1/15: NYPD Community Relations, Success Academy Charter Schools, Ice Sculptures

The growing divide between Mayor Bill de Blasio and the NYPD was evident following the grand jury decision not to indict the police officer involved in Eric Garner’s death and is now undeniable after hundreds of police turned their backs to the mayor at the funerals of two fallen officers. MetroFocus features excerpts from Hari Sreenivasan’s interviews with community leaders and retired NYPD officers on PBS NewsHour Weekend. John Eterno, a former NYPD captain and the associate dean and director of graduate studies in criminal justice at Molloy College joins MetroFocus host Rafael Pi Roman to discuss the current state of policing, the use of stop, question and frisk, and the relationship between police officers and the public.

Founder and CEO of Success Academy Charter Schools Eva Moskowitz joins MetroFocus host Rafael Pi Roman to discuss charter schools in New York City, education standards and criticism from teachers and politicians.

And Binghamton public television station WSKG travels to the studio of ice sculptor Mark Crouthamel who transforms large blocks of ice into complex sculptures and winter wonderlands.

TRANSCRIPT

> FROM THE WORLD'S LEADING CENTER FOR FINANCE, THE ARTS PUBLISHING, SCIENCE, RESEARCH, MEDIA, INNOVATION, AND MUC MORE, THIS IS 'METROFOCUS' WIT RAFAEL PI ROMAN.

> TONIGHT, POLICE, POLITICS, PROTESTS, POLICY WHAT'S NEXT FOR NEW YORK AND ITS POLICE DEPARTMENT?

YOU DO NEED TO WORK WITH TH COMMUNITY.

THAT'S SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN LOST OVER TIME

ARE CHARTER SCHOOLS THE SOLUTION

WE ARE REALLY INTERESTED IN KIDS FALLING IN LOVE WIT LEARNING AND SCHOOL.

I THINK IN LARGE MEASURE, WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED THAT

TURNING ICE INTO A MONE MAKING ART FORM.

FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED BY THE FOLLOWING -- CORPORATE FUNDING FO 'METROFOCUS' IS PROVIDED B MUTUAL OF AMERICA.

YOUR RETIREMENT COMPANY.

> THE DIVIDE BETWEEN MAYOR BILL DE BLASIO AND SOME MEMBER OF THE NEW YORK POLICE DEPARTMENT CONTINUES THE MAYOR DID NOT HAVE THE SUPPORT OF ALL THE POLICE UNIONS DURING HIS CAMPAIGN.

AFTER A GRAND JURY DECLINED TO INDICT THE OFFICER RESPONSIBLE FOR ERIC GARDNER'S DEATH I STATEN ISLAND, PROTESTS ERUPTE WITH LITTLE POLICE INTERVENTION.

THE DISPUTE BETWEEN THE MAYO AND SOME IN THE NYPD HAS BEE DENIABLE HUNDREDS OF POLICEMEN AND WOME TURNED THEIR BACKS ON THE MAYO AS HE SPOKE AT THE FUNERALS OF TWO OFFICERS KILLED BY A PSYCHOLOGICALLY CHALLENGED GUNMAN HARI SREENIVASAN HAS HEARD DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AS HE HAS FOLLOWED THE STORY WE BEGIN OUR STORY WITH EXCERPTS FROM HIS CONVERSATION WITH ELJOY WILLIAMS AND JULIAN HARPER

WHAT WAS VERY INTERESTING THE DAY THE GRAND JURY REFUSED T PRESS CHARGES AGAINST TH OFFICER WHO HAD THE CHOKEHOLD ON ERIC GARNER, PART OF THE CONVERSATION THAT THE MAYOR SAID HE HAD WITH HIS BIRACIAL SON

WE HAVE HAD TO TRAIN HIM AS FAMILIES HAVE ALL OVER THE CIT FOR DECADES, TO TAKE SPECIAL CARE WHEN HE ENTERS A POLICE OFFICER.

WHEN YOU WERE A POLIC OFFICER, EVEN NOW, DID YOU HAV THAT CONVERSATION WITH YOU FAMILY

ABSOLUTELY.

AFTER THE ERIC GARNER INCIDENT MY SON CALLS ME AND HE SAYS, DAD, HE SAYS, I'M AFRAID HE SAID IT'S -- IT'S AGAINST THE LAW TO BE A LARGE BLACK MAN.

MY SON IS A RATHER LARGE MAN THAT REALLY BOTHERED ME.

I HAVE TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT M SON'S SAFETY I HAVE TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT HIS PERCEPTION OF HIM BEING A LARG BLACK MAN.

WE HAVE TO HAVE THES CONVERSATIONS.

