August 4, 2016: After Bratton. Ally Hilfiger. Millennials Income.

Tonight, on Tuesday, NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton announced that he will be stepping down from his post next month. We listened in on his press conference where he thanked those who supported him through his 45 year-long career in the public eye. But what lies in store for the New York Police Department after Bratton takes his leave? Journalist Ellis Henican joins us to discuss what’s next for the Big Apple.

Then, Ally Hilfiger’s childhood was not easy despite being the daughter of renowned fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger. Her arduous health ordeal began at the age of seven when she was bitten by a tick. Her test was inconclusive, and for years she dealt with unbearable pain and misdiagnoses- from rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis, to fibromyalgia. The pain being too great, Hilfiger says she turned to marijuana for relief. Her habit ultimately led to her being committed to a psychiatric hospital. In her new book Bite Me: How Lyme Disease Stole My Childhood, Made me Crazy, and Almost Killed Me, Hilfiger opens up about her personal battle with Lyme disease, and shares how she hopes to help others.

Finally, it turns out millennials – or those born between 1985 and 1996 – as defined by New York City Comptroller Scott Stringer, are significantly worse off than the generation before them. In fact, the job market they entered several years ago during the Great Recession was similar to that of the Great Depression, or at least according to Scott Stringer. A recent report from his office shows millennials are struggling to make ends meet, earning 20 percent less than their predecessors did in the 1990s. The Comptroller joins us to talk more about his findings and tell us what the city needs to do in order to help this stalled generation.

TRANSCRIPT

RESIGNATION OF NEW YORK'S TOP COP, WILLIAM BRATTON, WHY IS HE REALLY RESIGNING?

WHAT'S HIS LEGACY?

AND IS JIMMY O'NEAL THE RIGHT MAN FOR THE JOB?

WE'LL INVESTIGATE.

> PLUS, LYME DISEASE IS ON THE RISE WITH CASES SURGING 62% LAST YEAR IN STATEN ISLAND ALONE.

OUR REGION IS CONSIDERED GROUND ZERO FOR CONTRACTING THE DISEASE AND IT'S CONSEQUENCES COULD BE DEVASTATING.

> IN A MOMENT ALLY HILFIGER TALKS ABOUT HOW THE DISEASE ALMOST DESTROYED HER LIFE AND EVEN LED TO A STINT IN THE PSYCH WARD.

THIS IS AN INTERVIEW YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS.

> AND WILL MILLENNIALS BE FOREVER KNOWN ADDS THE RECESSION GENERATION?

CITY COMPTROLLER SCOTT STRINGER IS HERE WITH ALARMING STATISTICS.

ALL THAT AND MORE AS 'METROFOCUS' STARTS RIGHT NOW.

♪ ♪

Announcer: THIS IS 'METROFOCUS' WITH RAFAEL PI ROMAN, JACK FORD AND JENNA FLANAGAN.

FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS PROVIDED BY --

> SWEEPING CHANGES COMING TO NEW YORK'S FINEST.

ON TUESDAY POLICE COMMISSIONER BILL BRATTON ANNOUNCED THAT HE WILL BE STEPPING DOWN FROM THE TOP JOB IN SEPTEMBER THEREBY ENDING A 45-YEAR CAREER IN PUBLIC SERVICE THAT HAS SEEN HIM TRANSFORM NOT ONLY THE NYPD, BUT ALSO THE POLICE FORCES IN BOSTON AND LOS ANGELES.

HIS LEGACY IN NEW YORK CITY WILL LIKELY CENTER AROUND THE MASSIVE REDUCTION IN CRIME THAT OCCURRED DURING HIS FIRST TENURE AS NEW YORK'S POLICE COMMISSIONER IN THE EARLY '90s AND THE CRIME FIGHTING TECHNIQUES HE CHAMPIONED DURING HIS TIME AT ONE POLICE PLAZA.

DESPITE HIS HISTORIC AND EVEN LEGENDARY SUCCESSES A NUMBER OF THE POLICING INNOVATIONS HE INTRODUCED HAVE BEEN INCREASINGLY CRITICIZED FOR ALLEGEDLY TARGETING MINORITIES AND ENCROACHING ON CIVIL LIBERTIES.

JUST DAYS BEFORE MAYOR de BLASIO ANNOUNCED BRATTON'S DEPARTURE DOZENS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED OUTSIDE CITY HALL CALLING FOR HIS REMOVAL.

THE SPOTLIGHT NOW TURNS TO BRATTON'S REPLACEMENT JIMMY O'NEAL WHO IS NOW THE TOP UNIFORMED OFFICER AND 30-YEAR VETERAN OF THE FORCE.

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM THE NEW MAN AT THE TOP AND HOW WILL BRATTON'S TWO TERMS AS NEW YORK CITY POLICE COMMISSIONER BE REMEMBERED?

SOME OF THE QUESTIONS FOR ELLIS HENICAN WHO JOINED ME NOW.

GOOD TO SEE.

YOU YOU'VE BEEN COVERING BRATTON SINCE HE HEADED THE TRANSIT POLICE BACK IN 1990.

190.

HE SHOWED UP AS A COCKY YOUNG POLICE COMMANDER FROM BOSTON.

HE IS NOT AS YOUNG ANYMORE BUT HE STILL HAS THE ACCENT.

