After Hurricane Irene: Getting Back on Track

After Hurricane Irene: Getting Back on Track

August 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Despite warnings that Monday’s commute would be “tough” in the wake of Hurricane Irene, the Metropolitan Transit Authority was looking pretty good early Monday, with most subways and buses back on track. Still, the MTA warned of less frequent service and longer waiting times.

The Long Island Railroad had also resumed limited service as had the Staten Island Railway.

The Metro-North Railroad was hit the hardest of all of the state’s transportation systems during the storm, according to MTA Chief Jay Walder. Several lines had experienced major flooding and no trains were running on Monday morning.

The Metro-North’s Harlem and Hudson train lines are scheduled to start running at 2 pm on Monday, but there is still no service for the New Haven line.

New Jersey Transit’s rail service was still suspended as of Monday morning, though bus lines were operating on a “modified” schedule.

The PATH system was up and running early Monday morning.

Both JFK and Newark airports began accepting arrivals Monday morning and departures were scheduled to begin at noon, according to the city’s Office of Emergency Management. LaGuardia Airport was also restored to full service.

In New York State, there were four confirmed deaths; in New Jersey there were three; in Connecticut two people were reportedly dead, the Wall Street Journal reported.

As the tail-end of Hurricane Irene left the Tri-State area Sunday, clean-up crews were dispatched to do away with downed trees and flooded streets. MTA workers began the laborious process of getting trains and buses back online.

People wait at Penn Station in New York, where there has been limited transportation due to Hurricane Irene, Saturday, Aug. 27, 2011, in New York. AP Photo/Chelsea Matiash

Though New York City was not hit as hard as was feared, there was still damage to several neighborhoods throughout Manhattan and beyond.

There was inland flooding in New Jersey and Gov. Chris Christie said the storm could cost the state anywhere from $1 billion to tens of billions of dollars, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Over 100,000 Con Edison customers in New York were without power as of Monday morning, according to the utility’s website.

In New Jersey, more than 700,000 homes were still without power as of Monday morning, according to NBC New York. In Connecticut, approximately 740,000 homes still did not have power.

The 9,000 New York City residents who had been evacuated from low-lying coastal areas prepped to return to their home after the city’s evacuation order was lifted at 3 p.m. on Sunday.

“The good news is the worst is over and we will soon move to restore and return mode,” Bloomberg said.

There were about 650 downed trees and no confirmed deaths or injuries in New York City resulting from Hurricane Irene. The hurricane was downgraded to a tropical storm on Sunday.