UNFORTUNATELY THE WAY THE POLICE RESPOND AND INTERACT WITH OU BLACK YOUTH IS PROBLEMATIC CHILDREN ARE AFRAID.

IT'S TOTALLY IRRELEVANT WITH ANYTHING TO DO WITH POLICING THAT OUR YOUTH ARE AFRAID OF LAW ENFORCEMENT.

HOW IS IT A POLICE OFFICE HAS TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WIT HIS SON WARNING THAT SON ABOUT INTERACTIONS WITH HIS FELLOW POLICE OFFICERS?

BECAUSE THOSE POLIC OFFICERS, INCLUDING MYSELF, WE SEE HOW THE INTERACTIONS G BETWEEN THE COMMUNITY, YOUNG BLACK MALES AND THE POLICE DEPARTMENT

ELJOY, WE HEARD CONVERSATIONS THAT MOTHERS HAVE HAD WITH TEENS, POST FERGUSON AND POS GARNER WHAT WAS DIFFERENT ABOUT THIS?

WAS THERE AN ADDED LEGITIMAC BECAUSE THERE WAS A WHITE MAYO STANDING AT A PODIUM SAYING HE TO HAVE THIS CONVERSATION, WHEREAS AFRICAN-AMERICAN FAMILIES SAID THAT'S NOT NEWS TO US

DEFINITELY.

THIS CONVERSATION WE HAVE IS NOT NEW.

THE DIFFERENCE HERE WAS THER WAS A WHITE MAYOR, WHO I STANDING BEHIND ALL OF THE POWER THAT COMES WITH BEING MAYOR.

AND SAYING THAT HE HAD THE SAM CONVERSATION AND SO IT'S SOMEHOW LEGITIMIZE TO CERTAIN COMMUNITIES AND CERTAIN PEOPLE THAT THIS HAPPENS OR AT LEAST BRINGS IT TO THE FOREFRONT THAT SOMETHING LIK THIS HAS TO BE ADDRESSED

JUST THE MENTION OF THA CONVERSATION AND PERHAPS THE INCREASED LEGITIMATIZATION OF IT WAS A SORE SPOT FOR MANY POLIC OFFICERS IN NEW YORK AND ELSEWHERE IN THE COUNTRY WHY IS THAT?

WELL, I BLAME A LOT OF THAT ON MAYOR BLOOMBERG, ACTUALLY YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER, WHAT HAPPENED WAS THAT THERE WA GREAT INCREASE IN STOP QUESTION, FRISK.

THAT'S WHERE A LOT OF TENSIO CAME FROM, FROM A LOT OF BLACK BEING STOPPED.

OUT OF ALL OF STOPS, 90% WEREN'T EVEN ARRESTED.

90% OF PEOPLE STOPPED FO BASICALLY NO REASON.

OF COURSE WILL YOU HAVE TENSIO THERE.

GOT TO REMEMBER, UNDER GULIANI EVEN THOUGH WE WERE CLEANING U THE CITY, THE NUMBER OF STOP QUESTION AND FRISK HOPPED UP T ABOUT 100,000 A YEAR UNDER BLOOMBERG THAT INCREASED TO ALMOST 700,000 A YEAR THAT'S A VAST INCREASE

JOINING ME NOW IS PROFESSOR JOHNNY TURNO, FORMER CAPTAIN I THE NYPD AND DIRECTOR OF GRADUATE STUDIES OF GRADUATE STUDIES AT MALLOY COLLEGE, HE IS ALSO AN AUTHOR PROFESSOR, WELCOME

THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME

LET ME START WITH WHAT FORMER OFFICER WILLIAMS SAID IN THE CLIP DO YOU AGREE WITH HIM, THAT TH PRIME CAUSE OF THE FRICTION THAT EXISTS BETWEEN THE POLICE AN MANY IN OUR COMMUNITIES OF COLOR, WAS THE EXPLOSION OF STOP AND FRISK DURING THE BLOOMBERG ADMINISTRATION

I CERTAINLY THINK THAT WA PART OF IT WE HAD SO MUCH PRESSURE OVER THOSE 12 YEARS THAT HE WAS I OFFICE IT WENT FROM 100,000 TO 700,00 STOPS.

ON TOP OF THAT CRIME WAS ALREADY DOWN 60% WHEN HE GOT INT OFFICE THIS PRESSURE WAS BUILDING OVE TIME AS MAYOR DE BLASIO GOT INT OFFICE, THE CORK FROM THAT PRESSURE POPPED.

ALL OF THIS ANGER JUST EXPLODE OUT.