AS I SAID IN THE INTRODUCTION THESE ARE VERY CHALLENGING TIMES FOR THE NYPD, FOR THE POLICE FORCE HERE AS THEY ARE ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

YOU KNOW THAT BRATTON IS NOT THE KIND OF GUY WHO WALKS AWAY FROM A CHALLENGE SO WHY IS HE WALKING AWAY NOW?

IS IT REALLY ALL ABOUT THE BENG MINUTES AND THIS NEW JOB HE HAS GOTTEN.

I THINK HE WANTS TO MAKE A BUCK, HE'S BEEN IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR FOR A LONG TIME AND IS READY TO MAKE SOME MONEY.

I THINK HE HAS DONE WHAT HE THOUGHT HE WANTED TO DO IN THIS SECOND TERM.

DON'T FORGET, NEITHER ONE OF HIS RUNS WAS VERY LONG, A COUPLE YEARS THE FIRST TIME, THREE YEARS THIS TIME.

THE FIRST TIME NOT VOLUNTARILY.

HE LEAVES CLEARLY VOLUNTARILY THIS TIME.

BILL BRATTON WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY TO HAVE HIM AROUND.

YOU MEAN de BLASIO.

DeBLASIO.

DESPITE THOSE PROTESTS

TO WHAT DEGREE DO YOU THINK CORRUPTION CHARGES LEVELED AT SOME OF THE TOP COPS IN THE CITY BY THE FEDS AND MORE IMPORTANTLY THE INCREASING PUSH BACK AGAINST THE SIGNATURE POLICING TECHNIQUE, THE BROKEN WINDOWS POLICING, HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH HIS DEPARTURE NOW?

WELL, YOU KNOW, IT PROBABLY MAKES THE JOB A LITTLE LESS FUN BUT DON'T FORGET IN HIS EARLIER TERM CRIME WAS THE ISSUE, WE WERE HAVING MORE THAN 2,000 HOMICIDES A YEAR, NOW WE'RE DOWN TO 300 AND CHANGE.

TODAY THE ISSUE IS LESS SOARING CRIME THAN IT IS THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE POLICE AND THE COMMUNITIES THAT THEY ARE SWORN TO PROTECT AND TO SERVE.

THAT'S WHERE ALL THE FOCUS IS RIGHT NOW.

SOME OF HIS CRITICS SAY THAT THAT'S WHERE HE FAILS AND MAYBE -- MIGHT HE FEEL THAT IF HE STAYS ON THAT HIS REPUTATION AS SOMEBODY WHO COULD NOT HEAL THE COMMUNITY POLICE RELATIONS MIGHT BE TARNISHED?

YOU KNOW, I THINK POLICE ACROSS THE COUNTRY ARE REDEFINING THOSE RELATIONSHIPS.

RIGHT?

THE OCCUPYING ARMY, THE HEAVILY MILITARIZED POLICE DEPARTMENTS, I THINK WE'VE COME TO SEE SOME OF THE LIMITATIONS OF THAT APPROACH AND NEW YORK, LIKE OTHER CITIES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, IS STARTING TO FIGURE OUT, WELL, WHAT COMES NEXT, IS IT COMMUNITY POLICING, IS IT SOME LIGHTER VERSION OF STOP AND FRISK?

AND I DON'T THINK WE KNOW THE ANSWERS TO THAT YET.

TALK ABOUT THE de BLASIO AND BRATTON RELATIONSHIP.

IN THAT PRESS CONFERENCE IT LOOKED LIKE GENUINE MUTUAL APPRECIATION, MUTUAL RESPECT.

IS THERE A REAL FRIENDSHIP THERE?

I DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD CALL IT A PERSONAL FRIENDSHIP BUT I THINK THERE'S GREAT GRATITUDE.

THINK ABOUT ALL THE THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN DIFFICULT FOR de BLASIO IN HIS TERM AND HOW HIS VARIOUS COMMISSIONERS HAVE SERVED AND NOT SERVED HIM SO WELL.

BILL BRATTON -- I WOULD SAY IS REALLY HIS BEST HIRE.

I MEAN, IT'S THE ONE GUY THAT HE HAS GOTTEN REALLY PRETTY GOOD PUBLICITY OVERALL, THERE HASN'T BEEN A HUGE INCREASE IN CRIME AND I THINK THE MAYOR GIVEN SOME OF THE TOUGH TIMES HE HAS HAD IS PRETTY GRATEFUL TO THE COMMISSIONER.

SO JIMMY O'NEAL IS TAKING OVER, HE IS THE HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT.

CHIEF OF THE DEPARTMENT.

RIGHT NOW.

YEAH.

IS HE THE RIGHT MAN FOR THE JOB?

IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE.

GIVEN THE PROFILE OF BILL BRATTON AND RAY KELLY WHO REALLY WERE CELEBRITY POLICE POSITIONS.

I BET YOU A WEEK AGO NOT ONE IN TEN -- PROBABLY NOT ONE IN 100 NEW YORKERS COULD TELL YOU WHO JIMMY O'NEAL WAS.

HE IS A 30-YEAR GUY IN THE DEPARTMENT, HE KNOWS IT INSIDE AND OUT BUT HE DOESN'T HAVE THAT PUBLIC PERSONA THAT EITHER ONE OF THOSE OTHER TWO GUYS HAVE.

