TONIGHT ON METROFOCUS

As the President reflected on his first year in office, this weekend protesters nationwide took to the streets as the government shut down. Today, the shutdown ends with a compromise to fund the government through February 8th. And from Washington to Albany, Governor Cuomo’s former aide Joseph Percoco heads to trial on charges of federal corruption. Could this trial expose an ugly underbelly in our state capitol? Executive editor of City Limits Jarrett Murphy gives us the rundown on the latest in politics. The number of homeless New Yorkers hits an all-time high, as many turn away from the city’s shelters, opting instead for the streets of Manhattan. Former City Council speaker and homeless advocate Christine Quinn is here with the details. In recent years tensions between the police and the public in the U.S. have escalated. “The Force,” offers a look at the Oakland Police Department, one of the country’s most embattled police forces, during efforts at major reform after decades of troubled community relations. Filmmaker Peter Nicks brings us inside the Oakland PD’s efforts to rebuild its image as it continues to face challenges and scandal.

Aired on January 22, 2018. 

TRANSCRIPT

> TONIGHT, ON 'METROFOCUS,' AS THE PRESIDENT REFLECTS ON A YEAR IN OFFICE, NATIONALLY, PROTESTERS TOOK TO THE STREETS AS THE GOVERNMENT SHUT DOWN.

WE'VE GOT A REACTION.

LOCALLY, GOVERNOR CUOMO'S FORMER AIDE, JOSEPH ROCOCO HEADS TO TRIAL ON FEDERAL CORRUPTION CHARGES.

COULD THIS DISCLOSE AN UNDERBELLY?

HOMELESSNESS HITS AN ALL-TIME HIGH AS MANY TURN AWAY FROM SHELTERS, OPTING INSTEAD FOR ANY STREET IN MANHATTAN.

> AND A FLY ON THE WALL LOOK AT ONE OF THE COUNTRY'S MOST EMBATTLED POLICE FORCES.

FOCUSSING ON REFORM BUT EMBROILED IN SCANDAL.

AND AT A TIME WHEN THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN OFFICERS ON THE BEAT AND THE PUBLIC IS TENSE.

THOSE STORIES AND MORE ON 'METROFOCUS' RIGHT NOW.

> THIS IS 'METROFOCUS.'

WITH RAFAEL PI RAMON, JACK FORD AND JENNA FLANIGAN.

FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS PROVIDED BY CORPORATE FUNDING WAS PROVIDED BY MUTUAL OF AMERICA.

YOUR RETIREMENT COMPANY, AND BY PSE&G, SERVING CUSTOMERS, STRENGTHEN BEING THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY AND INVESTING IN THE FUTURE.

> NEGOTIATING WITH THIS WHITE HOUSE IS LIKE NEGOTIATING WITH JELL-O.

IT'S NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE.

NEW YORK SENATOR AND SENATE MAJORITY LEADER CHUCK SCHUMER, BLASTING PRESIDENT TRUMP OVER THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN THIS WEEKEND.

GOOD EVENING AND WELCOME TO 'METROFOCUS.'

I'M JENNA FLANAGAN.

SCHUMER LABELING THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF AS UNTRUSTWORTHY AND TAKING A SHOT AT THE PRESIDENT WHO IS KNOWN FOR THE ART OF THE DEAL.

THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN ALSO MARKED AN INAUSPICIOUS BEGINNING TO PRESIDENT TRUMP'S SECOND YEAR IN OFFICE.

A STECOND YEAR THAT WAS MET LIK THE FIRST BY NATIONWIDE PROTESTS AS MILLIONS OF PEOPLE TURNED OUT FOR A NEW ROUND OF WELL'S MAR -- WOMEN'S MARCHES ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

THEY TOOK TO THE STREETS TO DEMAND EQUAL TREATMENT AS WELL AS SOCIAL AND POLITICAL CHANGE.

THIS YEAR, MORE THAN 200,000 PEOPLE MARCHED IN NEW YORK.

THE PROTESTS GATHERING FRESH MOMENTUM FROM THE ME TOO MOVEMENT AND THE UPCOMING MIDTERM ELECTIONS, AND FROM THE NATIONAL TO THE LOCAL.

NEW YORK REPUBLICANS ARE READYING A NEW LINE OF ATTACKS AGAINST GOVERNOR ANDREW CUOMO AT FEDERAL TRIAL OF ONE OF HIS LONG-TIME AIDE KICKS OFF IN MANHATTAN.

