TONIGHT ON METROFOCUS

February 21, 2018 at 5:30 am

In the wake of the tragic school shooting in Parkland, Florida, outrage continues across the nation. A new generation takes the lead in the efforts to spark change both across the country and here in New York. We have the latest. A legal loophole allows New York hospitals to dispose of rape kits after just thirty days. In January 2018, Governor Cuomo proposed extending the amount of time hospitals must retain evidence collected after sexual assault to at least five years. Amanda Nguyen, founder and CEO of Rise and a sexual assault survivor, fights against the mishandling of delicate evidence. She joins us to explain why destroying rape kits at five years instead of 30 days is not nearly enough. MetroFocus contributor Steve Adubato provides a look at Phil Murphy, the new governor of New Jersey. We’ll discuss the road ahead for Governor Murphy and how his tenure will impact us all. Tony award-winning actress Laura Benanti has made a series of appearances on “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” doing comic impressions of First Lady Melania Trump. Now, Benanti and her mother Linda are returning to Feinsteins/54 Below with “The Story Goes On.” The mother-daughter duo join us to talk about their musical journey and political humor.

Aired on February 20, 2018.

Transcript Print

>>> TONIGHT ON METROFOCUS, IT'S
BEEN FIVE YEARS SINCE THE GUNMAN
OPENED FIRE IN THE SANDY HOOK
ELEMENTARY KILLING 20 FIRST
GRADERS AND SIX SCHOOL STAFFERS.
THE DEATH OF THE INNOCENCE LEFT
LAWMAKERS ACROSS THE COUNTRY
LOOKING FOR ANSWERS AND
SOLUTIONS TO PREVENT IT AND
HAPPENING AGAIN.
TONIGHT, WE LOOK BACK AT THAT
DREADFUL DAY AND THE LEGACY, IF
ANY, OF ITS YOUNG MART MARTYRS.

>>> I BET YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO
HAS THE FLU.
ACTRESS JUDITH LIGHT IS HERE
WITH YOUR EFFORTS TO STAY
HEALTHY.
AND SHE SHARES HER HORRIFIC TALE
OF FLU AND WHY SHE'S SO
PASSIONATE ABOUT ITS PREVENTION.
>>> AND DON DOWNTON ABBY, THE
MOVIE.
METROFOCUS STARTS RIGHT NOW.
>>> THIS IS METROFOCUS.

WITH RAFAEL PI RAMON, JACK FORD
AND JANA FLANAGAN.
FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS
PROVIDED BY --

>> ABOUT 20 MINUTES BEFORE
10:00 THIS MORNING OF A
SHOOTING.
IT'S BELIEVED THERE WAS ONE
SHOOTER, A MALE, WHO IS NOW DEAD
AND THE REPORTS WE'RE GETTING
FROM LAW ENFORCEMENT IS THAT OF
THE 26 DEAD, MOST ARE CHILDREN.
>> THAT WAS FIVE YEARS AGO.
GOOD EVENING AND WELCOME TO
"METROFOCUS".
I'M JACK FORD.
IT'S BEEN FIVE YEARS SINCE THE
MASS SHOOTING AT SANDY HOOK
ROCKED THAT SMALL COMMUNITY AND,
INDEED THE NATION.
THE CARNAGE WAS HORRIFIC.
20 FIRST GRADERS AND SIX
SCHOOLWORKERS CAUGHT OFF GUARD
AND MASSACRED.
IN THE FIVE YEARS SINCE, WE HAVE
SEEN OTHER MASSACRES.
THE PULSE NIGHTCLUB IN ORLANDO,
MORE RECENTLY IN LAS VEGAS, YET

THE EVENT AT SANDY HOOK
ELEMENTARY REMAINS A BENCHMARK.
THE CHILLING AFTERMATH AS SEEN
THROUGH THE EYES OF THE VICTIMS'
FAMILIES AND THE COMMUNITY WAS
THE SUNDAY OF A 2016 DOCUMENTARY
TITLED "NEWTOWN."
THEY HAVE BEEN RELENTLESS IN
THEIR PURSUIT TO BEGIN A
NATIONAL CONVERSATION ON THE
ISSUES SURROUNDING GUN REFORM.
THEY ARE STARTED A CAMPAIGN #WE
AREALLNEWTOWN IN NEIGHBORHOODS

ACROSS AMERICA, INCLUDING ONE
COMMUNITY THAT'S DOING ITS OWN
PART TO REMEMBER THE VICTIMS OF
THE TRAGEDY.
THE CITY OF GRINNELL, IOWA, HOME
TOWN OF GRINNELL, COLLEGE.
LET'S TAKE A LOOK.
>> WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE
UNNECESSARY LOSS OF LIFE.
THAT'S WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT.
>> RIGHT FROM THE VERY START OF