BUT DOES HE HAVE THE POLITICAL SAVVY THAT BRATTON HAD TO, FOR EXAMPLE, FIGHT BACK AGAINST THE PUSH AGAINST BROKEN WINDOWS, THAT IT'S NOT ONLY BEING PUSHED BACK BY BLACK LIVES MATTER OR DEMONSTRATORS BUT THE MAJORITY OF CITY COUNCIL.

WE DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT IN FULL BUT WE HAVE SOME HIPS.

THERE IS NO ORGANIZATION MORE POLITICAL THAN THE NEW YORK CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT AND BEING ABLE TO MANEUVER YOUR WAY FROM PATROLMAN TO CHIEF OF THE DEPARTMENT, THE TOP UNIFORM JOB, TAKES A LOT OF POLITICAL SKILL.

WHETHER THAT WILL TRANSFER INTO THE DIVERSE POLITICS OF NEW YORK CITY AT LARGE, I DON'T THINK WE KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT.

BY THE WAY, BROKEN WINDOWS IS THE THEORY ESSENTIALLY IN A NUTSHELL THAT IF YOU TAKE CARE OF THE SMALL INFRACTIONS QUALITY OF LIFE INFRACTIONS LIKE PUBLIC NUISANCES, PUBLIC DRINKING, PUBLIC SMOKING OF JOINTS OR FAIR BEATING THAT LARGER CRIMES WILL TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES.

DO YOU THINK IT'S TIME TO END BROKEN WINDOWS?

DO YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK WE'VE LEARNED IN THOSE LAST 30 YEARS, IS THAT EACH OF THOSE THEORIES, WHETHER IT BE BROKEN WINDOWS, WHETHER IT BE COMMUNITY POLICING, STOP AND FRISK, WHATEVER THE SLOGAN OF THE MOMENT, IT HAS SOME VALUABLE INSIGHTS BUT IF THAT'S ALL YOU DO YOU ARE NOT RUNNING A SOPHISTICATED MODERN POLICE DEPARTMENT.

YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE INSIGHTS FROM EACH OF THOSE THINGS AND WEAVE THEM INTO SOME KIND OF MODERN MOSAIC OF POLICING IN THE 21st CENTURY.

LET ME TELL YOU THERE IS NO ONE SLOGAN THAT WILL SOLVE ALL THIS.

WHAT IS BRATTON'S LEGACY LIKELY TO BE?

AS YOU SUGGESTED IN THE OPEN A LOT MORE FOCUS ON THE FIRST TERM.

I THINK HE WAS A MORE ENERGETIC, MORE INNOVATIVE GUY THEN, BUT THE BIGGEST ROLE FOR ANY OF THESE GUYS IS TO KEEP CRIME DOWN.

AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT, THE NUMBERS SAY HE DID A PRETTY GOOD JOB OF THAT.

ALL RIGHT, ELLIS, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

GOOD TO SEE YOU.

♪ ♪

> IMAGINE IF EVERY DAY YOU THOUGHT YOUR LEGS WERE GOING TO FALL OFF FROM THE AMOUNT OF PAIN RUNNING THROUGH THEM.

IMAGINE IF YOU STARTED BLACKING OUT AT VARIOUS POINTS DURING THE DAY.

THAT WAS ALLY HILFIGER THE DAUGHTER OF RENOWNED FASHION DESIGNER TOMMY HILFIGER REVEALING THE EXCRUCIATING PAIN SHE SUFFERED FOR YEARS WHILE BATTLING LYME DISEASE.

HER ORDEAL BEGAN AT THE AGE OF SEVEN WHEN SHE WAS BITTEN BY A TICK.

HER TESTS FOR LYME DISEASE WAS INCONCLUSIVE SO ALONG WITH THE OFTEN UNBEARABLE PAIN, YEARS OF MISDIAGNOSIS FOLLOWED.

AT FIRST SHE WAS THOUGHT TO HAVE NOTHING MORE SERIOUS THAN GROWING PAINS, AT 11 IT WAS RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS OR MAYBE MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS.

AT 16 IT WAS FIBROMYALGIA.

THEN WHEN SHE WAS 19 HER DESPERATE FATHER CONVINCED THAT HER PROBLEMS STEMMED FROM A MARIJUANA HABIT HAD HER COMMITTED TO A PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL.

IT WAS ONLY AFTER SHE LEFT THE HOSPITAL THAT SHE WAS FINALLY CORRECTLY DIAGNOSED.

HILFIGER IS NOW TELLING THE ENTIRE STORY OF HER LONG AND PAINFUL STRUGGLE IN HER NEW BOOK 'BITE ME: HOW LYME DISEASE STOLE MY CHILDHOOD, MADE ME CRAZY AND ALMOST FILLED KILLED ME.'

ALLY HILFIGER JOINS ME NOW.

WELCOME.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

THIS IS A WONDERFUL BOOK.

WHEN YOUR MOTHER FIRST SAW THAT TICK ON YOUR BELLY WHEN YOU WERE A LITTLE KIT, ABOUT SEVEN, SHE DID EVERYTHING SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO DO.

