• 50 Years - A Million Thanks
A Walk Through the Bronx - With David Hartman and Historian Barry Lewis
A Walk Through the Bronx - With David Hartman and Historian Barry Lewis
History See the Sites Interactive Map About the Program Resources
A Walk Through the Bronx - With David Hartman and Historian Barry Lewis See the Sites Join Thirteen receive a gift
The Bronx River
The New York Botanical Garden
The Bronx Zoo
Arthur Avenue
Fordham University
Poe Cottage
Montefiore Medical Center
Woodlawn Cemetery
The Van Cortlandt House
Wave Hill
The Bartow-Pell Mansion
Orchard Beach
City Island
Yankee Stadium
Loews Paradise Theater
The Point

Fordham University
Photo of Fordham University's Keating Hall, built in 1936.

Fordham University was founded in 1841 as St. John's College by the Right Reverend John Hughes, Coadjuctor-Bishop (later Archbishop) of New York on Rose Hill Manor in the village of Fordham, then part of Westchester County. In 1948, Bishop Hughes allowed the Society of Jesus to assume administration of the College. The Jesuit administration officially changed the college's name to Fordham University in 1907 and, in 1969, the board of trustees was reorganized to include a majority of non-clergy members. Since them Fordham University has remained "an independent university in the Jesuit tradition." Today, the main campus is still located on Rose Hill, but the University has expanded internationally to include campuses in Manhattan, Westchester County, Armonk, New York, and a Graduate School of Business in Beijing, China.

Next