TONIGHT ON METROFOCUS

Amid the national outrage over sexual harassment of women in the workplace, a New York Times report claims FOX News renewed Bill O’Reilly’s $100-million dollar contract even though they knew the anchor had settled yet another sexual harassment case for the sum of $32 million dollars.  Now, it’s a question of ethics and next steps for the cable news giant.  Famed legal scholar, Alan Dershowitz, will be here with his insight. President Trump is set to allow the release of all of the still classified documents relating to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy…maybe.  What can we expect to find in the files?  We’ll have the report. From “In The Heights” to “Hamilton,” Mandy Gonzalez shows us why she is “Fearless!”

Aired on October 23, 2017. 

TRANSCRIPT

> TONIGHT ON 'METROFOCUS,' AMID THE NATIONAL OUTRAGE OVER SEXUAL HARASSMENT OF WOMEN IN THE WORKPLACE, A SHOCKING ALLEGATION.

A 'NEW YORK TIMES' REPORT CLAIMS FOX NEWS RENEWED BILL O'REILLY'S CONTRACT EVEN THOUGH THEY KNEW HE SETTLED ANOTHER CHARGE.

ALAN DERSHOWITZ IS HERE TO TALK ABOUT THE LEGAL AND ETHICAL AND WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.

> SET TO RELEASE ALL THE STILL CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS RELATED TO JOHN F. KENNEDY.

MAYBE.

WHAT CAN WE FIND IN THE FILES?

FROM 'IN THE HEIGHTS' TO 'HAMILTON,' MANDY GONZALEZ SHOWS US WHY SHE'S FEARLESS.

'METROFOCUS' STARTS RIGHT NOW.

♪♪

Announcer: THIS IS 'METROFOCUS,' WITH RAFAEL PI ROMAN, JACK FORD, AND JENNA FLANAGAN.

FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS PROVIDED BY -- CORPORATE FUNDING FOR 'METROFOCUS' WAS PROVIDED BY MUTUAL OF AMERICA, YOUR RETIREMENT COMPANY.

AND BY PSE&G, SERVING CUSTOMERS, STRENGTHENING THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY AND INVESTING IN THE FUTURE.

> GOOD EVENING.

WELCOME TO 'METROFOCUS.'

I'M JENNA FLANAGAN.

TONIGHT, A $32 MILLION SETTLEMENT.

IN THE WAKE OF HARVEY WEINSTEIN, AND THE SEX SCANDAL THAT BROUGHT DOWN ROGER AILES, FORMER CEO OF FOX NEWS AND ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL MEN IN THE MEDIA, NEW AND SHOCKING ALLEGATIONS BY THE 'NEW YORK TIMES' CLAIMING THAT FORMER FOX NEWS ANCHOR BILL O'REILLY, ALREADY SADDLED WITH SEXUAL HARASSMENT CLAIMS AND SETTLEMENTS WAS HANDED A LUCRATIVE NEW CONTRACT THIS YEAR DESPITE THE NETWORK'S KNOWLEDGE THAT HE HAD SETTLED A MASSIVE SEXUAL HARASSMENT CASE.

THAT'S THE PRICE TAG, $32 MILLION PAID TO LIS WIEHL ACCORDING TO THE 'TIMES.'

FORMER ANALYST.

O'REILLY FIRED ONLY AFTER NEW CONTRACT WAS IN PLACE AND OTHER ALLEGATIONS FROM OTHER WOMEN AROSE.

BILL O'REILLY DENIED THE ACCUSATIONS AND CALLED THE 'TIMES' PIECE A MALICIOUS SMEAR CAMPAIGN.

NOTHING FROM LIS WIEHL YET.

AND 20th CENTURY FOX AACKNOWLEDGED THEY WERE AWARE OF THE SETTLEMENT BUT NOT MASSIVE AMOUNT INVOLVED.

I'M PLEASED TO BE JOINED BY ALAN DERSHOWITZ, PROFESSOR OF LAW AT HARVARD UNIVERSITY.

