Full Episode: Oct. 21, 2015

In the second of a two-part interview, former New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey talks about gay rights, the Supreme Court’s decision on same-sex marriage and coming to accept himself as a “gay American.”

Then, MSNBC’s Joy-Ann Reid will be here to break down the breakdown of American racial politics, which she explores in her book “Fracture: Barack Obama, the Clintons, and the Racial Divide.”

Plus, Fred Kaufman, executive producer of the Emmy Award-winning PBS program “Nature,” shares a sneak peek of the new two-part series, “Pets: Wild At Heart,” which uses special cameras and spy technology to bring viewers an unprecedented look at our furry and feathered friends.

TRANSCRIPT

> TONIGHT, PART TWO OF OU INTERVIEW WITH JIM McGREEVEY TONIGHT, A PERSONAL CONVERSATION ABOUT BEING A GAY AMERICAN AFTER THE SUPREME COURT RULING O MARRIAGE EQUALITY.

THE SPIRE COUNTRY IS STARTING TO TAKE NOTICE AS ELECTION 2016 BEGINS TO TAKE SHAPE AND RAISE JUST ONE OF THE MANY ISSUES IN THE COUNTRY.

WE'LL BE HERE TO BREAK DOWN THE BREAKDOWN OF AMERICA

WE LOVE OUR PETS.

CONSIDER THEM AS PART OF OUR FAMILY AND WE THINK WE KNOW AL ABOUT THEM, BUT DO WE?

IN A MOMENT, THEIR SECRET WORL EXPOSED.

ALL THAT AND MORE AS METRO FOCUS STARTS RIGHT NOW

> THIS IS METRO NOEX FOCUS WITH RAFAEL RA MONO, JACK FORD FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS PROVIDED BY -- CORPORATE FUNDING FOR METRO FOCUS WAS PROVIDED B MUTUAL OF AMERICA, YOU RETIREMENT COMPANY AND BY --

MY LEG HAD ALWAYS HURT A LOT.

I WOULD CRY AND SCREAM AND THE ORIGINAL DIAGNOSIS IS TO AMPUTATE IT.

WITH NEW YORK PRESBYTERIAN, THAT HASN'T HAPPENED.

THEY SAVED WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN.

PEOPLE WERE SURPRISED BY M CHEERLEADING BECAUSE I WAS ABL TO DO ALL THESE FLIPS AND STUF AND NOT BE JUNLED FOR IT NOT BE CRITIQUED FOR IT AND WITH CHEERLEADING, I LEARNED TO D THIS

FROM FERGUSON, MISSOURI T THE STREETS OF STATEN ISLAND WE'RE A NATION THAT SEEMS MORE DIVIDED IN TERMS OF RACE THA THE END OF LEGAL SEGREGATION FIVE DECADES AGO AND AS THE 2016 PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN HEATS UP THE IT'S FRONT AND CENTER.

DO BLACK LIVES MATTER OR AL LIVES MATTER

BLACK LIVES MATTER.

THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY KNOWS THAT ON ANY GIVEN DAY, SOME INNOCENT PERSON LIKE SANDRA BLAND CAN GET INTO A CAR AND THEN THREE DAYS LATER, SHE'S GOING TO END UP DEAD IN JAIL

WHAT WOULD YOU DO FOR AFRICAN-AMERICANS IN THI COUNTRY THAT PRESIDENT OBAMA COULDN'T

WE'VE GOT TO DO MORE ABOU THE LIVES OF THESE CHILDREN.

AND NO NEW DEALS FOR COMMUNITIES.

IN HER NEW BOOK, BARACK OBAMA, THE CLINTS AND THE RACIAL DIVIDE WE LOOK AT THE HISTORY OF RACE IN AMERICAN POLITICS AND AT TH EVOLVING DECISIONS OF RACE WITHIN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY, MOST NOTICEABLY THROUGH TH COMPLEX RELATIONSHIP AND BIL AND HILLARY CLINTON.

JOANNE REED JOINS ME NOW WELCOME TO THE SHOW.

THANK YOU GREAT TO BE HERE

WE'LL TALK ABOUT WHAT W HEARD IN THE CLIP IN A MOMENT, BUT FIRST, I'D LIKE TO ELABORATE A LITTLE MORE ON THE ARGUMEN THAT YOU MAKE IN THE BOOK AN ABOUT WHAT EXACTLY THE FRACTUR THIS YOU WRITE ABOUT IS.