SO I DO THINK THAT WAS PART OF IT FURTHERMORE, CERTAINLY WAS UNCONSTITUTIONAL WHAT TH OFFICERS WERE DOING.

IT WAS FOUND IN THE FLOYD CASE TO BE ILLEGAL.

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT'S PROBLEMATIC FOR MINORITY COMMUNITIES.

IT'S STOP AND FRISK.

I ALSO THINK IT WAS A NUMBER GAME BEING PLAYED.

I DO THINK THAT OFFICERS WER TRYING TO KEEP TO QUOTAS THEY WERE TRYING TO KEEP T QUOTAS NOT JUST WITH STOP AN FRISK BUT SUMMONSES, MARIJUANA SUMMONSES, ALSO ARRESTS.

SO THEY'RE TRYING TO MEET TH QUOTAS ALL THIS PRESSURE OVER TIME.

LET'S TALK ABOUT BROKEN WINDOWS.

THE BROKEN WINDOWS THEORY IS I ESSENCE THAT YOU HAVE ZERO TOLERANCE FOR EVEN THE SMALLES QUALITY OF LIFE INFRACTION BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T, LARGER CRIMES WILL GROW AROUND IT BILL BRATTON INSTITUTED BROKEN WINDOWS WHEN HE WAS FIRS COMMISSIONER 20 YEARS AGO.

IT'S IN POLICY IN NEW YORK CIT EVER SINCE SOME CRITICS SAY IT'S NOT STOP AND FRISK BUT BROKEN WINDOWS AND ALL THE NEGATIVE INTERACTION THAT THAT RESULTS WITH OFFICER AND MEMBERS OF THE MINORIT COMMUNITIES THAT HAS CAUSED TH FRICTION THERE YOUR RESPONSE?

IN THE CRIMINAL LOGICAL COMMUNITY THERE'S LOTS O QUESTIONS AS TO WHAT FIRST BROKEN WINDOWS IS.

NYPD DEFINED IT AS THIS ZERO TOLERANCE EFFORT GOING ON.

BUT THAT'S NOT NECESSARILY WHA BROKEN WINDOWS IS.

IF YOU LISTEN TO GEORGE KELING WHO DEVELOPED IT, HE TALKS ABOUT WORKING WITH COMMUNITIES, MUCH MORE COMPLICATED ASPECTS O BROKEN WINDOWS THIS HAS BEEN OVERSIMPLIFIED IN MY VIEW ABOU WHAT BROKEN WINDOWS IS I DO THINK THAT POLICE NEED TO BE GIVEN THE POWER TO DO THEIR JOB, WHETHER IT'S STOP AND FRISK OR WHETHER IT'S GIVING A SUMMONS OR MAKING AN ARREST.

PEOPLE NEED TO RESPECT OFFICER AND GIVE THEM THAT POWER TO DO THEIR JOB.

I MIGHT ADD, THOUGH, YOU DO NEED TO WORK WITH THE COMMUNITIES I THINK THAT'S SOMETHING THA HAS BEEN LOST OVER TIME.

THAT'S WHERE COMMISSIONE BRATTON NEEDS TO MAKE SOME KEY CHANGES.

YOU KNOW, AS WE KNOW, THE POLICE SEEM TO HAVE BEEN ENGAGED IN A SLOWDOWN OVER THE PAST TW WEEKS, WHERE ARRESTS AND SUMMONSES WERE DRASTICALLY REDUCED.

BUT CRIME DIDN'T SPIKE SOME OF THE CRITICS OF BROKE WINDOWS SAYS THAT PROVES BROKE WINDOWS IS UNNECESSARY YOU SAY?

TWO WEEKS, THAT'S NOT GOING TO TELL YOU ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY IN THIS COLD, COLD WEATHER THAT'S NOT REALLY AN INDICATION.

I WOULD SAY THAT THERE IS CONTROVERSY IN CRIMINOLOGY O THIS WE AGREE THAT BROKEN WINDOWS I THE ANSWER TO THE CRIM CONSTANTLY GOING DOWN.

THERE WERE QUESTIONS ABOUT DRU OF CHOICE, FOR EXAMPLE YEARS AGO IT WAS CRACK COCAINE THEN MARIJUANA BECAME THE KE DRUG AND ALSO THE ECONOMY OF TH CITY, UNEMPLOYMENT, ALL OF THESE THINGS MAKE A DIFFERENCE I CRIME.

IT'S NOT SO SIMPLISTIC AS SOME PEOPLE TRY TO MAKE IT OUT.

LET'S TALK ABOUT SOMETHIN ELSE WE SAW IN THE CLIP.