FIRST WANT TO GET YOUR TAKE ON THE 'TIMES' STORY ABOUT THE FOX CONTRACT AND $32 MILLION SETTLEMENT WITH BILL O'REILLY.

THIS REVELATION POSES SOME SERIOUS PROBLEMS.

OBVIOUSLY FOX CORPORATION, THERE ARE TWO BASES FOR SUING A CORPORATION IN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS.

ONE IS STOCKHOLDERS INSTITUTE IN WHICH OWNERS OF THE COMPANY CLAIM THAT MANAGEMENT HASN'T BEEN SERVING THE COMPANY BY FAILING TO TAKE STEPS TO AVOID THIS PROBLEM, A PROBLEM THAT'S ENDED UP VERY COSTLY TO THE COMPANY.

COMPANY'S RESPONSE IS GOING TO BE LOOK WE HAD A CASH COW, SOMEBODY BRINGS IN TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OR MORE AND HAD TO STAY WITH HIM AS LONG AS POSSIBLE AND DID THE RIGHT THING FOR THE COMPANY.

WHETHER THAT WILL SUCCEED OR NOT IS UNCLEAR IN TODAY'S ENVIRONMENT.

SECOND VULNERABILITY THEY HAVE IS TO OTHER PEOPLE WHO MAY HAVE BEEN HARASSED.

THERE'S A CONCEPT CALLED RERESPOND YAT SUPERIOR, YOUR BOSS IS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR CONDUCT AND FOX MAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SOME OF THE CONDUCT UNDERTAKEN BY O'REILLY.

THE TWO 'TIMES' REPORTERS RECENTLY DID A PODCAST FOR THE 'TIMES,' 'THE DAILY PODCAST' AND FOX WAS LOOKING AT THIS AS PERSONAL ISSUE NOT BUSINESS ONE.

AND FURTHER COMPLICATED BY THE FACT THIS PARTICULAR ACCUSER ALSO WORKED AS PERSONAL ATTORNEY FOR MR. O'REILLY.

THERE WAS A LOT OF GRAY AREA FOX SEEMS TO BE SAYING.

GRAY AREAS COMMONLY APPLY IN THESE KINDS OF SITUATIONS BUT ATMOSPHERICS ALSO HAVE AN IMPACT.

I THINK GRAYS WILL BE RESOLVED AGAINST THE COMPANY UNDER TODAY'S VIEW OF THESE MATTERS.

I DON'T THINK THEY WILL PREVAIL ON THE ISSUE THIS WAS PERSONAL MATTER.

PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL MERGE WHEN YOU HAVE A PERSONALITY LIKE O'REILLY, WHO IS A VERY BIG PERSONALITY AND LIVES AND DIES BY HIS PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES, ON AND OFF THE AIR.

I DON'T THINK THAT ARGUMENT WILL WORK.

ARGUMENT THAT SHE WAS HIS ATTORNEY HAS A GREATER POTENTIAL TO THE EXTENT THAT THEY HAD A PERSONAL LAWYER/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NOT A RELATIONSHIP NECESSARILY THROUGH THE COMPANY.

BUT WE HAVE TO FIND OUT MORE OF THE FACTS ABOUT THAT.

I SUSPECT IT WILL BE COMPLEX.

DOES IT MATTER AT ALL THAT MR. O'REILLY HAS COME OUT AND ACCUSED THE 'TIMES' REPORTERS OF TWO THINGS, ONE, BEING PART OF A LARGER LEFT-WING CONSPIRACY TO DESTROY HIM AND TWO, REPORTING FIGURES THAT ARE INCORRECT.

DECLINED TO BE SPECIFIC ABOUT WHICH FIGURES ARE INCORRECT BUT THAT SEEMS TO BE PART OF THE DEFENSE.

FIGURES ARE INCORRECT AND THIS IS PART OF A LARGER CONSPIRACY TO DESTROY ME.

ONE THING YOU CAN TAKE TO THE BANK, O'REILLY WILL NOT BRING A LAWSUIT.

