3-5 classroom periods
The Cyberchase kids' adventures at "Sensible Flats" introduce
students to the concept of area in an engaging and entertaining way. Cyberchase
is a daily, animated adventure television series and multimedia project
for children ages 8-11, about a team of kids on daring missions in Cyberspace.
Our heroes have to use math and brain power. In this episode, the Cyberchase
kids have to prove that regular and irregular shapes may have the same
area in order to save the day. Interactive Web sites will provide students
with practice in calculating both area and perimeter, and real world problems
will encourage students to discover that math is fun and something we
experience, not just in school, but all around us, everyday.
Students will be able to:
- Select and apply a variety of strategies to solve problems
- Calculate the area and perimeter of regular and irregular shapes
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between area and
Council of Teachers of Mathematics Standards
- Students will recognize and use connections among mathematical ideas.
- Students will analyze characteristics and properties of two- and
three-dimensional geometric shapes and develop mathematical arguments
about geometric relationships.
- Students will apply transformations and use symmetry to analyze
- Students will use visualization, spatial reasoning, and geometric
modeling to solve problems.
- Students will understand measurable attributes of objects and the
units, systems, and processes of measurement.
- Students will apply appropriate techniques, tools, and formulas
to determine measurements.
- Students will build new mathematical knowledge through problem solving.
- Students will apply and adapt a variety of appropriate strategies
to solve problems.
Cyberchase #105: Sensible Flats
These three interactive sites challenge students to determine the area
of a shape based on its perimeter or the perimeter of a shape based on
Manipulative - Geoboard
Follow the activities for this interactive, manipulative tool to visually
represent the area of irregular shapes or create ones to match specific
Mac/PC, Key Curriculum Press. This program enables students to visualize
Per student or pair of students:
- Set of markers or crayons
- Pair of scissors
- Glue stick or other adhesive