUST STAYING AWARE.

SUPPORT FOLKS AND PROGRAMS DESIGNED TO ADDRESS THE THREAT AND WHAT I THINK IS SO IMPORTANT IS IT'S OFTEN SOME OF THE LOWER INCOME NEIGHBORHOODS WHERE THIS IS A REAL PROBLEM.

SO SORT OF HELPING SUPPORT THE PROGRAMS OF THE MAYOR THAT ADDRESS THIS BECAUSE THERE IS A BIT OF A JUSTICE, AN ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE ISSUE HERE WHERE WE NEED TO MAKE SURE THE NEIGHBORHOODS MOST THREATENED BY THIS ACTUALLY GET THE ASSISTANCE AND THE INVESTMENT AND ASSISTANCE THEY NEED.

I WONDER IF THERE WOULD BE ANY NEW LAWS OR SOMETHING PASSED TO GO ALONG WITH THIS TO FORCE PEOPLE BECAUSE, LET'S FACE IT, SPACE IN MANHATTAN IS LIMITED.

IT IS.

AND WE'VE SEEN THINGS HISTORICALLY AROUND REDUCING EMISSIONS BY, FOR EXAMPLE, CHANGING THE KINDS OF FUELS WE USE IN BUILDINGS.

IT WOULD BE GREAT WHERE MAYBE IT'S EVEN INCENTIVES.

HOW CAN WE GIVE BUILDERS AND NEIGHBORHOODS AND PROPERTY OWNERS MORE INCENTIVES TO DO THE RIGHT THING, WHETHER THAT'S THROUGH, LET'S SAY, TAX CREDITS OR OTHER THINGS.

THAT'S WHAT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE.

A POLICY STRUCTURE THAT HELPS PEOPLE MAKE GOOD CHOICES AND MAKES THOSE CHOICES EASIER FOR THEM TO BRING NATURE BACK, DO THINGS LIKE PAINT ROOFS WHITE AND MAKE THE CITY MORE LIVABLE FOR ALL OF US.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING US AGAIN.

IT WAS A PLEASURE.

IT'S ALWAYS GREAT TO BE HERE.

GREAT TO HAVE YOU.

THANK YOU.

> I'M MATT RYAN, MANAGING EDITOR AND HOST OF 'NEW YORK NOW.'

LAST YEAR GOVERNOR CUOMO ANNOUNCED $35 MILLION IN FUNDING WAS AVAILABLE FOR SCHOOL DISTRICTS FOR AN INITIATIVE CALLED THE EMPIRE STATE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM.

IT WAS SPECIFICALLY TARGETED FOR SCHOOLS LOCATED IN COUNTIES WITH A CHILD POVERTY RATE OVER 30%. WE WENT OUT TO ONE OF THE RURAL SCHOOLS IN YEAR ONE OF THE PROGRAM.

THE MOHAWK VALLEY IS A BEAUTIFUL PART OF THE STATE THAT, LIKE MANY UPSTATE AREAS, HAS STRUGGLED OVER THE PAST FEW DECADES.

ONCE PROSPEROUS PLACES SHOWS CLEAR SIGNS OF DECLINE.

ABANDONED BUILDINGS, A FORMER GAS STATION ON THE FOUR CORNERS NOW UP FOR SALE AND A GAZEBO THAT'S SEEN BETTER DAYS.

THE CUOMO ADMINISTRATION DEEMED THE SCHOOL DISTRICT HERE QUALIFIED FOR THE EMPIRE STATE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM.

THEY APPLIED IN JULY, WERE ACCEPTED IN SEPTEMBER AND FIVE WEEKS LATER, THEY BEGAN.

THE RESPONSE FROM THE COMMUNITY WAS A POSITIVE ONE.

WE HAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR 75 STUDENTS.

I AM BOOKED AT 76.

SO BASED ON OUR NEED, I'D SAY ALL THAT HAVE WANTED IT HAVE GOTTEN IT.

THE DISTRICT RUNS THE PROGRAM FROM 3 TO 5 FOR CHILDREN IN K THROUGH 8.

KIDS ARE VERY EXCITED TO COME BECAUSE IT'S VERY NEW AND EXCITING.

EVERY DAY THAT THEY DO COME HERE, EACH KID IS PROVIDED WITH A FREE SNACK.