THERE IS NO QUESTION THAT NO DECENT LAWYER WOULD EVER ADVISE HIM AT THIS POINT TO UNDERGO A DEPOSITION ABOUT THE EXTENT OF THE CONDUCT HE ENGAGED IN.

I THINK NOBODY HAS TO WORRY ABOUT BEING SUED BY O'REILLY.

IN THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION, HE'S ENTITLED TO EXPRESS HIS VIEWS AND DEFEND HIMSELF.

I COMMEND HIM FOR CORRECTING THE RECORD IF IT'S FALSE.

HE HAS A SUPERB LAWYER AND PUBLIC RELATIONS PERSON WORKING WITH HIM.

THEY WILL FIGURE OUT HOW TO HANDLE IT IN THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION.

AS FAR AS THE COURT OF LAW IS CONCERNED, THIS CASE IS OVER AS FAR AS O'REILLY IS CONCERNED.

HE CAN AND WILL NOT BRING A LAWSUIT.

WHETHER THERE ARE SUITS AGAINST THE PARENT CORPORATION REMAINS TO BE SEEN.

THAT WILL BE A DIFFICULT ISSUE FOR FOX.

COULD HAVE COMPLICATED LAWSUITS BROUGHT AGAINST THEM.

SPEAKING OF, GRETCHEN CARLSON HAS COME FORWARD AND SUGGESTED FACT THAT THE $32 MILLION LAWSUIT, IN TOTALITY, OVER $40 MILLION PAID REALLY PUTS A BAD LIGHT ON FOX NEWS CORPORATION.

NOT SO MUCH.

THEY STILL WERE MAKING MONEY.

JOB OF A CORPORATION PRIMARILY IS TO MAKE MONEY FOR ITS STOCKHOLDERS.

THEY WILL ARGUE THAT ON BALANCE KEEPING HIM MADE MORE MONEY THAN LETTING HIM GO.

ARGUMENT ON THE OTHER SIDE SAID YOU HAD TO LET HIM GO ANYWAY AND SHOULD HAVE DONE IT SERENE.

THESE ISSUES COURTS WILL RESOLVE.

NO WAY OF PREDICTING THE OUTCOME OF THE STOCKHOLDERS SUIT ARGUING WE KEPT MOST IMPORTANT PERSON ON THE AIR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.

WHAT ABOUT THE CIVIL SUITS THAT MIGHT BE COMING, IF THE COMPANY TAKES THE TACK IT WAS MORE PROFITABLE TO KEEP HIM ON AIR AND SIGN CONTRACT WITH HIM, EVEN THOUGH COSTING US MONEY THROUGH THE SEXUAL HARASSMENT LAWSUITS WE WERE SETTLING.

FIRST OF ALL, ARGUMENT WILL BE MANY OF THE LAWSUITS WERE PAID OUT OF HIS PERSONAL FUNDS.

AND ONES PAID BY CORPORATION THEY'LL DO BENEFIT ANALYSIS AND SAY IT WAS WORTH AVOIDING LITIGATION, THE PUBLICITY AND THEY THOUGHT THEY WOULD BE KEPT SECRET.

ONE THING THAT MAY GENERATE LAWSUITS, LOT OF THESE SETTLEMENTS MAY HAVE CONFIDENTIALITY CLAUSES AND SOMEBODY COULD BE LOOKING INTO WHO BROKE THEM.

WHEN YOU PAY A LOT OF MONEY, IT'S NOT CALLED HUSH MONEY FOR NOTHING.

THAT IS TRUE.

BACK TO THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION.

'THE DAILY PODCAST' FROM THE 'NEW YORK TIMES,' WE HEARD BILL O'REILLY EXPRESSING CONCERN FOR HIMSELF AS THE VICTIM AS HE VIEWS THE SITUATION BUT ALSO HIS CHILDREN.

WONDERING IF BY PUSHING THIS NARRATIVE DOES THAT HELP MR. O'REILLY IN THE COURT OF PUBLIC OPINION WHERE HE NEEDS SUPPORT TO REBUILD HIS CAREER?

