4/20: TIME TO LEGALIZE?

April 21, 2018 at 5:15 am

Is it time to legalize Pot in New York State? Senator Chuck Schumer wants to decriminalize marijuana, what about you?

Aired on April 20, 2018.

Transcript Print

> I WANT IN THIS ROOM I WALK
RIGHT OUT THERE TO TAKE A BIG
HIT OF WHAT I GOT IT GOES RIGHT
AWAY.
WHEN I FIRS GOT DIAGNOSED THAT'S
WHAT SENT ME TO THE DOCTOR TO
THE TRACING EVERYTHING FROM PERK
SET, OX I COULDN'TEN.
I DIDN'T TAKE ONE I WAS TAKING
FIVE TO SIX ENOUGH I COULD SIT
IN THE CORNER AND DROOL FOR FOUR
HOURS BEFORE I GOT TO KNOW WHERE
I WAS.
AND DID IT STOP THE PAIN?
>> NO.
>> NO.
NO.
DOES MARIJUANA STOP THE PAIN
IMMEDIATELY?
NO.
DOES MARIJUANA MAKE IT LIVEABLE?
YES.
>> THAT WAS FORMER TALK SHOW
HOST MONTEL WILLIAMS AT THE A
ARE RECENT BLACK AND PUERTO
RICAN LEGISLATORS.
HE WAS A FEATURED SPEAKER AT A
WORKSHOP ON THE BIFURCATES OF
LEGALIZING MARIJUANA AS A MEANS
TO REDUCE THE MASS INCARCERATION
AND OPIOID PROBLEMS THAT PLAYING
NEW YORK STATE AND THE COUNTRY.
RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA IS NOW
LEGAL IN NINE STATES.
AND WASHINGTON, D.C.
SO COULD NEW YORK SOON FOLLOW?
WELL STATE LAWMAKERS LIKE OUR
NEXT GUESS ASSEMBLY WOMAN
CRYSTAL PEOPLE STOKES HAVE
PROPOSED A BILL LEGALIZING
MARIJUANA IN ADDITION TO TAXING
AND REGULATING IT LIKE WE DO
ALCOHOL BECAUSE THEY BELIEVE
THAT ITS BENEFITS GO BEYOND
KMALD USE.
ASSEMBLY WOMAN WELCOME TO YOU.
THANKS FOR JOINING US.
LET ME LOOK AT YOUR PROPOSAL
HERE.
MAYBE WE CAN BREAK IT DOWN TO
THREE COMPONENTS.
TALK ABOUT SOCIAL, MEDICAL.
>> OKAY.
>> AND ECONOMIC IF WE COULD.
ALL RIGHT LET'S START WITH THE
SOCIAL NOTION.
AND WHAT I MENTIONED AT THE TOP,
THERE IS A SUGGESTION HERE THAT
THE LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA
WOULD HAVE A SIGNIFICANT
POSITIVE IMPACT ON INCARCERATION
RATES AND CERTAINLY ON -- ON THE
ARREST RATES WITH REGARD TO
MINORITY COMMUNITIES.
WHY DO YOU FEEL THAT'S SO?
>> YES.
BECAUSE IF YOU LOOK AT THE DATA
THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE IN
AMERICA AND NEW YORK STATE
SMOKING MARIJUANA.
BUT IT'S ONLY BLACK AND BROWN
PEOPLE THAT ARE ARRESTED AND/OR
INCARCERATED FOR MARIJUANA.
>> WHEN YOU SAY ONLY, OBVIOUSLY
I THINK YOU'RE MAKING A
GENERALIZATION HERE.
I UNDERSTAND IT.
BUT WHAT WOULD YOU SAY.
>> IN GENERAL BECAUSE THE
NUMBERS ARE SO DISPARITY YOU'D
HAVE TO SAY IT THAT WAY.
>> WE MENTIONED THE
INCARCERATION RATES AS YOU KNOW
AS MANY VIEWERS KNOW NEW YORK IS
TAKING A HARD LOOK AT THAT ISSUE
AND SEE WHAG CAN BE DONE TO
REDUCE INCARCERATION RATES?
AND STILL PROVIDE SAFETY FOR THE
PUBLIC OF COURSE.
SO.
>> EXACTLY.
>> WHAT ARE THE THOUGHTS THEN
