AIDS, HIV, & Other Microbe Matters
Answer the following questions based on your Web research about infection and microbes.
GERMS & INFECTION
Read the online essay by Varuni Kulasekera and play the Infection! (http://www.amnh.org/explore/infection/03_inf/03_inf.html) game. Then see if you can answer questions 1-3.
1. Name two ways that harmful microbes ("germs") can get inside the human body.
2. After playing the Infection! game, list three ways that the body fights infection.
3. What are three things you can do to help keep your immune system strong so it can fight infection?
Read the online essay titled Meet the Microbes (http://www.amnh.org/explore/infection/ 01_mic/01_mic.html), then answer questions 4 and 5.
4. What are two ways that viruses are different from bacteria?
5. Are all microbes harmful to humans?
Play the Amazing Microbe Hunters (http://www.amnh.org/explore/infection/ 05_hnt/05_hnt.html) game, then answer questions 6 and 7.
6. What discovery made Anthony van Leeuwenhoek a well-known "microbe hunter"?
7. If you were a microbe scientist, what question would you want to answer?
HIV & AIDS
Read these two online resources and then answers questions 8-10: The AIDS Handbook (http://www.eastchester.k12.ny.us/schools/ms/AIDS/AIDS2.html) (written by middle school kids) and KidsHeath.org (http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/health_problems/infection/hiv.html).
8. What is the difference between HIV and AIDS?
9. How does the HIV virus affect the body's immune system?
10. How can people keep from getting AIDS?
Now add five questions from the class's list. Try answering them using the Web sites you have already visited.