NO IT HURTS HIS ARGUMENT.

ANSWER IS OBVIOUS, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO HURT THE CHILDREN.

AND TAPE RECORDINGS, SECRET ONE NO ONE HAS HEARD BUT DESCRIPTIONS OF IT.

TAPE RECORDING WHERE HE'S ON THE PHONE WITH ONE OF THE WOMEN ENGAGED WITH INAPPROPRIATE TALK.

SAID TO EXIST, PEOPLE HAVE HEARD IT.

WE NEVER HAVE.

IF HE EVER WERE TO BRING A LAWSUIT, ALMOST CERTAINLY THAT TAPE WOULD HAVE TO BE RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC AND DESTROY EVEN FURTHER HIS CREDIBILITY AND CAREER.

I'M NOT SURE HE'S BEING WISE BY GOING ON THE AIR AND POINTING TO HIS CHILDREN.

I THINK THE RESPONSE IS GOING TO BE, IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN, YOU DON'T ENGAGE IN THIS KIND OF CONDUCT.

MR. DERSHOWITZ, THANKS FOR JOINING US.

FINAL QUESTION.

IF YOU WERE REPRESENTING MR. O'REILLY IN CIVIL OR ANY OTHER CASE, WHAT WOULD YOU ADVISE?

AT THIS POINT ADVISE HIM TO DISAPPEAR FROM PUBLIC VIEW, NOT TO MAKE ANY FURTHER COMMENTS AND LET THE STORY DIE A NATURAL DEATH.

THAT IS ALL INSIGHTFUL.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US ON THE PROGRAM.

APPRECIATE YOUR INSIGHT INTO THE SITUATION.

THANK YOU.

> AND SO MY FELLOW AMERICANS, ASK NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNTRY.

PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY'S ASSASSINATION, TO THIS DAY QUESTIONS AND CONSPIRACY THEORIES REMAIN.

BUT NOW A NEW WRINKLE IN THE CASE WHICH COULD PROVIDE GRIST FOR THE MILL.

PRESIDENT TRUMP TWEETED THIS WEEKEND HE WOULD ALLOW THE RELEASE OF THE LAST BATCH OF HIGHLY CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS.

MAYBE.

SUBJECT TO THE RECEIPT OF FURTHER INFORMATION I WILL BE ALLOWING THE LONG BLOCKED FILES TO BE OPENED.

SUBJECT TO THE RECEIPT OF FURTHER INFORMATION.

IF FURTHER INFORMATION DOES COME THROUGH, PRESIDENT MIGHT PUT THE BRAKES ON THE EXPECTED DOCUMENT DROP.

HISTORIANS AND CURIOUS, INCLUDING THE KENNEDY FAMILY ARE ALL WAITING FOR THE INFORMATION TO BE MADE PUBLIC.

BUT FEW WEEKS AGO OTHER DOCUMENTS WERE RELEASED BY NATIONAL ARCHIVES.

CONTAINED IN THOSE DOCUMENTS, SOME OF THE IN CIA CAME TO DOUBT.

TOP INTELLIGENCE OFFICERS WERE CONCERNED THAT INVESTIGATORS FROM THE WARREN COMMISSION AND FBI FAILED TO FOLLOW UP ON IMPORTANT CLUES CONCERNING LEE HARVEY OSWALD'S CONNECTION TO CUBA.

EVEN COULD BE MURDERED IN RESPONSE TO CIA's OWN ATTEMPTS TO KILL CASTRO.

AND FOR THE ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS EVERYONE HAS BEEN ASKING OR MAYBE NOT.

JACK FORD HAD THE CHANCE TO DISCUSS THE DOCUMENTS WITH LARRY SABATO, DIRECTOR OF THE CENTER FOR POLITICS AND AUTHOR OF KENNEDY HALF-CENTURY: THE PRESIDENCY, ASSASSINATION, AND LASTING LEGACY OF JOHN F.

KENNEDY.'