Reporter: THE REST OF THE DAY CONSISTENTS OF TIME FOR THE KIDS TO JUST BE KIDS.

HAVING FUN INSIDE THE GYM OR OUTSIDE ON THE PLAYGROUND.

AND CLASSTIME WHEN A CERTIFIED TEACHER CONDUCTS A S.T.E.M.-RELATED ACTIVITY.

KIDS HAVE HAD CLASSES ON CODING, AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE AND AN INTRODUCTION TO KARATE.

A LOT OF DEVELOPMENT HAS HAPPENED.

KIDS HAVE GOTTEN MUCH BETTER WITH THEIR HOMEWORK.

THE KIDS HAVE HAD SO MUCH FUN.

WE WENT FROM 42 KIDS STARTING OCTOBER 12th TO 76.

AND LIKE I SAID, WE'RE CAPPED OUT AT 75.

BUT WE HAVE HAD A LOT OF KIDS SIGN UP, AS WELL AS WORD OF MOUTH TO OTHER STUDENTS LETTING THEM KNOW HOW MUCH FUN THEY HAVE HERE AT AFTER SCHOOL AND THE PARENTS REALLY HAVE SEEN A DIFFERENCE IN THEIR CHILDREN.

PRINCIPAL PATTERSON GREEN SAYS IN A RURAL TOWN WHERE A LOT OF MOMS AND DADS BOTH HAVE TO WORK, IT GIVES THEM PEACE OF MIND TO GO ALONG WITH HAVING BETTER ROUNDED STUDENTS.

THE PARENTS HAVE BEEN VERY HAPPY THEIR KIDS HAVE A SAFE PLACE TO BE AFTER SCHOOL.

GETTING SOME HELP ON THEIR HOMEWORK WHEN THEY NEED IT AND HAVING A SAFE PLACE, AN ACTIVE PLACE TO BE RATHER THAN AT HOME FROM FRONT OF THE TV.

THE RURAL PROGRAMS, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THEY'VE SEEN MONEY THAT IS TARGETED DIRECTLY TO THEM.

THEY PREVIOUSLY EITHER MISS OUT ON THESE OTHER RFPs, REQUESTS FOR PROPOSALS BECAUSE THEY MAY NOT HAVE A FULL-TIME GRANT WRITER TO APPLY FOR THEM.

WHILE THE PROGRAM HAS RECEIVED GOOD REVIEWS FROM THE ADMINISTRATORS AND PARENTS THERE IS CONCERN ABOUT THE FUTURE OF OTHER FORMS OF AFTERSCHOOL FUNDING IN THIS YEAR'S BUDGET PROPOSAL.

CHRIS OF THE NETWORK FOR YOUTH SUCCESS NOTES THE EMPIRE STATE SCHOOL PLAN HAS AN ADDITIONAL 10 MILLION PROPOSED IN THIS YEAR'S BUDGET, BUT FUNDING FOR LONGTIME EXISTING ONES WAS REDUCED.

FOR THE ADVANTAGE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM, WE'RE SEEING A POTENTIAL BUDGET CUT.

THIS IS AN ADDITIONAL PROGRAM THAT'S BEEN AROUND SINCE 1999.

AND IT'S FACING A CUT OF ANOTHER $2.5 MILLION.

POTENTIALLY $5 MILLION OVER WHAT THAT LEVEL WAS TWO YEARS AGO.

THAT'S AROUND 3600 STUDENTS ACROSS THE STATE.

A LOT OF THOSE STUDENTS ARE NOT IN AREAS THAT ARE SERVED BY EMPIRE STATE AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAMS CURRENTLY.

THIS NEXT ROUND, ASSUMING $10 MILLION MAKES ITS WAY IN WILL BE ELIGIBLE TO THE COMMUNITY PARTNERS TO APPLY FOR.

IT STILL SEEMS VERY HIGHLY TARGETED.

THERE'S STILL THE PREVIOUS REQUIREMENTS AROUND THE CHILD POVERTY RATE AND AREAS THAT HAVE HIGH STUDENT HOMELESSNESS RATES.

WE'RE STILL FIGURING OUT WHAT THAT MEANS.

WILL THAT OPEN UP TO A LOT MORE?

MOST LIKELY NOT.

WILL IT OPEN TO SOME MORE OF THE ADVANTAGE PROGRAMS?

