The first elementary/high school that appeared in Summit was mentioned
in pre-Revolutionary deeds and mortgages. It was located north of
the Carter-Bonnel-Sayre House, which is now 92 River Road. It was
built in 1745.
Deantown was the next school to appear in Summit. It was built
in 1792-1795 and rebuilt in 1842 to accommodate 20 more students.
Located on Glenside Avenue and Morris Avenue, it is now known as Roosevelt
The next school in Summit was the Red School House, built in the
early 1800's. It later led to the foundation of Franklin School.
This building was located on Glenside Avenue, and it later moved to 117
The first public school in Summit was Hamilton School, built in
1878. This school was located on Glenside Avenue. It later became the city
hall. Before this public school was established, townspeople just
got together, hired a teacher, and sent their children to school in someone's
The next school in Summit, the one we know today as the Summit High
School, was originally located on Morris Avenue and Maple Street
and was built in 1923. It then moved to Kent Place Boulevard where
it stands today.
open in a new window)