WELL, I THINK THAT THERE AR TWO MAJOR FISHERS I TALK ABOUT AND THE FIRST IS BETWEEN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND THIS NE FIRST AMENDMENT BASE THAT REALLY SWEPT INTO THE PARTY BROKE INTO THE PARTY IN A LOT OF WAYS IN THE AMERICAN SOUTH WHICH WAS RATIFIED BY TH SWEEPING CIVIL RIGHT LEGISLATION OF THE MID 1960s BUT ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER PASSING AND SIGNING THE LAWS, UP TO AND INCLUDING LYNDON JOHNSON, THE DEMOCRATS WERE TRYING TO FIND A WAY TO SOMEWHAT DISTANC THEMSELVES FROM THIS NEW BLACK BASE DID NOT SEEM TO ACCOMMODATE THEM TOO MUCH FROM THE BEGINNING, LEST THEY LOSE THE SUPPORT O WORKING CLASS WHITE VOTERS AND IN FACT, A LOT OF THES LIBERALIZING OF THE PARTY WA HURTING DEMOCRATS AND WHIT VOTERS YOU SAW BILL CLINTON REALL EPITOMIZE THE KIND OF DEMOCRATIC WHO WOULD RECONCILE BENEATH TO KEEP BLACK VOTERS IN THE FOLD, BUT TO KEEP WHITES HAPPY THE SECOND IS ON RACE.

THE IDEA THAT AFRICAN-AMERICAN AND WHITE AMERICANS HAVE FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFEREN EXPECTATIONS WHEN IT COMES T CONERER SAGSS ABOUT RACE

BACK TO BILL CLINTON.

BECAUSE YOU SAY IN THE BOOK THAT IN RECENT SIMS, HE'S ONE OF TH MASTER MINDS OF THIS FRACTUR THAT EXISTS WITHIN THE PARTY BUT HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE HOW DO YOU SQUARE THE CIRCLE O THAT AND THE FACT THAT HE IS A YOU WELL KNOW, CALLED THE FIRS BLACK PRESIDENT AND THAT HE' STILL VERY POPULAR WIT AFRICAN-AMERICANS IN THI COUNTRY.

I TALK A LOT ABOUT BILL CLINTON BECAUSE HE KIND OF EPITOMIZES THE SORT OF CONTRADICTION OF SOUTHER POLITICS, WHICH IS THAT YOU HAVE WHITE POLITICIANS IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO BLACK PEOPLE THAN A LOT OF NORTHERN WHIT POLITICIANS WHO ARE MORE LIBERAL.

THEY'RE LIVING DAY-TO-DAY IN A WORLD IN WHICH BLACK PEOPLE AR RIGHT NEAR THEM, SO, THIS IDEA OF HAVING TO CATER TO BOTH THE MOST CONSERVATIVE WHITE VOTERS WHITE RURAL VOTERS, BUT ALSO T AFRICAN-AMERICANS, IS HELPIN POLITICIANS WIN.

WHERE DOES HILLARY CLINTO COME IN?

THE STUDENT SAID SHE DWAIF THE STRONGEST ANSWER AND WHAT SH SAID REFLECTS WHAT SHE'S BEE SAYING IN THE CAMPAIGN AND FRO MY MEMORY, SAYING THROUGHOUT HER POLITICAL CAREER SO, HOW HAS SHE PLAYED INT THE --

THERE'S THE IRONY IS THAT HILLARY CLINTON AND BILL CLINTON WIND UP IN HUGE TROUBLE WITH THE BLACK COMMUNITY IN 2008 OVER SEVERAL COMMENTS MADE REALLY O THE SAME DAY IN NEW HAMPSHIR ANT LYNDON JOHNSON THAT REALLY REFLECTS WHO HILLARY CLINTON IS AS A POLITICS ESSENTIALLY SAYING SURE, YOU HAVE TO HAVE HOPE AND YOU HAVE TO DREAMS AND ASPIRATIONS, WHICH MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. HAD, BU IT TAKES A PRESIDENT TO ACTUALLY GET POLITICS DONE ON BEHALF OF PEOPLE WHO NEED POLITICS THE MOST, SO SHE WAS MAKING THIS ARGUMENT BETWEEN LBJ AND MLK WHICH STRUCK AFRICAN-AMERICANS AS COMPLETELY DISRESPECTFUL OF BARACK OBAMA BECAUSE HE WASN'T TRYING TO BE MLK HE WAS RUNNING TO BE LBJ LYNDON JOHNSON, SO IT SEEMS TO HAVE PUT HIM OFF AS THE DREAME AND CAST HERSELF AT TH PRAGMATIC POLITICS BUT WHAT SHE WAS SAYING IN 200 THAT GOT HER IN TROUBLE IS WHA SHE'S SAYING NOW, THAT SHE NEEDS TO SEE AND WHAT SHE WANT ACTIVISTS TO DO IS TO TELL HER WHAT ACTIVISTS WANT.

