The Digital Divide
Here are resource lists for your students to use as they complete the lesson activities. Print the Student Organizer and distribute copies to each of your students.
Digial Divide Resource List
Martin Luther King, Jr. Resource List
Research Resource Chart
Time allotment: This lesson can be modified to fit the time that is available for it.
Have there been events in history where one group has had privileges or access to resources that were denied another group because of race, gender, or socioeconomic status?
- Who was effected by the "divide?"
- Was there more then one group effected by the "divide?"
- Does that "divide" still exist today?
- What is a "divide?"
Keeping Track of Research Results
Use the Resource Chart to gather the following information:
- What research tool you used?
- How Many resources did you locate?
- When are these resources available to you?
For each resource identify the following
- What is the resource
- When was the resource published?
- Who wrote and published the resource?
- How many copies of the resource are available?
- Do you think the information is up to date?
- How do you know the information is accurate?
Is Technology Important?
- What divide did you research?
- Who did it effect?
- What research tool did you use?
- What were its strengths and weaknesses?
Who has access to technology?
- Who did you contact to find out about students access to technology?
- Do all students have equal access to technology?
- Are there specific groups of people who not have access to technology?
- Where did you locate your information?
Solving the Problem
- What "divide" did you research?
- Who did this "divide" effect? (Here, the teacher may want to guide the students to understand that although not everyone is directly affected by a "divide", we are all affected by the suppression of others).
- Was the information you found consistent with what you knew about the "divide"? What was similar and what was different?
- From whose point of view was the information you found? Was it biased?
- Does the "divide" still exist today?