Students will view video clips and use the Internet to look for hidden
animals. They will then use the Internet to print out animal shapes and
color them. They will then create environments on construction paper in
which their animals can hide.
Students will be able to:
- Use the Internet to find camouflaged animals
- Use the Internet interactively to place animals in their correct
- Design an environmental background in which their animal can hide
- Test the effectiveness of their camouflaged animals
National Science Education Standards, K-4
Develop abilities necessary to do scientific inquiry; understandings about
Develop an understanding of the characteristics of organisms, life cycles
of organisms, and organisms and environments.
Educational Technology Standards for Students
Standard 5. Technology research tools
Students use technology to locate, evaluate, and collect information from
a variety of sources; students use technology tools to process data and
Science for You: Animal Adaptations Why Do Zebras Have Stripes?
Learning: Camouflaged Animals Coloring Book
This site contains over 50 camouflaged animals to read about and color.
Wild Ones Animal Index: Insect Camouflage and Mimicry
This site presents photos of four katydids camouflaged in four different
University of Richmond Education Department: If You Can't Run You've
Got to Hide!
This site discusses camouflage with photo examples.
Publishers: Camouflage Field Book
This is an interactive site. You choose an environment then click on
the animals that can hide there to watch them disappear.
This site presents photos in which you search for camouflaged animals.
As you click through, circles appear to show you where the animals are
This is the plug-in needed for the Harcourt site.
- Animal pictures that can be cut out by students if you can't print
the animal outlines from the Enchanted Learning Web site
- An assortment of materials to glue on the construction paper: fabric,
felt, pipe cleaners, sand, etc.
- 1 piece of construction paper
- Glue stick
- Colored markers and/or crayons
- Wooden craft stick
- Camouflage Chart
- 1 print out from Enchanted Learning: Camouflaged Animals Coloring