FOR NOW, THEY ARE HOPING IN THE NEXT MONTH THE GOVERNOR AND THE LEGISLATURE CAN CLOSE THAT $2.5 MILLION CUT FOR THE ADVANTAGE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM.

IN SHARON SPRINGS, THEIR GRANT RUNS FOR THE NEXT FIVE YEARS.

AND ADMINISTRATORS AND PARENTS ARE HAPPY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A DECADE THEIR KIDS NOW HAVE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY AND LEARN FOR A FEW MORE HOURS A DAY.

KEEPS THE MIND STIMULATED.

KEEPS THEM GOING AND THINKING.

HELPS THEM RECOGNIZE THE VALUE OF ACADEMICS AS A GOAL AND DIRECTS THEM FOR THE FUTURE.

AGAIN, RATHER THAN JUST GOING HOME AND SITTING IN FRONT OF THE TV OR COMPUTER OR VIDEO GAMES.

IN NEW YORK CITY, 18 SCHOOL DISTRICTS HAVE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF THIS PROGRAM, INCLUDING SIX IN THE BRONX AND 12 IN BROOKLYN.

FOR 'METROFOCUS,' I'M MATT RYAN.

> NEW CENSUS DATA SHOWS PHILADELPHIA JUST 90 MILES SOUTH OF NEW YORK, REMAINS THE POOREST OF THE LARGE CITIES IN AMERICA.

THE PROBLEM IS ESPECIALLY ACUTE IN THE NORTHERN PHILADELPHIA COMMUNITY IN WHICH RESIDES A LARGELY SEGREGATED POPULATION OF BLACK AMERICANS.

A NEW DOCUMENTARY 'QUEST' AIRING ON PBS' POV IS AN INTIMATE PORT RAT OF A FAMILY CAPTURING THEIR STRUGGLES IN A NEIGHBORHOOD RIDDLED WITH THE SAME ISSUES OF INEQUALITY AND NEGLECT THAT PLAGUED SO MUCH OF AMERICA'S LANDSCAPE POOPTS ALSO A TESTAMENT TO LOVE, HEALING AND HOPE.

TAKE A LOOK.

I LOVE NORTH PHILLY.

THIS IS THE NEIGHBORHOOD WE'VE LIVED IN ALL OUR LIVES.

A LOT OF PEOPLE SAY THE NEIGHBORHOODS WERE TOUGH BUT IT'S REALLY A TOUGH NEIGHBORHOOD.

OUR SPECIAL GUEST TODAY, CHRIS RAINEY, ONE OF PHILADELPHIA'S PREMIER RECORD PRODUCERS.

THESE GUYS WHEN THEY COME IN HERE, ENCOURAGEMENT.

A SENSE OF WORTH.

TURNING INTO A TEENAGER.

LIKE THE COOLEST 5-YEAR-OLD EVER.

WHEN A GUN IS FIRED IN OUR COMMUNITY, IT'S KILLING ALL OF US.

SEEMS LIKE NOBODY CARES ABOUT THIS SECTION OF THE CITY.

ANGER, SADNESS, CONFUSION.

AS A MOM, ALL WE CAN DO IS ROLL WITH THE PUNCHES.

GOT TO SEE SOMEBODY -- THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO FOR MY NEIGHBORHOOD.

NORTH PHILLY.

WE RECORDED THAT WHOLE THING.

THAT WAS ART.

WE PRESENT THIS SEGMENT AS A PART OF OUR INITIATIVE 'CHASING THE DREAM.'

JOINING SUSTHE DOCUMENTARY'S PRODUCER SABRINA SCHMIDT.

THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

THIS IS A VERY COMPELLING STORY ON SO MANY DIFFERENT LEVELS.

HOW DID THIS IDEA COME ABOUT TO SAY, LET'S CHRONICLE THIS FAMILY?

YEAH, ACTUALLY, THE DIRECTOR OF THE FILM, JOHN, HE WAS ACTUALLY TAKING PICTURES OF THE ARTISTS IN THE MUSIC STUDIO THAT WE SEE IN THE FILM.

SO JONATHAN STARTED TO FILM WHEN HE LEARNED QUEST, CHRIS, DELIVERED NEWSPAPERS AND HE WANTED TO FOLLOW HIM ON HIS PAPER ROUTE.

HE DECIDED TO HANG OUT WITH HIM A LITTLE BIT MORE.