BEGAN THE CONVERSATION BY ASKING PROFESSOR SABATO JUST HOW LARGE THE CACHE OF INFORMATION RECENTLY UNEARTHED BY HIM AND HIS TEAM REALLY WAS.

WE HAD SEVERAL HUNDRED FILES RELEASED.

AND EACH FILE CAN CONSIST OF A SINGLE PAGE OR THOUSANDS OF PAGES.

IN TOTAL, THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF PAGES RELEASED.

CAN'T GIVE YOU EXACT COUNT BECAUSE THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES DIDN'T GIVE US A COUNT.

THIS IS JUST A TASTE OF WHAT IS COMING IN OCTOBER.

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?

WHY NOW, WHY IN OCTOBER?

GO BACK TO OLIVER STONE'S MOVIE 'JFK' IN THE EARLY 1990s.

CAUSED A GIGANTIC STIR, REOPENED THE QUESTION OF WHO KILLED JFK, AND CONGRESS WAS LITERALLY FORCED TO PASS A LAW SIGNED BY GEORGE H.W. BUSH IN OCTOBER 1992 REQUIRING BY OCTOBER 2017 EVERY DOCUMENT HELD BY THE CIA, FBI, NSA, FILL IN THE BLANK, MUST BE RELEASED.

LET'S COME TO SOME OF THE DETAILS THAT SEEM TO BE CONTAINED IN THIS MOST RECENT RELEASE.

FIRST OF ALL, THE QUESTION I'M SURE PEOPLE ARE ANXIOUS TO ASK, IS THERE ANYTHING IN THESE DOCUMENTS THAT SUGGEST THAT LEE HARVEY OSWALD WAS NOT THE SHOOTER?

NO.

AND I DON'T EXPECT TO FIND ANYTHING.

I BELIEVE THAT LEE HARVEY OSWALD WAS NOT ONLY THE ASSASSIN, BUT THE LONE ASSASSIN IN DEALEY PLAZA IN 1963.

KEEP IN MIND, THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF CONSPIRACY THEORISTS WHO STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH ME AND OTHERS WHO REACHED SAME CONCLUSION.

BUT FORENSIC EVIDENCE IS STRONG AND WE HAVE NEW TECHNIQUES IN THE 21st CENTURY AND I USED SOME IN MY BOOK, 'THE KENNEDY HALF-CENTURY,' AND ALL CONFIRMED THAT LEE HARVEY WAS SOLE ASSASSIN.

BUT WE'RE NOT SAYING THAT NO ONE ENCOURAGED OSWALD TO DO IT.

THAT'S INTERESTING.

I KNOW FROM LOOKING AT YOUR WORK, THAT ONE OF THE SUGGESTIONS COMING OUT OF THE RELEASE OF THESE DOCUMENTS WAS THAT LEE HARVEY OSWALD HAD SOME PERHAPS CONVERSATIONS WHEN HE TRAVELED TO CUBA AND THERE MIGHT HAVE BEEN SOME ENCOURAGEMENT COMING FROM THE CUBAN GOVERNMENT OR THE RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT.

TELL US WHAT THESE DOCUMENTS ARE SAYING AND GIVE US YOUR ASSESSMENT.

TO MY MIND THIS TRIP TO MEXICO CITY, WHICH OSWALD TOOK ALMOST PRECISELY TWO MONTHS BEFORE THE ASSASSINATION OF JOHN F. KENNEDY IS ONE OF THE ROSEETTA STONES OF THE KENNEDY ASSASSINATION HAS NEVER BEEN FULLY EXPLAINED.

HE HAD BEEN IN NEW ORLEANS AND EARLY SEPTEMBER ARTICLE APPEARED IN THE 'NEW ORLEANS TIMES PICAYUNE' AND HE WAS AN AVID READER OF THAT NEWSPAPER.

FROM THE APP CORRESPONDENT BUREAU CHIEF IN HAVANA, CUBAN OFFICIALS WERE FURIOUS THAT THE U.S. GOVERNMENT WAS TRYING TO KILL CUBAN OFFICIALS LIKE CASTRO AND OTHERS SENIOR IN THE ADMINISTRATION.