TELL HER WHAT THE PEOPLE WAN AND THEN SHE IS THE PERSON WHO BELIEVES SHE CAN CRAFT THE DONE I THINK SHE REALLY DOES SE HERSELF AS AN LBJ LIKE FIGURE IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

GOING BACK TO PRESIDENT OBAMA AND BACK TO THE SECOND KIND OF FRACTURE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, YOU KNOW, WHEN HE WAS ELECTED, PEOPLE ACROSS AMERICANS ACROSS THE SPECTRUM, EXPECTED THAT HE WOULD HEAL THE RACIAL WOUNDS BIND THE FRACTURED NATION.

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN WHY?

I THINK IT DIDN'T HAPPE BECAUSE WHEN WHITE AMERICA SAY THEY WANT TO HEAL THE NATION'S WOUNDS, WHAT I THINK THE EXPECTATIONS WERE WAS THAT BARACK OBAMA WAS TALK PAST RACE, WHICH HE DID IN 2004 PART OF THE REASON HE BECOME POPULAR IS THAT HE SAYS THERE' NO BLACK AMERICA, NO WHITE, NO RED, NO BLUE, THAT WE COULD COME TOGETHER AROUND A RHETORICAL AGREEMENT THAT THE COUNTRY HAS IMPROVED AND THAT IT'S A PAINFUL PAST, JUST SAYING THAT AND AGREE TOG THAT IS WHAT GETS US PAS RACE THAT'S WHAT I THINK WHIT AMERICA WANTS FROM THE CONVERSATION ON RACE WHERE BLACK AMERICA SAYS THERE IS A BLACK AMERICA AND A WHITE AMERICA, WE CAN SEE IT IN TH STATISTICAL DIVERGENCE O EVERYTHING FROM INCOME T HOUSING OPPORTUNITIES, OPPORTUNITY FOR COLLEGE TO HEALTH CARE.

THERE ARE REALLY TWO AMERICAS OR THREE OR FOUR WHEN YOU COUNT LATINOS, OTHER GROUPS THAT ARE DISFAVORED GROUPS, SO, THE AFRICAN-AMERICANS LOOK AT THIS CONVERSATION ON RACE AND WE SA NO, WHAT WE WANT A BLACK PRESIDENT TO DO IS TO SPEAK TO OUR PAIN TO ARTICULATE SOME OF THE THINGS WE HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR 100, 150 YEAR, BUT NO ONE BELIEVES US WHEN BLACK PEOPLE SAY THE POLICE TREAT US DIFFERENTLY, THEY'R NOT BELIEVED UNTIL YOU SEE VIDEOTAPE EVIDENCE OF IT, BUT P PRESIDENT WHO'S FACED TH TREATMENT CAN SPEAK TO THAT PAIN FROM A PULPIT OF THE WHITE HOUSE, SO I THINK YOU HAVE BLACK AND WHITE AMERICANS JUST WAN VERY DIFFERENT THINGS.

IT TURNS OUT BARACK OBAM SATISFIED NEITHER ONE.

INTERESTING AND FASCINATING BOOK FRACTURED.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HAVIN ME

> IT'S BEEN MORE THAN A DECADE SINCE GOVERNOR McGREEVEY STEPPED DOWN FROM THAT POSITION IN NEW JERSEY YESTERDAY, WE SPOKE TO HIM ABOUT THE WORK HE'S DOING NOW IN TERMS OF PRISON REHABILITATION HE'S BEEN KIND ENOUGH TO COM BACK TO TALK ABOUT SOME OTHE ISSUES THAT ARE IMPORTANT.

GOOD TO SEE YOU.

A SECOND TIME.

LET'S GO BACK TO THAT MORE THA A DECADE AGO, WHEN YOU STEPPED DOWN FROM THE OFFICE OF TH GOVERNOR AND YOU FAMOUSLY AN PROUDLY PROCLAIMED YOU WERE GAY AMERICAN WOULD YOU HAVE EVER ENVISIONED BACK THEN, MORE THAN TEN YEARS AGO, THE SEISMIC CHANGES THA HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN TERMS OF GAY RIGHTS, NOT JUST IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY, WHICH WAS A BIT IN THE FOREFRONT, BUT ALSO IN THE UNITED STATES?