JOSEPH ROCOCO IS CHARGED WITH TAKING BRIBES.

GOVERNOR CUOMO HIMSELF IS NOT SUSPECTED OF WRONGDOING, BUT IT COULD COMPLICATE HIS RUN FOR A THIRD TERM.

FIRST, HE WANT TO GET INTO, WE ARE NOW AT THE ONE-YEAR BENCHMARK FOR THE TRUMP PRESIDENCY.

AND IN THAT YEAR, WE'VE SEEN INFIGHTING WITHIN THE PARTY.

WE'VE SEEN FIGHTING WITH DEMOCRATS.

WE'VE SEEN A RISE OF A MOVEMENT CALLING I CALLING ITSELF THE RESISTANCE, AND NOW ON THE ANNIVERSARY WE HAVE A SHUTDOWN.

IS THIS WHAT WE'RE GOING TO SEE AS THE LEGACY OF THE TRUMP PRESIDENCY?

SHUTDOWNS ARE FAIRLY RARE.

PRESIDENT CLINTON HAD A SHUTDOWN, HE ENDED UP USING THAT TO HIS ADVANTAGE.

PRESIDENT OBAMA HAD A SHUTDOWN AND IT ENDED UP WORKING TO HIS OPPONENT'S ADVANTAGE.

WHAT'S INTERESTING IS THAT SOME OF THE THINGS YOU HAVE TALKED ABOUT THAT HAVE DOGGED PRESIDENT TRUMP SENSE HE-- SINCE HE WAS A PRESIDENT-ELECT, THEY GET WRAPPED INTO THIS AND HIS ABILITY TO COMMAND HIS OWN PARTY AND HIS OWN WHITE HOUSE STAFF.

THERE'S REPORTINGS OF DISSENSION THERE.

BEING HELD BACK BY HARDLINERS IN THE ADMINISTRATION, THE QUESTION ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT HE HAS THE INDEPENDENT INDEPENDENT OF IDEOLOGY TO CUT A DEAL, WHICH IS SUPPOSEDLY HIS STOCK IN TRADE.

ALL OF THAT GETS TIED UP INTO THIS.

IN THE LAST ADMINISTRATION, ONCE WE SAW THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT GO INTO EXISTENCE, WE SAW THE EMERGENCE OF THE TEA PARTY.

DOES IT LOOK LIKE THE WOMEN'S MOVEMENT, WHICH HAS BEGUN TO PUT FORWARD A VERY PROGRESSIVE POLITICAL PLATFORM HAVE THE ABILITY TO HAVE A SIMILAR EFFECT WHEN IT COMES TO 2018?

IT CERTAINLY IS GOING TO HAVE AN IMPACT ON THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY.

THE WHOLE QUESTIONS ABOUT EITHER OF THESE MOVEMENTS, YOU HAVE A COUNTRY THAT IS SO SHARPLY DIVIDED.

IT TRULY IS A 51/49 COUNTRY.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE THE ABILITY TO APPEAL LIKE TRUMP DID TO DISAFFECTED VOTERS, DOES IT HAVE THE ABILITY TO COMMAND A LARGER CONSENSUS THAN THIS SPLIT.

WHAT'S INTERESTING ABOUT THE WOMEN'S MOVEMENT, IF YOOF YOU APPEAL TO WOMEN, I'M NOT SURE THAT HAS PROJECTED A MESSAGE THAT'S GOING TO APPEAL TO HOUSEWIVES IN OHIO AND WEST VIRGINIA.

THAT'S GOT TO BE THE GOAL.

I'M SURE IT IS THEIR GOAL, AND IT DEPEND THS ON WHETHER THEY C STICK TO BREAD AND BUTTER ISSUES.

SO A CHALLENGE FOR BOTH SIDES, FOR THE MOVEMENT AND FOR THE MODE EDIA.

BUT PICKING UP ON WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT THE COUNTRY BEING CULTURALLY DIVIDED.

IT SEEMS THAT THE MESSAGE WE HEAR COMING OUT OF WASHINGTON IS VERY SPECIFICALLY DIRECTED AT THE HARDLINERS FOR BOTH PARTIES, THE FAR LEFT, THE FAR RIGHT, IS THAT CORRECT?

.

DEFINITELY THE IDEOLOGICAL WINGS OF THE PARTY ARE MORE INVOLVED IN THE FIGHT.

