There Are No Small Claims, Only…How to File in NYC

July 10, 2011 at 6:00 pm

The Harlem Courthouse contains a small claims court. Flickr/Paul Lowry.

What is a small claims court?

  • It’s a court in which corporations, associations and partnerships can be sued for up to $5,000 without a lawyer.
  • Suits can only be for money, as damages cannot be sued for in a small claims court.

Who can use small claims courts?

  • Anyone over the age of 18 can sue in small claims court.
  • Anyone under 18 can have their parents or guardians sue for them.
  • Corporations, partnerships, associations and assignees cannot sue in a small claims court,  but they can be sued.

Where are small claims courts located?

How do I start a small claims case?

  • Fill out an application, found here.
  • Be prepared to give a brief written statement.
  • Pay a filing fee of $15 or $20, depending on the claim.
  • The defendant must be served with notice of the claim.

What is a counterclaim?

  • A suit in which the defendant files against the claimant.
  • The defendant is required to file his or her counterclaim with the court within five days of receiving notice of the claim, and must pay the court a fee of $5.00 — plus the cost of mailing the counterclaim to the claimant.
  • If the counterclaim is not filed within a five-day period, the judge is required to postpone the case if the claimant (now, also a defendant) requests.

Are there any jury trials in small claims courts?

  • The claimant cannot demand a trial by jury.
  • However, the defendant can demand a trial by jury.
  • The defendant is then required to pay jury costs, plus a $50 fee.

What happens if one party does not appear?

  • If the claimant does not appear, the case is dismissed.
  • If the defendant does not appear, the case can proceed without him or her.
  • In the event that one party does not appear, the losing party can request a reopening and retrying of the case.

After the gavel falls, small claims cases can be appealed. Flickr/Bill Bradford.

Can I appeal the case if I lose?

  • If the case was lead by a judge and you believe the result was unjust, you can appeal.
  • However, if the case was settled between the parties, you cannot appeal.

How can I collect my judgment?

  • After winning, contact the losing party and ask for the owed sum.
  • If the losing party does not pay, you may need the assistance of a law enforcing agent. Present him with all the evidence from the case, and describe what is owed by the losing party.

How do I prepare for trial?

  • Gather evidence to prove your claim or defense.
  • Bring witnesses who have testimony important to your case.
  • The decision will be mailed to the parties a few days after the hearing.

This information was culled from New York State’s online guide to small claims court. Click here for more information.

Mutual of America PSEG


MetroFocus is made possible by James and Merryl Tisch, the Anderson Family Fund, Judy and Josh Weston, Bernard and Irene Schwartz, the Sylvia A. and Simon B. Poyta Programming Endowment to Fight Anti-Semitism, Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Family, The Dorothy Schiff Endowment for News and Public Affairs Programming, Jody and John Arnhold, Rosalind P. Walter, Ellen and James S. Marcus, the Dr. Robert C. and Tina Sohn Foundation, Laura and Jim Ross.


© 2017 WNET All Rights Reserved.

825 Eighth Avenue

New York, NY 10019