Download the Viewer's Guide
This Viewer's Guide is meant to help you think about and talk about the issues
raised in the PBS program BEFORE I DIE: MEDICAL CARE AND PERSONAL CHOICES.
To download a free, desktop-quality PDF format
of the Viewer's Guide, click here. You'll need an Adobe Acrobat Reader,
which is free and downloadable from
Adobe's Web Site.
- An introduction by Dr. Ira Byock, a specialist in end-of-life issues
and a participant in the program.
- Five brief essays that place the major themes and issues in context
and provide some background to aid you in your discussions.
- Thought-provoking discussion questions, keyed to each essay.
- Fact boxes with key information about advance planning, hospice and
"comfort" care, end-of-life medical treatments, money and legal issues.
- A glossary of key terms.
- An up-to-date Resource and Reference Section to help you learn more
about the issues that concern you the most, including suggestions for
further reading, addresses and phone numbers of relevant organizations,
and web sites.
- Suggestions on how to use the guide, after viewing the program,
to stimulate an informed discussion about end-of-life issues.