THAT'S PART OF THE TENSION IN BOTH PARTIES, FOLKS WHO WANT TO CUT A DEAL TO KEEP THE GOVERNMENT GOING, AVOID THE MESS OF THE SHUTDOWN AND FOLKS WHO WANT TO DEAL WITH THE IMMIGRATION ISSUE.

SO I THINK THAT THAT TENSION IS REALLY THERE.

IT IS, I THINK, RISKY FOR THE DEMOCRATS TO BE SHUTTING THE GOVERNMENT DOWN TO DEFEND UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS.

MAYBE NOBLE, BUT CERTAINLY POLITICALLY RISKY.

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHETHER THEY CAN CREATE A PICTURE OF THE PRESIDENT SAID HE WANTED TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE.

HE HASN'T ADDRESSED IT, WE HAVE TO DO THIS.

THIS IS IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO SHUT THE GOVERNMENT DOWN.

I THINK THAT HAPPENS AFTER THE SHUTDOWN.

THIS IS WHY IT HAPPENED.

THIS IS THE EFFECT IT HAD.

WITH ALL OF THIS TALK OF THE GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN, THERE'S ONE NAME THAT KEEPS COMING UP, IT'S NOT THE PRESIDENT AND IT'S NOT A LAW MAKER.

IT'S STEVEN MILLER THE PRESIDENT'S CHIEF AIDE FOR IMMIGRATION POLICY.

WHAT ROLE IS HE PLAYING IN ALL THIS?

THAT IS INTERESTING.

HE'S ONE OF THE HARDLINERS WHO SUPPOSEDLY HAS DRAWN THE PRESIDENT BACK FROM THE BRINK OF MAKING A DEAL.

I WONDER HOW LONG HIS MAIMNAME IT STAY IN THE NEWS.

IF YOU ARE MILLER, KNOWING HOW TRUMP LIKES TO HAVE THE HEADLINES, HE IS THE MAN OF THE MOMENT, AND WE'LL HAVE TO SEE IN THE END WHETHER HE PREVAILS OVER THE PRESIDENT AND OTHER MODERATES AND PRAG MATIC FOLKS TELL HIM NOW'S A TIME TO MAKE A CALL TO CHUCK SCHUMER AND END THIS THING.

> WE HAVE A TRIAL THAT'S GOING TO BE COMING UP, AND THAT'S WITH THE GOVERNOR'S FORMER AIDE, JOE ROCOCO.

A FORMER AIDE.

LONG-TIME AIDE.

SOME WOULD DESCRIBE HIM AS AN ENFORCER FOR THE GOVERNOR, WORKED FOR THE GOVERNOR'S FATHER, WORKED WITH ANN DREW CUO IN HUD.

HE IS CHARGED WITH TAKING BRIBES FROM THOSE WHO WANTED BUSINESS WITH THE STATE, A POWER COMPANY, EMPLOYING HIS WIFE, WANTED SOME HELP GETTING CREDITS AND SOME STATE FINANCING FOR A POWER PLANT UPSTATE AND ALSO A COMPANY THAT WANTED TO DEVELOP SOME LAND IN SYRACUSE.

THERE'S ALSO A RELATED TRIAL, SECOND ONE SCHEDULED FOR JUNE, INVOLVING THE HEAD OF SUNNI POLYTECHNIC.

OVERLAPS THERE IN TERMS OF THE COMPANIES INVOLVED AND OVERLAPS, TOO, IN THAT THE STAR WITNESS IS TODD HOWELL WHO HAS TURNED STATE'S EVIDENCE AND WILL BE A KEY WITNESS AGAINST BOTH ROCOCO AND ALL THE BUSINESS EXECUTIVES THAT ARE ALSO INDICTED.

WITH ALL THESE TRIALS GOING ON WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE VERY CLOSE WITHIN THE GOVERNOR'S INNER CIRCLE, DOES ANY OF IT TOUCH THE GOVERNOR?

IS THERE A CHANCE HE COULD GET INDICTED?

SO FAR HE HAS NOT BEEN CHARGED WITH A CRIME.

THE ATTORNEY SAYS THERE'S NO EVIDENCE THE GOVERNOR WAS INVOLVED.

HE'S NOT EXPECTED TO TESTIFY.

IT OBVIOUSLY IS NEVER GREAT TO HAVE A CLOSE AIDE, A LONG-TIME AIDE AND REAL ASSOCIATE ON TRIAL FOR CORRUPTION.