MAYOR DE BLASIO GIVING HIS SPEET ABOUT HOW HE AND HIS WIFE HAD TO TRAIN THEIR BIRACIAL SON, DANTE, TO INTERACT WITH THE POLICE.

MANY POLICE OFFICERS USE THAT AS PRIME EVIDENCE, NOT ONE, THA THE MAYOR TURNED HIS BACK ON THEM BEFORE THEY LITERALLY TURNED THEIR BACK ON HIM ARE THEY JUSTIFIED IN THINKING THIS

I THINK THEY'VE GONE A LITTLE OVERBOARD WITH THIS.

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD LEAR HOW TO ACT WHEN A POLICE OFFICER STOPS.

WE ALL GET NERVOUS I GET NERVOUS WHEN A POLIC OFFICER STOPS ME HOW TO REACT IS SOMETHING THAT NOT ONLY SHOULD WE BE TELLIN MINORITY CHILDREN, BUT I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD BE LEARNIN ABOUT HOW TO BE ACTING IN FRON OF POLICE OFFICERS YOU GET STOPPED IN A CAR, YO SHOULD SHOW YOUR HANDS YOUR HANDS ARE A KEY PART OF WHAT POLICE OFFICERS ARE LOOKING FOR.

I THINK EVERYBODY SHOULD B AWARE OF THAT.

SO I THINK OFFICERS JUST HARPING ON THIS ONE PARTICULAR INCIDEN IS A LITTLE DIFFICULT.

A LITTLE BIT OF A STRETCH.

REMEMBER THE MAYOR WAS ELECTED ON A REFERENDUM FROM MINORIT COMMUNITIES THAT IS WHY HE WAS ELECTED.

SO THE POLITICS OF NEW YORK CITY IS CHANGING.

AND I THINK THE POLICE DEPARTMENT AND THE PEOPLE NEED TO BE READY TO -- FOR CHANGE AND I THINK THAT COMMISSIONE BRATTON IS THE PERFECTED CHOIC TO LEAD US INTO THIS NEW ERA

SO, ARE YOU OPTIMISTIC THAT A NEW ERA WILL COME?

THAT PEACE WILL COME BETWEEN THE POLICE AND THE MAYOR AND THE POLICE WILL BE ABLE TO SERVE AND PROTECT THE CITY DESPITE COLOR

I'M OPTIMISTIC ABOUT TH FUTURE MY CONCERNS, IT'S DIFFICULT TO BE A POLICE OFFICER AND A POLICE LEADER THAT'S THE WAY IT IS IF DEMOCRACY.

TO BALANCE CRIME CONTROL AND DUE PROCESS.

THAT'S THE KEY THAT MAKES IT SO DIFFICULT I HEARD SOME RECENTLY ON VARIOUS PROGRAMS TALKING ABOUT HOW W SHOULD BE SPYING ON MUSLIMS, DOING ALL THESE THINGS THIS, TO ME, IS A VERY EGREGIOUS OVERTAKING OF WHAT WE SHOULD B DOING.

WAS WE SHOULD BE DOING IN MANY OF THESE COMMUNITIES IS WORKIN WITH THEM.

AS WE WORK WITH THEM, RATHER THAN BEING AN ARMY O OCCUPATION, AS WE WORK WIT THEM, WE'RE MORE LIKELY TO GET INTELLIGENCE INFORMATION I THINK IT'S VERY IMPORTANT FO POLICE TO BE ABLE TO BALANCE DUE PROCESS RIGHTS WITH FIGHTING CRIME.

SO FIGHTING CRIME IS NOT THE ULTIMATE GOAL OF POLICING.

IT'S NOT MANY PEOPLE SAY IT IS.

IT'S FIGHTING CRIME WHILE AT THE SAME TIME PROTECTING BASIC CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

THAT'S THE TICKET.

THAT'S THE DIFFICULT PART OF IT.

ANYONE CAN BRING DOWN CRIME.

IT'S BRINGING DOWN CRIME WHILE PROTECTING RIGHTS, THAT'S TH DIFFICULT PART

PROFESSOR, THANK YOU VERY MUCH

YOU'RE QUITE WELCOME.

> STARTING IN 2006 ONE SMALL SCHOOL IN HARLEM, SUCCES ACADEMY TODAY IS THE LARGEST CHARTER SCHOOL NETWORK IN TH CITY WITH 32 SCHOOLS AND 9,000 STUDENTS LAST OCTOBER THE STATE APPROVE 14 ADDITIONAL SUCCESS ACADEM SCHOOLS.

IF PLANS GO ACCORDING TO SCHEDULE, IT WILL BE SERVING 16,000 STUDENTS OVER THE NEX TWO YEARS.