SHE PLUCKED IT OFF WITH STERILIZED TWEEZERS, PUT IT IN A TEST TUBE, BROUGHT IT FOR TESTING BUT IT CAME BACK INCONCLUSIVE ON THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF THE SPECTRUM.

HOW COULD THAT BE SINCE YOU DID CONTRACT LYME DISEASE, HOW COULD THEY HAVE MADE SUCH A MISTAKE?

UNFORTUNATELY MY STORY IS NO DIFFERENT THAN MANY OTHERS IN THAT MANY PEOPLE'S BLOOD TESTS COME BACK ICONCLUSIVE OR WITH FALSE NEGATIVES.

SOMETIMES EVEN WITH FALSE POSITIVES.

HOWEVER, MOST OF THE CASES IT'S FALSE NEGATIVES.

YOU KNOW, WE HAVE VERY ARCHAIC TESTING AND THAT'S WHAT WE'RE TRYING TO STILL OUT.

STILL?

YES.

WE'RE TRYING TO FIGURE OUT A BETTER WAY TO DIAGNOSE AND TEST.

GIVE US A SENSE OF HOW YOUR HEALTH BEGAN TO DETERIORATE.

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY AND HOW THAT AFFECTED YOUR ENTIRE CHILDHOOD.

RIGHT.

WELL, I STARTED OUT WITH PAIN IN MY LEGS AND MY JOINTS AND MY KNEES, MY MUSCLES, STREP THROAT AND HEADACHES AND, YOU KNOW, IT WAS DIFFICULT BECAUSE I THOUGHT THAT MAYBE OTHER PEOPLE HAD THIS PAIN AND WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT THEY DIDN'T I FELT DIFFERENT, AND WHEN THEY COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT IT WAS THERE WAS NO SOLUTION, THEN I FELT LIKE I WAS OVER -- LIKE I WAS A BABY.

AND THEN I HAD A MAJOR SNOW BOARDING ACCIDENT AT THE AGE OF 13 AND THE LYME DISEASE -- OR WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO ME SEEMED TO HAVE BEEN EXACERBATED AND IT WENT TO MY BRAIN AND I STARTED HAVING FAINTING SPELLS, A LOT OF COGNITIVE ISSUES.

MY READING SKILLS WENT DOWN THE DRAIN AND MY MEMORY AND RETENTION SKILLS WENT OUT THE WINDOW.

YOU MARRIED A CAMERA AROUND SO THAT YOU COULD PHOTOGRAPH AND FILM THINGS SO THAT YOU WOULD REMEMBER THEM.

YES.

AS A KID.

UNBELIEVABLE.

YES.

AND THE WORST PART OF IT, WHAT WAS SO STRIKING AND SAD TO ME, THE WORST PART OF IT WAS NOT EVEN ALL THIS PAIN FOR YOU, IT WAS THAT PEOPLE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT YOU HAD AND YOU -- TELL US ABOUT THAT.

WELL, YOU KNOW, IT'S KIND OF LONELY BECAUSE YOU FEEL A CERTAIN WAY AND YOU'RE TOLD, OH, IT'S THIS OR IT'S THAT, BUT THERE'S NOTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT IT AND YOU'RE PROBABLY GOING TO BE OKAY.

WHEN THE SYMPTOMS KEEP GETTING WORSE -- YOU KNOW, I DON'T WANT TO SOUND LIKE A COMPLAINER TO MY PARENTS WHO WERE DOING EVERYTHING THAT THEY POSSIBLY COULD, BRINGING ME TO ALL THE DOCTORS, AND, YOU KNOW, IT'S REALLY SCARY NOT HAVING ANSWERS.

AT ONE POINT I JUST SHUT MY MOUTH, I JUST KIND OF GAVE UP AND I SAID --

SO YOU PUT UP WITH ALL THE SYMPTOMS.

I MEAN, YOU WERE KIND OF LIKE -- LIKE YOU WERE POISONED EVERY DAY.

YOU WERE SUFFERING FROM POISON BUT YOU HAD TO PUT UP WITH IT BECAUSE YOU SAID --

I THOUGHT EVERYONE WAS JUST AS TIRED AS I WAS.

IT WAS BEYOND A FATIGUE THAT YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND AND IT CAME TO A HEAD WHERE THE SYMPTOMS WERE COMPLETELY UNBEARABLE AND UNIGNOREABLE.

IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO IGNORE THAT THERE WAS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG.

NOW, IT GOT TO A POINT AS I SAID IN THE INTRODUCTION WHERE THE THINGS THAT YOU SAID WERE SO ODD AND SOME OF THE THINGS THAT YOU DID WERE SO BIZARRE THAT YOUR FATHER, AS I SAID, ASSUMED THAT YOU HAD A MARIJUANA HABIT BECAUSE, IN FACT, HE WENT TO YOU ONE TIME AND SAID WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU, YOU SAID THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO FOR ME A GET ME MORE POT.

WHY WAS THAT, BY THE WITH A I?

THE MARIJUANA HELPED THE NOWSCH IS THAT, THE CHRONIC DEBILITATING NAUSEA AND JOINT PAIN.

I WAS TIRED ALREADY SO IT DIDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

YOU KNOW, IT GOT ME THROUGH SOME REALLY PAINFUL TIMES.

