What are the instructions for downloading and installing this update?
- Click on the above link to download the heritage_2.5_updater.zip archive.
- In the Download dialog box that comes up, select the Save or Save To Disk option.
- In the Save As dialog box that comes up, save the file to your Desktop.
- Once the download is complete, go to your Desktop and double-click on the heritage_2.5_updater.zip file.
It should have the zipfile icon:
Note: If you can not open this file, you need to install WinZip; go to
for a free download.
- A WinZip window will appear displaying the contents of the archive (just 1 file). Double-click on the installer file in the WinZip window, Heritage_2.5_updater.exe, to unzip the file and start the automatic install process.
- The updater will now run. Follow the onscreen instructions to install Heritage 2.5.
- Click on the above link to download the heritage_2.6_updater.zip archive.
- When the download is complete, the archive's contents should automatically unzip onto your Desktop. If it does not automatically unarchive, you'll need to double-click on the heritage_2.6_updater.zip file.
- Once downloaded and unarchived, open the Heritage 2.6 Update for Mac OS folder, and double-click on the Heritage 2.6 for Mac OS Installer application file.
- The updater will now run. Follow the onscreen instructions to install Heritage 2.6.
What new features are included with this update?
The Heritage 2.5/2.6 upgrade contains the following major enhancements:
- Word Search has been reengineered to allow for unlimited single-line multiple-word searches, search results sorted by relevance, and automatic spell-checking of search terms using a database of multilingual spelling variations, transliterations, and anglicizations.
- Bookmarks can link to non-Heritage content located on the Internet or stored locally, to facilitate Heritage-centered classroom presentations that combine Heritage segments with Web sites, PowerPoint presentations, and any other multimedia.
- Bookmarks can be quickly cycled through using the Ctrl-up and Ctrl-down keyboard shortcuts, making bookmark access during classroom presentations easier.
- Operation in full-screen/maximized mode has been enhanced for use with monitors of very high resolutions and hardware that does not properly support 640x480 resolution.
- The Heritage Bookmark Editor utility application is bundled with the upgrade, allowing for advanced offline modification, reordering, annotation, and printing of Heritage Bookmark files.
- [Mac only] Improved compatibility with Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) including a fix to the "thousands of colors" bug.
- Many other bug fixes and efficiency improvements.
What are the requirements for installing and running Heritage 2.5/2.6?
On Windows, you must have Heritage 2.0 or higher already installed and 60MB of free hard drive space. On Mac, you must have the Heritage 2.0 DVD-ROM in the drive while running the update installer, Mac OS X, and 8GB of free hard drive space. To confirm that your copy of Heritage is version 2.0 or higher, check on the spine of the outer box; you will see "HER" followed by a 3 digit number printed near the bottom of the spine. As long as that number is 200 or greater (most likely it will say "HER 200" or "HER 220"), then you have the required version.
Will installing the update preserve all of my existing bookmarks and other files that I have created and/or modified within my Heritage folder?
The updater won't delete or overwrite any file that you created within your Heritage folder. However, it will overwrite your existing Heritage.cfg or Heritage_Mac.cfg file; if you had made any adjustments to your config file you will need to reapply them after the installation. Heritage 2.5/2.6 stores bookmark files in a new location on your hard drive, different from the folder used by older versions of Heritage. On Windows, the updater will automatically copy the entire contents of your Bookmarks folder (including all subfolders and even non-bookmark files) into the new location.
On Windows, the new location is: …\My Documents\Heritage\Bookmarks
On Mac OS, the new location is: ...:Documents:Heritage:Bookmarks
Will my old bookmark files be fully compatible with Heritage 2.5/2.6?
Will bookmarks that I save in 2.5/2.6 be compatible with older versions of Heritage?
Not always. Several bookmark types available in 2.5/2.6 will cause sets to be unusable in older versions: external content, Web site, and Index bookmarks. Please keep this in mind when sending bookmark sets to colleagues or students who have not yet upgraded. Sets created in 2.5/2.6 that do not contain those three bookmark types will work normally in older versions.
Can I use the 2.5 update if I currently run Heritage over a network?
On Windows, yes. To install the upgrade in a network environment, the Heritage server should not be modified. Run the updater individually on each client machine.
How can I remove Heritage 2.5/2.6 and go back to using the older version?
In Windows, to remove Heritage 2.5, you must uninstall the entire Heritage application through the Windows Add/Remove Programs dialog in the Control Panel. Using the automatic uninstall procedure will delete the entire program; then you can reinstall Heritage from the original DVD-ROM.
In Mac OS, you must manually trash the Heritage subfolder in the Applications folder, empty the Trash, and then reinstall Heritage from the original DVD-ROM.
I have a question that is not answered in this FAQ.
Please check the full Heritage 2.5/2.6 readme file for more detailed technical information on using this version of Heritage. The readme file is automatically installed with the 2.5/2.6 update, however you may access it here in advance of downloading and installing the updater file:
Windows version: heritage_2.5_readme.txt
Macintosh version: heritage_2.6_readme_mac.rtf