AND CASTRO SAID IF AMERICAN OFFICIALS CONTINUE TO DO THIS, THEY WILL NOT BE SAFE IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY.

OSWALD READ THIS AND HE WAS ALREADY UNSTABLE IN MANY, MANY WAYS.

HE WAS FURIOUS BECAUSE OF IT.

WE THINK THIS MIGHT HAVE STIMULATED HIS TRIP TO MEXICO CITY.

WHY DID HE GO TO MEXICO CITY?

HE WENT THERE TO MEET WITH THE CUBAN EMBASSY OFFICIALS AND SOVIET EMBASSY OFFICIALS.

WE KNOW FOR SURE HE DID IN PART BECAUSE THE CIA TRACKED HIS MOVEMENTS IN AND OUT OF THOSE EMBASSIES.

IN THE SOVIET EMBASSY MET WITH TWO KGB OFFICIALS, ONE FROM BUREAU 13, THE ASSASSINATIONS BUREAU OF THE KGB.

THAT OUGHT TO GIVE YOU THE WILLIES.

IT SHOULD GIVE ANYBODY THE WILLIES.

HE WAS THERE FOR SIX DAYS, WHAT WAS HE DOING FOR SIX DAYS?

WE ONLY HAVE A FEW HOURS ACCOUNTED FOR.

CIA ANALYSTS AT THE TIME KNEW ABOUT ALL THIS BUT THERE WAS ONE IMPERATIVE FOR WARREN COMMISSION AND LYNDON JOHNSON, CONCLUDE THAT LEE HARVEY OSWALD DID THIS WITH LITTLE HELP AND ENCOURAGEMENT AND NO CONNECTIONS.

DIDN'T WANT TO STIMULATE WORLD WAR THREE.

WHO CAN DISAGREE WITH THAT?

AS TIME WENT ON, CIA OFFICIALS REALIZED THEY HAD NOT FULLY ANALYZED THE MEXICO CITY TRIP AND WONDERED WHAT THE CONNECTION WAS.

IN THE NEW BATCH OF FILES THERE'S INFORMATION SUGGESTING THAT SENIOR OFFICIALS IN THE CIA WERE UNSATISFIED WITH THEIR OWN EXPLANATIONS THEY GAVE TO THE WARREN COMMISSION.

GIVEN WHAT WE'VE LEARNED, AND YOU'VE TALKED ABOUT OSWALD IN MEXICO CITY MEETING WITH AUTHORITIES FROM CUBAN GOVERNMENT, SOVIET UNION AT THE TIME, WITH ALL THE PASSAGE OF TIME SINCE, DO YOU HAVE A SENSE THAT WE'LL EVER REALLY KNOW WHAT IT WAS THAT MOTIVATED LEE HARVEY OSWALD?

PROBABLY NOT.

WE'RE LEFT TO GUESS.

PART OF THIS BECAUSE JACK RUBY KILLED LEE HARVEY OSWALD SO QUICKLY AFTER THE ASSASSINATION.

AND PARTLY BECAUSE WARREN COMMISSION WASN'T TOLD WHAT WAS REALLY GOING ON BY CIA AND FBI BECAUSE LYNDON JOHNSON DIDN'T WANT TO KNOWN, MAYBE FOR A GOOD REASON.

BUT UNFORTUNATELY SO MUCH TIME HAS PASSED, WE'RE LEFT TO GUESSWORK.

BUT THESE DOCUMENTS HELP US GUESS BETTER.

ALWAYS A PLEASURE LARRY SABATO, THANKS FOR SPENDING TIME WITH US.

I ENJOYED IT.

♪♪ ♪ ME I DIED FOR HIM, ME I TRUSTED HIM, ME I LOVE HIM, AND ME, I'M THE DAMNED FOOL THAT SHOT HIM ♪ ♪ ALEXANDER HAMILTON

> AUDIENCES LUCKY ENOUGH TO SCORE A TICKET TO THE TONY, PULITZER AND GRAMMY WINNING 'HAMILTON' GOT TO SEE MANDY GONZALEZ.