SO --

PHYSICALLY.

HE DECIDED THAT THE ONLY THING HE COULD DO WAS COMMIT YOU TO A PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL.

YES.

PHYSICALLY HE DID.

PHYSICALLY.

ON TOP OF THAT I WAS SUFFERING FROM A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN AND NOT MAKING SENSE, I WASN'T ABLE TO PUT SENTENCES TOGETHER, I WAS BABBLING AND TALKING TO MYSELF.

I MEAN, I HAD GONE CRAZY.

PSYCHOTIC.

PSYCHOTIC.

IT WAS PSYCHOTIC.

THAT WAS PART OF THE LYME DISEASE.

THAT'S CORRECT.

THAT'S CORRECT.

A LOT OF PEOPLE WITH LYME DO HAVE PSYCHOTIC BREAKS AND SOMETIMES DON'T RETURN FROM THEM.

REALLY?

SO I'M VERY LUCKY AND VERY GRATEFUL THAT HE PUT ME IN A PRESIDENT WHO.

THANK GOD.

YOU'RE GRATEFUL NOW BUT SOMETIMES YOU SAY YOU THINK ABOUT IT AND IT STILL MAKES YOU MAD, BUT THAT SAVED YOUR LIFE.

IT DID.

EXPLAIN THAT.

WELL, WHEN I WENT INTO THE HOSPITAL I WAS VERY ANGRY AND I HAD NO IDEA WHY I WAS THERE, WAKING UP IN A PSYCHIATRIC WARD IS NOBODY'S DREAM, IT WAS ACTUALLY QUITE THE OPPOSITE, IT WAS A NIGHTMARE.

AS THE TIME WENT ON I MET A WONDERFUL DIFFERENT THERE, DR.

ELLEN SHAN FORD BASED OUT OF STANFORD AND SHE LISTENED TO ME AND TOOK ME SERIOUSLY AS A PERSON AND ONCE I GOT OUT OF THERE I SAT IN HER OFFICE AND I TRUSTED HER ENOUGH TO SAY, LISTEN, WE'VE GONE TO MANY, MANY DOCTORS AND NOBODY HAS DONE ANYTHING AND THERE IS NOTHING -- I FEEL HORRIBLY.

THESE ARE ALL OF THE SYMPTOMS AND I'M STILL IN PAIN.

THIS IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY BEFORE I ENTERED INTO THE HOSPITAL AND THERE IS -- STILL NOBODY HAS DONE ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

AND SHE SAID, I REALLY THINK YOU HAVE LYME DISEASE.

I SAID, OH, NO, NO I'VE BEEN TESTED FOR THAT, THEY THINK IT'S FIBROMYALGIA.

SHE SAID, I'M SORRY TO TELL YOU BUT THE TESTS ARE HIGHLY INACCURATE I'M GOING TO SEND YOU TO A FEW MORE DOCTORS.

THE TESTS CAME BACK THROUGH THE ROOF LYME DISEASE.

AND THE CO-INFECTION.

SO AFTER YOU WERE DIAGNOSED YOU GOT THE CORRECT TREATMENT AND YOU WERE GOOD AT NEW, RIGHT?

NOPE.

WHAT HAPPENED THEN?

WHAT HAPPENED THEN?

I WISH.

WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT IT WAS, IN FACT, LYME DISEASE, HARD CORE LYME DISEASE, I WAS LIKE I FEEL LIKE I WON THE LOTTERY, YES.

THEN YOU GO ON YOUR MERRY BAY TO THE PHARMACY AND GET THE ANTIBIOTICS AND UNFORTUNATELY THEY -- I MEAN, LISTEN, THEY DID A LOT OF GOOD.

THEY REALLY DID, BUT AFTER A LONG COURSE OF ANTIBIOTICS AND FEELING WELL I WOULD GO BACK TO WORK AND BACK TO LIFE AND RELAPSE AGAIN.

AND THIS WENT ON -- AND THEN I WOULD HAVE TO GO BACK ON ANTIBIOTICS AND ON AND ON AND ON.

AND I TRIED EVERY ANTIBIOTIC, EVERY TREATMENT.

MIXED WITH THE CO-INFECTION, WHICH IS THE COUSIN TO MALARIA, IF YOU WILL, IT REALLY IS MORE COMPLICATED THING TO DEAL WITH.

AND, YOU KNOW, SO MANY TIMES I WAS LIKE, ANOTHER ONE?

I CAN'T DO THIS AGAIN.

I CAN'T DO THIS AGAIN.

AND SO WE TURNED TO HOMEOPATHY AND CLEAN LIVING AND DETOXING WITH DIFFERENT HERBS AND EVERYTHING AND WE MOVED TO CALIFORNIA AND ULTIMATELY I THINK THAT THAT MADE IT MORE MANAGEABLE.

REALLY?

HOW ARE YOU DOING NOW?

HOW ARE YOU FEELING NOW?

MANAGED.

I AM MANAGED TODAY.