OUR CONVERSATION, IT WAS CLEAR
THAT ON THE ISSUE OF GUN RIGHTS,
GUN SAFETY, HAD TO INCLUDE AN
OPEN INVITATION TO MR. PETER
BROWNELL, CURRENT HEAD OF THE
NRA AND OUR NEIGHBOR.
OUR GUEST TONIGHT, MR. DAVID
WHEELER, WHO LOST HIS SON AT
SANDY HOOK, REQUESTED A
ONE-ON-ONE MEETING DURING HIS
VISIT HERE IN GRINNELL TO SEE IF
THERE COULD BE ANY COMMON GROUND
REACH BUT, AGAIN, HE HAS NOT
HEARD BACK.
SO WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOUR
NEIGHBOR WON'T TALK TO YOU?
>> JOINING ME NOW ARE THE SHOW'S
PRODUCERS.
>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING US.
>> I WANT TO ASK YOU ABOUT THE
DOCUMENTARY IN A SECOND BUT WE
WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT THE
FACT -- ALL THREE OF US LOOKED
AND SAID FIVE YEARS.
IN MANY WAYS IT WAS DIFFICULT
FOR US TO IMAGINE THAT FIVE
YEARS HAVE PASSED AND WE TALKED
ABOUT -- AND MARIA, YOU SAID
THIS, IT'S ONE OF THESE THINGS
WHERE YOU ALWAYS WILL REMEMBER
WHERE YOU WERE.
IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE FINDING AS
YOU'RE TRAVELING AROUND THE
COUNTRY, THAT SAME KIND OF
REACTION THAT PEOPLE HAVE?
>> YEAH, I THINK THAT'S TRUE AND
PEOPLE REMEMBER WHERE THEY WERE
AND I THINK THAT'S A GOOD THING.
IT'S WHY WE MADE THE FILM.
WE SHOULD REMEMBER.
WE CAN NEVER FORGET BECAUSE, YOU
KNOW, WE ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE
ULTIMATELY AND WE FELT IT WAS
IMPORTANT TO TELL WHAT HAPPENS
AFTER THE CAMERAS HAVE LEFT
TOWN.
>> TELL ME ABOUT THAT.
BECAUSE YOU -- I'M SURE PEOPLE
WOULD HAVE THOUGHT, OKAY, A
DOCUMENTARY ABOUT NEWTOWN, LET'S
DO THE WHOLE SHOOTING AND FOLLOW
THAT.
BUT YOU DECIDED, LET'S DO A
DIFFERENT STORY.
LET'S DO A STORY AFTERWARDS
THROUGH THE EYES OF THE VICTIMS'
FAMILIES AND THE SURVIVORS.
WHY?
>> WELL, WE BOTH FELT IT WAS THE
ONLY STORY THAT WE WERE
INTERESTED IN TELLING.
IT'S THE MOST SENSITIVE KIND OF
SUBJECT ONE CAN IMAGINE AND
CERTAINLY WE CAN NEVER PUT
OURSELVES IN THE SHOES OF THE
VICTIMS' FAMILY NOR THE
COMMUNITY MEMBERS BUT WE FELT IT