PREVIOUSLY STARRED AS NINA ROSARIO IN MUSICAL 'IN THE HEIGHTS.'

SHE'S WORKING WITH LIN MANUEL MIRANDA AGAIN.

♪ WHEN I'M NEAR YOU, I'M FEARLESS ♪

PERFORMING SECTIONS AT CAFE CARLISLE.

MANDY GONZALEZ JOINS US NOW.

MANDY, FINALLY.

HELLO.

INTERVIEWED YOU WAY BACK IN 'IN THE HEIGHTS' DAYS.

WHEN IT FIRST STARTED.

TRYING TO GET YOU BACK.

WHAT TOOK SO LONG?

BEEN THROUGH A LOT OF LIFE CHANGES.

I KNOW.

SINCE DOING 'IN THE HEIGHTS,' DID A LITTLE SHOW CALLED 'WICKED,' PAINTED GREEN EVERY NIGHT.

NOW PLAYING BEST ROLE OF ALL, BECOME A MOTHER.

WASN'T UNTIL 'HAMILTON' CALLED, DO YOU WANT TO TAKE OVER THE ROLE OF ANGELICA?

THAT I DECIDED TO COME BACK TO BROADWAY.

IT'S BEEN A THRILL.

GROWN UP A LOT IN BETWEEN.

A LITTLE OVER A YEAR AGO YOU TOOK OVER.

HOW IS IT WORKING WITH LIN MANUEL AGAIN?

AMAZING.

HAS HE CHANGED FROM THE YOUNG MAN AT BEGINNING OF BRILLIANT CAREER TO GUY AT HEIGHT OF HIS CAREER SO FAR?

NO.

THAT'S WHAT'S SO WONDERFUL ABOUT HIM.

HE'S THE PERSON THAT WHEN YOU TALK TO HIM, HE MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE IN THE ROOM.

HE FEELS THAT WAY.

WHAT YOU SAY IS IMPORTANT AND HE'S LOYAL AND INCREDIBLE FRIEND.

HE'S LIKE FAMILY TO ME.

THAT HASN'T CHANGED.

IT'S BEEN WONDERFUL BEING BACK AT RICHARD ROGERS.

I WASN'T SURE HOW I WOULD FEEL.

THEN I WALKED THROUGH THE STAGE DOOR AND ALL THE SAME CREW FROM IN THE HEIGHTS TLT AND WORKS WITH TOMMY KOOEL AND IN SOME DRESSING ROOM.

IT'S A LOT NICER NOW, I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

DRESSING ROOM NUMBER 8.

I HAVE SO MANY MEMORIES FROM THAT TIME.

WHEN I WENT BACK ON TO THE STAGE, IT WAS LIKE COMING HOME.

AND TO SING HIS MUSIC IS SO COMFORTABLE.

YOU HEAR HIM THROUGHOUT THAT SCORE, THE BRILLIANCE OF THE DIRECTION AND EVERYTHING, IT'S -- ALL OF THOSE GUYS ARE MY FAMILY.

HAVE YOU WORKED WITH HIM, DID THAT PREPARE YOU?

I THINK SO.

I KNOW HOW HE WRITES.

HOW HE BENDS THE NOTE AS A SINGER, I HEAR THAT.

I THINK THAT'S IMPORTANT BECAUSE RHYTHMS, I THINK -- BUT, 'HAMILTON' -- 'IN THE HEIGHTS' WHEN I HEARD LIN DO LIGHTS UP ON WASHINGTON HEIGHTS.

AGENT TOLD ME A YOUNG GUY WROTE SHOW ABOUT LATINOS AND WANTS YOU TO COME AND PLAY THE ROLE FOR READING WHERE WE SIT AROUND THE TABLE TO READ OUT OF BOOKS.

LIN IS LIKE I KNOW YOU DON'T KNOW THE SONGS SO I'M JUST GOING TO SING EVERYTHING.

