Exploring New York City's Ethnic Neighborhoods
Overview | Activities
Exploring New York City's ethnic neighborhoods can encourage language development and help familiarize English language learners with the many cultures that make up their new city. This lesson moves students out of the classroom and asks them to document their observations, interview locals, and present their findings about the neighborhoods of Harlem, Jackson Heights, and Williamsburg.
Level: ESL (Grades 6-12)
Subject Matter: ESOL, Language Arts and Geography
Students will be able to:
Standards: New York State Education Department-Virtual Learning System
- develop reading, writing, speaking and listening skills
- build their knowledge of the neighborhoods and cultural groups in New York City
- gain experience using the NYC subway system
- develop interviewing skills
- develop research skills
- develop technology skills
Standard 1 English for information and understanding
Standard 4 - English for classroom and social interaction
- Students learning English as a second language will use English to acquire, interpret, apply and transmit information for content area learning and personal use. They will develop and use skills and strategies appropriate to their level of English proficiency to collect data, facts, and ideas; discover relationships, concepts, and generalizations; and use knowledge generated from oral, written, and electronically produced texts.
- Students learning English as a second language will use English to interact with others in social and classroom situations. They will develop and use skills and strategies appropriate to their level of English proficiency to communicate effectively with regard to audience, purpose, and setting.
The International Express
This site offers the revised online version of The International Express: A Guide to Ethnic Communities Along the 7 Train
This site allows teachers to customize word searches and crossword puzzles using their word lists.
- Merriam-Webster Online
This site provides a free online dictionary, thesaurus, audio pronunciations, Word of the Day, word games, and other English language resources.
- Colored pencils
- Colored paper
- Digital or disposable cameras if possible
Prep for Teachers:
- Review materials and websites.
- Download The International Express: A Guide to Ethnic Communities Along the 7 Train
- Complete the field trip schedule and guide
- Schedule computer lab if appropriate.
- Make copies of handouts for students.
- Cut One Question Interview into strips.