I'M ALSO ABLE TO BE HONEST WITH MYSELF IF I'M STARTING TO FEEL UNWELL, I HAVE A TOOLBOX AND I CAN DIVE INTO THAT TOOLBOX AND CALL DIFFERENT THERAPISTS OR HEALERS OR DOCTORS AND DO DIFFERENT MEDITATIONS, GO ON DIFFERENT DIETS, GO AND, YOU KNOW, SEE PEOPLE WHO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER OR GO TO A PLACE THAT MAKES ME FEEL WELL AND SAY, LISTEN, I HAVE TO DO A LITTLE BIT LESS, I'M AN OX IN THE CHINESE ZODIAC AND A REAL WORKER AND I'M ALSO A NEW MOM.

MY ENERGY LEVEL CAN BE COMPROMISED SOMETIMES AND I HAVE TO BE HONEST ABOUT HOW I FEEL AND I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO SAY, LISTEN, I NEED TO TAKE A LITTLE BIT OF A BREAK AND TAKE CARE OF MYSELF.

AND LYME DISEASE IS ONLY GOTTEN WITH A BITE FROM A TICK, CAN YOU PASS IT ON TO YOUR CHILD, FOR EXAMPLE?

YOU KNOW, THAT'S NOT PROVEN RIGHT NOW.

THERE ARE RESEARCHERS ARE LOOKING INTO ALL OF THAT.

FORTUNATELY WHEN I BECAME PREGNANT I HAD A LOT OF DOCTORS TEST ME AND, YOU KNOW, THEY SAID I WAS CLEAR OF ACTIVE LYME.

OF COURSE, MY SYSTEM FLARES UP SOMETIMES BECAUSE IT WAS DAMAGED FOR SO MANY YEARS.

SO THERE IS NO PROOF YET.

THEY ARE LOOKING INTO ALL OF THAT.

MY BABY GIRL IS HEALTHY AS CAN BE AND HEALTHY AND SMART, THANK GOODNESS, AND, YOU KNOW, MAYBE OTHER INSECTS COULD PASS IT ON I'M THINKING.

I THINK.

YOU KNOW, THE THING THAT SURPRISED ME -- ONE OF THE REASONS YOU WERE MISDIAGNOSED FOR 11 YEARS, AND I WAS SURPRISED TO READ THIS IN THE BOOK, IS BECAUSE DOCTORS HAVE A BIAS AGAINST DIAGNOSING FOR LYME DISEASE.

IN FACT, THERE ARE SOME DOCTORS STILL WHO WON'T BELIEVE THAT LYME DIZ EXISTS.

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

I REALLY DON'T KNOW.

MAYBE THE ONLY EXPLANATION THAT I CAN COME UP WITH IS THAT IT'S SO COMPLICATED AND SO DIFFICULT TO PINPOINT AND TO UNDERSTAND THAT THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND IT YET.

AND WHEN YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND SOMETHING, YOU DON'T WANT TO GET INVOLVED, YOU DON'T WANT TO GET BLAMED.

RIGHT.

SO THAT COULD BE IT.

IT'S BEYOND ME.

AND SO SAD THING AND FRUSTRATING TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE SO SICK AND THE DOCTOR IS LIKE, NOPE, NOT GOING TO ACKNOWLEDGE IT.

HOPEFULLY SOME OF THOSE DOCTORS WILL BE READING YOUR BOOK.

HOW COMMON IS LYME DISEASE?

OH, MY GOODNESS.

IT IS SPREADING AT A RAPID PACE.

IT IS A GROWING EPIDEMIC IN OUR COUNTRY.

IT IS ABOVE PROBABLY WHAT THE CDC SAYS AND, YOU KNOW, IT'S HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF AMERICANS IN 50 STATES, IN 80 COUNTRIES AND PEOPLE ARE DYING.

PEOPLE ARE DYING FROM LYME DISEASE AND PEOPLE DON'T KNOW THAT, EITHER.

SO WHAT DO YOU SAY TO SOMEBODY WHO IS SUFFERING FROM THE SAME KIND OF DESPAIR AND THE PAIN THAT YOU WERE SUFFERING FROM JUST A FEW YEARS AGO AND MAY BE LISTENING TO US NOW?

I WOULD SAY KEEP A GLIMMER OF LIGHT AND HOPE AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, WHATEVER THAT GOAL MIGHT BE.

MAYBE IT'S TO WRITE YOUR STORY DOWN, MAYBE IT'S TO BE ALIVE FOR YOUR GRANDCHILDREN, AND TO KEEP YOUR EYE ON THAT AND TO WATCH A LOT OF FUNNY MOVIES IN BETWEEN BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR AND LIFT YOUR SPIRITS BECAUSE -- AND THIS BOOK IS NOT ONLY FOR PEOPLE WITH LYME DISEASE, THIS IS FOR AWARENESS, IT'S GREAT AWARENESS, BUT MY STORY OFFERS A LOT OF HOPE.

WITH ANYTHING THAT ONE MIGHT BE GOING THROUGH AND TO KEEP YOUR EYE ON THAT LIGHT.

MY FATHER TAUGHT ME THIS.

TO KEEP YOUR EYE ON THAT GOAL, NO MATTER HOW DARK THAT TUNNEL BECOMES, YOU KEEP YOUR EYE ON THAT LIGHT.