JACK, IT'S UNBELIEVABLE I MEAN, IF I THOUGHT AS A KID, YOU KNOW, FROM JERSEY CITY RIDING MY BICYCLE THAT SOME DAY, THAT WHO I WAS WAS GOING TO BE ACCEPTED, I REMEMBER GOING T THE CARD CATALOG AT THE LOCA LIBRARY LOOKING UP THE WOR HOMOSEXUAL AND THERE WAS NO CARD CATALO SERIES OF ENTRIES AND YOU HAD TO GO TO PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESS AND REMEMBER, I MEAN, EVEN THA SIMPLE DIVERSION, YOU LOOK A HOMOSEXUALITY, SEE PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESSES AND AT THE TIME, THE AMERICAN MEDICAL SOCIETY AND ALL SORTS, LIKE UNIVERSALLY.

IT WAS SOMETHING LIKE I DON' WANT TO OWN THIS THIS IS --

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SAYING YOU WERE SUFFERING FROM A PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESS?

AND SO, JUST TO SEE THE CHANGES AND ACCEPTANCE AND NOT ONLY IN THE POPULAR CULTURE, BUT IN THE FAITH COMMUNITY GOVERNMENT AND SUPREME COURT DECISION, THAT WAS SEISMIC BECAUSE WHAT IT SAID WAS I SOMEBODY'S NOT GREATER THAN OR SOMEBODY'S LESS THAN, I REMEMBER AS SORT OF BEING GOVERNOR AN YOU KNOW, YOU'RE AT THE APEX O THE POLITICAL FOOD CHAIN AND THE NEXT DAY, YOU KNOW AFTER COMING OUT ANNOUNCING THAT I'M GAY, YOU KNOW, SORT OF REALIZING, THANKS TO FRIENDS AND KEVIN JENNINGS AND NUMEROU FRIENDS, BECOMING AWARE OF ALL THE RIGHTS THAT JUST DISAPPEARED.

DISAPATED OVERNIGHT BECAUSE OF HOW I SAW MYSELF

ATTITUDE.

SHAME EXACTLY.

IT GOES BACK TO I REMEMBER BEING A BOY SCOUT AND HEARING SOMEBODY SAY FAGGOT AND THESE KINDS O DEROGATORY IRAQS AND THINKING, YANLT CLAIM THAT SO, FOR THE NEXT GENERATION OF KIDS TO KNOW WHO YOU ARE IS WH YOU ARE.

IT'S PART OF CREATION.

IT'S HEALTHY IT'S GOOD AND IT'S LIKE BLUE EYES OR BROWN EYES THIS IS HOW GOD MADE YOU I DID MY OWN UNHEALTHY CONVERSION, ATTEMPT AT CONVERSION, IT DOESN'T WORK.

AND NOW, YOU KNOW, AT THIS POINT IN MY LIFE TO BE SO GRATEFUL, SO SELF-ACCEPTING, YOU KNOW, IT'S A GOOD PLACE FOR A COUNTRY TO BE

I'VE SEEN ALL SORTS O OPINIONS AS TO WHY THIS HAPPENED SO QUICKLY WHAT CREATED THIS IMPTOUS.

I WANT TO ASK YOU THE QUESTION WHY DO YOU THINK IN THE SPAN USE THE TIME YOU STEPPED DOWN AS THE STARTING POINT TO THE DECISION WE GOT FROM THE U.S. SUPREME COURT FAIRLY RECENTLY.

IN OUR HISTORY, A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME, WHY DID WE SEE SUCH A YOU SAID, SEISMIC CHANGE IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME

TO A DEGREE, IT WAS YOU KNOW, WHETHER IT WAS THE DAVID ROTHSBERG, PEOPLE THAT HAD COM OUT, THEY WERE WRITERS AND AUTHORS, SAW IT IN THE POPULAR CULTURE IN TERMS OF TELEVISION AND WRITING.

GAY PEOPLE WERE ALWAYS THERE AND SO, WHEN PEOPLE ALL OF A SUDDE COME OUT TO THEIR MOTHER O FATHER OR, I REMEMBER WHEN I TALKED TO MY OWN PARNTSS AND FAMILY THAT'S A SEA CHANGE AND ALL OF A SUDDEN, THIS IS SOMEBODY YOU REALLY LOVE IS TELLING YOU THI IS WHO YOU ARE AND THE NEX PERSON AND THE NEXT PERSON AND I THINK ALSO TRAGICALLY, THE AIDS CRISIS.