WAS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO
CAPTURE THE STORY OF WHAT REALLY
HAPPENS TO A COMMUNITY WHEN THE
CAMERAS HAVE LEFT.
YOU KNOW, WE HAVE NATIONALLY --
WE MOURN THE LOSSES AFTER THESE
HORRIFIC TRAGEDIES BUT WE MOVE.
WE HAVE TO MOVE ON.
BUT THE COMMUNITY IS LEFT.
THE FAMILIES OF LOVED ONES LOST
AND THE STAKEHOLDERS IN THE
COMMUNITY, LAW ENFORCEMENT,
TEACHERS, THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY,
WHAT HAPPENS, HOW DO THEY MOVE
FORTH AND WE HOPE TO BRING OUR
CAMERAS IN A WAY THAT THEY CAN
TELL THEIR OWN STORY.
>> YOU TALK ABOUT MOVING FORWARD
AND LET ME ASK YOU THIS.
I MENTIONED THE CAMPAIGN "WE ARE
ALL NEWTOWN."
YOU'RE GOING BEYOND BEING
FILMMAKERS AND YOU'RE CONTINUING
TO CARRY THE STORY IN THAT
FASHION.
WHY DID YOU WANT TO DO IT THAT
WAY AND WHY IN THAT WAY?
>> WE WERE INTERESTED IN
BEGINNING TO REALLY TELL A STORY
OF COLLECTIVE GRIEF MORE THAN
ANYTHING ELSE AND I THINK PART
OF IT WAS TO BREAK THROUGH THIS
INEVITABLE DESENSITIZATION THAT
I THINK FIVE YEARS LATER IS EVEN
MORE HEIGHTENED.
THERE'S NO WAY WE CAN ENDURE THE
NEWS OF HOW MANY, OVER 1500 MASS
SHOOTINGS SINCE FIVE YEARS AGO
AND NOT BEGIN TO SHUT DOWN AND I
THINK THAT IS SCARY AND I THINK
PEOPLE REALIZE THAT AND SO PART
OF THE FILM IS TO TAKE THESE 85
MINUTES TO REALLY STAND WITH ONE
COMMUNITY THAT REPRESENTS NOT
SHOOTINGS BUT THE SHOOTINGS THAT
WE KNOW TAKE PLACE EVERY DAY,
YOU KNOW, IN THE HOMICIDES AND
SUICIDES THAT ROCKED THE
COUNTRY.
AND WE REALLY DID IT TO ALSO BE
ABLE TO ASK THE QUESTION, IS
CIVIC DISCOURSE POSSIBLE OVER AN
ISSUE THAT'S BECOME SO
POLITICALLY POLARIZED AND TO
SORT OF TRY TO BREAK BEYOND THAT
DIVIDE.
>> LET'S TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE
BEEN DOING.
HUNDREDS OF THESE GATHERINGS AND
IT COMES BACK TO WHAT YOU SAID,
CIVIC DISCOURSE.
THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE ISSUES
THAT LENDS ITSELF TO REASONED
CONVERSATION, TO THE NOTION OF
WE CAN AGREE TO DISAGREE BUT WE
CAN BE VERY CIVIL ABOUT THAT.
THERE ARE EMOTIONS WRAPPED
AROUND THIS.
SO WHEN YOU FIRST DECIDED TO
SAY, OKAY, LET'S DO THIS, LET'S
DO SOME SCREENINGS AND LET'S
SURROUND THEM WITH CONVERSATIONS
AND I SHOULD MENTION, THESE ARE
NOT JUST PEOPLE ALL IN ONE'S EYE
IN YOUR CONVERSATIONS.
WHAT WERE YOU HOPING YOU'D
ACCOMPLISH?
>> WELL, I AGAIN, TO BRING THE
HUMAN STORY TO COMMUNITIES
AROUND THE COUNTRY WHERE WE ALL
VERY MUCH LOOK THE SAME, WHETHER
IT'S NEWTOWN, CONNECTICUT,
GRINNELL, IOWA, NEW YORK, YOU
REALLY HAVE THE SAME CONCERNS
ABOUT OUR FAMILY'S SAFETY, OUR
COMMUNITY HEALTH, OUR PUBLIC
SAFETY AND RAISING THOSE VOICES
ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO CUT
THROUGH THE POLITICAL
POLARIZATION, AS KIM SAID.
AND WHEN WE HEAR ESPECIALLY FROM
PARENTS WHO HAVE LOST THEIR
KIDS, FROM TEACHERS WHO WERE IN
THE CLASSROOM AT NEWTOWN, FROM
THE EMERGENCY ROOM DOCTOR WHO
DEALT WITH WATCHING HIS
NEIGHBOR'S CHILDREN COME INTO
HIS EMERGENCY ROOM HELPLESS, YOU
KNOW, THIS CUTS THROUGH -- IT
CUTS THROUGH EVERYTHING AND GETS
TO THE HEART OF THE MATTER,
WHICH IS THAT WE ARE ALL
RESPONSIBLE.
WE NEED TO SPEAK UP.
AND IT'S NOT AN ISSUE THAT WE
CANNOT REMEDY.
IT IS AN ISSUE THAT WE CAN
ADDRESS WITH SENSIBLE GUN LAWS.
>> THE TWO OF YOU DO AN
INTERESTING THING AND I WAS
STRUCK BY IT BECAUSE IT'S SORT
OF WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING IN MY
REPORTING ON THIS OVER THE YEARS
AND THAT IS YOU DON'T USE THE
TERM GUN CONTROL.
IN YOUR CONVERSATIONS.
WHY NOT?
>> WELL, I DO CONSIDER MYSELF AN
ACTIVIST NOW FIVE YEARS LATER.
I THINK ONE OF THE RARE THINGS
ABOUT OUR FILM IS BECAUSE IT
LOOKED AT THIS UNIVERSAL,
COLLECTIVE GRIEF.
WE HAVE FOUND THAT WE'VE BEEN