THAT'S PRETTY MUCH LIN.

WHEN HE STARTED, IT WAS THIS MAGNET, THIS LIGHT CAME INTO THE ROOM.

THAT'S HOW IT IS NOW.

IT'S -- NO MATTER WHAT HE WORKS ON, HE LIGHTS UP THE ROOM.

AND I THINK THE INCREDIBLE THING ABOUT LIN IS HIS LOYALTY AND HIS ABILITY TO COLLABORATE.

TURN TO YOUR NEW ALBUM.

FIRST DEBUT -- DEBUT OF FIRST SOLO ALBUM.

FINALLY, WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?

I'VE BEEN BUSY!

WHEN I FIRST MOVED TO NEW YORK GOAL WAS TO BE ON BROADWAY, NEXT GOAL WAS MAKE AN ALBUM.

TAKEN ME A LITTLE BIT LONGER FOR THE SECOND GOAL BUT I FEEL LIKE NOW'S THE TIME AND NOW I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY AND GIVE AND INSPIRE.

THAT'S WHAT I WANTED THIS --

IT'S WONDERFUL ALBUM.

I HOPE PEOPLE BELIEVE WHEN I SAY THAT.

IT'S GREAT.

TITLE SONG 'FEARLESS' WRITTEN BY LIN MANUEL MIRANDA.

GIVE ME THE STORY.

PUTTING TO THE THE ALBUM, SO MUCH HAPPENED IN MY LIFE.

ON 'HAMILTON' AND BEEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SEEN -- THERE'S SO MUCH INFORMATION HAPPENING ON SOCIAL MEDIA, AND I WANTED TO GIVE INFORMATION WITH POSITIVE IMPACT.

WONDERED HOW I COULD DO THAT.

FIGURED I WANTED TO START A FEARLESS SQUAD BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE I WOULDN'T BE WHERE I AM WITHOUT THE FEARLESS SQUAD I HAD IN MY LIFE.

I THINK EVERYBODY NEEDS A FEARLESS SQUAD, DON'T YOU?

DEFINITELY.

I DECIDED THE WAY TO DO THAT WAS THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA.

STARTED #FEARLESSSQUAD AND PUT UP A PICTURE OF MY FRIENDS AND IT JUST TOOK OFF, BECAME THIS INSPIRATION THAT I HAD THAT BECAME A MOVEMENT.

AND ALL THESE YOUNG PEOPLE, MOTHERS, PARENTS, WANTED TO BE PART OF THIS FEARLESS SQUAD.

HOW CAN WE HELP?

I HEAR THAT TODAY.

HOW CAN I HELP.

THIS IS A WAY TO COME TOGETHER, TALK, SUPPORT ONE ANOTHER'S DREAMS.

WE CAN TALK.

NO JUDGMENT.

INSPIRATION FOR THE SONG?

FOR THE ALBUM.

IT'S REALLY INSPIRING TOO.

DUET WITH CHRIS JACKSON.

WE HAVE TO RUN BUT GOING TO BE AT CARLISLE SINGING THESE?

DEBUTING AT CARLISLE AND BEEN A DREAM SINCE I SAW BOBBY SHORT IN WOODY ALLEN TO PLAY CARLISLE.

YOU HAVE TO COME BACK MORE OFTEN.

WOULD LOVE IT.

MANDY GONZALEZ, DEBUT SOLO ALBUM AND ALSO IN HAMILTON:THE MUSICAL ON BRAD AWAY.

Announcer: FUNDING FOR THIS

Funders

MetroFocus is made possible by James and Merryl Tisch, Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Sylvia A. and Simon B. Poyta Programming Endowment to Fight Anti-Semitism, Bernard and Irene Schwartz, Rosalind P. Walter, Barbara Hope Zuckerberg, Jody and John Arnhold, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Family, Janet Prindle Seidler, Judy and Josh Weston and the Dr. Robert C. and Tina Sohn Foundation.

WNET

© WNET All Rights Reserved.

825 Eighth Avenue

New York, NY 10019