FORMER CITY DOWN UNTIL MEMBE AND CHAIR OF THE COUNCIL'S EDUCATION COMMITTEE, EVA MOSKOWITZ IS THE FOUNDER AND CEO OF SUCCESS ACADEMY SHE JOINS US NOW TO TALK ABOUT HER NETWORK AND THE FUTURE O CHARTER SCHOOLS IN NEW YOR CITY MS. MOSKOWITZ, WELCOME

THANKS FOR HAVING ME.

THE 'NEW YORK TIMES,' 'WALL STREET JOURNAL' AND MANY OTHER HAVE CALLED SUCCESS ACADEMY TH MOST SUCCESSFUL CHARTER SCHOOL IN THE CITY.

WHAT'S YOUR MEASURE OF SUCCESS

I REALLY WANT CHILDREN AN PARENTS TO LOVE LEARNING AND TO BE ENGAGED.

TEST SCORES ARE ONE OF MAN MEASURES OF SUCCESS.

IT'S A PRACTICAL HURDLE THAT CHILDREN HAVE TO GET OVER.

BUT WE ARE REALLY INTERESTED I KIDS FALLING IN LOVE WIT LEARNING AND SCHOOL.

IN LARGE MEASURE, WE HAV ACCOMPLISHED THAT WITH A VER LARGE NUMBER OF KIDS WE'RE AT, AS YOU SAID, 9,000 KIDS, 32 SCHOOLS I'M CONFIDENT THAT THE KIDS LOVE LEARNING THAT'S SO IMPORTANT.

AT THE END OF THE DAY, I CHILDREN LOVE TO LEARN, THEY CAN TEACH THEMSELVES ANYTHING.

HOW ARE YOU ACHIEVING THAT?

WHAT ARE YOU DOING DIFFERENTLY THAN OTHER SCHOOLS

I THINK A LOT OF SCHOOL TREAT CHILDREN AS A CAPTIV AUDIENCE BECAUSE THERE ARE LAWS THA DICTATE CHILDREN MUST GO T KINDERGARTEN AND SCHOOL.

PARENTS NEED CHILD CARE.

SO IN A WAY CHILDREN ARE A CAPTIVE AUDIENCE IMAGINE IF SCHOOLS ACTED AS IF CHILDREN HAD THE FREEDOM T CHOOSE WHETHER OR NOT TO GO TO SCHOOL IN FACT, THEY HAD THE FREEDOM TO WALK OUT OF THE CLASSROOM AT ANY MOMENT THEY DON'T AT OUR SCHOOLS, BUT IMAGINE IF THEY DID.

I WOULD VENTURE TO ARGUE THAT AT MOST SCHOOLS IN AMERICA, THE WOULDN'T COME.

IF THEY CAME, THEY WOULD LEAVE BECAUSE BOREDOM, UNFORTUNATELY IS ONE OF THE MOST COMMO EXPERIENCES OF CHILDREN.

WHAT WE DO IS WE ENGAGE CHILDREN WITH RICH, WONDERFUL LITERATURE.

WITH DISCOVERY ORIENTED SCIENC FIVE DAYS A WEEK WITH CHESS, DEBATE, CODING, ART, MUSIC.

AND SPORTS SO THAT KIDS LOVE BEING AT SCHOOL

WHY DO YOU THINK REGULA PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE NOT DOING THAT

I THINK THAT'S --

OR SOME OF THEM AREN'T?

I THINK IT'S A COMPLICATE QUESTION I THINK THERE'S A LOT OF TALEN IN THE DISTRICT SCHOOL SYSTEM.

BUT THERE'S ALSO A LOT O CYNICISM I THINK TEACHERS FEEL BEATEN DOWN BY THE BUREAUCRACY.

THE BUREAUCRACY IS NOT RESPONSIVE TO TEACHERS O PARENTS.

AT A LOT OF SCHOOLS, IT'S QUIT BORING AND CHILDREN ARE NO FALLING IN LOVE WITH LEARNING.

MS. MOSKOWITZ, A LOT OF YOU CRITICS, AS I'M SURE YOU'V HEARD, THE SUCCESS OF TH SUCCESSFUL CHARTER SCHOOLS, THEY SAY -- AND IT'S TRUE NOT ALL CHARTER SCHOOLS AR SUCCESSFUL -- IS DUE TO THE FACT YOU GET THE CREAM OF THE CROP OF PUBLIC SCHOOL STUDENTS FIRST O ALL.

SECONDLY YOU DON'T TAKE IN ENOUGH ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS AND SPECIAL ED STUDENTS.

HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO THAT

FIRST, THE PUBLIC NEEDS T UNDERSTAND THAT WE'RE A RANDOM LOTTERY SCHOOL SO, WE ARE NOT SELECTING OUR STUDENTS ON ANY BASI WHATSOEVER THERE IS A PREFERENCE FOR TH DISTRICT THAT THE SCHOOL IS IN THAT IS MANDATED BY LAW, BECAUSE WE ARE ACHIEVING THESE RESULTS WITH RANDOM LOTTERY ADMISSION.

WILL THE ME INTERRUPT -

IN TERMS OF ENGLISH LANGUAG LEARNERS, WE HAVE ABOUT 10% OF OUR STUDENTS WHO ARE ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS.

PARTS OF THE REASON THAT NUMBE IS NOT HIGHER IS BECAUSE W TEACH CHILDREN ENGLISH THE WAY YOU GET DESIGNATED AS AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNER IS YO HAVE TO FAIL A TEST.

OUR STUDENTS PASS IT IN LARG NUMBERS AFTER A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME IN TERMS OF SPECIAL NEEDS, W REALLY HAVE EQUIVALENT TO TH DISTRICT AS A WHOLE.

WE HAVE 15% OF OUR STUDENTS WH ARE SPECIAL NEEDS.

I THINK THAT WE HAVE TO LOOK A WHERE THIS CRITICISM IS COMING FROM BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY THERE' SOMETHING ODD ABOUT A GREA PUBLIC SCHOOL THAT IS GETTIN PHENOMENAL RESULTS BEING THE RECIPIENT OF SO MUCH CRITICISM IF YOU CAME FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY OR ANOTHER PLANET, YOU WOULD SAY WHAT -- WHERE IS ALL OF THIS COMING FROM?

WHY ARE PEOPLE HOSTILE T SCIENCE FIVE DAYS A WEEK TO CHESS I'M HOPING WE CAN SPEND A LITTLE TIME ON THE POLITICS OF IT BECAUSE IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHER THE CRITICISM IS COMING FROM -

JUST GIVE US A HINT BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A HINT GIVE US A QUICK HIT OF WHERE THE CRITICISM IS COMING FROM

IT'S PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT TH TEACHERS UNION, WHICH HA OPPOSED SUCCESS ACADEMY FROM THE BEGINNING, AND YOU KNOW MY HISTORY AS CHAIRWOMAN OF THE EDUCATION COMMITTEE, I DARED - DARED TO LOOK AT THE CONTRACT.

AND ASKED THE QUESTION IS TH TEACHERS UNION CONTRACT GOOD FOR CHILDREN GOOD FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING THEY HAVE HAD OPPOSITION TO ME PERSONALLY AND TO SUCCES ACADEMY SINCE THE DAY WE STARTED.

THE TEACHERS UNION SUED 19 O THE HIGHEST PERFORMING CHARTER TO SHUT THEM DOWN.

ISN'T THAT ODD WHEN WE HAVE 1 IN 4 SCHOOLS IN THE CITY OF NEW YORK FAILING 90% OF TH CHILDREN

BUT THEY -- THEY MAKE THE ARGUMENT THAT YOU ARE DRAINING MONEY, THAT THE CHARTER SCHOOL ARE DRAINING MONEY FROM TH PUBLIC SCHOOLS

WE ARE SAVING THEM MONEY.

THAT YOU ARE TAKING SPACE FROM THEM THAT THEY BADLY NEED SO THE CO-LOCATION WHERE THE CITY PUTS YOU FREE OF CHARGE WHEN POSSIBLE.

I KNOW AN AWFUL LOT ABOUT THIS TOPIC CO-LOCATION IS ONE OF THESE HO BUTTON ISSUES THAT THE TEACHER UNION HAS MADE A BIG DEAL OF THERE'S 200,000 EMPTY SEATS IN THE CITY OF NEW YORK IT'S BEEN THAT WAY FOR A WHILE BECAUSE WE SIMULTANEOUSLY BUIL MORE SEATS, THERE AR DEMOGRAPHIC CHANGES IN CERTAIN COMMUNITIES.

WE HAVE NEVER GONE INTO ANYTHING BUT A GROSSLY UNDERUTILIZE BUILDING IF WE WERE NOT OCCUPYING THA SEAT, THAT SEAT WOULD GO UNUSED.

AND GIVEN A PRECIOUS REA ESTATE, FRANKLY I WOULD THIN THAT THE PUBLIC WOULD WANT US TO USE A SEAT THAT WAS BUILT AN PAID FOR FOR A CHILD TO LEARN IN FOR A HIGH PERFORMING SCHOOL AND THAT IS WHAT WE ARE DOING.