ABLE TO REACH GUN OWNERS AND TO
SORT OF REACH BEYOND THAT CHOIR.
>> THAT BASED ON PART ON HOW YOU
TITLE THE CONVERSATION INSTEAD
OF SAYING THIS IS A CONVERSATION
ABOUT GUN CONTROL, YOU SAY
PREVENTING GUN VIOLENCE?
>> YES.
I THINK THE WORDS MATTER.
I THINK YOU DO ALIENATE A LOT OF
PEOPLE WITH THE WORD CONTROL.
I THINK THAT PART OF THE
CONVERSATION IS IN BEING ABLE
TO, AS DAVID SAID IN A LETTER
THAT HE SENT TO MR. BROWNELL,
IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE THAT HIS
FATHERS OR NEIGHBORS, THAT THERE
ISN'T SOME COMMON GROUND THAT
CAN BE REACHED AND THAT'S GOT TO
BE A STARTING POINT.
>> AND WHAT'S ONE OF THE THINGS
THAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR IN THESE
CONVERSATIONS?
SOME COMMON GROUND?
>> FINDING COMMONALITY.
ABSOLUTELY.
AND WE DO.
WHETHER IT'S FLORIDA, TEXAS,
SOME OF THE TOUGHEST STATES ON A
POLITICAL ISSUE, THERE IS STILL
A COMMONALITY OF COMPASSION AND
CONCERN FOR ONES OWN SAFETY AND
SECURITY OF THEIR LOVED ONES.
>> AND YOU'RE FINDING THAT FROM
PEOPLE WHO WERE DEVOUT GUN
OWNERS.
>> NRA MEMBERS.
>> AND YOU'RE REACHING PEOPLE
LIKE US WITH THIS AND I THINK WE
RARELY HAVE HAD -- I DON'T THINK
WE'VE EVER HAD A SITUATION THAT
GOT --
>> I WAS GOING TO ASK YOU, HAVE
YOU HAD ANY SORT OF EMOTIONAL
EXPLOSIONS IN THESE
CONVERSATIONS?
>> THERE'S BEEN DISAGREEMENT AND
CONCERNS ABOUT CHALLENGES TO THE
SECOND AMENDMENT BUT THAT IS
QUICKLY ABATED IN THE
CONVERSATION AND THAT'S REALLY
THE POINT, THAT IT'S NOT AT ALL
A CHALLENGE TO ONE'S RIGHTS TO
OWN GUNS AND TO, YOU KNOW, USE
THEM WITHIN THE LAW.
BUT ONE CAN'T HELP, AS A GUN
OWNER, AS AN NRA MEMBER, VERY
FEW HAVE REFUTED THE NEED TO BE
SAFER, TO CREATE SAFER CONTROLS.
>> LET ME GO BACK TO GRINNELL
FOR A SECOND.
WE SAW IN THE INTRODUCTION THAT
A LETTER HAD BEEN EXTENDED TO
PETE BROWNELL WHO LIVES AND HAS
HIS GUN COMPANY IN THAT TOWN.
WHAT HAPPENED AS A CONSEQUENCE
OF THAT LETTER?
>> DAVID HAD, AS WE SAID,
REACHED OUT WITH THE IDEA THAT
THEY ARE TWO FATHERS.
THEY ARE NOT JUST -- NEITHER ONE
OF THEM ARE JUST ANY FATHER.
THEY ARE BOTH IN VERY DIFFERENT
SPECIAL POSITIONS.
DAVID, SADLY, IS IN A POSITION
HE NEVER WOULD HAVE CHOSEN BUT
TO HAVE THIS PLATFORM OF BEING A
FATHER OF LOSS AND PETE BROWNELL
IN THE POSITION OF HAVING
ENORMOUS INFLUENCE NOT ONLY NRA
MEMBERS BUT OVER LAWMAKERS.
>> AND YOU MENTIONED THAT HIS
WIFE ACTUALLY DID ATTEND?
>> SHE DID.
THE COMMUNITY -- WE GOT WORD AND
THAT WAS COURAGEOUS OF HER TO
COME AND PAY RESPECT TO THE
COMMUNITY MEMBERS THAT WE HAD
BROUGHT.
THERE WERE SIX OF US WHO
TRAVELED TO GRINNELL, INCLUDING
OUR DOCTOR FRIEND WHO IS A GUN
OWNER.
WE THOUGHT THAT WAS A GOOD
STARTING POINT AND SHE DID
ATTEND NOT ONLY THE SCREENING
BUT THE TOWN HALL.
>> THE FOLLOW-UP THAT YOU'RE
DOING, LET'S HAVE CONVERSATIONS,
CIVIL CIVIC DISCOURSE AND FIND
SOME COMMON GROUND, SOMETHING
THAT'S SO DESPERATELY NEEDED IN
OUR SOCIETY NOW AND IT'S
ENCOURAGING TO SEE THE RESPONSE
AND THE SUCCESSES THAT YOU'VE
HAD.
I THANK YOU BOTH FOR SPENDING
SOME TIME WITH US.
>> THANK YOU.
AND WE WOULD LOVE PEOPLE TO
CHECK OUT WHAT WE'RE DOING AT
NEWTOWNFILM.COM.
>> ALSO, CHECK OUT WHAT THEY'RE
DOING AND IF YOU'D LIKE TO GET
INVOLVED, HOST A SCREENING IN
YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD, GO TO
METROFOCUS.ORG FOR MORE
INFORMATION.
ßß
>> AN ALERT FOR ALL NEW YORKERS
AND EVERYONE IN THE TRI-STRAIGHT
AREA, THE FLU IS SPREADING AND
IN A SIGNIFICANT WAY.
WE SAW MORE THAN 395 CONFIRMED
NEW CASES REPORTED.
STATE HEALTH OFFICIALS IN ALBANY
ARE NOW DESCRIBING THE FLU AS
RUNNING RAMPANT.
IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO GET A DOSE
OF PROTECTION.