A GREAT SHOT OF HIM FLIPPING THOSE PAPERS OVER THE SHOULDER AND LANDS IT EXACTLY ON THE STOOP.

YES.

GIVE US A SENSE OF THIS FAMILY AND WHY THEIR STORY IS SO INTRIGUING.

WELL, I THINK WHAT'S INTERESTING ABOUT THE FAMILY IS THAT ON ONE HAND, THEY ARE AN ORDINARY AMERICAN FAMILY.

BUT THERE'S A WAY IN WHICH WE THINK ABOUT WITH TYPICAL AMERICAN FAMILY AND TYPICAL AMERICAN STORY, WE'RE NOT THINKING ABOUT NORTH PHILADELPHIA.

WE'RE NOT TALKING -- WE'RE NOT THINKING ABOUT FOLKS IN THE COMMUNITY THAT IS DEALING WITH A LOT OF ISSUES LIKE AROUND POVERTY AND THE THINGS THAT COME WITH THAT.

THIS WAS AN OPPORTUNITY REALLY TO CHANGE THE NARRATIVE.

WHAT IS AN AMERICAN FAMILY?

WHAT IS THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE?

AND THAT'S REALLY WHAT MAKES THEM COMPELLING.

THEY ARE A LOVING FAMILY.

BECAUSE WE FILMED OVER TEN YEARS YOU SEE ALL THE THINGS THAT HAPPENED IN THAT COUNTRY INTERSECTING THEIR LIVES IN PERSONAL AND DRAMATIC WAYS.

THE COMMUNITY ITSELF.

ONE OF THE THINGS I WAS STRUCK BY IS THEIR DEEP AFFINITY FOR THIS COMMUNITY.

DID THAT SURPRISE YOU?

IT DIDN'T SURPRISE ME, BUT I THINK -- I CAN SEE HOW IT COULD SURPRISE OTHER FOLKS.

I THINK WHEN WE'RE TALKING ABOUT NORTH PHILADELPHIA AND COMMUNITIES LIKE IT AND THE WAY IN WHICH, YOU KNOW, THEY ARE OFTEN PRESENTED PERHAPS LIKE IN THE NEWS MEDIA AND THINGS LIKE THAT --

THEY SAY THEY ARE RESENTFUL OF THE FACT THEIR COMMUNITY IS ALWAYS DEPICTED IN TERMS OF DRUGS AND VIOLENCE AND POVERTY.

EXACTLY.

AND A WAY IN WHICH IT'S REALLY FORGOTTEN AND NEGLECTED.

THERE'S A SCENE WHERE THEY ARE BEING INTERVIEWED BY A LOCAL REPORTER, AND THE REPORTER DOESN'T EVEN QUITE KNOW WHAT NEIGHBORHOOD HE'S IN.

SO I THINK THERE'S A WAY IN WHICH THEY FEEL SORT OF FORGOTTEN, EXCEPT FOR WHEN THERE'S SOMETHING LIKE A -- YOU KNOW, SOMETHING NEGATIVE TO REPORT.

WHAT THIS FILM DOES IS REINFORCES THE NOTION THAT ALL GREAT STORYTELLING FOCUSES ON THE PEOPLE AT THE CENTER OF THAT STORY.

AND THIS IS, AS I SAID, IT'S COMPELLING.

IT'S REVEALING OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

IT'S JUST A GREAT PIECE OF STORYTELLING.

SABRINA, THANK YOU FOR SPENDING SOME TIME AND TALKING WITH US ABOUT IT.

I'M SURE FOLKS WILL BE REALLY INTERESTED IN WATCHING THIS AFTER THEY WATCHED AND LISTEN TO OUR CONVERSATION.

> POV'S QUEST PREMIERES JUNE 18th ON WNET AT 10:00 P.M.

PLEASE CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS FOR ADDITIONAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES.

> FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS PROVIDED BY -- ♪

Funders

MetroFocus is made possible by James and Merryl Tisch, Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Sylvia A. and Simon B. Poyta Programming Endowment to Fight Anti-Semitism, Bernard and Irene Schwartz, Rosalind P. Walter, Barbara Hope Zuckerberg, Jody and John Arnhold, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Family, Janet Prindle Seidler, Judy and Josh Weston and the Dr. Robert C. and Tina Sohn Foundation.

WNET

© WNET All Rights Reserved.

825 Eighth Avenue

New York, NY 10019