AND WHAT DO YOU SAY -- I MEAN, SUMMER IS ALMOST UPON US, PEOPLE WILL BE GOING OUT TO THE GREAT OUTDOORS, MANY OF THEM TO WHERE PARTICULARS PRE NATE OR PARTICULARS CARRYING LYME DISEASE PREDOMINATE AND YOU'RE SAYING IT'S MORE COMMON IN MORE PLACES --

IT'S IN CENTRAL PARK, IT'S IN KENTUCKY, IT'S IN MISSOURI.

IT'S EVERYWHERE.

SO WHAT SHOULD PEOPLE DO?

SPRAY YOURSELF DOWN WITH TICK SPRAY.

TICK SPRAY.

TICK SPRAY.

WEAR LIGHT CLOTHING.

TUCK YOUR PANTS INTO YOUR SOCKS, YOU WILL LOOK LIKE A DORK BUT WHO CARES?

AND JUST SPRAY YOURSELF DOWN AND CHECK FOR PARTICULARS.

CHECK FOR TICKS.

THAT'S HOW MY MOTHER FOUND MY TICK.

IT'S A HARROWING BOOK BUT IT'S HARD TO PUT DOWN.

IT'S REALLY -- IT'S REALLY WELL DONE AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WRITING IT AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HERE.

THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

SNOEP ♪ ♪♪ ♪ ♪

> THE GREAT DEPRESSION ACCORDING TO OUR NEXT GUEST THAT'S THE LAST TIME A GENERATION ENTERING THE NEW YORK CITY WORKFORCE HAD IT AS BAD AS TODAY'S SO-CALLED MILLENNIALS.

LESS THAN A DECADE AGO SOME OF THESE 20 AND 30 SOMETHINGS WERE BUSY TRYING TO LAND THEIR FIRST JOBS DURING THE GREATEST ECONOMIC DOWNTURN IN ALMOST A CENTURY AND NOW THEY'RE PAYING THE PRICE FOR THAT.

A NEW REPORT FROM CITY COMP FROLER SCOTT STRINGER SAYS MILLENNIALS ARE EARNING 20% LESS THAN THE PREVIOUS GENERATION OF YOUNG WORKERS.

MILLENNIALS HAVE ALSO REPORTEDLY TAKEN A BACK SEAT IN NEW YORK'S ECONOMY DESPITE MAKING UP NEARLY A FIFTH OF THE CITY'S POPULATION.

AND HERE WITH MORE ON THE PLIGHT OF THIS GENERATION OF YOUNG NEW YORKERS AND WHAT CAN BE DONE TO HELP THEM THEM IS COMPTROLLER SCOTT STRINGER.

THANK YOU.

CAN YOU GIVE US A QUICK DEFINITION OR PROFILE OF WHO WE ARE TALKING ABOUT?

THIS IS AN AGE GROUP BETWEEN THE AGES OF 19 AND 31, THEY ARE ACTUALLY THE MAJORITY SEGMENT OF OUR POPULATION REACHING 19% OF NEW YORKERS.

SO WE DO HAVE A CITY THAT IS TRANSFORMING INTO A YOUNGER -- A YOUNGER CITY.

THE MILLENNIALS ARE THE BEST EDUCATED THEY HAVE EVER BEEN IN THIS AGE GROUP, THEY ARE EXCITING, IMPORTANT GROUP OF PEOPLE AND THEY HAVE HAD IT -- THEY HAVE HAD IT PRETTY ROUGH.

IT HAS NOT BEEN EASY ENTERING THE MARKET IN TERMS OF GETTING YOUR FIRST JOB AND THERE ARE SOME REAL ISSUES MAKING SURE THAT THIS GENERATION DOESN'T BETTER THAN THE PRECEDING ONE.

WE WILL GET TO THAT, BUT WHAT MOTIVATED YOU, IS IT BECAUSE THEY ARE SUCH A LARGE PART OF THE POPULATION THAT MOTIVATED YOU TO DO THIS STUDY?

I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT THAT WE FOCUS ATTENTION ON OUR AGE GROUP BECAUSE THESE ARE OUR FUTURE LEADERS, THEY WILL LEAD US IN THE BUSINESS SECTOR, ADVERTISING SECTOR, FUTURE EDUCATORS AND SOME WILL BE FUTURE ELECTED OFFICIALS.

IT'S IMPORTANT TO TAKE A SNAPSHOT WILL HOW THEY'RE DOING AND MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS TO HOW WE CAN PERHAPS HELP THEM AS THEY GET INTO THE JOB MARKET.

ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE ANALYZE WAS THE FACT THAT DURING THE GREAT RECESSION THE FEDERAL AND STATE AND CITY GOVERNMENT DIDN'T SPEND A WHOLE LOT OF ATTENTION THINKING ABOUT THIS GENERATION.

WE WERE SO WORRIED ABOUT OTHER VULNERABLE POPULATIONS WE DIDN'T REALLY CREATE RULES AND REGULATIONS WHILE WE WERE REIGNING IN THE BANKS AS TO WHAT THE DAMAGE WOULD BE TO MILLENNIALS.

SO NOW IS THE TIME TO START THINKING ABOUT HOW ARE THEY DOING.

WHAT WE FOUND IN THE REPORT IS THAT MILLENNIALS TODAY ARE ACTUALLY MAKING 20% LESS THAN THEIR PARENTS AND THAT IS A CONCERN BECAUSE THE GOAL IN SOCIETY IS REALLY THE WAY WE GROW OUR ECONOMY IS TO MAKE SURE THAT KIDS DO BETTER THAN THE PREVIOUS GENERATION.