THE BLOOMBERG WAS FRIENDL AND SUPPORTIVE OF CHARTE SCHOOLS AND YOU.

THE DE BLASIO ADMINISTRATION NOT SO MUCH.

HOW HAS THIS LESS POSITIVE ATTITUDE TOWARDS CHARTER SCHOOLS AND YOU AFFECTED THE CHARTER SCHOOL SYSTEM AND SUCCES ACADEMY?

IT'S NOT JUST POSITIV ATTITUDE THE DE BLASIO THREW OUT TH NUMBER ONE SCHOOL IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK IN MATH IN THE ENTIRE STATE OF NEW YORK

THAT WAS ONE OF YOUR SCHOOLS.

THAT WAS ONE OF OUR SCHOOLS IT WAS A SAD DAY FOR CHILDRE AND FAMILIES AND TEACHERS.

IT WAS INCOMPREHENSIBLE WHEN YOU HAVE GOT 143,000 CHILDRE TRAPPED IN FAILING SCHOOLS THA HAVE BEEN FAILING THEM FOR DECADES.

SO MY HOPE IS THAT, YOU KNOW, SHARE WITH -- I KNOW BILL.

I SERVED WITH HIM ON THE CIT COUNCIL.

AND I SHARE HIS PASSION FO SOCIAL JUSTICE I SHARE HIS BELIEF THAT WE ARE A TALE OF TWO CITIES IF YOU ARE AFFLUENT, YOU EITHE GO TO A GOOD ZONED SCHOOL OR YOU MOVE TO THE SUBURBS, OR YOU SEND YOUR KID TO AN INDEPENDENT SCHOOL IF YOU'RE NOT AFFLUENT, YO DON'T HAVE CHOICES YOU ARE TRAPPED IN A FAILING SCHOOL I BELIEVE THAT IS NOT FAIR AND, SO, I SHARE A LOT O VALUES, I THINK, WITH THE MAYOR.

I JUST HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW O HOW WE'LL SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

ALL RIGHT THANK YOU SO MUCH.

IT'S BEEN A PLEASURE TALKING T YOU.

THANKS FOR HAVING ME.

> THINK THE POLAR VORTEX, IC STORMS AND SNOW ARE THINGS T DREAD?

WSKG TAKES US TO MEET MARK CROUTHAMEL WHO TURNS ICE INT WORKS OF ADVENTURE EVERY WINTER.

♪♪♪♪

MY MOST FAVORITE PART ABOUT CARVING ICE IS THE PEOPLES REACTION IT'S BECAUSE IT IS A CONSUMABL ART, NOT JUST IN THE FACT IT'S TEMPORAL, IT MELTS AWAY, BUT IT'S MEANT TO BE DISPLAYED AND VIEWED BECAUSE IT'S SO SHORT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE IT'S NOT LIKE A PIECE OF ART THAT IS MAYBE PAINTED OR A SCULPTURE PAINTED THAT MIGHT FIT INTO A ROOM THAT NOBODY LOOK AT, THIS IS MEANT TO BE USED CONSUMED, THEN IT GOES AWAY.

EVEN THE BIGGER PROJECTS THAT WE DO THAT WE HOPE LAST A WHILE THEY'RE STILL TEMPORARY.

♪♪♪♪

MARK CROUTHAMEL WE'RE ONE OF THE LARGEST ICE MANUFACTURERS OF CRYSTAL CLEAR BOOKS AND ICE SCULPTING EVEN COMPANIES IN THE COUNTRY WE DO A LOT OF INTERACTIVE PIECES WE LIKE PEOPLE TO TOUCH THEM FEEL THEM.

WE GOT TO ALWAYS BE CAREFUL WHEN WE'RE DOING THE LARGER SCULPTURES THAT THEY'RE SAFE SO WE DO LIKE THE INTERACTION.

WE DO A LOT OF INTERACTIVE PIECES WHERE YOU MIGHT SIT O IT, SIT ON IT GET YOUR PHOTO TAKEN, OR SLIDE DOWN IT LIKE A BIG ICE SLIDE.

IN THE WINTER WE DO A LOT OF WINTER CARNIVALS, FAMILY EVENT WHERE PEOPLE COME OUT, THE ENJOY NOT JUST SEEING THE IC SCULPTURES BUT WATCHING US AS WE MAKE THEM.

CHAINSAWS, WELL, CHAINSAW WERE INVENTED TO CARVE WOOD, CUT WOOD WE MODIFY THEM A BIT BY FILING THE RAKERS DOWN.

WE DON'T USE OIL WE GENERALLY USE ELECTRIC ON OUR CHAINSAWS.