EVEN IF IT DOESN'T TOUCH YOU PERSONALLY, IT GOES TO THE QUESTION OF HOW YOU MANAGE YOUR STAFF, AND ANDREW CUOMO HAS A REPUTATION OF BEING A VERY TOUGH MANAGER, A SERIOUS GUY.

THE THE TIMING IS NOT GREAT, DURING AN ELECTION YEAR, THE FACT THAT HE HAS A VAST WAR CHEST HELPS IF HE'S PLANNING TO RUN FOR A HIGHER OFFICE, AND THERE ARE RUMORS OF THAT.

I GUESS GETTING THE TREIAL OUT F THE WAY NOW IS BETTER THAN TWO YEARS' TEIME.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHO TESTIFIES AND WHAT THE STORY MEANS FOR THE FUTURE OF ANDREW CUOMO.

OF COURSE WE'LL BE FOLLOWING YOUR WORK TO KEEP UP WITH ALL OF THEM.

COME BACK AT ANY TIME.

NGS THAT U.

> DID YOU KNOW THAT ONE IN EVERY 147 NEW YORKERS IS CURRENTLY HOMELESS?

IN FACT, NOW IN THE DEAD OF WINTER, TAKE A WALK THROUGH ANY BOROUGH, AND YOU'LL SEE PEOPLE LIVING ON THE STREET.

HOMELESSNESS IS UP ALMOST 40% FROM JUST LAST YEAR.

AND WITH EVEN MORE OPTING TO LIVE IN THE CITY STREETS, PARKS AND ALLEYS, NEARLY 4,000 PEOPLE SINCE JULY, THE MOST SINCE 2005.

AND ACCORDING TO A RECENT REPORT BY THE DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT, THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE LIVING ON THE STREETS ROS ROSE.

SO WHY ARE NEW YORKERS REFUSING HELP?

AND HERE TO ANSWER SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS AND MORE, WE'RE DELIGHTED TO HAVE CHRISTINE QUINN JOINING US.

THANK YOU.

IT'S ALWAYS GOOD WHEN YOU COME TO JOIN US, FORMER NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL SPEAKER, A HOMELESS ADVOCATE, INVOLVED IN YOUR ORGANIZATION, WYNNE.

SO YOU GET TO LOOK AT THIS FROM A LOT OF DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES.

I THINK THE FIRST QUESTION, AND IT'S STAGGERING, I THINK, TO HEAR THAT HOMELESSNESS IS UP ALMOST 40%. MOST PEOPLE ON THE STREET, YOU ASK THEM ABOUT IT, YOU SAY WE'RE MAKING SOME PROGRESS HERE.

WHY THEN, UP NEARLY 40%?

THE TRUTH IS WE ARE WORKING ON IT, AND THE TRUTH IS WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS.

BUT, YET, HOMELESSNESS IS STILL UP, WHICH I KNOW MAKES NO SENSE TO YOUR VIEWERS, BUT THIS PROBLEM IS SO IMPACTED BY THINGS LIKE THE PRICE OF HOUSING IN NEW YORK AND OTHER ISSUES THAT IT IS GOING TO TAKE TIME TO FULLY GET US OUT OF A CRISIS STATE.

NOW AT W.I.N., WOMEN IN NEED, WE FOCUS ON HOMELESS FAMILIES.

IN ADDITION TO THE HOMELESS ON THE STROEET.

YOU DON'T SEE FAMILIES ON THE STREET BECAUSE IT'S A CRIME TO HAVE YOUR CHILDREN ON THE STREET.

70% OF THE PEOPLE IN SHELTER, 70% OF THE PEOPLE YOU TALKED ABOUT ARE FAMILIES WITH CHILDREN.

AT 25% OF THE PEOPLE IN THE SHELTER TONIGHT IN NEW YORK CITY ARE 5 YEARS OF AGE OR YOUNGER.

HAS THAT CHANGED DRAMATICALLY?

IT HAS NOT CHANGED DRAMATICALLY.

BUT, I MEAN, IT CHANGED FROM SINCE THE BEGINNING, RIGHT?

IN THE '80s AND EARLY '90S, BUT IN THE PAST FIVE TO TEN YEARS, NO.

BUT MOST NEW YORKERS DON'T KNOW THAT, BECAUSE YOU DON'T SEE HOMELESS FAMILIES ON THE STREET.

WE CALL OUR FAMILIES, AND OUR JOB IS TO CHANGE THIS, THE FORGOTTEN FACE OF HOMELESSNESS.