OFFICIALS URGE EVERYONE OVER SIX
MONTHS OF AGE TO GET A FLU SHOT
AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
THE VACCINE IS IMPORTANT FOR
PEOPLE WITH HIGH-RISK OF
COMPLICATIONS, INCLUDING
CHILDREN UNDER 2, PREGNANT WOMEN
AND ADULTS OVER THE AGE OF 65.
STATEWIDE THERE HAVE BEEN OVER
1,000 CONFIRMED CASES OF FLU AND
600 WERE HOSPITALIZED.

SIDELINED TWICE IN ONE YEAR
BECAUSE OF THE FLU, SHE'S
SOUNDING THE ALARM FOR SENIORS.
JANA FLANAGAN HAD A CHANCE TO
CATCH UP WITH THE ACTRESS WHO
PROVIDED INSIGHT INTO A FLU
VACCINE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED
FOR THOSE OVER 65 BUT ONE THAT
MANY PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ABOUT AND
SPOKE ABOUT HOW DEADLY THE FLU
CAN BE, WHETHER IT HITS THE
YOUNGS OR THE OLD.
>> A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T KNOW
THAT EVERY FOUR MINUTES SOMEONE
IS HOSPITALIZED BECAUSE OF THE
FLU.
SOMEONE 65 OR OLDER IS
HOSPITALIZED BECAUSE OF THE FLU.
EVERY 12 MINUTES, SOMEBODY 65
AND OLDER DIES FROM THE FLU.
THAT'S NOT MEANT TO SCARE
ANYBODY.
IT'S MEANT TO MAKE PEOPLE
PROACTIVE IN RELATED TO GETTING
THEIR FLU SHOT.
IT'S EASIER NOW THAN EVER
BEFORE.
PEOPLE ARE AVAILABLE TO DO THAT.
GO INTO YOUR PHARMACY AND ASK
YOUR PHARMACIST FOR THE FLU SHOT
IF YOU'RE 65 AND OLDER AND YOU
CAN GET IT.
THE REAL TRUTH OF IT IS, AS YOU
AGE -- AND WE'VE BEEN TALKING
ABOUT AGE RECENTLY, WHEN YOU
TALK ABOUT AN IMMUNE SYSTEM THAT
IS AN AGING IMMUNE SYSTEM, IT
BEGINS TO WEAKEN.
THAT'S JUST THE NATURAL FACT.
SO YOU WANT TO DO EVERYTHING
THAT YOU POSSIBLY CAN TO REALLY
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND THAT'S
ONE OF THE THINGS THAT YOU CAN
DO TO REALLY MAKE SURE THAT
YOU'RE TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF.
AND IF YOU'RE YOUNGER, YOU CAN
MAKE SURE THAT YOU TAKE CARE --
LIKE YOU HAVE YOUR PARENTS.
>> ABSOLUTELY.
>> ARE THEY 65 AND OLDER?
>> OH, YES.
>> OKAY.
SO YOU REALLY WANT TO MAKE SURE
THEY'RE GETTING THEIR FLU SHOT
AS WELL.
SO THAT'S WHY I WANTED TO TALK
ABOUT IT, BECAUSE IT'S
PREVENTIBLE AND IT'S REALLY EASY