ELABORATE.

WHAT ARE SOME OF THE ECONOMIC PROBLEMS, THE PRIMARY ECONOMIC PROBLEMS MILLENNIALS ARE FACING IN THIS CITY RIGHT NOW?

WE LOOKED AT THE HOUSING STOCK, THE FACT THAT THE ENTRANCE FEE TO OUR CITY IS 1.2 -- WELL, $1.5 MILLION CONDO OR CO-OP, THE FACT THAT OUR YOUNG PEOPLE CAN'T, YOU KNOW, ACCESS HOUSING IN LARGE PARTS OF OUR CITY, AND WE HAVE TO START TALKING ABOUT STUDENT DEBT.

$84 BILLION IN STUDENT DEBT HAS BEEN ACCUMULATED BY THE MILLENNIALS IN NEW YORK CITY.

THAT'S AN OUTRAGEOUS NUMBER, ESPECIALLY WHEN ENTRY LEVEL WAGES ARE 20% LESS.

SO THEY ARE BEING HIT -- THEY ARE BEING HIT BECAUSE THEY WENT AND TOOK ON THAT DEBT BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO BE BETTER EDUCATED, THEY KNEW THAT EDUCATION WAGS THE PATHWAY TO ECONOMIC SUCCESS --

ALMOST ALL THOSE PROBLEMS THAT YOU MENTION ARE KIND OF MACRO ECONOMIC PROBLEMS, RIGHT?

WITH NATIONAL EVEN GLOBAL DIMENSIONS.

WHAT CAN THE CITY -- GIVE US CONCRETE EXAMPLES OF WHAT THE CITY CAN DO TO HELP MILLENNIALS?

FIRST WE HAVE TO -- WE ARE COMING TO TERMS WITH THIS, WE HAVE TO RAISE THE MINIMUM WAGE, WE HAVE TO SORT OF EXPLORE WHAT'S THE NEXT LARGE ECONOMY WHERE MILLENNIALS CAN DO WELL.

ONE THING OUR STUDY SHOWED THAT WHEN A YOUNG PERSON GETS A JOB IN THE HIGH TECH ARENA, THOSE WAGES ARE NOT LOW WAGE, IN FACT, THEY'RE OPPOSITE THAT SO THEY ACTUALLY HAVE A PATHWAY.

I GUESS THE CONCLUSION OF THE REPORT OR ONE OF THE CONCLUSIONS IS ONCE YOU GET STARTED IN NEW YORK CITY AND YOU ARE A YOUNG PERSON, ONCE YOU FIND A GOOD JOB, ONCE YOU FIND A GOOD PLACE YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY.

YOU ARE UNSTOPPABLE IN NEW YORK CITY.

THAT'S THE GOOD NEWS.

ONCE WE GET THEM UP IN THE AIR, THEY'RE DOING FINE, BUT WE HAVE TO GET THAT RUNWAY A LITTLE LESS CLUTTERED SO THEY CAN DO WELL.

SO BEYOND -- BEYOND THAT, BEYOND THE FACT THAT ONCE THEY GET ON THEIR WAY THEY ARE ON THEIR WAY IS THERE ANY OTHER SILVER LINING THAT YOU DISCOVERED?

AND ASIDE FROM THAT WHAT ARE THE MOST DEPRESSING THINGS YOU DISCOVERED?

WHEN THIS GENERATION MAKES LESS THAN THE PREVIOUS GENERATION THAT'S NOT A GOOD TREND.

WHEN WE SEE MILLENNIALS STUCK IN LOW WAGE JOBS AND THAT IS PART OF OUR LARGER ECONOMY IN NEW YORK CITY, WE HAVE A RECORD NUMBER OF JOBS HERE, 4 MILLION, BUT WE SEE GROWING THOSE LOW WAGE JOBS.

WE DO NEED AS A CITY, AS A GOVERNMENT AND WORKING WITH THE PRIVATE SECTOR WE'VE GOT TO CREATE A PIPELINE TO GOOD JOBS THAT LEAD TO CAREERS.

THAT'S REALLY THE CHALLENGE HERE.

IN THE MEANTIME I THINK THIS REPORT HAS SORT OF FOCUSED ON THE NEXT GENERATION AND WE SHOULD DO MORE OF THAT.

THESE ARE OUR FUTURE LEADERS AND WE CAN'T CLOSE OUR EYES AND THINK THAT THEY ARE GOING TO DO WELL AUTOMATICALLY.

WE SHOULD BE NUDGING AND PUSHING AND MAKING SURE THAT THEY ARE READY TO GO IN THE CITY.

ALL RIGHT.

COMPTROLLER STRINGER, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Announcer: FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS PROVIDED BY --

CORPORATE FUNDING FOR 'METROFOCUS' WAS PROVIDED BY MUTUAL OF AMERICA, YOUR RETIREMENT COMPANY.

AND BY PSE&G, SERVING CUSTOMERS, STRENGTHENING THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY AND INVESTING IN THE FUTURE.

©2021 WNET. All Rights Reserved. 825 Eighth Avenue, New York, NY 10019

WNET is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Tax ID: 26-2810489