I SUSPECT IF YOU ASKED ANYBODY OUT ON THE STREET, THEY'D SAY WELL, YOU KNOW, I SAW A COUPLE PEOPLE RECENTLY WHEN I WAS WALKING DOWN THE STREET, BUT THEY WOULD NOT HAVE ANY NOTION OF THE FACT THAT THERE'S SO MANY FAMILIES, BECAUSE, AS YOU SAID, THEY DON'T SEE THEM.

HOW DO WE GET THAT MESSAGE ACROSS?

THE WORK OF W.I.N.

WE DID A PUBLIC SERVICE CAMPAIGN, A MOM AND KID, AND MOM'S LIKE SCHEDULE, AND IT WAS LIKE GO TO WORK, PICK UP THE CHILD, GO BACK TO HOME TO COOK DINNER IN A SHELTER, AND THAT WAS THE JARRING PART OF IT.

YOU KNOW, ONE OF THE 70% RIGHT, IN THE SHELTERS ARE FAMILIES.

WE SAW, LAST YEAR AT W.I.N., THE LAST STAY WAS 15 MONTHS.

THE YEAR BEFORE THAT WAS 11.1 MONTHS.

NOW THE LENGTH OF TIME IN AND OF ITSELF DOESN'T CONCERN ME, BECAUSE WE WANT PEOPLE TO GET THE SERVICES THEY NOEED, TO BE ABLE TO SUCCEED LIVING INDEPENDENTLY, BUT THE INCREASE, AND WE HAVE REALLY BEEN A YEAR OR SO FOR QUITE SOME TIME.

THE INCREASE IS PART OF WHY THE NUMBERS AREN'T GOING DOWN.

BECAUSE THE EXIT DOOR OUT OF SHELTER IS NOT AS WIDE AS IT ONCE WAS.

SO AFFORDABLE APARTMENTS THAT PEOPLE CAN JUST FIND AND RENT WITH THE JOBS THEY HAVE OR JOBS WE HELP THEM GET, THAT NUMBER IS EVAPORATING AND SHRINKING.

YOU MENTIONED SOMETHING THAT I THINK IS IMPORTANT FOR US TO TALK ABOUT.

I WOULD SUSPECT, AGAIN, THAT MOST PEOPLE WILL ASSOCIATE HOMELESSNESS WITH BEING UNEMPLOYED.

CORRECT, THEY DO.

AND I UNDERSTAND IT.

WHAT'S THE REALITY?

OVER 51% OF THE MOTHERS AT W.I.N. COME TO US WORKING, BUT THEY COULDN'T AFFORD --

WHAT DOES THAT SAY?

IT SAYS THAT WE HAVE A REAL MIX OF ECONOMIC CONDITIONS IN NEW YORK.

YOU KNOW, THE RECENT JOB REPORT NATIONALLY HAD SOME GOOD NUMBERS, BUT WHEN YOU GET TO THE UNDERBELLY OF IT, A LOT OF THE GROWTH WAS IN MEMBEINIMUM WAGE , RIGHT?

SO YOU HAD MINIMUM WAGE JOBS GROWING, SO THE LEVEL OF NEW YORKERS WHO ARE MAKING NOT ENOUGH MONEY TO LIVE ON GROWING AND APARTMENT RENTS GROWING HIGHER THAN THAT.

THERE'S NOT A REAL EASY WAY TO BRING THAT TOGETHER.

THAT'S WHERE THE CITY SUBSIDIZED HOUSING PROGRAMS COME INTO PLAY.

IT GIVES HOMELESS PEOPLE TO PAY PART OF THEIR RENT.

BUT THERE'S A HUGE WAITING LIST FOR HOUSING AUTHORITY, AND IT'S HARD OFTEN TO FIND LANDLORDS WHO WILL TAKE THESE VOUCHERS.

SOME ARE JUST DISCRIMINATING, OTHERS, WHAT IF THEY CANCEL IT, ET CETERA.

SO THAT'S ANOTHER REASON THE LENGTH OF TIME IS GROWING, BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE WAITING FOR SUBSIDIZED HOUSING BECAUSE THEY CAN'T FIND AFFORDABLE HOUSING.

ONE OF THE BIG THINGS WE DO AT W.I.N., WHICH NOT EVERY SHELTER DOES AND CERTAINLY DOESN'T DO IT IN THE WAY WE DO IT IS INCOME BUILDING.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

WE CALL IT INCOME BUILDING INSTEAD OF JOB TRAINING BECAUSE SO MANY OF OUR MOTHERS HAVE JOBS BECAUSE IT'S DISRESPECTFUL TO SAY JOB TRAINING.

