Great Performances: Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert
Premieres Nationwide Beginning November 30 on PBS (check local listings)
John Legend, Sara Bareilles, Alice Cooper and more star in Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice’s rock opera
New York metro area telecast on Friday, December 6 at 9 p.m. on THIRTEEN
Great Performances: Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert showcases the iconic rock opera featuring music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Tim Rice. Great Performances presents the 2018 Emmy Award-winning production nationwide beginning November 30 on PBS (check local listings). EGOT winner John Legend leads the cast as Jesus Christ with Sara Bareilles as Mary Magdalene and rock legend Alice Cooper as King Herod.
The musical recounts the biblical story of the final weeks of Jesus’ life, focusing on the relationship between Jesus and Judas (Brandon Victor Dixon). When Judas turns on his teacher, his fateful decision sets both men on a path to tragedy. Also featured in the cast is Ben Daniels as Pontius Pilate, Broadway’s Norm Lewis (“Once on This Island,” “The Phantom of the Opera”) as Caiaphas, Jin Ha as Annas, Jason Tam as Peter, and Erik Grönwall as Simon Zealotes.
Originally conceived as a 1970 concept album, “Jesus Christ Superstar” hit No. 1 on the Billboard charts in 1971 and made its Broadway debut that year, earning five Tony nominations. Considered a classic, the musical became a staple of theater and music organizations throughout the world, including 2000 and 2012 Broadway productions that each earned a Tony nomination for Best Revival of a Musical.
- John Legend – Musician and EGOT winner, earned an Emmy Award for Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, multiple GRAMMY Awards, an Oscar for Best Original Song and a Tony Award for co-producing “Jitney.”
- Sara Bareilles – EMMY Award nominee for Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Seven-time GRAMMY-nominated singer, songwriter, actor, composer and lyricist of Tony-nominated Broadway musical “Waitress.”
- Alice Cooper – Three-time GRAMMY-nominated Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, known as “The Godfather of Shock Rock.”
- Brandon Victor Dixon – EMMY Award nominee for Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, Tony-nominated actor for Broadway’s “Shuffle Along,” starred as Aaron Burr in “Hamilton” and Berry Gordy in “Motown the Musical.”
- Norm Lewis – Tony-nominated actor for Broadway’s “Porgy and Bess.” Recently appeared in the Broadway revival of “Once on This Island,” and was the first African American actor to play the title role in “The Phantom of the Opera.”
- Andrew Lloyd Webber – Legendary composer and EGOT winner, earned an Emmy Award for Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, three-time GRAMMY winner, including two awards for Best Cast Show Album (“Evita” and “Cats”), an Oscar for Best Original Song (“You Must Love Me”) and seven-time Tony winner, including three awards for Best Original Musical Score (“Evita,” “Cats” and “Sunset Boulevard”), three for Best Musical (“Cats,” “The Phantom of the Opera” and “Sunset Boulevard”) and one special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement.
- Tim Rice – Legendary lyricist and EGOT winner, earned an Emmy Award for Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert, three Tony Awards (two for “Evita” and one for “Aida”) three Oscars (“Evita,” “The Lion King” and “Aladdin”) and five GRAMMY Awards.
“Heaven on Their Minds”
“What’s the Buzz?”
“Strange Thing Mystifying”
“This Jesus Must Die”
“Simon Zealots/Poor Jerusalem”
“Everything’s Alright (Reprise)”
“I Don’t Know How to Love Him”
“Damned for All Time/Blood Money”
“The Last Supper”
“Pilate and Christ/King Herod’s Song”
“Could We Star Again, Please?”
“Trial Before Pilate/39 Lashes”
Short TV Listing:
Experience Andrew Lloyd Webber’s rock opera starring John Legend, Sara Bareilles and Alice Cooper.
Long TV Listing:
Experience composer Andrew Lloyd Webber’s rock opera starring pop stars John Legend as Jesus and Sara Bareilles as Mary Magdalene with rock legend Alice Cooper as King Herod. Filmed live in concert, the musical recounts the last week of Jesus’ life.
Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert is a production of Storyline Entertainment, Sony Pictures Television, Marc Platt Productions and Universal Television. Directed by David Leveaux, executive producers are Marc Platt, Adam Siegel, Tim Rice, Andrew Lloyd Webber, John Legend, Ty Stiklorius, Mike Jackson, Alex Rudzinski, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron. Great Performances is a production of THIRTEEN Productions LLC for WNET. For Great Performances, Bill O’Donnell is series producer and David Horn is executive producer.
Major funding for Great Performances is provided by The Joseph and Robert Cornell Memorial Foundation, the Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Arts Fund, the Irene Diamond Fund, Rosalind P. Walter, the LuEsther T. Mertz Charitable Trust, The Starr Foundation, the Kate W. Cassidy Foundation, the Thea Petschek Iervolino Foundation, Seton J. Melvin, The Philip and Janice Levin Foundation, and PBS.
Throughout its more than 40-year history on PBS, Great Performances has provided viewers across the country with an unparalleled showcase of the best in all genres of the performing arts, serving as America’s most prestigious and enduring broadcaster of cultural programming. The series is produced by THIRTEEN Productions LLC for WNET. WNET is one of America’s most prolific and respected public media providers.
WNET is America’s flagship PBS station: parent company of New York’s THIRTEEN and WLIW21 and operator of NJTV, the statewide public media network in New Jersey. Through its new ALL ARTS multi-platform initiative, its broadcast channels, three cable services (THIRTEEN PBSKids, Create and World) and online streaming sites, WNET brings quality arts, education and public affairs programming to more than five million viewers each month. WNET produces and presents a wide range of acclaimed PBS series, including Nature, Great Performances, American Masters, PBS NewsHour Weekend, and the nightly interview program Amanpour and Company. In addition, WNET produces numerous documentaries, children’s programs, and local news and cultural offerings, as well as multi-platform initiatives addressing poverty and climate. Through THIRTEEN Passport and WLIW Passport, station members can stream new and archival THIRTEEN, WLIW and PBS programming anytime, anywhere.