AS HEINOUS AND PAINFUL, TH COMMUNITY ORGANIZED, SO THIS I A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH THIS ISN'T A NEGOTIABLE ISSU AND THAT CREATED A POLITICAL FORCE THAT WAS BUILT UPON TRAGEDY.

SO, IF YOU'RE A YOUNG MAN NOW, IF YOU'RE THE YOUNG 10, 15-YEAR-OLD, NOT BACK IN YOU TIME, BUT TODAY.

AND YOU'RE TALKING WITH THAT YOUNG MAN, WHAT DO YOU TELL HI OR HER ABOUT WHAT THEI OBSTACLES ARE QUOING GOING T BE

INTERESTING QUESTION.

MY FRIEND KEVIN JENNINGS HAD M SPEAK TO A GROUP OF YOUN PEOPLE IN WASHINGTON, D.C THIS IS A WHILE BACK I THINK IT REALLY DIFFERS IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE COUNTRY THERE WAS A YOUNG GAL FROM IDAHO WHO HAD COME OUT IN HER JUNIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL.

SHE WAS KICKED DOWN A SMAL FLIGHT OF STAIRS SHE WAS BERATED BY A GROUP O BOYS THE VICE PRINCIPAL DID NOTHING THE PRINCIPAL STAYED AWAY FROM IT AND SHE WAS VERY MUCH IN PAIN AND ALONE.

NOW, I KNOW THAT HAPPENED, I KNOW IF SOMEBODY CAME OUT IN NEW YORK OR NEW JERSEY OR TH PLACES, PEOPLE WOULD BE LOVING SUPPORTIVE SO, IT'S NOT -- WE LIVE IN A BLESSED COUNTRY, BUT THERE ISN'T UNIVERSAL ACCEPTANCE, SO, IF THAT YOUNG PERSON WAS IN NEW JERSEY OR NEW YORK, I THINK TH ADVICE WOULD BE VERY DIFFERENT SO, WHAT'S SO IMPORTANT IS THA WHEN PEOPLE SUCH AS YOURSELF AND THE MEDIA AND ELECTED OFFICIAL AND THE SUPREME COURT SAYS THI IS THE LAW OF THE LAND, IT HELPS TO PENETRATE THOSE DARK PLACES WHERE TOLERANCE HAS YET TO OCCUR.

ONE OF THE REAL CHALLENGE FOR ME IS WHEN YOU GROW UP, WHEN YOU'RE GAY, IN MY GENERAL RARK THERE WAS NO PLACE TO GO TO.

IN THE SENSE THAT JACK YOU KNOW, SORT OF BEING IRISH CATHOLIC THIS IS WHERE YOUR GRANDFATHER CAME FROM OR ITALIAN CATHOLIC OR RUSSIAN JEW, WHATEVER YOUR BACKGROUND IS.

BUT WHEN YOU'RE GAY, THA HAPPENS ONE PERSON AT A TIME AND TYPICALLY, UNTIL RECENTLY, YOU PARENTS WEREN'T GAY.

THEY WERE HETERO SEXUAL, STRAIGHT COUPLE.

SO, IT WAS HARD FOR THAT PERSO TO UNDERSTAND, HAVE A SENSE OF SELF-IDENTITY.

AND SO, I THINK ORG NATIONS LIKE LISTEN, GLAD, SO MAN ORGANIZATIONS HAVE BEEN HOPEFU IN BEING SUPPORTIVE OF THE LGB COMMUNITY.

PARENTS ORGANIZATIONS THAT ARE SUPPORTIVE, SO, I THINK WHAT WE'RE GOING TO SEE HAPPENING I THAT THE ADVOCACY COMMUNITY IS GOING TO HOLD THE EDUCATIONA COMMUNITY IN THOSE CASES WHERE PEOPLE DON'T STEP UP, THEY'R GOING TO HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE TO THE LETTER OF THE LAW BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY, YOU KNOW, THIS IS ABOUT THE SUCCESS OF A CHILD.

THIS IS ABOUT A WL WILLINGNESS FOR A A CHILD TO UNDERSTAND THAT THEY HAVE THE RIGHT OR EXPECTATION TO HAVE THE SAME DIGNITY OF ANY CHILD IT HAPPENED IN THE EAST, CLEARLY IN THE WEST, BUT SAME TOKEN, I WAS DISPINTED WITH THIS GIRL I IDAHO, BUT I WAS OUT CAMPAIGNING.

AND I WAS AMAZED DESPITE ALL M EASTERN BIASES AGAINST THE CENTER OF THIS COUNTRY, PEOPLE GOT IT PEOPLE WERE WELCOMING.