OUR GOAL IS TO HELP FAMILIES GROW THEIR INCOME.

AND WE DON'T DO THAT IN AN ESOTERIC WAY WHERE IT'S JUST EDUCATION OR JUST RESUME WRITING.

WE'RE ON TRACKS WITH INDUSTRIES WHO ARE DOING REAL JOB TRAINING TO THEIR SECTOR, AND THEN INTERVIEWING AND EMPLOYING OUR MOTHERS.

SO GOURMET GARAGE PULLED TOGETHER WHOLE FOODS AND FRESH DIRECT.

SO WE HAVE A CULINARY TRACT.

THE HOTEL WORKERS UNION AND THEIR PRESIDENT PETER WARD WERE STA STARTING A TRACK WITH THEM ABOUT HOUSEKEEPING JOBS IN UNION HOTELS.

WE WANT PEOPLE TO LEAVE WITH A JOB THAT WE KNOW CAN PAY THE RENT.

SO IT'S MORE THAN JUST PUTTING A ROOF OVER SOMEBODY.

OH, TOTALLY.

YOU'RE GOING TO ADDRESS AND RESOLVE THE PROBLEM, YOU NEED POLITICAL WILL TO DO IT AND A CULTURAL BUY-IN.

AND I THINK YOU MENTIONED THAT THERE ARE PARTNERSHIPS, ARE YOU SEEING THAT GROW?

I WOULD SAY CERTAINLY.

WE ARE SEEING THE INTEREST OF CORPORATE NEW YORK AND CORPORATE AMERICA GROW TREMENDOUSLY.

YOU KNOW, WE HAVE COMPANIES LIKE PEPSI-CO THAT WE WOULD BE LOST WITHOUT.

WE HAVE COMPANIES LIKE BLACK ROCK.

TOYS 'R' US.

BIG NAMES THAT PEOPLE WOULD KNOW, COACH.

KATE SPADE, WHO ARE SUPPORTING US IN MULTI-YEAR WAYS, AS WELL AS, YOU KNOW, THE PHILANTHROPIC COMMUNITY, BUT I THINK COMPANIES ARE REALLY STEPPING UP, BECAUSE THIS IS THEIR CITY.

AND ONE OF THE BEST THINGS THEY NEED TO BE GOOD COMPANIES IS TO HAVE EMPLOYEES WHO WANT TO WORK FOR THEM.

EMPLOYEES WANT TO LIVE AND WORK IN CITIES THIS THEY FEEL GOOD ABOUT.

AND PEOPLE DON'T FEEL GOOD ABOUT A CITY IF THERE'S HOMELESS PEOPLE.

IS IT FAIR FROM WHAT YOU'RE SAYING HERE THAT THERE IS STILL CAUSE FOR OPTIMISM.

DON'T JUST HLOOK AT THE NUMBERS.

THE THING I WANT TO THINK ABOUT AS A CITY IS HOW DO WE REDUCE THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO COME BACK.

THAT'S ANOTHER REASON THE NUMBER IS HIGH, WE HAVEN'T ENABLED SHELTERS WITH THE RESOURCES THEY NEED AND IN SOME CASES THE TIME THEY NEED WITH PEOPLE TO MAKE SURE THEY'RE READY TO SUCCEED INDEPENDENTLY.

AND THAT'S SOMETHING I WOULD LOVE US TO MEASURE OURSELVES ON.

BECAUSE THINK OF HOW HORRIBLE IT IS TO GO TO INTAKE AT THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELESS SERVICES AS A PERSON OR WITH YOUR CHILDREN.

TO GO TWICE, THAT'S SOUL CRUSHING.

WHAT WE SAY TO PEOPLE IS, WE DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN UNTIL YOU COME BACK AS A VOLUNTEER.

CHRISTINA, AGAIN, IT'S ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO TALK WITH YOU.

THANK YOU.

AND HOPEFULLY YOU'LL KEEP COMING BACK HERE.

YOUR GROUP, WCH.I.N., DOING WONDERFUL WORK.

THANK YOU.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

> A NEW INDEPENDENT LENS DOCUMENTARY IS HEADED TO PBS FOCUSSING ON ONE OF THE NATION'S MOST EMBATTLED POLICE FORCES IN AMERICA.