THAT'S THE BIG TOOL WHEN WE'RE HAND CARVING, CUTTING, REMOVIN THE BIG PIECES AWAY.

I GET PRETTY CLOSE IN A LOT OF DETAILS AND SHAPING WITH THE CHAINSAW BUT THEN WE USE ROTARY TOOLS MOSTLY CALLED DIVE GRINDERS.

THEY HAVE DIFFERENT BITS WE USE.

MOST OF THEM ARE CUSTOM FOR TH ICE INDUSTRY IT ALLOWS US TO SAND, CHANGE THE TEXTURE, SMOOTH IT OUT, DO FIN DETAILS FOR AN EYE, EYELID, OR THE DETAILS AROUND A HUMAN FACE.

♪♪♪♪ ♪♪♪♪ WE CALL THAT SNOW SCRIPTIN WHERE WE ADD WHITE WHERE WE TAKE AWAY SOME OF THE ICE AND THE PUT IT BACK IN BUT WHEN WE PUT IT BACK IN, IT IS SHAVED ICE.

WHEN WE SHAI THE ICE, IT INCORPORATES AIR BACK INTO THE ICE.

WHEN WE DO THAT, IT STAYS WHITE.

SO WE HAVE A CLEAR AND A WHITE CONTRAST SO WE CALL THAT SNOW SCRIPTING IT'S BASICALLY ENGRAVING BACKFILLING WITH SNOW, A LITTL BIT OF WATER WE PACK IT IT REFREEZES JUST ABOUT AS HAR AS THE ORIGINAL ICE WAS.

IT'S THE SAME CONCEPT THAT YEARS AGO WHEN THE ICE WAS EITHE FREEZING CLEAR OR WHITE, IT HA TO DO WHETHER IT WAS STILL O NOT OR WHETHER THERE WAS AIR I IT OR NOT.

WE'RE FINDING A WAY TO INCORPORATE AIR BACK INTO SOME SECTIONS, IN WHICH CASE WE GRIND IT UP, PACK IT BACK IN MOST OF THE YEAR, WE HAVE A LO OF DIFFERENT SEASONS THAT TAKE US INTO DIFFERENT MARKETS.

THE SPRING AND THE SUMMER AN THE FALL WE DO A LOT OF WEDDING, CORPORATE PIECES A LOT OF PARTY PIECES.

ONCE WE GET PAST THANKSGIVING, WE DO A LOT OF HOLIDAY DESIGNS FOR HOLIDAY PARTIES, CHRISTMAS HANUKKAH PIECES, CORPORATE PARTIES, CHRISTMAS PARTIES BUT THEN EVERY WEEKEND BASICALLY ALL THROUGH DECEMBER, JANUARY, FEBRUARY AND INTO THE BEGINNIN OF MARCH WE'RE ON THE ROAD OR AT HOME DOING LARGE WINTER EVENTS WE MIGHT BE AT A DIFFERENT SKI AREA WHERE WE'RE CREATING BI DISPLAYS OR DOIN DEMONSTRATIONS OR BACK AT OUR PLACE WHERE W CREATE AN EVENT THAT PEOPLE COME TO US TO WATCH EVERY YEAR.

WE DO A LARGE EVENT CALLED CRYSTAL CABIN FEVER.

WE TAKE 100 TONS OF ICE, 800 BLOCKS, WE BUILD AND CONSTRUCT IT'S BOTH ENGINEERING AND AR TOGETHER, WE CONSTRUCT INTERACTIVE PIECES EVERY YEA THAT PEOPLE CAN COME LAST YEAR 12,000 PEOPLE CAME OUT TO IT.

WE DO SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN THE EVENT WORLD THROUGH THE WINTER MONTHS ♪♪♪♪ THERE'S AN EVOLUTION IN IT I GET TO BE ARTISTIC COMMERCIAL, BACK TO ARTISTIC AGAIN, WHICH I ENJOY ♪♪♪♪

> THAT'S IT FOR THIS EDITION OF 'METROFOCUS.'

JOIN US AGAIN NEXT WEEK FO NEWS, CONVERSATION, AND IN-DEPTH REPORTING FROM NEW YORK AND NE JERSEY PUBLIC TELEVISION I'M RAFAEL PI ROMAN.

THANKS FOR WATCHING.

WE'LL SEE YOU NEXT TIME.

> FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS PROVIDED BY THE FOLLOWING -- CORPORATE FUNDING FO 'METROFOCUS' WAS PROVIDED BY MUTUAL OF AMERICA.

YOUR RETIREMENT COMPANY.

©2022 WNET. All Rights Reserved. 825 Eighth Avenue, New York, NY 10019

WNET is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Tax ID: 26-2810489