THERE WAS THIS SHIP THAT YOU TALKED ABOUT, SO, I THINK WE HAVE TO CONTINUE TO BE VILLAGE LENT WITH THE LAW, BUT I THINK AS PARENTS ADVOCACY GROUPS AN YOUNG PEOPLE THEMSELVES, WE'LL MAKE SURE IT GETS DONE

LAST QUESTION FOR YOU AND A I LOOK AT YOU AND TALK WITH YO AND SEE WHERE YOU HAVE GONE WITH YOUR LIFE AND HOW YOU DISCOVERED WHO YOU ARE IN YOUR FAITH AN YOUR WORK IN PRISON MINISTRIES I CAN'T HELP BUT WONDERING AND I KNEW YOU BACK WHEN YOU WERE GOVERNOR

SURE.

ALL THE GOOD THINGS YOU'VE DON ON SO MANY -

THAT'S KIND OF YOU, BUT YOU ALSO I CAN'T HELP BUT WONDERING WHETHER YOU EVER SAY T YOURSELF, I WONDER IF THINGS HAD BEEN DIFFERENT AND I WAS MAKIN THIS PRONOUNCEMENT TODAY THAT AM PROUDLY A GAY AMERICAN, I YOUR LIFE WOULD HAVE CHANGED A MUCH AS IT DID OR PEOPLE WOULD HAVE SAID, YOU'RE STILL OU GOVERNOR

IT'S YOU DON'T KNOW, BUT AL I CAN DO IS TO BE GRATEFUL TO GROW UP IN THIS TIME.

TO GROW UP IN A TIME WHEN MY FRIEND MARK JUST WROTE A BOO TALKING ABOUT TRAVERING FROM A TIME WHEN HOMOSEXUALITY WA LISTEDs A A PSYCHIATRIC ILLNES AND TO SEE IT BECOME A REALITY FOR TOM TO HAVE AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN PRESIDENT, TO HAVE A TIME IN AMERICA WHERE PEOPLE ARE TREATED WHO THEY AR BECAUSE OF DR. KING SAID, TH CONTENTS OF THEIR CHARACTER AN THAT'S REALLY A NOBLING.

EVEN MY OWN WORK IN PRISON MINISTRY HAS CHANGED ME IN REALLY PROFOUND WAYS AS I RECEIVE FURTHER AND FURTHER FROM THE POLITICAL CONTEXT, TO BE OUT THERE LOOKING AT PEOPLE AND GRAPPLING, YOU KNOW, IT WA MY OWN, I WOULD ARGUE MY OWN IMPERFECTION, MY OWN NEED TO B IN THE CLOSET, AS IRRATIONAL AND UNHEALTHY AS THAT WAS, OUT O THAT PAIN CAME A SENSE O COMPASSION FOR OTHERS THAT I'M NOT SAYING I WOULDN'T HAVE NECESSARILY HAD, BUT THA EXPERIENCE, WHEN I TALK TO THE PEOPLE I WORK WITH, I THINK THEY SEE ME DIFFERENTLY FRANKLY BECAUSE OF MY FAILINGS IN LIFE IT'S BECAUSE AND I PROBABL WOULDN'T BE DOING PRISON MINISTRY IF I HAD SUCCEEDED AS GOVERNOR AND MOVED ON TO WHATEVER I DID IT WAS THAT CRASH, IT WAS THAT FALL, IT WAS THAT BURN TO TH GROUND THAT CAUSED ME TO DISASSEMBLE AND REASSEMBLE WHO AND WHAT I AM AND WHAT I BELIEVE IN THAT CAUSED ME TO BE MORE OPEN TO BE MORE COMPASSIONATE TO BE MORE UNDERSTANDING, THAT GAVE ME A WINDOW TO MY OWN SOU AND GOT WILLING TO THE SOULS O OTHERS, SO I'M GRATEFUL FOR IT AS MY DEAR FRIEND ALEXANDE PELOSI SAID, YOURS WAS A FALL TO GRACE.

BECAUSE YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE BEE IN THIS POSITION HAD YOU NOT TAKEN THAT FALL.

PERHAPS THAT'S A GOOD MESSAGE FOR US TO LEAVE THIS CONVERSATION ON.