TITLED 'THE FORCE', IT TAKES US INSIDE THE OAKLAND POLICE DEPARTMENT, AND HOW THEY ARE RESPONDING TO CALLS FOR SWEEPING REFORMS.

USHERING IN A NEW ERA OF TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY.

LET'S TAKE A LOOK.

THIS IS THE FOURTH SHOOTING OF OAKLAND POLICE DEPARTMENT.

CAN A TROUBLED POLICE DEPARTMENT WIN BACK THE PUBLIC'S TRUST IN.

WE'RE TRYING TO FIX A LOCAL PROBLEM.

THE DIRTY COP?

BEHIND THE BLUE LINE, NOTHING IS BLACK AND WHITE.

ONE POLICE OFFICER CAN HAVE AN IMPACT ON THE WHOLE COUNTRY.

THE SUNDANCE-AWARD-WINNING FILM 'THE FORCE.'

JOINING ME NOW IS THE FORCE BEHIND 'THE FORCE'. FILM MAKER PETER NIX.

WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM.

THANKS FOR HAVING ME.

WHY WAS IT SO IMPORTANT TO MAKE THIS FILM?

THIS FILM IS THE SECOND IN A TRILOGY OR AT LEAST A SERIES OF FILMS.

AND WE BEGIN THE JOURNEY WITH THE FILM 'THE WAITING ROOM' IN 2012.

THAT LOOKED AT THE ISSUE OF ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE.

AND AS THAT FILM FINISHED AND WENT OUT INTO THE WORLD AND WE STARTED CONTEMPLATING WHAT NEXT, WE REALIZED THE TENOR AND THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN POLICE AND COMMUNITY WAS REACHING A FEVERED PITCH.

WHAT IS IT LIKE FOR A POLICE DEPARTMENT TO HAVE TO COPE WITH THAT QUESTION.

AND THIS IS A POLICE DEPARTMENT UNDER ACTIVE REFORM, UNDER FEDERAL OVERSIGHT BECAUSE OF PAST VIOLATIONS.

THAT IS THE QUESTION, WHAT DOES REFORM LOOK LIKE INSIDE AN AMERICAN POLICE DEPARTMENT AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME.

WHAT DID YOU GET THE SENSE OF FROM HAVING HAD ACCESS THAT YOU HAD OF THE POLICE DON'T EPARTMED THE POLICE?

WAS THERE A SENSE OF WE WANT TO CHANGE OR WE'RE BEING FORCED TO MAKE THESE CHANGES SO WE'RE COMPLYING?

I THINK THAT'S A VERY GOOD QUESTION.

IT'S A VERY DYNAMIC ANSWER TO THAT.

THE FORCE IS MADE UP OF, IT'S AN INSTITUTION, BUT IT'S MADE UP OF A DIVERSE COLLECTION OF INDIVIDUALS WHO COME FROM A WHOLE VARIETY OF BACKGROUNDS AND PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, DIFFERENT RACES, GENDER.

AND, YOU KNOW, I THINK YOU CAN FIND DIFFERENT OPINIONS WITHIN THE DEPARTMENT, AMONGST THE RANKS OF OFFICERS RELATING TO THIS QUESTION OF ACCOUNTABILITY, AS SORT OF THE AGENDA BEING PUSHED BY BLACK LIVES MATTER TO SOME DEGREE.

WE FOUND A SURPRISING OPENNESS TO OUR PRESENCE IN THERE, PA BECAUSE I THINK THIS WAS A DEPARTMENT THAT WAS, BECAUSE THEY WERE FORCED TO REFORM UNDER THE FEDERAL, THE NEGOTIATED SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT AFTER THE CASE IN 2000, THEY HAD MADE A LOT OF PROGRESS, AND THEY FELT THAT THEY HAD A STORY TO TELL.

AND WHEN WE ENTERED, WE TOLD THEM THAT WE ARE NOT HERE TO SORT OF PASS JUDGMENT.

WE ARE NOT IN HERE TO MAKE A COMMERCIAL ABOUT THE OPD, WE JUST WANT TO SEE AND UNDERSTAND WHAT IS YOUR WORLD LIKE?

WHAT DOES THIS PROCESS LOOK LIKE FROM THE INSIDE IN.

WHAT WAS ONE OF THE SURPRISING THINGS THAT VIEWERS WHO AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH POLICE OFFICERS ON A PERSONAL LEVEL MIGHT LEARN FROM THIS?

