Weekly Program Updates / Sign Up

Posted: June 25th, 2009
Not Now, Voyager: A Memoir

Taped at Temple Israel, May 13, 2009
Speakers:
Lynne Sharon Schwartz: Author: Not Now, Voyager
running time: 1 hour 4 minutes

Lynne Sharon Schwartz in Not Now, Voyager presents a provocative memoir exploring the meaning of travel—what we seek, what we find, and how we learn about who we really are. Schwartz, who has published critically acclaimed fiction, nonfiction, essays, poetry, and translations from Italian, takes us on a voyage of self-discovery as she traces how travel has shaped her sensibilities from childhood through adulthood. This event was a presentation of the Patron Network of THIRTEEN and WLIW21, in cooperation with The New York Society Library. For more information on the Patron Network and its many benefits for supporters of THIRTEEN and WLIW21 throughout the year, please click here.

• comments (1)
  • Ptincesse

This is so incredible! As I whecatd and listened to the video and later read the comments, I thought about the 19th century French peasant girl – Bernadette of Lourdes. Because of a series of visions she had while in a trance-like state of mind, the miraculous healing waters of Lourdes later became a reality – at least for some although not for Bernadette herself. She was later canonized a “saint” by the Roman Catholic Church. Today thousands of people travel to Lourdes each year seeking miracles of healing for themselves or loved ones. Some claim to be healed but actual documentation of recognized medical cures are, I believe, quite rare. The healing power of the water of Lourdes seems to involve some mysterious interaction between the water itself and the belief of those seeking the healing.

BEYOND THE FORUM

ONLY IN NEW YORK