THANK YOU

GOVERNOR, IT'S ALWAYS A PLEASURE

GOD BLESS

THANK YOU

> OUR LOVABLE, LOYAL AND PLAYFUL PETS THERE ARE MORE THAN 1. MILLION OF THEM IN NEW YORK CITY ALONE AND FOR A LOT OF US, THEY'RE OUR BEST FRIENDS, BUT IN ITS NEW SERIES WHICH STARTS TONIGHT, PBS NATURE GIVES US A LOOK AT TH DOUBLE LIVES OF OUR DOMESTICATED ANIMALS AND WE GET TO SEE THEM AS WE NEVER HAVE BEFORE.

LET'S TAKE A LOOK.

♪♪ EVERY DAY, OUR PETS ENGAGE I BEHAVIOR THAT'S FAMILIAR TO US BUT WHY DO HAMSTERS LOVE TO RU ON A WHEEL WHAT MAKES A RABBIT HOP?

HOW DOES YOUR DOG UNDERSTAND THE RULES OF THE PACK?

IT'S BECAUSE OUR PETS FO THOUSANDS OF YEARS WERE WILD ANIMALS FOR MILLIONS MORE.

TO RECORRECT WITH THAT WIL SIDE, OUR PETS PLAY.

AND THEIR GAMES REQUIRE SOME EXTRAORDINARY SENSES AND SPECIAL SKILLS NOW, WITH SPY CAMERAS AND MOVING X-RAYS, FILM MAKERS HAVE CAPTURED THE HIDDEN POWERS O OUR PETS YOU'LL NEVER LOOK AT THEM TH SAME WAY AGAIN AND JOINING ME NOW TO TALK ABOUT THE SERIES IS NATURE'S EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, FRED COFFMAN WELCOME.

FRED, SURPRISINGLY ENOUGH, NATURE IS IS USUALLY ASSOCIATE WITH NATURE.

WILD CREATURES OUT IN THE WILD SO, WHY THIS TWO-PART SERIES O PETS

THEY'RE THE MOST OBVIOU ANIMALS TO LOOK AT BECAUSE W KNOW THEM SO WELL AND THEY'R RIGHT IN FRONT OF US AND FOR U ON NATURE, WE DON'T HAVE T SPEND WEEKS TRYING TO FIND THEM, BUT IF YOU LOOK AT YOUR PET AN WATCH THEIR BEHAVIORS, YOU REALIZE IT ALL HARKENS BACK TO WHEN THEY WERE WILD ANIMALS, SO, SO MUCH OF WHAT YOU SEE THAT YOU MAYBE DON'T UNDERSTAND, IT HAS TO DO WHEN THEY WERE WILD.

THAT'S THE HEADLINE OF TH SERIES, RIGHT?

THAT EVEN THOUGH THEY'VE SPENT 30,000 YEARS WITH PEOPLE, TH MILLIONS OF YEARS MANIFEST ITSELF, SO PREDATORS WILL AC OUT THE PREDATORY BEHAVIOR, EVEN IF IT'S JUST AT PLAY AND THOSE PRACTICE RUNNING AWAY.

EXACTLY AND WHAT WE DID WAS WE BROUGHT THE SORT OF CAMERA TECHNOLOGY, ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES AND TOYS THAT WE WOULD BRING OUT T THE WILD TO SHOOT THE ANIMAL INTO OUR HOMES TO LOOK AT THEM THE WAY WE WOULD LOOK AT THE WILD ANIMALS

TALK ABOUT THAT I'M ALWAYS AMAZED, WE TALK A LOT, EVEN WHEN NOT IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA EVERY SERIES, IT SEEMS YOU BRING SOMETHING NEW.

THIS ONE, AS IN MOST OF THEM, WE ARE RIGHT THERE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ACTION IN ONE SCENE, DOWN THE RABBI HOLE BUT IN THIS CASE, AS WE SAW IN THE PREVIEW, YOU GET INSIDE TH ANIMAL ITSELF.

WHAT'S HAPPENING

WELL, YOU KNOW, WE WANTED A GET THESE MOVING X-RAYS TO SHO HOW THE BONES AND SPINE WORK THE FILM MAKERS WENT TO TH ROYAL VETERINARY COLLEGE O LONDON TO USE A FLOUR SCOPE, WHICH IS A ING X-RAY AND IT' ILLUSTRATED BEAUTIFULLY WITH HAMSTERS

WE DON'T SPEND A LOT OF TIM THINKING ABOUT HAMSTERS, BUT I THIS SERIES, YOU WILL SEE THEM IN A VERY UNIQUE WAY AND HOW THEY RUN BECAUSE THEY WERE PRE ANIMALS.