ENOUGH TO DO AND HAVE YOU COME
DOWN WITH THE FLU?
>> I HAVE FOR THE ONE YEAR I DID
NOT GET IT AND THAT'S A MISTAKE
I WILL NOT MAKE AGAIN.
>> YOU SEE, THAT'S WHAT I'M
TALKING ABOUT.
WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT IS NOT
JUST NOT HERE LIKE YOUR MOTHER
SAYING, YOU GET YOUR FLU SHOT.
I'M TALKING ABOUT WHAT IT MEANS
TO BE TAKING CARE OF YOUR
WELL-BEING.
AND TAKING CARE OF THE OTHERS IN
YOUR SURROUNDINGS THAT NEED
TAKEN CARE OF.
>> SHOULD WE HAVE YOU THE FLU
SHOT AS ANOTHER FORM OF
SELF-CARE, THEN?
>> THERE'S NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.
THAT'S BRILLIANT.
THAT'S ABSOLUTELY THE GREATEST
CONTEXT THAT YOU COULD CREATE
FOR THAT.
IT IS ABOUT SELF-CARE.
LOOK, I HAD THE FLU TWICE IN ONE
YEAR WHEN I DIDN'T GET THE FLU
SHOT.
I -- AND I JUST SAID, WAIT A
MINUTE, WHAT ARE WE DOING?
THIS IS SILLY.
I WANTED TO BE OF SERVICE TO
OTHER PEOPLE AND SAY I JUST WANT
TO REMIND YOU TO TAKE CARE OF
YOURSELF AND TAKE CARE OF THOSE
YOU LOVE AND THOSE AROUND YOU.
>> WE HAVE THIS THING CALLED
HERD IMMUNITY.
EVERYONE AROUND ME GOT A FLU
SHOT SO IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL IF I
DON'T.
>> WHY BE THE PERSON WHO GIVES
ANYBODY ELSE THE FLU?
WHY BE THAT ONE PERSON?
I MEAN, YES, OKAY, THERE'S HERD
IMMUNITY.
I DON'T KNOW A LOT ABOUT THAT.
I CAN'T SPEAK TO THAT.
BUT WHAT I CAN SAY IS, BE
RESPONSIBLE TO YOURSELF AND TO
OTHER PEOPLE.
I MEAN, I'M IN A BUSINESS WHERE
I'M AROUND PEOPLE ALL THE TIME.
SO ARE YOU.
>> UH-HUH.
>> AND MOST PEOPLE ARE.
AND LOOK, NONE OF US CAN AFFORD
TO BE OFF FROM WORK.
I CAN'T AFFORD TO BE OFF FROM
WORK.
DO YOU WANT TO MISS THINGS?
YOU'VE GOT A WHOLE SEASON OF
HOLIDAYS COMING UP.
AND YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS ALL
OF THAT.
AND, REALLY, THERE IS THIS
SPECIFIC VACCINE THAT'S MADE FOR
PEOPLE WHO ARE 65 AND OLDER AND
NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT
IT AND THAT'S WHY IT'S IMPORTANT
TO TALK ABOUT IT.
IF YOU HAVE HEART DISEASE,
DIABETES, ASTHMA, YOU'RE MUCH
MORE LIKELY TO GET IT.
WHY DIE FROM SOMETHING THAT'S SO
PREVENTIBLE?

