Weekly Program Updates / Sign Up

Posted: December 10th, 2009
James Orbinski – An Imperfect Offering

An Imperfect Offering: Humanitarian Action for the Twenty-First Century is a searing personal memoir that is also an urgent call to confront suffering in all its many forms, from one of the greatest living humanitarian activists.  Having seen things we hope never to see, confronted suffering and evil we hope never to encounter, and faced deep personal torment, James Orbinski, M.D. still believes in “the good we can be if we so choose.”  Through his stories, he provides us with lessons in how we can inject humanitarian activity into our lives.   Dr. James Orbinski is past international president of Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders, accepted the Nobel Peace Prize for MSF in 1999 and is the founder of Dignitas International, an organization committed to community-based care for people living with HIV/AIDS in the developing world.

This event was a presentation of the Patron Network of THIRTEEN and WLIW21, in cooperation with The New York Society Library.  For more information on the Patron Network and its many benefits for supporters of THIRTEEN and WLIW21 throughout the year, please click here.

Speakers

Sara Eliott Holliday, The New York Society Library
James Orbinski, M.D., Author, A
n Imperfect Offering: Humanitarian Action for the Twenty-First Century

Recorded at Merkin Concert Hall, September 24, 2009. Runtime: 93 minutes.

• comments (1)
  • Wilians

Posted by on September 12, 2011 at 9:10 pm Hey Donna,Great post and video ! I have found a topic which I truly love and enjoy reading. Here it is, your elenlxect post ! Your question of what we are here for and your answer given is LOVE This makes me realized that I can pay more attention in giving with love and know why one is doing that for .must understand my purpose of giving and differentiate money and prosperity. We are human beings and most of us whenever do our part to give, it is always money that makes people remember that we have rendered our help before but the kind act is often not at all be remembered when thing goes wrong. This is so true and what many don’t realize is that this is happening to the giver as well as the receiver too. Everyone is depending upon someone to give and receive in all ways Thank you very much for this lovely post, Donna. Tome, this is the topic for everyone because all of not only giver but also a receiver !Excellent, Donna CheersPearly

BEYOND THE FORUM

ONLY IN NEW YORK