RUNNING IS WHAT THEY DID BEING ACTIVE AT DAWN AND DUS WHEN THEY WOULD NEED TO FEAR FOR THEIR LIVES IS WHEN THEY RUN THE MOST AND WE FOUND WHEN THEY'R RUNNING ON THE WHEEL, THEY ACTUALLY GET A RUNNER'S HIGH FROM THAT.

THAT'S RIGHT.

AGAIN, WE TALKED BEFORE SITTIN DOWN HERE.

I ASKED YOU WHAT YOUR FAVORITE STORIES WERE TELL US.

I HAD NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE, BUT THE HAMSTERS, THE WAY THEY TAKE FOOD.

AND KIND OF STORE IT IN THEI MOUTHS AND THEIR POUCHS.

AND THEY ACTUALLY WORK DOWN TH NUTS AND WHATEVER FOOD THEY'RE STORING DOWN TO THEIR HIPS AND THEY DON'T SECRETE SALIVA, S WHEN THEY FILL THEMSELVES WITH FOOD AND TAKE IT TO WHERE THEY WANT TO STORE IT, THEY SORT OF SPIT OUT, IF YOU WILL, THE FOOD.

THEY ACTUALLY USE THEIR HANDS TO PUSH UP THE FOOD THAT'S BEEN DOWN BY THEIR HIPS AND THERE'S NO SALIVA ON IT SO IT' ESSENTIALLY FRESH FOOD, SO I I HADN'T SEEN THAT BEFORE.

AND YOU LIKED THE TOM AND JERR STORY.

CAT AND MOUSE, IN THE PRODUCER'S HOME, HE HAS A CAT.

THE CAT BROUGHT A MOLE INTO TH HOUSE.

OF COURSE, A CAT DOESN'T HAVE TO HUNT MICE.

IT GETS FED, BUT IT BROUGHT IT IN TO CHASE AND PLAY IT WANTS TO CHASE SOMETHING, SO, THE INTERACTION BETWEEN THE TW IS REALLY CHARMING AND O COURSE, THE MOUSE GETS AWA AND --

IT DOES GET AWAY, RIGHT

JUST LIKE TOM AND JERRY MY FAVORITE STORY.

ARE THE DOGS OF KUS CUE.

A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE LE THEIR DOGS OUT AND THESE DOG LIKE KIDS ARE GANGS, THEY GE TOGETHER THEY TRAVEL TO THE PARK.

THEY CROSS THE STREET.

THEY WAIT FOR TRAFFIC.

FIGHT FOR THE GIRLS

DON'T INTERACT WITH THE HUMANS YEAH, SO, I MEAN AT THE END OF THE EVENING, YOU KNOW, THEY COME WAK TO THEIR HOMES I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY PLACES THIS HAPPENS, BUT WE FOUND I IN -

THAT'S REALLY WHAT HAPPENS.

NOT STAGED IN ANY WAY.

NOT STAGED.

SORT O F A REMARKABLE STORY.

IN THE PLACES WELL-KNOWN FOR THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR.

ZPL IT'S A FASCINATING SERIES AS ALL YOURS ARE.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR TALKING WIT US YOU CAN WATCH PETS WILD AT HEART ON NATURE TONIGHT, OCTOBER 21s AND NEXT WEDNESDAY, OCTOBE 28th, ON OUR PBS STATION ALSO WATCH THE FULL SERIES STARTING NEXT WEEK A 13.ORG/NATURE.

> THIS ENTIRE EPISODE AN OTHER ORIGINAL CONTENT IS NO AVAILABLE ON LINE AT METROFOCUS.ORG ON THE iPAD O iPHONE APP WHILE YOU'RE ON OUR WEBSITE, CATCH THE LATEST NEWS, TRAFFIC AND WEATHER REPORT OR TELL U WHAT YOU THINK IT'S ALL JAUS CLICK AWAY TILL THEN, REMEMBER TO FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK OR TWITTER FOR UP TO THE MINUTE INFORMATION IMPAGTING YOUR COMMUNITY SEE YOU AGAIN NEXT TIME.

FUNDING WAS PROVIDED BY -

Funders

MetroFocus is made possible by Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Sylvia A. and Simon B. Poyta Programming Endowment to Fight Anti-Semitism, The Peter G. Peterson and Joan Ganz Cooney Fund, Bernard and Denise Schwartz, Barbara Hope Zuckerberg, The Ambrose Monell Foundation, Janet Prindle Seidler, Jody and John Arnhold, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Family, Judy and Josh Weston and the Dr. Robert C. and Tina Sohn Foundation.

WNET

© WNET All Rights Reserved.

825 Eighth Avenue

New York, NY 10019

BBB Logo Charity Navigator Logo