I THINK THAT'S AN IMPORTANT
QUESTION.
>> CERTAINLY, ESPECIALLY AS
AMERICANS IN THAT GREATEST
INDUSTRIALIZED NATION, WHY DIE
FROM SOMETHING THAT IS
PREVENTIBLE.
>> AND WE'RE LIVING IN VERY
TUMULTUOUS TIMES THERE.
ARE A LOT OF THINGS WE CAN'T DO
ANYTHING ABOUT BUT THIS IS
SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN DO
SOMETHING ABOUT.
SO WHY WOULDN'T YOU DO IT?
I KNOW WE'RE BUSY.
YOU'RE BUSY.
WE'RE ALL DOING EVERYTHING THAT
WE'RE DOING.
BUT THERE'S A THOUGHTFULNESS AND
THE SELF-CARE ASPECT THAT YOU'RE
TALKING ABOUT THAT I THINK IS SO
VITALLY IMPORTANT.
WE CAN DO SOMETHING TO TAKE CARE
OF OURSELVES.
>> ALL RIGHT.
LISTEN, I THINK ALL OF OUR
VIEWERS SHOULD GET THE FLU SHOT
REGARDLESS OF YOUR AGE.
JUDITH LIGHT, THANK YOU.
>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.
I REALLY APPRECIATE THE
CONVERSATION.
LET'S DO IT AGAIN.
>> ABSOLUTELY.
>> OKAY.
>> YOU AND I DIFFER WHEN IT
COMES TO THE IMPORTANCE OF
THINGS.
>> DOES IT EVER GET COLD ON THE
MORAL HIGH GROUND?
>> THINGS.
THINGS.
THINGS.
>> YOU'VE BEEN READING THOSE
COMMUNIST NEWSPAPERS AGAIN.
>> NOBODY HAS SHARP EYES MORE
THAN A LOVING SON.
>> YOU READ THAT SOMEWHERE.
>> WHY DO YOU THINK I'D EVER
MAKE ANYTHING UP?
>> YOUR TURN WILL COME.
>> WILL IT?
>> IT'S VERY MIDDLE CLASS.
>> SO COULD THERE BE A FAMILY
REUNION AT DONTOWN ABBEY WHICH
DEPICTED THE LIFE OF THE CRAWLEY
FAMILY AND ENDED ITS RUN IN THE
2015 BY SHOWING THE RISE OF THE
WORKING CLASS AND HINTING
TOWARDS THE DECLINE OF THE
BRITISH AND FANS MAY GET TO SEE
MORE SCANDALS AND LOVE AND
AMBITION AND HEARTBREAK SINCE A
DONTOWN ABBEY MOVIE COULD BE
FILMING IN 2018.
WHAT CAN WE EXPECT?
HERE TO GIVE US THE LATEST IS
THE ENTERTAINMENT EDITORIAL
DIRECTOR OF HUFF POST, LAUREN
MORASKY.
>> IT'S GREAT TO BE HERE.
>> WHAT WAS YOUR REACTION WHEN
YOU HEARD ABOUT THE MOVIE?
>> I WAS EXCITED.
AS A BIG FAN, I WAS EXCITED TO
HEAR THIS NEWS.
HOWEVER, I FELT LIKE IT WAS
WRAPPED UP PRETTY NICELY IN A
BOW.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
>> I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT.
MY FIRST REACTION WAS, GREAT, A
MOVIE.
THEN MY NEXT REACTION WAS, DO I
REALLY WANT A MOVIE?
BECAUSE I LOVE HOW IT WORKED OUT
AND EVERYTHING WAS WRAPPED UP
NICELY IN THE END.
LET'S GO BACK TO THE BEGINNING.
WHAT EXACTLY DO WE KNOW ABOUT
THIS?
>> WE DON'T KNOW MUCH.
WE DO KNOW THAT THEY SAID THAT
THEY WERE GOING TO BE STARTING
TO SHOOT IN 2018.
HOWEVER, SOME OF THE CAST
MEMBERS AREN'T EVEN AWARE OF
THAT SO THEY ANNOUNCED THIS AT A
EXHIBITION SINGAPORE WHERE THEY
HAVE BEEN HIGHLIGHTING THE
ARTIFACTS AND CLOTHING, ET
CETERA AND THEY SAID, OKAY,
WE'RE WORKING ON A SCRIPT AND WE
DON'T KNOW WHO IS GOING TO BE A
PART OF IT BUT WE'D IDEALLY LIKE
TO HAVE 20 CAST MEMBERS RETURN.
THE TRICK OF IT IS THAT ALL OF
THESE CAST MEMBERS HAVE MOVED ON
TO DO OTHER THINGS.
>> THEY ARE DOING FILMS AND
SERIES.
SO THE IDEA OF ORCHESTRATING THE
ROUND-UP, IF YOU WOULD, OF ALL
OF THIS SEEMS TO ME TO BE FAIRLY
DAUNTING.
>> IT'S GOING TO BE DAUNTING AND
CHALLENGING TO GET EVERYBODY
INVOLVED AND SOME OF THEM
HAVEN'T EVEN TALKED TO THEIR
AGENTS.
ONE OF THE ACTORS SAID, WAIT,
YOU'VE GOT TO TALK TO MY AGENT
FIRST BECAUSE I DON'T EVEN KNOW
THAT THIS IS HAPPENING BUT I
THINK THEY ARE ALL ON BOARD TO
HAVE IT HAPPEN WHEN IT WILL
HAPPEN.
>> SO THE SENSE IS -- AND I'VE
HEARD SOME PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT
THIS.
THE SENSE THAT I GOT IS THAT