AMONG YOU AND THE OTHER SPONSORS
AND THE SUPPORTERS AS TO THE
IMPACT THAT LEGALIZATION COULD
HAVE ON INCARCERATION RATES?
>> WELL, MY SPONSOR IS SENATOR
LIZ KRUGER FROM MANHATTAN.
AND WE BELIEVE THAT IF MARIJUANA
IS LEGALIZED FOR ADULT USE THAT
THERE WILL BE NO NEED TO
CONTINUE ARRESTS AND/OR NARTING
PEOPLE FOR SMALL AMOUNTS OF
MARIJUANA.
THE BILL WOULD PROVIDE FOR
PEOPLE TO GROW SIX PLANTS AT
HOME.
IT WOULD ONLY BE AVAILABLE FOR
PEOPLE OVER THE AGE OF 21.
AND CERTAINLY YOU WOULD HAVE TO
HAVE ID TO PROVE THAT.
AND IN STATES WHERE THEY'VE
ALREADY LEGALIZED YOU SEE YOUTH
NUMBERS GOING DOWN BECAUSE OF
THE WAYS THAT IT'S AVAILABLE TO
THEM.
YOU DON'T SEE INCREASES IN CAR
ACCIDENTS.
YOU DON'T SEE INCREASES IN
CRIME.
AS A MATTER OF FACT YOU SEE
DECREASES IN CRIME BECAUSE NOW
LAW ENFORCEMENT HAS MORE
OPPORTUNITY TO DO REGULATOR
INVESTIGATORY POLICE ATTENTION
AS OPPOSED TO TO STOPPING AND
FRISKING.
>> LET'S TALK ABOUT THE MEDICAL
EXPONENT OF THIS AND WE
MENTIONED THE IDEA OF THE IMPACT
IT COULD HAVE ON THE OPIOID
CRISIS.
>> WELL THERE'S BEEN ARTICLES IN
THE JOURNAL OF MEDICINE THAT
REALLY STATES THAT PERHAPS 25%
OF PEOPLE WHO ARE OPIOID
ADDICTED COULD RECOVER IF THEY
HAVE ACCESS TO MARIJUANA.
YOU KNOW NEW YORK STATE ALREADY
HAS MEDICINAL MARIJUANA.
BUT OPIOID TREATMENT IS NOT ONE
OF THE SERVICES THAT YOU CAN USE
MEDICINAL MARIJUANA FOR.
>> SO IF INDEED THIS WERE TO
BECOME LAW IN NEW YORK, WOULD
YOU SEE THEN A COMPANION
APPROACH, IF YOU WOULD, IN TERMS
OF HELPING PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH
OPIOID AND OPIOID ABUSES AND
ADDICTIONS WHERE THEY WOULD BE
GIVEN SOP ADVICE AND SAY HE LOOK
THIS COULD BE A VEHICLE FOR YOU
TO HELP WITH THAT?
>> EXACTLY.
AS A MATTER OF FACT THERE ARE
NUMBER A NUMBER OF PIECES OF
LEGISLATION IN THE STATE
LEGISLATURE RIGHT NOW THAT WOULD
INCLUDE MARIJUANA AS A TREATMENT
FOR OPIOIDS.
A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE SIMPLY
SELF-MEDICATING ILLEGALLY.
IF WE WERE ABLE TO LEGALIZE AND
REGULATE AND TAX THEN PEOPLE
WOULD BE ABLE TO GET ACCESS TO
IT WITHOUT THE HIGH COST OF
PRESCRIPTIONS WHICH DON'T HAVE
CO-PAYS BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT
COVERED BY INSURANCE AND HAVE
ACCESS TO WHAT THEY NEED TO TO
LIVE A QUALITY OF LIFE.
>> ASSEMBLY WOMAN, THANK YOU SO
MUCH FOR SPEND BEING TIME WITH
US AND HAVING THIS CONVERSATION
AND EXPLAINING THE CONCEPTS
BEHIND THIS BILL.
WE APPRECIATE IT.
WE'LL LOOK FORWARD TO TALKING
WITH YOU AGAIN DOWN THE ROAD AS
THIS MOVES FORWARD.
THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.
>> WE'RE LOOKING FORWARD TO IT
MOVING FORWARD I LOOK FORWARD TO
TALKING TO YOU GENE.
>> YOU BE WELL.