SO OFTEN IN THE MEDIA, A POLICE DEPARTMENT IS PAINTED AS ONE MONOLITH.

BUT AS YOU WERE EXPLAINING, THERE WAS A LOT MORE THERE.

I THINK ALL SITUATIONS ARE TWO DIMENSIONS.

COSTS, PEOPLE'S FACEBOOK FEEDS ARE FLATTENED OUT INTO TWO-DIMEN TWO-DIMENSIO TWO-DIMENSIONAL PORT PORTRAIT.

AND IT'S THE HEART OF THE DISTRUST BETWEEN COPS AND COMMUNITY.

I THINK COPS, WHAT WE FOUND WAS A LOT OF COPS WHO WERE TRYING TO DO THE RIGHT THING OR AT LEAST IN THEIR MIND, YOU KNOW, WHEN YOU CONFRONT THEM WITH QUESTIONS OF RACISM OR IMPOLLICIT BIAS, THERE WAS A BIT OF A DISCONNECT.

THEY DON'T SEE THEMSELVES INDIVIDUALLY AS PART OF A PROBLEM, YOU KNOW.

AND I THINK THAT IS REALLY SORT OF, THAT WAS REALLY THE QUESTION OF LIKE HOW DO YOU CONNECT, YOU KNOW, THE IDEA OF, WHERE DOES THAT DISTRUST COME FROM?

WHERE DOES THAT ANGER FROM THE COMMUNITY COMING FROM, AND GETTING THE OFFICERS TO UNDERSTAND AT LEAST TO SOME DEGREE, SORT OF THE CONTEXT OF THAT ANGER.

THEIR ACTIONS AND THEIR DAY TO DAY IS SOMETHING THAT MOST PEOPLE DON'T EXPERIENCE AND SORT OF WHAT THEY'RE FACING, AND SO WE, YOU KNOW, AS FEILM MAKERS AD OBSERVERS, WE GOT TO EXPERIENCE THAT, ENTER THAT POINT OF VIEW.

AND IT WAS A VERY VISCERAL AND SURPRISING EXPERIENCE, THE FIRST TIME I WAS IN A POLICE CAR ROLLING IN EAST OAKLAND.

THAT GAZE WAS ONE OF ANGER, DISTRUST, HOSTILITY.

AND YOU REALLY FELT THAT.

IS THAT ONE OF THE BIG TAKE AWAYS THAT YOU WANT PEOPLE TO COME AWAY FROM THIS FILM, WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE ON THE INSIDE OF THE FORCE?

ONE OF THE VALUE PROPOSITIONS OF OUR WORK AT OPEN HOOD, WHICH IS MY PRODUCTION COMPANY IS TO TRY TO REFRAIN THESE DIVISIVE ISSUES IN WAYS THAT PEOPLE CAN SEE EACH OTHER FOR THE FIRST TIME IN WAYS THEY HADN'T BEFORE, ON BOTH SIDES OF CONTENTIOUS ISSUES SO ACTIVISTS CAN GET A REFRAMING OF POLICE OFFICERS AND VICE VERSA, BUT, YOU KNOW, FUNDAMENTALLY, WE WERE TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE NATURE OF REFORM, HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO REFORM A POLICE DEPARTMENT?

WHAT ARE THE BARRIERS TO REFORM?

BOTH INDIVIDUALLY AND INSTITUTIONALLY.

WHAT IS NEEDED MOVING FORWARD, BECAUSE WE HAVE A MAJOR QUESTION BEFORE US AROUND THIS IDEA OF COMMUNITY SAFETY AND THE ROLE POLICE PLAY IN THAT.

MOVING FORWARD, IS OUR SYSTEM BROKEN?

OF COURSE.

SO WE WANT TOANCE ANSWER THO QUESTIONS.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US ON THIS PROGRAM AND GIVING US THE NEW FILM 'THE FORCE.'

> FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS PROVIDED BY --

Funders

MetroFocus is made possible by James and Merryl Tisch, Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Sylvia A. and Simon B. Poyta Programming Endowment to Fight Anti-Semitism, Bernard and Irene Schwartz, Rosalind P. Walter, Barbara Hope Zuckerberg, Jody and John Arnhold, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Family, Janet Prindle Seidler, Judy and Josh Weston and the Dr. Robert C. and Tina Sohn Foundation.

WNET

© WNET All Rights Reserved.

825 Eighth Avenue

New York, NY 10019