THEY WOULD BE ON BOARD?
>> ABSOLUTELY.
THEY SAID TIME AND TIME AGAIN IN
THE PRESS, WE'D LOVE TO HAVE IT
AND CALL US UP AND WE'LL
ORGANIZE IT.
THE SERIES IS SO BELOVED, OF
COURSE, AND EVEN THOUGH IT DID
END ON HAPPY NOTE, I THINK THERE
WAS STILL SOME TERRITORY TO
EXPLORE.
>> BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY, YOU KNOW,
IT THRIVES ON CONFLICT.
>> UH-HUH.
>> AND ON TRAGEDY, WE SAW THE
LOSSES DURING THE COURSE OF THE
SIX SEASONS OF SOME BELOVED MAIN
CHARACTERS HERE AND I'M
WONDERING HOW THEY COULD RATCHET
IT UP WHEN EVERYTHING WAS SO
NICE AT THE END.
>> AFTER THEY LOST MATTHEW,
EVERYONE WAS LIKE, HOW ARE WE
GOING TO WATCH IT AGAIN OR LADY
SYBIL.
>> THAT WAS A TOUGH SCENE TO
WATCH.
ONE THING I'M CURIOUS ABOUT IS
WHETHER THE ACTRESS MAGGIE SMITH
WILL COME BACK.
>> SHE'S SAID SOME THINGS ABOUT
IT IN THE PAST.
>> EXACTLY.
SHE SAID THAT, YOU KNOW, I'M
OLD.
I'M IN MY '80s.
AT WHAT POINT WILL THEY RETURN?
THE '30s?
PREWORLD WAR II?
AND MAGGIE IS LIKE, HOW CAN THEY
MAKE ME ANY OLDER?
SO THAT'S ALSO AN INTERESTING
QUESTION, WHAT YEAR WILL THIS
TAKE PLACE AND HOW OLD WILL THE
CHARACTERS BE?
WE DEFINITELY SAW INTERESTING
THINGS IN TERMS OF BABIES BEING
BORN OR ABOUT TO BE BORN.
SO WITH ANA AND BATES AND LADY
MARY.
THE ESTATE ITSELF, WHAT'S THE
FUTURE OF THAT SO I'M ACTUALLY
CURIOUS TO SEE WHAT THEY DO WITH
THIS AND HAVE IT TO BE COMPACTED
IN ONE HOUR AND A HALF, TWO-HOUR
SHOW.
>> THEY'VE BEEN AN EXPANSE OF
YEARS?
>> THAT'S A REALLY GOOD
QUESTION, TOO.
IT REMINDS ME OF THE CHRISTMAS
SPECIAL.
THEY HAVE TO PACK A LOT INTO
THEIR CHRISTMAS SPECIALS.
THAT'S THE UK THING TO DO.
MAYBE THEY'LL APPROACH IT THAT
WAY AS WELL.
>> IT'S INTERESTING.
I DON'T KNOW YOUR THOUGHT.
LET ME TOSS IT OUT AND SEE WHAT
YOU THINK.
I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT IT ALMOST
FELT LIKE THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE
ONLY GOING TO GET TWO SEASONS
BECAUSE IT CAN GO A LONG TIME
AND I KIND OF WISHED THAT THEY
HADN'T RUSHED THROUGH THE 1912,
13, 14, WORLD WAR I ERA.
I THOUGHT THERE WOULD BE SO MUCH
IN THERE.
AGAIN, THEY PROBABLY DIDN'T
REALIZE THEY WERE GOING TO GO
SIX SEASONS.
>> I AGREE WITH THAT AND EVERY
YEAR THEY KEPT RENEWING IT AND
RENEWING IT AND WATCHING IT HERE
IN THE STATES A LITTLE LATER, WE
GOT HINTS OF WHAT IT WAS ABOUT
AND EVERYTHING.
I ALSO THINK IT'S REALLY
INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT THEY DO
WITH THE ESTATE AND ALSO THE
CLOTHING THAT WE'LL SEE AS THE
TIME GOES BY.
>> IT GIVES US SOMETHING TO LOOK
FORWARD TO.
>> AGREE.
>> WE LEARN MORE AND MAYBE COME
BACK AND VISIT US AND WE CAN
SORT OF FLESH OUT WHAT'S GOING
TO HAPPEN WITH THE MOVIE.
IN THE MEANTIME, WE CAN LIVE OFF
THE ANTICIPATION OF IT.
>> LOOK FORWARD TO IT.
THANK YOU.
>> LAUREN, PLEASURE.
YOU BE WELL.
>> YOU, TOO.
>>> AND BEFORE WE SAY GOOD
NIGHT, WE OFFER YOU A GIFT.
NOW YOU CAN TAKE "METROFOCUS"
WITH YOU.
DOWNLOAD THE "METROFOCUS" APP
AND IT'S ALL JUST A CLICK AWAY.
DID WE MENTION THAT IT'S FREE?
IN THE MEANTIME, REMEMBER TO
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AND
TWITTER FOR UP-TO-THE-MINUTE
INFORMATION FOR AFFECTING OUR
COMMUNITY.
WE'LL SEE YOU AGAIN TOMORROW.
>>> THIS PROGRAM WAS PROVIDED
BY -- CORPORATE FUNDING FOR
"METROFOCUS WAS WAS PROVIDED BY
MUTUAL OF AMERICA AND PSG & E,
SERVING CUSTOMERS, STRENGTHENING
THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY AND
INVESTING IN THE FUTURE.